Metroplex
Sponsored by

Best custom pool builder

13,834 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Custom Outdoor Trends built ours, although it came with the house.
benMath08
AG
Mojave said:

Avoid Paul Miller in Keller, at all cost
I had an interesting experience with them. They're family owned. I called and talked to (I believe) the son of Paul Miller, gave him my info and he said no problem my mom does the scheduling and she'll give you a call back later today for consult. When she called they said they don't service my area. I totally get not every company is going everywhere in DFW, just thought it was odd for a family owned business they weren't on the same page with that.
ChoppinDs40
AG
benMath08 said:

LHIOB said:

Who else are you talking to?
Custom Outdoor Trends, Riverbend, and Gold Medal. All based on recommendations from the metroplex forum.

So far we've like the design and discussion from the first two. Our initial design consult with Gold Medal is scheduled for Tuesday so we'll see how that one goes.
have a buddy that used Gold Medal. He said he couldn't be more happy with them.
eye-gor
AG
We are starting the process and talking to these two based on referrals from family friends: Blue Lagoon and Southerwind Pools.

Also received referral for Sunstone Pools from neighbor but haven't been able to connect with them yet.
SteveA
AG
I find myself looking for a pool builder as well. Contacted Riverbend, Gold Medal, Pool Quest, and Cullen, on the referrals. Have an appointment with Riverbend next week, Cullen this week. Haven't heard back from Pool Quest, but I'm in Allen, so they may not service this area, which is a bummer, because it would be cool to deal with an Aggie owned company.
Enviroag02
AG
We have a Cullen pool and had a great experience. He won't try to upsale you and if you ask about some fancy option he will tell you it's not needed. He won't do a 3D model but he is very good at what he does. My wife is extremely picky and he is the only contractor we have ever used over the years and two home builds that my wife was completely happy with their work.
aggiec05
AG
My wife was against pools forever, but now that the kids are older we want to add a pool. I hear from most people its cheaper to buy a house with a pool than build a pool. What kind of prices are we talking to build a free form pool in the backyard. I am sure its all over the map with all the extra pergolas, kitchens etc... I don't want to waste a pool builders time if its out of budget right now.
benMath08
AG
If you want to dig a hole in the ground, fill it with concrete, and keep it clean enough to swim in, it probably starts around 30k.

I'm guessing just about everyone in this thread is doing a lot more than that. Some combination of bigger pool, water features, spa, good decking (quality and square footage), outdoor kitchens, covered patios, landscaping, more private fencing, etc. A lot of us here probably live on bad soil so you need helical piers beneath the pool as well.

All of the above can easily get you over 100k.
investorAg83
AG
Sister and brother in law are using Reber and Co for theirs in Lucas. Apparently he's an old man that's been doing it for years and my BIL was blown away by his ideas and service so far.

https://www.reberandco.com/
LHIOB
AG
I was on the mind that it was better to buy a house with a pool. The problem is that you get their pool. And most of the homes I looked at had around $15k in work that needed to be done to the pool. I wont get my $$ back dollar for dollar but I think Ill use it enought to justify the $200/month its going to cost me.

Plus I dont have to move and deal with that crap. I also get pissed when I see what agents get on a sale. Nothing against the agents, its just a chunk!
cadetjay02
AG
I built with riverbend a little over 4 years ago. Above average size (20k gallons), sizable retaining walls with 3 sheer descents, pebble tech plaster, good lighting, and about 800 soft of pavers for $52k. No hot tub, which they estimated at another $10k.
They aren't cheap, but I'm moving in a couple weeks and we'll bite the bullet again around November and build a pat the new crib.
ChoppinDs40
AG
aggiec05 said:

My wife was against pools forever, but now that the kids are older we want to add a pool. I hear from most people its cheaper to buy a house with a pool than build a pool. What kind of prices are we talking to build a free form pool in the backyard. I am sure its all over the map with all the extra pergolas, kitchens etc... I don't want to waste a pool builders time if its out of budget right now.

For something that doesn't look like crap, be prepared to spend no less than 50k.

If You want a Spa, heated, features, pergola, get ready for 80-90k
eye-gor
AG
We are budgeting 110k and hoping we come in closer to 100k leaving some spending for furniture and accessories for pool/patio.

Our current project includes:

• Pool/Spa
  • Covered, attached patio (fireplace, kitchen, tvs)
  • Artificial turf with putting green
duck79
AG
Live in Prosper and sent out requests this morning. Our neighborhood page recommended Hobert, Gold Medal and Hauk. I have seen Prestige building in our neighborhood as well. We looked at Southernwind but on their website it notes a $500 charge to come out which I didn't feel was right.
LHIOB
AG
26'x14 pool with a spa and an outdoor kitchen for about $72k

We got quotes for up to $82k

We already have a pretty large covered patio so not a ton of extra decking.
Baba Ganoush
AG
It's amazing how different people's experience with the same pool builder can be. Not sure if it's dependent on the foreman doing the job or what. For what it's worth, we used Gold Medal and it was terrible. Would never use them again.
duck79
AG
Who did you end up going with?
benMath08
AG
Baba Ganoush said:

It's amazing how different people's experience with the same pool builder can be. Not sure if it's dependent on the foreman doing the job or what. For what it's worth, we used Gold Medal and it was terrible. Would never use them again.
I suspect it really comes down to the individual designer and project manager you get assigned. We chose not to select Gold Medal based on being really unimpressed with the designer that we were in contact with, even though it's pretty clear that the company has built some absolutely amazing pools.
Mojave
AG
Similar thread from 2 years ago.
https://texags.com/forums/37/topics/2953698
ILikeTacos
AG
Gold Medal executed exactly what we wanted. The timeline took a little bit longer than originally expected but that was because i waited to have them quote the job and to start building in October and do construction over the winter. Ended up pouring close to 2200 sq ft of concrete, two pergolas, outdoor cooking area, in pool bar stools, massive tanning deck, etc. etc.

