Metroplex
Sponsored by

ISO Good Tex-Mex

14,765 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chick79
one more time
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently moved back to the DFW area after 10 years in Houston. It's been great, except I haven't found Mexican food much better than "meh".

If anyone has had the beef fajitas and green rice from el tiempo in Houston, that's what I'm looking for! Appreciate any recommendations.
Quinn
AG
DFW is a really big place. Where in DFW?
george07
AG
I'm from Houston and have lived in Fort Worth for 11 years. I've adapted and the Tex mex here is decent, but I haven't found anywhere as good as El Tiempo in DFW. I wish they would open here.
Buford Tannen
AG
Go dig up some of the old FW Tex-Mex threads.
one more time
AG
You aren't wrong! Didn't want to limit it because I will drive for the good stuff

Work near Dallas med center when I am in the office. Live in Midlothian and travel towards aledo to visit family so if it's south of Saginaw-grapevine-university park I'll add it to the list to try out.

Hell my SIL just moved to McKinney so I suppose north Dallas is fair game as well.

one more time
AG
Thanks I half ass tried a tex Mexican forum search before posting. Will try again with a little more effort
mavsfan4ever
AG
one more time said:

You aren't wrong! Didn't want to limit it because I will drive for the good stuff

Work near Dallas med center when I am in the office. Live in Midlothian and travel towards aledo to visit family so if it's south of Saginaw-grapevine-university park I'll add it to the list to try out.

Hell my SIL just moved to McKinney so I suppose north Dallas is fair game as well.

Just throwing out some good options in Dallas, but it depends on what you want. They are all different. I don't typically get fajitas, so there may be other places with good/better fajitas. But I like all of the below.

Avila's, Maraiano's Hacienda, Tupinamba, Enchilada's, Joe Leo, Blue Goose, Desperado's.

There are also tons of higher end places and mexican/seafood places. But I put those in a different category than tex mex.
rebag00
AG
I've never been to Mi Tiempo in Houston, so I am unfamiliar with the exact stuff you're talking about, but there are plenty of good Tex-Mex places in Dallas. Ojeda's on Maple has good mole and is above average for Tex-Mex - also one of the better San Antonio-style puffed tacos in town (though nothing like the ones down there). I also like Avila's for lunch but I've not been there in a while. And Mia's on Lemmon is good for standard Tex-Mex.
BoomGoesThe
My favorite place is Pepe's & Mito's in Deep Ellum. I've been going there since 2002 and have never had a bad or even "meh" meal. Their tacos al carbon, chipotle enchiladas, tacos al pastor (and Norteno) are all really, really good. Their salsa and margaritas are also muy bueno.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Mariano's and la hacienda ranch are ok.
dave94
AG
E Bar on Haskell just east of Central.
wbt5845
AG
So the Arlington Pioneer Parkway run is in play.

Line of great mom nd pop Mexican places in central Arlington along Pioneer Parkway. Papaya Grill, Los Magueyitos, Danielitas, Los Pastores are all excellent.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Los Molcahetes in Haltom City
mavsfan4ever
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

My favorite place is Pepe's & Mito's in Deep Ellum. I've been going there since 2002 and have never had a bad or even "meh" meal. Their tacos al carbon, chipotle enchiladas, tacos al pastor (and Norteno) are all really, really good. Their salsa and margaritas are also muy bueno.

Agree Pepe y mitos is good. Forgot that on my list. One of the best micheladas I've had.
aggiesherpa
AG
Casa Navarro at Marsh and forest.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Tupinamba Cafe on 75
Quinn
AG
I'll second the suggestion for E Bar on N Haskell (East of 75). https://ebartexmex.com/?

I also like Javiers on Cole (West of 75), but that's more upscale Mexican rather than Tex-mex.
Saxsoon
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Tupinamba Cafe on 75

Aggie owned (or at best a lot of A&M stuff and a steak named after RC. One of the better places and has some more traditional Mexican food for this gringo who grew up on the border.

Another more traditional Mexican place is tipicos in Carrollton (and another near Love Field)
one more time
AG
I tried Avila's in my first couple weeks up here. I liked it and would go back. Thanks for the recs. I'm sure The perfect bite is out there
one more time
AG
BoomGoesThe said:

Actually had plans to go there tonight until a daycare bug struck. Excited to try this one.
one more time
AG
wbt5845 said:

So the Arlington Pioneer Parkway run is in play.

Line of great mom nd pop Mexican places in central Arlington along Pioneer Parkway. Papaya Grill, Los Magueyitos, Danielitas, Los Pastores are all excellent.

it definitely is. Grew up going to Mercado Juarez a little south of there. Will save these for the next time I am over there.
The Pilot
AG
More Mexican than Tex-Mex but El Ranchito near Bishop Arts is really good.
aezmvp
Mia's on Lemmon. New spot but has been great for decades.
AggieP18
Just go to one of the 5-6 Anamia's in the DFW area. Best salsa around and have never had a bad meal there.
SoCalAg97
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Mariano's and la hacienda ranch are ok.

Mariano's beef fajitas are more than just OK . I've been to El Tiempo and they are just as good.
Bmac04
AG
Las Palmas in Uptown
Hincemm
AG
another vote for Los Pastores in Arlington
MIAGD
AG
Tio Tony's for brunch in Midlothian has been great.
Cramp00
Taking the kids to Campo Verde tonight. Food is ass but trains and lights keep the s heads busy.
chick79
AG
Five I frequent regularly:

Fernandos
Glorias
Tupinamba
Desperadoes
Lupes Tortilla
dcbowers
AG
aezmvp said:

Mia's on Lemmon. New spot but has been great for decades.

I can't think of Mia's without remembering this moment.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cramp00
Hour wait for campo verde. Plan B to Bobby V's
FTAco07
AG
Muchacho in Preston center has the best fajitas in town, but it's a bit more expensive than typical Tex mex as it's a chef driven place in Preston Center.

E-Bar is my go to for enchiladas and Jorge's tacos and the best overall Tex mex spot in town IMO.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I went to e-bar this weekend for the first time and can report it's good. It'll be in my rotation from now on. Can't believe I'd never heard of it before.
dave94
AG
One other suggestion is Primo's that recently reopened in Uptown. Their salsa is awesome. Ask for the hot one, they have two types.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.