Metroplex
Sponsored by

HEB coming to the Metroplex in 2022 (IT'S HAPPENING)

22,538 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Ken Adams
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
or Kiolbasa Peppered Bacon
MW03
AG
I'm a pretty big fan of Market Street, personally. Never had a bad experience there whatsoever, and the kids that work there are always on point. I am pleased to have access to some decent flour tortillas, though.

Aside from my time at A&M, I'm not all that familiar with HEB. I stop in there when I'm on the road for work and need supplies, but it's been a very long time since I went shopping for proper groceries at one. For you HEB experts, what should I be looking for besides tortillas that I can't get elsewhere?
coastalAg
AG
Ive never shopped at Market Street, but comparing to Kroger and Tom Thumb...

I find HEB to have more variety and better quality of meat, produce, and dairy typically at better prices. We do love the Hill Country Fare fajitas as well as the many other premarinated options they usually have. As mentioned, the HEB branded items are a really good value and typically equal in quality to the name brands.

The shopping experience is also very good. The stores are clean, well stocked, well staffed and well laid out. Its rare to have to wait in a long line to checkout and they will have someone to bag your groceries for you. You also wont constantly be dodging cardboard displays stuck in the middle of aisles like at Kroger.

HEB also has a soft spot with me for the ways they engage in their communities. Floods, Hurricanes, COVID...they always adapt and go above and beyond to serve their community.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
All of this.

Hill Country Fare/HEB brands are also just as good as, if not better than name brands.

HEB also has great coupons every week, and it'll be things that make sense. Some of the ones this week in Frisco are things like buy burgers and get brioche buns for free, or buy pasta and get marinara sauce for free.

Their meal deals are those coupons on a larger scale. This week theirs is buy 2 packs of marinated fajita meat, and get chips, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortillas for free
Ervin Burrell
AG
979ag said:

With prices compariable to Wal Mart, and cleanliness/clientele similar to Whole Foods, it is simply a better shopping experience than anywhere else.

Last time I went to Kroger there were two families at the door panhandling for money, a shirtless kid running rampant through the store, and a group of teens smoking where you get the carts inside the store. Couple those factors with the fact I dont think the floors have ever been cleaned since the store has opened, it really makes you appreciate HEB. (Discolsure, I grew up in south texas and recently moved to DFW. HEB is king)
I get it - I've been in plenty of HEB's over the years and they are great stores. I just find the fanboy nature of their regular customers a bit offputting...it's like the crossfit of grocery stores.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
I've been fanboying over the Plano location hard ever since they announced it. I live about 10 minutes away from that location.

I'm excited that my grocery bills will be cut down, and that I'll no longer have to pick through rotten produce or be given expired product when I do a drive up order like I get with Kroger.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Just went to Prosper Preston Kroger and every door had "Now Hiring" signs, like maybe they just had a mass exodus of employees. My reward for going to Kroger, bought an organic, pre-packaged sirloin steak for my son because I'm not buying him tenderloin, marked Oct 9 and the thing was absolutely putrid when i opened it.
cadetjay02
AG
I went this evening, got there about 830. Had to wait in line about 5 minutes to get in. The entrance on the east side of the store had a much shorter line. They're starting to run out of certain things, maybe they'll be able to restock tonight. Saturday should be an as bad if not worse than Wednesday.
I've got my jalapeño bacon, tortillas, and green sauce ready for breakfast in the morning,
AgsWin2011
AG
Have things calmed down since it's been open about 10 days? We need to go to the store this weekend and would like to go, but I'm not waiting in line to get into a grocery store.
bco2003
AG
Definitely calmer during the week. I would expect the weekends to still be crazy though. Maybe not relatively early in the morning though.
ChoppinDs40
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Have things calmed down since it's been open about 10 days? We need to go to the store this weekend and would like to go, but I'm not waiting in line to get into a grocery store.

Went around 5pm tonight. Busy as hell inside but no wait to get in. They have 3 employees per register so things move FAST.

Shelves were stocked with lots of people on the floor. This is a mega event for HEB. The ladies at our register were from a San Angelo store. Guy letting people in the store last weekend was a store manager in Midland.
AgsWin2011
AG
We got there this morning after 9am. It was pretty busy inside and definitely hard to navigate all the traffic. Was worth it after not having an HEB since we moved from CS this summer. There was a line to get in once we checked out.

I was talking to one of the store managers when we were checking out. He said the Plano location opens up in about 5 weeks. I figure that will help with some of the congestion.

I've heard the BBQ Restaurant in the store is actually pretty decent. I'll have to try it in a few months once the new wares off (at least I hope).
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
We got there around 945 and we walked right in. Was definitely difficult to navigate inside the store.

Got what we wanted, shelves weren't empty at all, and took maybe 15-20 minutes to check out
ChoppinDs40
AG
Any update on Plano? My wife went to Frisco last night at 8:45 and said it felt like a normal grocery store, crowd wise.

