Metroplex
Sponsored by

Considering move to Ft. Worth

11,406 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Matsui
AF DOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for similar advice;

My wife and I moved here last summer, we're renting way up in Alliance right now and its fine for the moment but its not exactly what we're looking for; the neighborhood isn't our favorite - its convenient to target/costco, etc, it hasn't been a very welcoming community and it doesn't have a lot of character to it.

I work way out in Weatherford, but we'd like to stay closer to Fort Worth proper; 600-800k range, 4 bd 3 bath house.

We've heard great things about the Tanglewood area but looking online you get a lot more house for your dollar out in the Aledo area. I feel like at our price point, a 4 bd 3 bath house can be had in Tanglewood, but they're usually snapped off the market pretty quick and theres usually some sacrifice to be made; not updated, not a lot of square footage, backs up to a busy street, etc.

Seems like Aledo - Parks of Aledo, Bella Ranch/Bella Flora, etc, you can get 3000+ sq feet, new or close to, well within our price point. My wife is concerned about schools and school safety. Still debating private vs public' kiddos are toddler age so we have some time.

Anyone made a similar choice recently for City vs SW Fort Worth suburban areas?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgBQ-00
AG
Have you looked at morningstar? It is west of Ft Worth and stuff is really growing out that direction. Good range of builders. Aledo ISD. But will be more of a suburban feel to it. Wife and I looked out there. But the commute for us would have been prohibitive
AF DOC
AG
Yea man it doesn't look bad either but you're right its a bit suburban.

We're just stuck between the old classic neighborhood in the city or the nice new suburban house. My wife wonders about the commute to restaurtants/stores and things to do from Aledo vs being in Tanglewood/Overton park area

My commute is ~30 minutes from most of these regardless which I can tolerate;
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Matsui
AG
You have everything you need around tangle wood
Elmo Lincoln
AG
AF DOC said:

I'm looking for similar advice;

My wife and I moved here last summer, we're renting way up in Alliance right now and its fine for the moment but its not exactly what we're looking for; the neighborhood isn't our favorite - its convenient to target/costco, etc, it hasn't been a very welcoming community and it doesn't have a lot of character to it.

I work way out in Weatherford, but we'd like to stay closer to Fort Worth proper; 600-800k range, 4 bd 3 bath house.

We've heard great things about the Tanglewood area but looking online you get a lot more house for your dollar out in the Aledo area. I feel like at our price point, a 4 bd 3 bath house can be had in Tanglewood, but they're usually snapped off the market pretty quick and theres usually some sacrifice to be made; not updated, not a lot of square footage, backs up to a busy street, etc.

Seems like Aledo - Parks of Aledo, Bella Ranch/Bella Flora, etc, you can get 3000+ sq feet, new or close to, well within our price point. My wife is concerned about schools and school safety. Still debating private vs public' kiddos are toddler age so we have some time.

Anyone made a similar choice recently for City vs SW Fort Worth suburban areas?
If you're considering private schools, you'll have a lot more options in that price range. If not, given where you work, I'd probably look hard at Walsh Ranch. It's definitely suburban feeling, but the neighborhood amenities are good, and will ultimately be outstanding.

You can get a 4/3 in Tanglewood for $600-$800K, but it'll probably need some work or be a little funky.

AF DOC
AG
Yea man that's kind of where we're at. Most of the ones we look at are a 'little funky' but Walsh is a little out there - 20 minutes of freeway to get anywhere in the city or towards Weatherford for groceries.

Bottom line- our eyes are bigger than our wallet at the moment...we'll see what we come up with.
Sims
AG
My wife is a realtor for Sothebys -Briggs Freeman and deals almost exclusively in the areas y'all are talking about. We live in Wedgewood ourselves.

If you'd like her help, let me know.

My email is wsb8753 at gmail.com
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
Proposition Joe
If you're going to do private for elementary, then Tanglewood will be a colossal waste of money.
ftworthag02
AG
You would be amazed at how many people shell out hundreds of thousands to buy a mid century home, tear it down, build a brand new one that takes up the entire lot and then send their kids to trinity valley, country day, all saints, etc.
AF DOC
AG
Yea we're probably not if we do Tanglewood:

20k year for K-6th is 120k per kiddo....three kids....yea.

I also wonder if it's really 'worth it' for private. The schools seem great and all but its not like they're all graduating to go on to A&M and the other elite schools out there like Yale, Princeton, Harvard, etc.

Proposition Joe
ftworthag02 said:

You would be amazed at how many people shell out hundreds of thousands to buy a mid century home, tear it down, build a brand new one that takes up the entire lot and then send their kids to trinity valley, country day, all saints, etc.

True, but most of those people know it's a colossal waste of money -- they just have so much of it that they don't care.
Proposition Joe
AF DOC said:

Yea we're probably not if we do Tanglewood:

20k year for K-6th is 120k per kiddo....three kids....yea.

I also wonder if it's really 'worth it' for private. The schools seem great and all but its not like they're all graduating to go on to A&M and the other elite schools out there like Yale, Princeton, Harvard, etc.

