Metroplex
Sponsored by

Plans for School

44,132 Views | 554 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Letter from our superintendent last night:

Greetings Peaster ISD families and community!

We are having a phenomenal school year in Peaster ISD! Our students, staff, and parents have partnered together to provide a traditional school experience that our students need and deserve in order to grow to their fullest potential.

We are currently serving almost 1400 students with 200 staff members. This school year has proven to be consistent with previous years in Peaster ISD. We have seen enrollment continue to grow, and our attendance rate through nine weeks of school is 97.5%. We will typically average around 96% attendance rate on the year, so we are on track to meet or exceed that average. The largest number of employee absences, due to any documented illness we have had on any given day as a district, is eight.

When I walk the halls and see kids that are happy, healthy, safe, and learning, it reassures me we are answering the calling placed on our hearts to have kids in school where they can thrive both socially and emotionally. We do not take this calling lightly, and will remain steadfast in our mission and commitment to providing the best educational experience possible.

We have received a few calls and emails regarding possible COVID cases in our schools. The COVID event continues to generate many emotions around our country, our state, and our community. Many times, those emotions are driven by which set of data you read and believe, which news station you watch, and which doctor you listen to. Fear seems to remain high, largely due to the narrative that continues to be aired on the nightly news stations. We appreciate each position on this topic, and will answer parents questions the best we can. The fact remains, through ten months of the COVID event, Parker county and the state of Texas currently shows that 99.9% and 99.8%, respectively, of our population is not active with COVID.

At our town hall meeting, we made a commitment to you to open our schools, keep them open, and provide as close to a traditional school setting as possible under the circumstances. We pleaded with you to partner with us using three primary strategies to help keep our schools healthy. We asked you to use common sense, personal responsibility, and to pray for us. This means daily screening and keeping your kids home when they are ill, providing healthy meals for your family, and ensuring you and your children get the amount of rest they need to keep their immune systems high. By the large majority, you have done just that and our schools have remained a safe and healthy place for our staff and students. That does not mean that people won't get sick, or catch an illness. We will have, and have had, both staff and students that have caught a plethora of different illnesses, including STREP, the common cold, a stomach
virus, Texas allergies, staph infections, and COVID. Illness is inevitable and part of daily life. These illnesses combined have been minimal in PISD as the aforementioned data shows.

As we mentioned in our town hall, the district will not communicate illnesses to the public to respect the rights to privacy by those who are ill. One of the benefits of living in a small community is that everyone knows everyone. It would be very easy for our students and parents to draw a conclusion on who is ill if we made an announcement each time someone reported an absence from the flu, or COVID. We will not be a platform to drive the fear narrative around any current illness, including COVID, or to create hysteria around any employee or student that may have had an illness, including COVID. This goes along with operating a traditional school year. The simple truth is, people have always gotten sick, and people will always get sick. Flu, COVID, and Texas allergies are not going anywhere. We can choose to live and trust, or be paralyzed by fear, but our district will not report those illnesses out, because that is between the individual and their family.

Our protocol remains the same. If our attendance drops below 10% of our average daily
attendance for three consecutive days, that is an indication that we have several students ill, which could be a result of multiple illnesses, and we need to close that campus for five days to allow students to recover. We deep clean each classroom daily, provide hand sanitizer, and reinforce good hygiene practices. Our schools are clean and safe. If a concern arises that requires us to change our protocol and practice, we will do so immediately and communicate the changes to our parents.

I stand behind the decision to open school on August 19 on time in a traditional setting. Our students need to be in school, and it is hard to argue the success we have had through nine weeks of school. We provide the highest qualified professionals each day to serve our community, and will continue to do so, with your continued partnership.
Thank you for trusting us with your children, and know that we love them. May God continue to bless each of us.

Respectfully,
Lance Johnson
Superintendent
Peaster ISD
riverrataggie
AG
I want to get angry at this... but it was hard to do.

You have a good leader and adult leading that district.
double aught
AG
Deats said:

They decided to move my kid to another class because of kids coming back.

I am ****ing pissed.
I would be too. I feel like there should be some consideration for children who went back early versus those who waited to see how things played out.
cc_ag92
AG
If students are being moved around on campus as students return, it's most likely in an attempt to "balance" classes. This usually happens over the summer, but couldn't happen this summer.
Balancing is done for many reasons: student personalities or behaviors, personality conflicts, academic needs, special services, etc. To avoid the need to move students from class to class, some districts chose to have teachers teach remote and on-campus learners at one time, which definitely brings its own set of challenges.

