Metroplex
Sponsored by

ISO Good Tex-Mex

14,813 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chick79
CoppellAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I love the Beef Fajitas from La Hacienda Ranch (Mariano's) - haven't found any other places where the meat is as tender. Lupe's is not bad but not quite as good. We usually get a double order so that we can take some home for breakfast tacos the next morning.
YouBet
AG
big ben said:

Whatever happened to Luna de Noche?
Pretty decent place. Always wondered about them as well. I'm guessing rent got way too high at NorthPark and just generally too much competition but who knows.
ftworthag02
AG
Our family has always liked Uncle Julios over the past 20+yrs. Sister worked there during summers and Christmas break while at A&M in the 90s.

We use to love El Rancho Grande but they retired and sold to the owner of "the original" which we've never been a fan of.

I know you're looking for more of tex mex but if you want a good/safe taqueria we like Tacos La Bangueta. Their tacos and gorditas are great. I like the carnitas and lengua.
https://www.tacoslabanquetapurodf.com/
AgBQ-00
AG
My favorite fajitas are at Maria Cuca's in Keller on 377. Their other dishes are really good as well. The only thing I don't like there is the burritos. They are too big and seem to go soggy too fast. Bonus is they have sneaky good margaritas.
double aught
AG
Pappasito's is pretty dialed in on fajitas.
YouBet
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Our family has always liked Uncle Julios over the past 20+yrs. Sister worked there during summers and Christmas break while at A&M in the 90s.

We use to love El Rancho Grande but they retired and sold to the owner of "the original" which we've never been a fan of.

I know you're looking for more of tex mex but if you want a good/safe taqueria we like Tacos La Bangueta. Their tacos and gorditas are great. I like the carnitas and lengua.
https://www.tacoslabanquetapurodf.com/

Many, many moons ago Uncle Julio's was the place where I discovered medium rare beef. Sounds dumb but I grew up eating it medium plus to well and never knew any different. Was always indifferent to steak and beef because of it.

I ordered the tacos al carbon and with the first bite it was like a veil had been lifted on reality. I think I talked about them for weeks afterwards and have always ordered beef the same way ever since.
ftworthag02
AG
their steak fajitas are amazing. I make them at home using the pappasitos recipe using a loin flap.
Proposition Joe
Maybe we're basic, but all the way around it's tough to beat Uncle Julios for us. Steak fajitas, queso, tortillas. Once they started doing their "margarita of the month" and you top your meal off with a peach or plum margarita. Tough to beat IMO.
YouBet
AG
I need to go back to Uncle Julio's. I haven't actually eaten there in at least 16-17 years.
ftworthag02
AG
Amen brother! Every time my brother comes up from Austin he has to have the Guadalajara platter.
Decay
AG
I thought I was just a dirty gringo for liking Uncle Julio's. I like their salsa, fajitas, shrimp dishes, and the honey chipotle stuff.
dave94
AG
As a hispanio even I fell in love with Julio's growing up when my brother worked there. Still love their tortillas and red sauce enchiladas.
Proposition Joe
YouBet said:

I need to go back to Uncle Julio's. I haven't actually eaten there in at least 16-17 years.

It was never one of our favorites when younger. Not sure if they upped their game or what, but about 10 years or so ago it became our go-to.
GAC06
AG
Mi Cocina is better than Uncle Julios
Goose
AG
I like whichever Mexican food place is nearest my house that'll serve me 3 enchiladas, rice, and beans for about $10-$11. Ideally, it'd be $8-$9, and with red and white checked vinyl table cloths and the salt/pepper/sugar/ketchup/hot-sauce in a cardboard corona six-pack holder at each table. Extra points for a full-on DJ booth in the corner that only gets fired up on Friday and Saturday nights when they move all the tables out of the way and turn the whole place into a dance place. In my mind though, TexMex was never intended to be fancy, so any efforts to do so are pretty much wasted on me. And I am morally opposed to any thought that I should pay a premium for it.
GAC06
AG
Why would a Tex Mex place have ketchup
powerbelly
AG
GAC06 said:

