Metroplex
Sponsored by

HEB coming to the Metroplex in 2022 (IT'S HAPPENING)

22,530 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Ken Adams
Trajan88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couple recent experiences at a Kroger and Tom Thumb...

Deli counter for meats... asked for 2/3 lb.

The deli workers sliced the meat and placed on the scale... way below 2/3 lb. The workers looked at me to see if I am good with it.

I realize the workers had no idea what 2/3 lb. equates to in decimals.

I say "Make it 0.67. "

Moral of the story: ask for deli meats in min. 1 lb increments or in decimal format if <1 lb.

Ooof!

The McKinney sight is coming along..
ChoppinDs40
AG
They've hired 700 employees for the Frisco location.

700!!!!
double aught
AG
Wow. For one store? I don't know anything about groceries, but that seems like a ton.
ChoppinDs40
AG
double aught said:

Wow. For one store? I don't know anything about groceries, but that seems like a ton.

That's what I was told. That store may become one of the highest grossing in the company. Or the Plano spring creek location.
coastalAg
AG
700 is a lot, but may be right for some of these very large stores. HEB runs big curbside pickup and delivery operations and they actually properly staff their checkout lanes with checkers and baggers during peak times.
Trajan88
AG
Re: 700 employees.

Heard somewhere that H-E-B is bringing on so many because that number will be needed to accommodate for seasonal workers... eventually settling at 500+ at any given time.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Trajan88 said:

Re: 700 employees.

Heard somewhere that H-E-B is bringing on so many because that number will be needed to accommodate for seasonal workers... eventually settling at 500+ at any given time.
I'm sure they're overstaffing to make sure this goes off without a hitch. I expect there to be ample checkout lanes open, extra deli/bakery/wine/prepared food people.

Someone on the Britney Spears mic cooking up dishes with a chef hat all day.

BBQ and beer pouring will be packed. 25 lanes of pickup/curbside going non-stop.

They're planning FEMA-like demand - rightfully so.
The Collective
AG
Feels like there are at least 100 HEB employees shopping in the Hudson Oaks location at any given moment in their store. I bet they have a ton of employees.
catfan
Kroger's going to get killed up there.

Wish HEB would come down south and compete with Tom Thumb in north Dallas.
Trajan88
AG
Good... Kroger needs the competition. Maybe they'll step up their cust. service.

It is annoying when at 8:00 pm the Kroger on Eldorado locks the doors on one side (seems like it is a random time they do this) so then one has to walk to the other open automatic doors and once inside walk back to the area of the store that initially tried to enter.

If Kroger is going to do this (due to theft / shrinkage?) then just close the store at 8:00 every night and be done with it.
AggieDoc10
AG
I just came here to say I moved to Frisco recently, and am considering staying up all night to be at the H-E-B opening at 6 since I'm a night owl. They sent us coupons, and the freebies are rolling already. My fridge is empty and ready.

Bye, Kroger! Take your prices and shove 'em with Tom Thumb and some horns I know...
ChoppinDs40
AG
HEB sign is up in Prosper at Frontier and DNT. My body is ready.
Pepper Brooks
AG
HEB owns the land at Josey and Parker in far north Carrollton and I cannot wait until that coming soon sign goes up
danieljustin06
AG
HEB owns the land on the Southside of North Lakes Park in Denton. Really ready for them to announce that they'll build there.
MGS
Now open in Frisco!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I think they still own the old Sun Fresh site at NW Hwy and Ferndale?

But likely not the demographics there to support an HEB.

Moe Jzyslak
AG
Hoping that since Frisco is open, they'll announce the Plano opening date soon
Ag CPA
AG
1,500 waiting to get in this morning:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2022/09/21/h-e-b-opens-in-frisco-with-a-crowd-of-1500-people-waiting/

Having grown up in South Texas I love HEB as much as anyone but this is silly.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ag CPA said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2022/09/21/h-e-b-opens-in-frisco-with-a-crowd-of-1500-people-waiting/

What is this Russia?!?!!? Lines for groceries.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Ag CPA said:

Have never and will never understand the love affair with HEB. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in the metroplex but Christ, it's just a grocery store.
979ag
AG
With prices compariable to Wal Mart, and cleanliness/clientele similar to Whole Foods, it is simply a better shopping experience than anywhere else.

Last time I went to Kroger there were two families at the door panhandling for money, a shirtless kid running rampant through the store, and a group of teens smoking where you get the carts inside the store. Couple those factors with the fact I dont think the floors have ever been cleaned since the store has opened, it really makes you appreciate HEB. (Discolsure, I grew up in south texas and recently moved to DFW. HEB is king)
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Absolutely. It's a clean store, the workers are competent and well compensated, and it's consistently named a best place to work in the US.

The HEB branded items are also the same quality as, if not better than name brand.
ftworthag02
AG
I drive from FW medical district to Burleson HEB every week to shop. I was born & raised in FW and only periodically shop at CM. The reason why I shop at HEB:
- stores are clean, bright, well laid out
- shelves are stocked most of the time (periodically bread isle might be a little light)
- the HEB brand products are great and most of the time you can't tell a difference.(chips, spaghetti sauce, condiments, toilet paper, ice cream, Hell everything)
- employees seem to love their job and are willing to help find something. Last year I was looking for Boars head hotdogs (they're great) and an employee walked by and asked what I was looking for and took me right to it.
- Products made in house are amazing. Tortilla chips, salsa, guac, tortillas. (not made in house but the marinaded fajita meat and the refried beans & rice (refrigerated section).

Yes its a cult just like our university so suck it!!!
wangus12
AG
My wife has been anticipating today for awhile. We both grew up on HEB. We're going later this evening, much to my dismay since it's opening day
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
How busy was it this evening?
bco2003
AG
I know some folks who were there at 7:00 and had to wait 30+ minutes to get in.

Was just as bad for others at 3:30. 30 minutes to get in, and they waited another hour to get BBQ at the place there.

Not my kind of fun.
AgsWin2011
AG
Curious to see how busy it will be for the next week or so. We live about 45 minutes away but since we just moved back to the metroplex we have been missing HEB. All the surrounding grocery stores suck in comparison. Plan on going next weekend since I'll be golfing Saturday morning and then going to the game Saturday night.
wangus12
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

How busy was it this evening?

We went around 8pm. Line was around the building, but less than 15 minutes to get in.

Inside was a madhouse in the produce and meat departments. Tons of people. Most everything was still stocked though. It did take awhile to check out since HEB still uses cashiers.

Great to have them finally in the area though
bbattbq01
AG
My wife placed a curbside order on Monday morning and picked it up yesterday. Said the parking lot was crazy but she was in and out in about twenty mins.
Disco Stu
AG
My wife works directly across the street from the Frisco HEB. She said it was a zoo, traffic backed up, police onsite, people parking in their parking lot and walking across Legacy.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
After driving up DNT to Frontier yesterday, I was a bit excited to see the HEB sign at the corner. I believe that one has a 2024 opening
Ag CPA
AG
Keep in mind that there are already HEBs in Burleson and Hudson Oaks if you are on the west side of DFW and don't mind a road trip.
aggolfer
AG
bco2003 said:

I know some folks who were there at 7:00 and had to wait 30+ minutes to get in.

Was just as bad for others at 3:30. 30 minutes to get in, and they waited another hour to get BBQ at the place there.

Not my kind of fun.
Sounds like a great time to go another store that isn't crowded to buy the same stuff.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Wasn't aware you could get That Green Sauce at Kroger
ChoppinDs40
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

Wasn't aware you could get That Green Sauce at Kroger
or Hill Country Fare fajitas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.