She was there for 2 hours taking it all in.
Ken Adams
AG
There's an HEB Plano Instagram account that posted opening day is October 26th. Account doesn't look "official" so hopefully it's legit. Sooner the better to take even a little pressure off Frisco.
DallasAggie89
AG
My wife went to Frisco last week and the cashier told her that Plano was pushed back two weeks due to not being able to hire enough employees. She didn't get an actual date for the opening.
aggiespartan
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

My wife went to Frisco last week and the cashier told her that Plano was pushed back two weeks due to not being able to hire enough employees. She didn't get an actual date for the opening.
Yesterday a cashier told me 2 weeks. He was from the college station store, so they still have people from other stores working. I thought it would have calmed down a little bit, but it was still pretty crazy.
bco2003
AG
Looks like the Plano store will be opening Wednesday Nov. 2nd per the DMN.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2022/10/17/h-e-bs-plano-store-will-open-nov-2/
danieljustin06
AG
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/h-e-b-announces-plans-for-first-store-in-fort-worth/3106835/

Heritage Trace and Riverside coming in 2024
akaggie05
AG
Wake me up when the press release comes out about them taking over all Tom Thumb locations.
mosdefn14
AG
Yawn. Need something between White settlement rd and 1187, west of 35 but still in tarrant county…you know, "Fort Worth"
zag213004
AG
danieljustin06 said:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/h-e-b-announces-plans-for-first-store-in-fort-worth/3106835/

Heritage Trace and Riverside coming in 2024

Hell yeah it is!!!!!! My future grocery store
danieljustin06
AG
I'm still waiting for them to say they will be building in Denton. I live very close to that land.
ChoppinDs40
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I'm still waiting for them to say they will be building in Denton. I live very close to that land.
they're building one at 423/380... Denton county?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Since when?
ChoppinDs40
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Since when?

Hasn't been formally announced but they own a big tract at the southwest corner. I'm in a real estate deal right now that owns a smaller tract around it. We're under contract to sell it to Freddy's burgers and custard.

Now that I think about it… may be 377/380. Need to go back and look - you have me questioning it now lol.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Oh I know the lot they have there but they have owned it for over 10 years.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Yeah… that's a prime location too. As if the traffic at that corner needs to get any worse.

They're going to be saturated in the nicer burbs.

As an aside, I did an HEB pickup in Frisco yesterday.

Man, their app is so much better than Kroger and pickup is faster/ more available/ efficient. I picked up at 1030, texted the number and the guy was out within 90 seconds. NO substitutions. We were also able to add items that morning and still get it filled. Kroger you're locked out like 24 hours in advance.

Another funny note, our in-laws are up from San Antonio and we were comparing prices in the weekly ad we get vs theirs. HEB is running hard at this market. Every comparable item we found was cheaper up here, some significantly, like 25% or more less.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I am more pumped to have the one at Frontier and DNT. Once the new HS opens up at the corner of Fish Trap and Teel, traffic over there will suck even worse than it does now.
agcrock2005
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I don't think the demographics are what they're looking for to start out. It seems they're going into very population dense locations with higher incomes to start out. I live in Northlake so I wish they would as well, but don't see it happening anytime soon.
ChoppinDs40
AG

I am more pumped to have the one at Frontier and DNT. Once the new HS opens up at the corner of Fish Trap and Teel, traffic over there will suck even worse than it does now.
I am stoked we're zoned to PHS and will be for the foreseeable future. I didn't graduate from that specific high school but I am a PHS alum!

Will be good once tollway gets developed a little more... I see the quick trips down fishtrap to Home Depot and those spots over there in my rearview mirror... 380 is the plague.

Once more stuff gets opened at Gates Phase II and III I think we'll be heading east more often. They need to get it moving on the overpass at DNT/380. So tired of that bottleneck.

Also... any idea what's going on at Panther Creek and DNT? they're tearing down that bridge? what for?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Only partially. It's for the widening I was told.

I still tend to go to the Lowe's on 380 and Custer more as I'm already at Coit and Prosper Trail so frequently. Windsong area and 380 west of DNT is indeed a plague.
ChoppinDs40
AG

I still tend to go to the Lowe's on 380 and Custer more as I'm already at Coit and Prosper Trail so frequently. Windsong area and 380 west of DNT is indeed a plague.
I always thought you were in Light Farms or Star Trail, or is your house in Star Trail not complete?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
ChoppinDs40 said:

I always thought you were in Light Farms or Star Trail, or is your house in Star Trail not complete?
We moved in back in June. We were in Lilyana previously.
ChoppinDs40
AG

ChoppinDs40 said:

We moved in back in June. We were in Lilyana previously.
so are you in the Falls or Deer Run?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.