Metroplex
Sponsored by

RISD Board Race: Chris Poteet 94

15,139 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Trek Strategy
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of our own (oldag941) has thrown his hat in the ring for the at large spot on the board. Chris is an exceptional leader, dedicating to learning the workings of the district, with a strong track record of community service. He will be an excellent advocate for all the kids and taxpayers in RISD.

www.chrispoteetforrisd.com
oldag941
AG
Thanks. I'm pumped for the run!
aviationag
AG
Moving into RISD; will spread the word.
oldag941
AG
Many thanks. It's going to be a slog of a campaign. So every vote will help.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Your priority #2, Fiscal Stewardship, is my top priority after the RISD leadership over the last 5 years. At best they have been fiscally incompetent and irresponsible, if not corrupt bureaucrats using tax dollars to broker backdoor deals with their realtor friends.
harge57
AG
What is your view on getting back to in-person schooling?

And more importantly getting to normal school operations (i.e. no crazy COVID protocols going into next year now that we know that COVID is less harmful to kids than the flu, and they really don't spread that much.)

I am about at the point if we don't get back to normal ops soon, then I am out on RISD all together.

FYI. I think I am your "neighbor" in MHE.

Ol Jock 99
AG
In case you are wondering what's in the bond, the advocate has this handy graphic, which is great as long you can tell "Blue 75%" apart from "Blue 73%".

oldag941
AG
I'm with you on the frustration of current school. But, my praise has been that RISD stepped out on the ledge earlier than most to get school started with the face to face option. They came up with a plan (whether we agree with it in total or somewhat) and started executing the plan with options to tweak as the situation changes. I respect that. I also believe that the level of education kids are getting falls short in quality to what a typical in-class, face to face situation gives. So the sooner we can get there the better. I'm pretty frustrated with our local government in the recent vaccine process. So many organizations (school district to business) are relying on the vaccine distribution to trigger their return to "normal". The slower and clumsier that this is done, the slower the return is for those organizations. Frustrating. I'm hoping that there is some contingency planning at the ISD to deal with those decisions despite how the vaccine distribution goes. I have some friends that send kids to $$$ private schools, whose kids have been present in class less than my own RISD kids. I do think the quarantine policy needs to be reevaluated (which I assume this is being done). The impact to so many kids for so many iterations that want to be face to face, is bad. We know some kids that have received 4 or 5 ten-day quarantines. At some point the transition and variability of face to face to virtual and back is more disruptive than any other option.
oldag941
AG
Can you give me some examples? Some specifics? Thanks
Bob Knights Paper Hands
The biggest is the new elementary that wasn't at Whiterock and Walnut Hill. I'd prefer not to elaborate on a public forum

The RISD bond for half a billion dollars in one election and then the very next election they came back for more tax money, hanging the teachers out to dry if it wasn't approved.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Also I wanted to mention that I saw one of your signs yesterday for the first time.
oldag941
AG
Thanks. That means I need to get more out there!
oldag941
AG
Send me an IM. I'd also be glad to chat on the phone or over coffee etc.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Steve Mitchell is out.
Quinn
AG
Saw a sign in my neighborhood, so good job to your sign guy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quinn said:

This implies that your house does, in fact, not have a sign.
Quinn
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quinn said:

This implies that your house does, in fact, not have a sign.
I live on the wrong side of the tracks so he doesn't want my vote unless he wants the stink of receiving illegal votes on his campaign.
oldag941
AG
Signs aren't illegal. Votes can be. My parents just posted a sign in their yard in Lubbock. Just saying......
powerbelly
AG
Saw a sign pop up in my neighborhood last week.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Election is right around the corner. Place 7 has 7 candidates, so go vote for Poteet.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Early voting starts tomorrow. Vote early. Vote often.
harge57
AG
Can we get an update on this?

If you were voting right now would my kindergartener be wearing a mask and carrying a plexiglass divider around in the fall?
powerbelly
AG
Anyone here have info on the two propositions in Dallas. I usually lean towards no, but haven't seen rationale for these proposals.
Ol Jock 99
AG
powerbelly said:

Anyone here have info on the two propositions in Dallas. I usually lean towards no, but haven't seen rationale for these proposals.

They both have the goal of increased "equity" and diversity on city boards and commissions, some of which have a ton of power. Prop A removes the requirement of "registered to vote", allowing resident aliens on the boards. Prob B removes "qualified taxpayer"....I can't figure out exactly what that means. Which is obviously a problem.

So, you are balancing decreased regulation against decreasing the "qualifications" of who will represent you on these boards. I'll probably vote to decrease regulation.
powerbelly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

powerbelly said:

They both have the goal of increased "equity" and diversity on city boards and commissions, some of which have a ton of power. Prop A removes the requirement of "registered to vote", allowing resident aliens on the boards. Prob B removes "qualified taxpayer"....I can't figure out exactly what that means. Which is obviously a problem.

So, you are balancing decreased regulation against decreasing the "qualifications" of who will represent you on these boards. I'll probably vote to decrease regulation.
I don't care for the vagueness of Prop B especially.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Technically, B is removing the vagueness. I spend some quality time with the city charter and cannot find the definition of "qualified taxpayer".
tysker
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Technically, B is removing the vagueness. I spend some quality time with the city charter and cannot find the definition of "qualified taxpayer".
Not so sure about that. Usually qualified taxpayer is a term of art more clearly designating residence. Not just location but also timing. Renters may not pay property taxes directly but still taxes through usage of utilities and services provided by the city and municipality which is why schools often require utility bills as part of school registration. You can be a "citizens of the City of Dallas" but not a current resident. It seems an unintended consequence of removing such language, in both Prop A and B when stretched, can easily be used to by people with residencies outside of Dallas to affect policy within the City.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quite possibly. Which is why I sought its definition in the charter.

The intent of A is clear. B is a bit more muddled.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Turnout has been predictably poor to this point. Go vote. There's typically zero wait at the Audelia library. And if you come before 11 today, you get to meet me!

powerbelly
AG
I voted the first day at Our Redeemer and there was no one else in line. Low turnout is an overstatement.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Ok folks, Saturday is the day. If you haven't already, please go vote Saturday. This is going to be tight race.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'll be at Hamilton Park in the Morning and Arapaho Magnet in the afternoon if any of y'all want to say hi.

chick79
AG
So who won?
Hincemm
AG
Runoff with chris and Clair I think

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/richardson/election/2021/05/01/poteet-clair-to-have-runoff-for-richardson-isd-place-7-timme-wins-district-1-seat/
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.