LHIOB
AG
Joy Pools
Comeby!
AG
We picked Foley over Riverbend and Gold Medal. Couldn't be happier. You need to talk to Cole at Foley. Excellent designer.
Comeby!
AG
Very nice pool. That wasn't cheap.
ILikeTacos
AG
Comeby! said:

Very nice pool. That wasn't cheap.

We had a budget, and they tried to make everything fit within that budget. I really do think it helped that I signed the contract right at the time they were slowing down for the winter and wanting to fill the months with jobs. I cut costs by sourcing grill stuff myself, fans, etc. I also bought all of the river rock myself and laid it myself which put my back out of commission for a solid 2 weeks after lol
Comeby!
AG
Yep, that's smart. We signed ours in early Feb before the demand kicked in and also went line by line and evaluated each upgrade on its own.
Southlake Ag
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Gold Medal executed exactly what we wanted. The timeline took a little bit longer than originally expected but that was because i waited to have them quote the job and to start building in October and do construction over the winter. Ended up pouring close to 2200 sq ft of concrete, two pergolas, outdoor cooking area, in pool bar stools, massive tanning deck, etc. etc.

What color did you choose for you Plaster?
Southlake Ag
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Southlake Ag
AG
We used DFW Custom Pools - out of NRH. Pricing was much better than Claffey, Gold Medal, Prestige, Riverbend, etc. It's a racket. They all sub out the following contractors:

(1) Escavation
(2) Rebar/forming of pool
(3) Gunite
(4) Decking
(5) Plastering

They also have other subs for rock features/retaining walls, electrical, and gas (for fire niches).

Thanks
Comeby!
AG
Here's ours. They came to take pro pics of it for their marketing.
ILikeTacos
AG
Southlake Ag said:

I honestly don't remember, and I pulled my construction agreement and it doesn't have a color listed just "mini pebble". Sorry!
Greener Acres
AG
What are the dimensions of the main part of the pool (hot tub to far wall and side wall to side wall)? Is it big enough, too big, etc?
Garrelli 5000
AG
I posted this in another thread but here is our Gold Medal pool. daytime photo was from when we first moved in to the home or right before we moved last year. (built both @the same time).

We chose Tahoe Blue for the pebble. Pending the time it goes from blue to teal. We love that it is a tad darker and not sky blue like the pools most of us grew up with in the 80's.

Night time shot shows the current state with synth turf from TurfRocks, and aluminum privacy screens (they look like wood) plus the beds surrounded in chopped stone instead of bend a board. We did that because we knew the dogs would keep us too busy pulling mulch out of the synth turf and the stone is much taller.

Here's the fire pit today using a combo of Blue Ridge and Stanbroil glass ordered off of Amazon. The BR rec came from Texags.

Take the trash out staff.
Yesterday
AG
Would love to see the profit on a custom pool build. Sounds like a business I should be in.
Silvertaps
AG
My wife and I live in the Prosper/Celina area and have been discussing putting in a pool over the last few months. I've owned a house with a pool before, but pretty clueless about the process in putting one in.

Our backyard isn't big, so we're looking at putting in a smaller "cocktail" pool. We've been looking at examples of them and picked a few styles we like. Other possible additions are a fire pit and small outdoor kitchen (built-in grill and smoker only).

- I've been recommended Hauk, Foley, and Gold Medal from neighbors. Hauk is here in Celina, but seeing they aren't well thought of in here. Any thoughts on Prestige in Prosper?
- We're looking to start building possibly a year from now. Is it too early to discuss with pool companies to get design and pricing ideas? If so, when is it ideal?
- When financing, where would you recommend? How many months is standard?
- what months are best to start a build? (Assume Oct - Feb?)

Thank you!
duck79
AG
We live in the Prosper area as well and are going thru this right now. We have narrowed our choices down to Foley, Joy and TLC in Sherman. Joy and TLC are a little cheaper than Foley but Foley seems to be a little more turn key. Many people in our neighborhood have used Prestige but I only received an automated response from them. They have all told me that this is the busiest they have ever been so I don't think when you choose to build matters right now. Most are predicting 4 months but Foley guaranteed 90 days from the time dirt is moved.

We are looking at a 30x14 size, so nothing big either. We are probably going to finance 50% and the timeframe we have mostly seen is 10 or 15yrs.

I also called Gold Medal and they asked for my budget right away(the others came out and listened to what I wanted before I asked them what it would cost). GM told me I would need to add 10k-15k because my community is old farmland and it needs support. I had 7 companies come out and all of them said that wasn't needed but they are so busy right now they can get away with saying that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.