Metroplex
Sponsored by

HEB coming to the Metroplex in 2022 (IT'S HAPPENING)

22,553 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Ken Adams
AggieFrog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's the HEB stuff like their fresh chips, campfire bacon, good selection of meat/seafood, ready to cook meals, great frozen pizzas from Italy, etc. We have a big list of stuff we really only find there and like.
Rice and Fries
YouBet said:

Disco Stu said:

IT'S A GROCERY STORE.
My wife is from South Texas and I asked her what the deal was with the obsession over HEB....

Her eyes glazed over and she almost reprimanded me for asking. "BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST GROCERY STORE. ALL OF THEIR FOOD IS GOOD AND YOU HAVE OPTIONS AND...AND...AND...[HEAD EXPLODES]."

I like gently ribbing her about it. I like it as well since that is our option when we are down there, but man the cult around it is downright weird to me. They do have good options for salsa though.

edit: I feel the same way about Bucee's. That cult is insane. It's a f'ing gas station with groceries.
How dare you talk about Texas's version of FEMA like that.

But for real, I like HEB cause the price to quality is great. I also really like the ready to cook meals, super easy when youve got kids. Kroger sucks ass. Tom Thumbs sucks ass. Costco's cool. Walmart's quality sucks ass.
YouBet
AG
Don't get me wrong. I like HEB as well. I really enjoyed their single prepared meals that you basically throw in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Some of the better ones I've had.
fav13andac1)c
AG
YouBet said:

edit: I feel the same way about Bucee's. That cult is insane. It's a f'ing gas station with groceries.
True. But people are going to travel. Where would they rather stop? A sketchy gas station where I might get stabbed that's also difficult to get to?

Or a well-lit, competitively priced, extremely well-stocked, and clean rest stop that is right off the highway?

Same thing with HEB. The competition for mid-priced grocery stores in DFW is not great. I know I would much rather go to HEB than Walmart or Kroger. And considering the grocery store is where I get most of my food, and therefore I end up spending a lot of time there in the long run, I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited about that.
Carlo4
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

YouBet said:

True. But people are going to travel. Where would they rather stop? A sketchy gas station where I might get stabbed that's also difficult to get to?

Or a well-lit, competitively priced, extremely well-stocked, and clean rest stop that is right off the highway?

Same thing with HEB. The competition for mid-priced grocery stores in DFW is not great. I know I would much rather go to HEB than Walmart or Kroger. And considering the grocery store is where I get most of my food, and therefore I end up spending a lot of time there in the long run, I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited about that.

Why stop at Bucee's?

-Super Clean bathrooms
-Aggie owned

I don't need another reason.
YouBet
AG
I've been in Bucee's once just to finally see what all the talk is about. Yep, it's clean.

It's also not remotely worth the hassle factor. We drive by at least 2 of them frequently in driving to the coast and I go out of my way to avoid them like the plague. Freaking cars backed up down the off ramp just to get into a gas station!

Lol. Nope. There are plenty of other clean gas stations on our route that are easy in and easy out.
Rice and Fries
YouBet said:

I've been in Bucee's once just to finally see what all the talk is about. Yep, it's clean.

It's also not remotely worth the hassle factor. We drive by at least 2 of them frequently in driving to the coast and I go out of my way to avoid them like the plague. Freaking cars backed up down the off ramp just to get into a gas station!

Lol. Nope. There are plenty of other clean gas stations on our route that are easy in and easy out.
Buford Tannen
AG
I love Bucees, but man, that place. Stop for gas and a bathroom break, come out 45 minutes later with $60 worth of garbage and some beef jerky.
cj774
AG
Carlo4 said:

Been in the works for years/tons of NDAs from all the suburbs and consultants involved. Glad they can finally say something about it. All about acquiring real estate and finding the best areas. This company does it's due diligence.

I know one of the guys who works for H-E-B Corporate. He told me once that they move slow but it's because it takes so much support infrastructure that has to be planned and built out prior to support the stores in that region.
dave94
AG
cj774 said:

Carlo4 said:

Been in the works for years/tons of NDAs from all the suburbs and consultants involved. Glad they can finally say something about it. All about acquiring real estate and finding the best areas. This company does it's due diligence.

I know one of the guys who works for H-E-B Corporate. He told me once that they move slow but it's because it takes so much support infrastructure that has to be planned and built out prior to support the stores in that region.

What about the waxahachie store?
Troy91
AG
There is also a Burleson store. I believe that they are supported from distribution centers to the south.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Indeed. Corsicana has had a store since the mid 80s. Ennis around they time too.
dave94
AG
I don't mean to poo-poo on the news of the HEBs coming, just annoyed this means at least two years until Dallas proper finally gets one!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Adventures at NWH/Plano Kroger, Today Edition:
"Hey stocker, is the Feta cheese over here or by the deli?"
"The what?"
"Feta. Feta cheese."
"The Philadelphia cheese?"
"No, Feta. It's a greek cheese."
"Oh, cream cheese?"
"No. Feta. F-E-T-A. Feta."
"Oh, we don't have that."
"Umm, yes, yes you do."