Honestly, if a child is being moved from one class to another, it's most likely an indication that the child is perceived as resilient and flexible because students who struggle with change are probably not being moved.
BoomGoesThe
I'm confused. DISD is finally opening schools up for full day learning on November 9th, while cases of Covid are "surging." I haven't seen any explanation on why the virus was so concerning back in August, but isn't now.

Edit: I'd really like to hear a good theory/explanation from one of y'all that have been pro shut down; because I don't think there is one.
proc
AG
$
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Because November 9th is after the election.
aggielostinETX
AG
We have a winner
cc_ag92
AG
I'm pretty sure they don't have a choice. TEA allowed schools to open for four weeks with only virtual learning, then schools were allowed to apply for one four week waiver. DISD started school on September 8th, then applied for and received the four week waiver. That brings them to November 9th when they are required to offer on campus learning.
It's not related to the election.
double aught
AG
TxAgLaw03RW said:

Because November 9th is after the election.
Break down the reasoning here for an uneducated person such as myself.
BoomGoesThe
Thanks for the info. So I guess it's safe to assume that DISD wouldn't be going full time if they weren't forced to.
cc_ag92
AG
I have absolutely no connection to DISD, so I can't answer that.
riverrataggie
AG
cc_ag92 said:

I'm pretty sure they don't have a choice. TEA allowed schools to open for four weeks with only virtual learning, then schools were allowed to apply for one four week waiver. DISD started school on September 8th, then applied for and received the four week waiver. That brings them to November 9th when they are required to offer on campus learning.
It's not related to the election.

Agreed. Don't think it's political.

It's them being dumbasses.
Raptor
AG
State gave 4 weeks
School board could add 4 weeks
Superintendent could add 1 week

(State total of nine weeks allowed without a special health related waiver)

I believe Dallas also adjusted their actual start date to a later date to stay home even longer.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

burrito post
I thought I'd drop back in on this thread.

As is everyone in the D/FW area we are seeing cases among students and teachers increase. On paper its pretty low because the district doesn't require anyone to get tested. At my campus alone, there are about 50 kids out sick. We just have no way of knowing if someone has covid or not because they aren't getting tested. As far as teachers go, I think we have 3 out right now with covid. Again thats hard to tell because of privacy laws.

The big thing is failures. Failures are through the roof. I have some classes with a 75% failure rate. The interesting thing is that attending classes in person doesn't seem to make a difference. Kids in class are still failing at a similar rate to those at home. They are coming to school and doing nothing. of the 50% of students that should be in person, only 30% are actually showing up. Of those that are showing up, I didn't have a single student that was failing during the virtual portion that is now passing. The ones that are passing and coming to in person class were passing when they were virtual as well.

Granted this is a small sample, 175 students. But I am seeing the same trends from other teachers.
wangus12
AG
Wife is teaching from home after being exposed. Only 11 current positives at all grades + 2 staff.
cc_ag92
AG
Why do you think that is? I'm not hearing that from the people I know in education locally.

Most of their students who are learning at home by choice are succeeding. Many (not all) of the students who weren't successful came back to campus at the start of second quarter.

I wish that districts and teachers had more opportunities to collaborate about best practices, but there's just not time while we're in the thick of it.
burrito post
cc_ag92 said:

Why do you think that is? I'm not hearing that from the people I know in education locally.

Most of their students who are learning at home by choice are succeeding. Many (not all) of the students who weren't successful came back to campus at the start of second quarter.

I wish that districts and teachers had more opportunities to collaborate about best practices, but there's just not time while we're in the thick of it.
I don't really know why its happening. Most of my students who were passing before we switched to offering in person learning are still passing, even if they are still at home. The students that were failing before the switch are still failing, even if they now attend classes in person.

The other I've noticed, is that even though 50% of our students chose in person learning, many are still not attending. Of the ones that are supposed to be coming to class, only 30% of them are actually showing up. The rest stay home and work online with no penalty or they just skip.

