Metroplex
Sponsored by

Plans for School

44,482 Views | 554 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife's school goes back tomorrow. She's already bought another handle of whiskey to handle complaining parents.
culdeus
AG
I knew schools started on different dates but didn't have any idea it was this early.
Trucker 96
culdeus said:

I knew schools started on different dates but didn't have any idea it was this early.

For about the last 15 years or so, changes from the round of school finance reform included prohibiting them from starting earlier than August 21st. So most were starting on or a few days after that date. However, a few years ago the state started allowing districts to get waivers and start earlier, with the schools' goal being to balance the fall and spring semesters better (fall was somewhat truncated relative to spring, which presents some challenges). So over the past 2-3 years, many districts started about 1-2 weeks earlier
jpd301
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Wow. How many check-ins per day?

Seems excessive to have 1 miss = full absence.
Last week was 2 per day.1 in the AM and 1 in the PM

Today best I can tell is they effectively have a mandatory check in for each class (so 4-5 total) with it being up to the student whether they check in during the AM 'section' or PM 'section' of the live class. So basically you have to get marked present in Math, Reading, Science, Social Studies, etc either during the AM livestream or the PM livestream of each course and so on.

In the spring it was far less structured.
Yesterday
AG
We have a kindergartner and 1st grader. It's awful. There's 13 parents and a teacher making this happen. Teacher is doing great but a 5 year old isn't made for this.

The first grader has been at it for an hour and they're still trying to get everyone logged in. Not too surprising.
Butters99
AG
Right there with you. We're in PISD. Putting an kindergartner with ASD in front of a computer all day isn't happening and is very detrimental even if he could handle it. Also requires my wife to be there managing the microphone/camera, and do online assignments that would probably be tough for a 5th grader to complete. I guess I'll do those at night after work.

Our preschooler's group speech therapy on Zoom has also been interesting. The therapist/teacher started crying 10 minutes into the first class last week and ended the class 5 minutes later when she couldn't stop crying (she was frustrated/emotional, I guess). Today was thankfully better and she made it through the whole session. I don't think there's any real benefit to group speech therapy online...really just trying to do what we need to do to keep our spot until face-to-face is possible.

Only positive has been the kindergarten teacher has been very understanding. Pretty much said on a call with her to just log in, do what you can do, stop when you need to, and try to turn in the assignments before midnight.

We are just trying to survive the next three weeks with my wife's sanity intact. If they announce that they are extending virtual another month, we will dis-enroll immediately and begin homeschooling 100% (which is pretty much what we are already doing, but with the hassle of also checking the boxes for PISD). I'm hoping we hear from PISD this week or next week regarding whether they are extending virtual another month.
wangus12
AG
Was talking with some of the docs in our clinic and they are in favor of getting 5th grade and younger into the classroom full time and keeping the older kids on a split schedule.
Yesterday
AG
wangus12 said:

Was talking with some of the docs in our clinic and they are in favor of getting 5th grade and younger into the classroom full time and keeping the older kids on a split schedule.

After today I want to kick anyone who supported keeping kids out of school in the face. I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their kids home but for those who advocated closing schools for everyone, yea, kick to the face.

Why are we sacrificing our kids for a low death rate in old people? That's not how it works. Just frustrating
wangus12
AG
Yesterday said:

wangus12 said:

After today I want to kick anyone who supported keeping kids out of school in the face. I have no problem with folks wanting to keep their kids home but for those who advocated closing schools for everyone, yea, kick to the face.

Why are we sacrificing our kids for a low death rate in old people? That's not how it works. Just frustrating
Go after the politicians and school admins. Don't go after the teachers. Sure some of them are worried about the risk of getting sick and have a right to be, but most of them want to get back to work. My wife hates this undeveloped product of virtual learning (she does feel that there can be a future there) and wants to be back live. Downside is she huge classes this year and there is no way to social distance kids.
planoaggie123
AG
jpd301 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Wow. How many check-ins per day?