It's over by the deli.

Wine is 25% off though.
ftworthag02
AG
thats similar to my experience at the tcu Kroger when I asked the stocker where the orzo was located since I didn't see it in the pasta isle. Initially a blank stare, then repeated orzo, and then said probably in the pasta isle and keep stocking. Didn't even bother to stand up and walk over to the isle to look or ask someone else. That wouldn't happen at H-E-B
AggieFrog
AG
ftworthag02 said:

thats similar to my experience at the tcu Kroger when I asked the stocker where the orzo was located since I didn't see it in the pasta isle. Initially a blank stare, then repeated orzo, and then said probably in the pasta isle and keep stocking. Didn't even bother to stand up and walk over to the isle to look or ask someone else. That wouldn't happen at H-E-B

Probably had no idea what you were talking about. Have never asked anyone at HEB for help but could see where they would probably help, like at Trader Joe's.
NATE AG03
AG
HEB still owns the old Albertson's/Sun Fresh Market site at NW Hwy and Ferndale, right? I know they purchased it a while back when they bought up real estate throughout the DFW area. I assume they will either open there someday or sell to another store who wants that spot, right? RIGHT?!? I need another option to Kroger.
jj12
AG
New HEB announced in Mckinney:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/h-e-b-announces-more-expansion-into-north-texas/2652079/
Trajan88
AG
Re: McKinney site.

That is a very high traffic location for sure.

The Kroger across the street from that H-E-B is going to feel the pain.
Ken Adams
AG
Agreed. Depending on our needs we either go to that Kroger or the Market Street on El Dorado. HEB will probably take the place of both of those for us.
akaggie05
AG
Please announce plans to take over Tom Thumb stores... Please.
Goose
AG
akaggie05 said:

Please announce plans to take over Tom Thumb stores... Please.
Tom Thumb is owned by Albertsons, and Albertsons is 2nd only to Kroger in the traditional grocery world (excluding Walmart obviously). So it's unlikely they'd sell their DFW Tom Thumb locations to HEB. Wouldn't surprise me to see HEB push Tom Thumb out of a few submarkets though.

For our little Far North Dallas neighborhood I'm about equidistant between:

• Tom Thumb (fancy and expensive)
  • Kroger (a lot cheaper, nowhere near as nice as Tom Thumb, and I have to use their f'ing Kroger Club Card B.S. to get the good pricing, but this is where I shop primarily)
  • Super Target (minimal inventory, at best, and the worst meat department of any store I've ever seen that claims to have a meat department).
  • mini-Walmart Supercenter that's ok I guess, but in typical Walmart fashion it's low low prices but limited choices, almost always busy, and for just straight-up grocery shopping it's kind of a whipping.

I'm hoping HEB will be the much needed middle ground between Tom Thumb and Kroger and if so, it'll get the bulk of our grocery dollars.
danieljustin06
AG
I'm ready for the announce and start building the Denton location. I live 5 min from where they own the land.
BTHOB
AG
DFW has multiple HEBs already. Dallas might not, but from SW Fort Worth, there are 3 HEBs within 20 minutes of my house. Burleson, Hudson Oaks, and Granbury.
ChoppinDs40
AG
BTHOB said:

DFW has multiple HEBs already. Dallas might not, but from SW Fort Worth, there are 3 HEBs within 20 minutes of my house. Burleson, Hudson Oaks, and Granbury.

Not sure I would consider burleson or grandbury DFW
BTHOB
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

BTHOB said:

I guess I was just trying to say that you can live in the DFW metroplex and be within 20 minutes of multiple HEBs.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Yeah but getting these north of 635 is huge. All the population growth is up the DNT/75 corridor. And the locations they've picked first are going to absolutely crush it. Smack dab in middle of west Plano. West McKinney/Frisco near stonebridge.

And then Mainstreet in frisco at DNT? Bang. Game over.
Redstone
AG
Wow, certainly took long enough.

We are walking distance from a neighborhood location, with three major superstores within very easy driving distance.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I wonder how long it will take HEB to come out with their "Taste of Dallas" coffee - just like they have with Houston, SA and Austin
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bump because the Frisco store opens 9/21.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/HEB-Dallas-location-opening-date-17423171.php
fav13andac1)c
AG
Also, after 9 years of waiting for an HEB in DFW and finally getting one, we are moving to Corpus Christi where there will be an HEB plus within 10 minutes.
wbt5845
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

BTHOB said:

Granbury no - Burleson yes.

Burleson is closer to Fort Worth than Plano is to Dallas.

While waiting on Mansfield's HEB, I swing through the one in Waxahachie when I go visit my parents.
double aught
AG
Plano borders Dallas.
BTHOB
AG
Burleson borders FW. Maybe Plano is further from the center of downtown Dallas than Burleson is to the center of downtown FW?
wbt5845
AG
Google maps says 18 miles downtown FW to Burleson and 20 miles downtown Dallas to Plano.

Seriously, anyone who thinks Burleson is not part of the D/FW area must not think Fort Worth is part of D/FW area either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.