The only thing I can think of is that in person learning sucks right now. It is the exact same as at home learning. Like literally the exact same. When its time for the live class, they log on to the meeting and watch with their headphones or watch the display from the projector. I teach to the camera at my desk while they sit 15 feet away and watch me on their computers. The hybrid model doesn't serve anyone very well. If I only taught online, I would structure my course very differently just like I would if I only taught in person. Now I have to teach both concurrently and my hands are unfortunately tied.
culdeus
AG
Trinity Valley, a big private school in fort worth, is shutting down for remote till 2021. Expect those dominos to fall in that arena quickly.
cc_ag92
AG
Ooh... that makes a huge difference, I think.
The people I know who are currently teaching have a vastly different situation. The on campus learners don't have the option to learn from home unless quarantined.

Teachers are teaching pretty much normally with a few modifications in person. If they're teaching on campus and remote at the same time, they have a classroom camera that supports them being able to move around the room, use the board, etc.

It's NOT easy, but so far it seems to be fairly effective.
CrawlingNo5
AG
Prosper ISD doesnt mess around. We were one of the first to start this school year with in person learning and now this came out about remote learning:

Quote:

Prosper ISD has offered both an in-person and remote learning option for each of our students from the very beginning of this school year, even though we were not required to do so. We did this because we wanted to provide options for parents to make the best decision for their kids during the uncertainty of this pandemic. Many parents chose the remote learning path for their students, and we have worked hard to provide high quality remote learning for those students.

However, as the school year has progressed, we have noticed that some remote learning students have become less and less engaged. We know this because of those students' increasing absences and decreasing grades. Prosper ISD's foremost objective is to educate each of our students, but that becomes very difficult to do when remote learning students become unengaged in the learning process. Some remote learning students are falling behind and are in danger of not graduating on time or not being promoted to the next grade. As such, we have determined that we will remove the remote learning option and require in-person instruction for students who meet at least one of the following criteria:
Four or more days or parts of days of unexcused absences. (For example, if your child attends math and science classes but fails to attend social studies without excuse this would equate to an unexcused absence for parts of a day).
Grade average of 65 or less in two or more classes (for middle school, core subjects only)
If your student meets the above criteria, we are going to transition your student to in-person learning over the course of the next two weeks (or sooner if you prefer).

As stated above, providing a quality education to your child is of utmost importance to us, which is why we are taking this step to transition your child to in-person learning. We truly believe this will provide your child with the best opportunity to succeed, and we look forward to continuing to partner with you in achieving that success.

duck79
AG
We haven't seen this yet, where did you see this posted?
CrawlingNo5
AG
Folsom Elementary flyer email that came out today.

The Baker Elementary flyer email mentioned nothing of it though.
duck79
AG
Interesting. We are at Stuber and haven't seen anything. I like it though.

*just got the email.
cc_ag92
AG
This is great.
I think remote learning is a valid option if parents and students are committed to it, but it should certainly not be perceived as a way to escape the responsibilities of school.
Yesterday
AG
And just think of students in Dallas ISD if Prosper is seeing these results. Our kids are so F'd.
planoaggie123
AG
Yesterday said:

And just think of students in Dallas ISD if Prosper is seeing these results. Our kids are so F'd.

Agree. My 1st grade daughter has had exponential improvement in learning since back in school. Her beginning of year assessment was actually a mild "regression" back to the middle of her Kindergarten year (aka the last time she was in person). I am looking forward to seeing how she progresses on charts but just sitting around and having her read to me is enough proof of her improvement. All those remote kids in low poverty area will take years to recover (if ever).
rebag00
AG
DISD is soliciting surveys from parents related to extending the school year permanently or adding an "intercessory" model. Which appears to extend and add more breaks. The verbiage on the survey was directly related to trying to stop the current slide in student learning and "brain drain" from the summer break. I think they are pretty worried about the coming years now that they have let the "learn from home" genie out of the bottle.

"Data shows the pandemic could have a devastating impact on the academic progress of students. To mitigate this learning loss and accelerate student growth, Dallas ISD is exploring three potential options for the 20212022 school year that would add learning and enrichment time for some or all students. We are asking parents and community members to fill out a survey with their input and attend one of the upcoming Time to Learn Parent Forums hosted by our trustees."
planoaggie123
AG
I probably need to not be so pessimistic but I just feel like they are not really worried about the kids and learning based on what they have done the past 9 months...i am guessing they will use this to get increased salaries / wages for not just teachers but administrators who work year around anyways...
Yesterday
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I probably need to not be so pessimistic but I just feel like they are not really worried about the kids and learning based on what they have done the past 9 months...i am guessing they will use this to get increased salaries / wages for not just teachers but administrators who work year around anyways...

No doubt. Nothing Dallas ISD does is for the kids.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.