Seems excessive to have 1 miss = full absence.
Last week was 2 per day.1 in the AM and 1 in the PM

Today best I can tell is they effectively have a mandatory check in for each class (so 4-5 total) with it being up to the student whether they check in during the AM 'section' or PM 'section' of the live class. So basically you have to get marked present in Math, Reading, Science, Social Studies, etc either during the AM livestream or the PM livestream of each course and so on.

In the spring it was far less structured.
Got it. Still a little rigid but at leat some flexibility. Definitly far different from the spring.

My son is in the hospital (doing fine now...hope to be out tomorrow...part of our stressors last week) and I have been Mr. Teacher today.

I told the teacher we would attempt to do 1 morning synchroized and 1 afternoon synchronized and would try and fill in hours in-between with self-learning. I told her we would not be turning in any work this week. We are skipping all the "specials" (Art, PE, music). That will be our approach the remainder of the week and maybe through the remainder of mandatory virtual.
Yesterday
AG
wangus12 said:

Yesterday said:

wangus12 said:

Go after the politicians and school admins. Don't go after the teachers. Sure some of them are worried about the risk of getting sick and have a right to be, but most of them want to get back to work. My wife hates this undeveloped product of virtual learning (she does feel that there can be a future there) and wants to be back live. Downside is she huge classes this year and there is no way to social distance kids.

I've been very outspoken about Abbott and Dallas County officials. I'm pissed at anyone who supported keeping kids at home against their will. I applaud our kids teacher today. She was trying her best and was clearly frustrated by the whole process. No doubt she would rather have kids in the class. For the teachers who protested and asked their union to keep them home. Yea. Kick to the face.
Yesterday
AG
Got this email after school today. This is for a 5 year old kindergarten class.

Make sure your child is sitting and paying attention, not randomly walking away. You get several breaks during the day .

Please make sure siblings are not in the Zoom call.

When you log in to zoom tomorrow, make sure your kid is on speaker view. Thus, they can see me big while I am teaching.
Please click the same icon to get access to zoom. (Icon: Click here for LIVE teaching)

Make sure mics are muted at all times and remind your child not to take it off mute until the teacher asks them to do so.
Please have your child wear headphone this will help with static and echoing.

Lunch is from 12:15-1:00, please make sure you are not eating on the camera. You are welcome to have snacks during the breaks that are given throughout the day.

Please make sure your child is treating their virtual learning as if they are actually at school, this way when we do come back to traditional so they are already in a routine.

As reminder the first few days we would like for the parents to be around to help with any issues that might arise, but in the future we would like for them to build independence, as if they were here at school with us alone.

The best way to contact me is through our school email.
riverrataggie
AG
Lol. Good luck with all that. Expect your kid to break each of those rules everyday until they are about 18.
planoaggie123
AG
Seems reasonable for a kindergarten kid.

Edit: 100% agree with the muting though. That has been an issue for my daughters class. Tons of background noise to start most sessions. We would struggle with no siblings (son likes to listen in) and no eating (lunch time of 945 makes that hard to follow)
duck79
AG
Hughes elementary in Prosper with a case. Both parents tested positive after thinking they had allergies and the kid tested negative.

We also heard Prosper High had their first case today.
DFWTLR
AG
How does the elementary have a case if the kid is negative?
duck79
AG
I assume the parents reported that they tested positive so the kid and kids class went into quarantine.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Prosper HS has sent two emails this week stating that a student has tested positive....don't think Rock Hill HS has sent anything out.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Yesterday
AG
DISD just extended online into October.
harge57
AG
Morons,

What changes between now and October?
Yesterday
AG
harge57 said:

Morons,

Lower cases, deaths, hospitalization's. Logic.
planoaggie123
AG
harge57 said:

Morons,

Low income kids become at greater risk within their own homes.....