You will no doubt get a better post-elementary education at private school compared to any school in FWISD. If that difference in education is worth the cost is up to debate. But much of the value is in the relationships and networks you establish there. Sure, most of those kids at Harvard Business School are pretty smart -- but many of their successes in startups come from the connections they make with other classmates. High school is no different, just at a more local level.

And for the record I'm a public school kid through and through -- but I understand where the value in private is.
lawless89
Sims said:

My wife is a realtor for Sothebys -Briggs Freeman and deals almost exclusively in the areas y'all are talking about. We live in Wedgewood ourselves.

If you'd like her help, let me know.

My email is wsb8753 at gmail.com
Hey neighbor!

What part? My wife and I live right on Woodway just past the middle school. Moved into the area about a year and half ago. I've only seen one other Ag flag flying and it's on the corner by the new stop sign.
Sims
AG
We're down at alta mesa and kingswood. Texas flag most of the time. Texas Aggie flag during football season.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
bangobango
AG
AF DOC said:

Yea man that's kind of where we're at. Most of the ones we look at are a 'little funky' but Walsh is a little out there - 20 minutes of freeway to get anywhere in the city or towards Weatherford for groceries.

Bottom line- our eyes are bigger than our wallet at the moment...we'll see what we come up with.
There is a brookshires and an HEB ten minutes from Walsh ranch.

Also, unless you're going private school for sure, there is no comparison between the schools at Aledo ISD and Fort Worth ISD.
AF DOC
AG
Thoughts on Bella Flora/Bella Ranch? Wife is now leaning more Aledo and this seems like an interesting option in addition to Parks/Walsh. Looks like the elementary for Bella is even more highly rated than the other two.
Matsui
AG
Just moved back to fw!
Buford Tannen
AG
Of the three you mention most interested in Bella Ranch. Eager to hear other thoughts on it. Primary concern is 377 being main thoroughfare into FW thru benbrook....
Elmo Lincoln
AG
bangobango said:

AF DOC said:

There is a brookshires and an HEB ten minutes from Walsh ranch.

Also, unless you're going private school for sure, there is no comparison between the schools at Aledo ISD and Fort Worth ISD.
For most of FWISD, this is probably true, but not for Tanglewood & Pascal. In fact, I'd say Pascal (at least on the AP track) is a superior academic option to Aledo. Anyway, not dumping on Aledo...just worth noting that there are viable public options within FWISD.
AF DOC
AG
The commute to the kiddos preschool is about 20 minutes, and looks like to most of the Bryant Irvin shopping center is about the same.
ftworthag02
AG
Don't paint all of fwisd with a broad brush. I will put up the kids from the Tanglewood- McLean- Paschal or Lily B- McLean- Paschal against any in north Texas.
bizag07
We moved from Ridglea to Bella Ranch. Didn't make it 2 years before we moved right back to town. What initially seemed like "it's just 10 extra minute commute" was true during the week. It was the weekends that killed us. Felt like I spent the whole day trucking back and forth, had to really coordinate errands, etc. We just hated it.

My boss lives there as well, and he likes it more, but he also spends his whole weekend In town as well.
Buford Tannen
AG
What part of town?
Buford Tannen
AG
Really appreciate that insight. Exactly what I am afraid of honestly.
Buford Tannen
AG
Where did you move back to? Ridglea?
bizag07
Tanglewood. Ridglea Hills pricing was getting a little crazy as well, and the premium over here wasn't that much worse. Still crazy, but I appreciate the location much more having done the Aledo deal.
Buford Tannen
AG
Interesting. Would love to chat offline about that. jrirby at gmail.
AF DOC
AG
Yea...just did that drive and thought about it more - back to city hunting.

Thoughts on Westcliff ES? Is it comparable at all to Lily b/Tanglewood?
Corps_Ag12
AG
They are getting ready to open a new section that will have an entrance/exit a 1000 ft north of Tiger Trail vs how far you currently have to go down 377 to go back north from Bella Ranch.

I grew up in pearl ranch across the street and I guess I'm just used to the drive. My parents still live out there and they say getting an Uber out there is getting easier & easier each day
Proposition Joe
AF DOC said:

Yea...just did that drive and thought about it more - back to city hunting.

Thoughts on Westcliff ES? Is it comparable at all to Lily b/Tanglewood?

Somewhat comparable to Lily B, not near the same level as Tanglewood.

But it's got involved parents, and it's elementary school in a decent neighborhood... so the final output really isn't going to be that much different if you do the leg work.
Matsui
AG
Near Trader Joe's off hulen
Matsui
AG
Does not compare to tangle wood.
AF DOC
AG
We're in the Active Option period in a house in T-wood region! It needs some work, we're getting quotes from contractors now but closing date is April 10. Very excited to be in the area.

bangobango
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Don't paint all of fwisd with a broad brush. I will put up the kids from the Tanglewood- McLean- Paschal or Lily B- McLean- Paschal against any in north Texas.
I taught in FWISD for many years. I stand by my comments.
Buford Tannen
AG
Seems like Westcliff EL has made a lot of progress lately as well.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.