Metroplex
Sponsored by

Considering move to Ft. Worth

11,229 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Matsui
moore5663
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I grew up in SE Texas but have lived In the Carolinas for the last 25 years. Job offer in Arlington, but I don't think I would want to live in the Dallas side of the Metroplex. Any advice about family oriented communities in that area? Thanks
Quinn
AG
How much are you looking to spend? What is important to you? How long of a commute are you willing to deal with? Where in Arlington is the job? Public or Private schools for kids?
wbt5845
wbt5845
AG
I live in Arlington and love it. Like any other large city, there are some great areas and bad ones.
aggie_wes
AG
Where is the job? Depending on where in Arlington, I'd look somewhere along the 360 or PGBT corridors. Mansfield up to maybe Carrollton. You could go west to fort Worth but depending on schools you'll be going way west or way North fort Worth, unless you are ok with private.

Buford Tannen
AG
Ridglea and Tanglewood are your most family oriented communities in FWISD proper. However, you are looking at private school past elementary at this point in time. Paschal is an ok high school and Heights is comparable.

Otherwise you go to Aledo, Southlake, or Colleyville.
moore5663
AG
Probably Catholic schools for high school and elementary. Probably looking to spend $750-$1M. Location is just north of I-20. Thanks for all of the comments.
aggie_wes
AG
In that case look at Bay Club or one of the nicer parts of Arlington and send the kids to Nolan Catholic.
ftworthag02
AG
Fort Worth neighborhoods:
Tanglewood: 1950-60s homes but many are being remodeled or torn down and Mcmasion thrown up, great elementary school, right next to tcu, north of 20 and east of Hulen st
Overton Woods: 1980-1990s, feeds into Tanglewood elementary, north of 20 and west of Hulen st,
Park Hill: 1920s homes, east of tcu, above the zoo, feeds into Lily B. Clayton Elementary (another excellent elementary school)
Berkeley: 1920s homes, east of tcu and east of Park Hill, feeds into Lily B. Clayton, east of the zoo.
Ridglea Hills: 1950-1960s, west Fort Worth just north of 183, large lots, lots of young couples moving into neighborhood, I hear Ridglea Hills is a good elementary school, middle school & high school not so much.

St. Andrews Catholic school for Elementary & Middle and then either Nolan Catholic or Paschal High School (most national merits in Fort Worth)
Buford Tannen
AG
Right now Ridglea Country Club Estates is a great value.
aglaohfour
AG
I commuted Fort Worth to Dallas for years and just from the commute aspect, it was hell. That being said, I was willing to do it solely because we love Fort Worth so much. We had lived in Dallas previously and moving over there when I got the job wasn't even a consideration. I do think the commute to Arlington would be a lot less trying though.

I'd recommend spending a week or so in Fort Worth and having a realtor take you to view homes in the neighborhoods listed above. I feel like a week is more than enough time to fall in love with this city, and once you narrow down your neighborhood preferences, everyone here can give you great advice. It really is a great place to raise a family.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Benbrook
Agnzona
Fort Worth any of the old neighborhoods by TCU or north of the 30 River Oaks, Riverbend or Westoverhills. The only other areas I'd considered might be Southlake or Grapevine.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
moore5663
AG
Thanks to everyone who posted. This gives me a great place to start looking. Any comments on commuting from Ft Worth on I-20? The exit in Arlington looks to be around Bowen Rd.
ftworthag02
AG
you tend to get some traffic around 820 and 287 interchange. For instance, right now from Tanglewood neighborhood to 20 & Bowen is showing 21mins.
AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah the worst part of that commute coming and going would be the 20/820/287 interchange. They hit pretty much all in the same place. But it is usually not horrific to get through and timing makes all the difference. If your commute was going further east say past 360 then you get into some really hairy traffic.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
GTBullitt68
AG
Given the Bowen and Arlington exit, I'd also look at Mansfield. Your commute would be around 10-15min and you get a lot of value for your money there. Great schools and larger lots too
Agnzona
moore5663 said:

Thanks to everyone who posted. This gives me a great place to start looking. Any comments on commuting from Ft Worth on I-20? The exit in Arlington looks to be around Bowen Rd.

15-20 minutes easy commute. Fort worth,Arlington and GP have no real traffic issue Dallas and all the communities north do. I drive 21 miles from Ft worth to near DFW 25-30 minutes in summer and maybe 10 minutes more once school starts.