I mean COVID goes away. It is scheduled to be gone the first week of October.
tysker
AG
For better or worse we're creating our own natural experiment in regards to the importance of classroom learning and standardized testing (e.g. STAAR). With all the districts having different approaches, we'll have a plenty of data to see of virtual learning versus in person learning has an effect on STAAR scores. Will minorities and the poor do better or worse relative to their peers? Also will we see health and behavioral differences between ISDs?

If the data is made available, social scientists will have a field day over the next decade or so...
planoaggie123
AG
I could be 100% wrong here...but....if this goes to January 2021 or through the end of the school year....my guess is all standardized tests / assessments will be dropped and there will be no way to evaluate 100% effectively. Even losing a year of education I do sorta think that teachers can catch back up in one year and make standardized testing scores at least "ok"
tysker
AG
Is there an expectation to be all-in back in the classroom at anytime this school year? If there's another year without STAAR due to 'circumstances,' it kind of delegitimizes ether the test or the ISDs educational response. Further I would imagine additional grumblings to get rid of it all together.
planoaggie123
AG
I dont know if there is...i am just tossing out guesses...but i would asssume administrators won't want kids tested because there is a fairly good chance a large portion of kids will not learn much...especially those low or even middle income kids who need face to face (both parents work, single parent, etc) but are forced to do virtual.

Full virtual by choice students should be good to go for any standardized testing...
proc
AG
We start in about 10 days. Like a lot of districts, parents were allowed to choose classroom or remote learning.

Roughly 3 out of 10 here have chosen remote learning, and will use Chrome books sent by the district. Our high school and middle school kids have been using Chrome books for years. What concerns me is that 40 to 45 percent of parents in some of our lower income school zones are opting for remote. There is already a vast amount of research indicating that remote learning is not as effective, especially for at risk kids. In addition, feeding those kids is going to present a challenge as well.

We are going to continue to use Staar benchmarks, because benchmarks. And you are correct in that some really good studies are going to result from the data this year.
Trucker 96
I think you try to test at the very end of this year to measure effectiveness of methods and to hopefully see where the real hotspots are that will need a lot of 21-22 school year focus (from individual students to schools to subjects). Then I think you potentially have to get creative in 21-22 to focus on some core subject catchup.
planoaggie123
AG
I 100% agree ALL kids should test after this year regardless. Will shed light on efficiency. I am just wondering if School Admins won't want people to realize how potentially detrimental these decisions have been...especially if it continues for 3+ months...I am not saying remote is 100% bad but I think it will negatively impact a significant portion...
The Collective
AG
Our kids are back full throttle this week (no masks requirement for on-campus learning, parental discretion). Our small ISD has been in the news over this decision; superintendent battling with one set of parents over masks. We will see how it goes. I have noticed a very positive attitude change in my 3rd grader this week. He has really missed school... a lot of tear-filled nights.
harge57
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Our kids are back full throttle this week (no masks requirement for on-campus learning, parental discretion). Our small ISD has been in the news over this decision; superintendent battling with one set of parents over masks. We will see how it goes. I have noticed a very positive attitude change in my 3rd grader this week. He has really missed school... a lot of tear-filled nights.

Awesome.

My four year old started back at her Spanish immersion school in Dallas last week.

Somehow as soon as a kid goes to Kindergarten it is unsafe for them to go to school.
planoaggie123
AG
harge57 said:

Somehow as soon as a kid goes to Kindergarten it is unsafe for them to go to school.

....science....
Yesterday
AG
planoaggie123 said:

harge57 said:

....science....

Yep. Our kids are in daycare with other kids taking kindergarten and 1st grade. Can't get Rona in daycares
Rubble
AG
If people follow the new cdc guidelines, school will go back full throttle pretty quickly. No need to get tested just because your were exposed anymore.

My 3rd grader had his meet the teacher zoom this afternoon. They were not prepared. The district pushed the start date back two weeks to prepare. What the hell have they been doing this whole time? I don't blame it on the teachers, this problem goes all the way to the top. I guess we'll see how the first day of remote goes on Wednesday. Thank God we only have to do it for 8 days!!
Bottlerocket
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Peaster??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.