Because those places often have outstanding burgers and fries
Goose
AG
powerbelly said:

GAC06 said:

Because those places often have outstanding burgers and fries
Yeah they do. The chicken fried steak with the yellowish cream gravy aint bad either.
tamu2009
AG
Newish place in Richardson on arapaho/plano rd called Pinedas is pretty darn good. Ate there for the first time last weekend and the serano queso is excellent as well as their beef fajita nachos. Guy that used to run Casa Milagro now runs that place. HIGHLY recommend
double aught
AG
Yeah, that place is good. The loss of Casa Milagro haunts me to this day.
chick79
AG
I live within walking distance of the old Casa Milagro. Used to be our favorite spot. Pinedas is good. Only tried it once though. May need to go back.
dcAg
Desperado's
DallasAg2
AG
Mi Dia from scratch for fajitas, especially the family meal to-go. Love the queso
planoaggie123
AG
Definitely agree on Mi Dia and their to-go family meals. Not my favorite place but they have the best family style meal + $5 to-go margaritas
MsDoubleD81
AG
Anamia's!
planoaggie123
AG
Had their quest tonight at a get together. Good stuff.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I've lost track of all where they've expanded to. Coppell and Flower Mound were my regular.
planoaggie123
AG
Ours was from the Plano location.
91AggieLawyer
AG
aezmvp said:

Mia's on Lemmon. New spot but has been great for decades.

Great food but they didn't solve their parking issue. Now we don't go there.

Our go-to place is usually Ojedas but we'll hit Enchaladas on Greenville sometimes. There's another small place on Maple down from Ojedas thats pretty good -- Avillas. Parking sucks there too, but they don't have a huge crowd so it doesn't end up being too bad.

I want to try the Arlington places listed here.
YouBet
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

aezmvp said:

Mia's on Lemmon. New spot but has been great for decades.

Great food but they didn't solve their parking issue. Now we don't go there.

Our go-to place is usually Ojedas but we'll hit Enchaladas on Greenville sometimes. There's another small place on Maple down from Ojedas thats pretty good -- Avillas. Parking sucks there too, but they don't have a huge crowd so it doesn't end up being too bad.

I want to try the Arlington places listed here.

Avillas is terrible at lunch. I've literally been trapped in their parking lot before. Worst parking in Dallas. At least Mias had valet as an option, if you wanted it.
NATE AG03
AG
My go to is Ojeda's on Maple. I think they have other outposts, but the Maple location is my spot near the downtown Dallas area. In fact, this thread has enticed me to go there right now for lunch.
planoaggie123
AG
NATE AG03 said:

My go to is Ojeda's on Maple. I think they have other outposts, but the Maple location is my spot near the downtown Dallas area. In fact, this thread has enticed me to go there right now for lunch.

Took my FIL to that exact spot this past Friday for his 70th birthday...it was his pick...i had only been to the Plano location but we enjoyed it....
Goose
AG
NATE AG03 said:

Day Manager is Frank Castillo, good dude. Tell him Dan up in Richardson says hey and that we miss him. (He managed the Manny's at Coit and Campbell for a good while and we're pretty much regulars there. Great guy)
murphyag
AG
YouBet said:

big ben said:

Whatever happened to Luna de Noche?
Pretty decent place. Always wondered about them as well. I'm guessing rent got way too high at NorthPark and just generally too much competition but who knows.
They also had a location on Preston Road in Plano and one in North Garland. All of them closed. Always wondered what happened.
murphyag
AG
tamu2009 said:

Newish place in Richardson on arapaho/plano rd called Pinedas is pretty darn good. Ate there for the first time last weekend and the serano queso is excellent as well as their beef fajita nachos. Guy that used to run Casa Milagro now runs that place. HIGHLY recommend
Thanks for posting this. Going to try the place. Several of my neighbors will be excited. We used to drive from Lucas a few times a month to eat at Casa Milagro.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.