I second Mansfield too if you want that smaller town vibe and some room.

You might also consider the Lake Arlington area. Some very nice homes and your commute would be like 5 minutes.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
moore5663 said:

Are you more interested in an older home with more character, mature trees, etc, or are you drawn more to new or newer construction and the master planned community feel? They are quite different, and each can be great, but that could have an effect on whether you consider suburbs or Ft Worth proper.

Also, happy to help with the process if you need an agent that will work hard to help your family meet your needs.
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
EOE
I live at Hulen and I-20 and regularly travel to Bowen and I-20. That is a super easy commute and I would look in Tanglewood or Ridlea Country Club Estates if it were me. Tanglewood is a great elementary and FWISD is building a new elementary to reduce the size of Tanglewood.

If you are going private school for kids, you could look in Mira Vista just south of 20. There are quite a few folks who send their kids to private school after elementary in this area because the public schools aren't rated as high and are more diverse than some people are comfortable with.
Agnzona
Fort Worth Country Day is in your area too. Don't know anything about it but the campus is impressive. The other benefit to that Hulen/clearfork area is access to shopping that's more of a challenge in the older FW communities.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Mansfield for room? Not the Mansfield I know
Buford Tannen
AG
Country Day is pretty expensive I think. But it's a great private school if you can swing it.
YouBet
AG
moore5663 said:

Probably Catholic schools for high school and elementary. Probably looking to spend $750-$1M.Location is just north of I-20. Thanks for all of the comments.

Nice. This thread is like an episode of House Hunters on the rare occasion that the budget is north of $200-300k. I usually switch channel unless I hear budget is at least $600-700k.
moore5663
AG
Ha! House Hunters is the last place you'll see me! Thanks to all. You have been very helpful.
TexAggee05
AG
North side of I20/Bowen in Dalworthington Gardens. This area has always intrigued me...
94chem
I grew up in Fort Worth just a few minutes from Nolan HS, on the highest point in Fort Worth, overlooking I-30. I ended up going to Lamar - transferred out of Eastern Hills. Almost went to Nolan.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TexAggee05 said:

North side of I20/Bowen in Dalworthington Gardens. This area has always intrigued me...

This on a property on Rush Creek.
thisguy05
AG
Fort Worth born and raised. I, too, highly recommend it. I also work in Dallas and make the daily commute, but it's worth it to me to live in Fort Worth. Happy house hunting!

I live in Berkeley, which is great for an I-30 commute. Could work as well for I-20 via 287. Tanglewood also solid, as mentioned.
Buford Tannen
AG
What are your thoughts on Berkeley? Is there a young family dynamic? Gentrification? Neighborhood pride and community? Just curious.
Old School Brother
If this were House Hunters, OP would be an elementary school teacher and his wife would be a hair stylist, and their budget would be $1-1.2MM.
ftworthag02
AG
I'm a little biased since our family moved to Berkeley when I was 1 from Ridgmar and my parents are still there after 39 years. There's a good amount of young families. I'm not sure what the percentages are based on young families vs old families. My wife and I live in Ryan Place and both of our parents live in Berkeley but I can't speak to how close those younger families are, ie hanging out, having parties, etc. I know many of the families send their kids to Lily B. Clayton Elementary where my wife is a kindergarten teacher. Beautiful 1920's homes w/ large, old trees. Many of the homes are sold by word of mouth or on their facebook page. I know they have a 4th of July parade, a Easter egg hunt in Tillery park, not sure if they still have block parties.
The Shank Ag
We live in Westcliff West in the shadow of the tcu baseball stadium. Love our neighborhood though there are a few homes that still rent to students. We are hoping for our daughter to go to Tanglewood elementary in a few years and then will transition to either country day or trinity valley. Some nice homes in our neighborhood and neighboring Tanglewood in the 600-800 range.
Buford Tannen
AG
We used to live on South Hills on the Westcliff EL side. Great neighborhood.
thisguy05
AG
I echo everything 02 said above.

Berkeley is the best neighborhood in Fort Worth as far as I'm concerned. Very strong sense of community, lots of activities, deep loyalty to Lily B. That comes at a premium. The neighborhood isn't very big (~500 houses) and, not to put too fine a point on it, you kinda have to wait for someone to die to buy a house the big ones, anyway.

It is a good mix of young and old. Houses are constantly being renovated, but I wouldn't call that gentrification because it's already a wealthy neighborhood.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.