Metroplex
Sponsored by

Where should we be looking for a house?

6,381 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AW 1880
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Husband's office will be in Plano. I'm going to be working from home, so that shouldn't be a big issue. No kids. Where do all the cool people live? We are moving from out of state and aren't really familiar with any of the changes in the area.
akaggie05
AG
Nm
powerbelly
AG
What is your budget?
aggiespartan
AG
powerbelly said:

What is your budget?
340 or lower depending on if any work needs to be done.
AggieFrog
AG
aggiespartan said:

Husband's office will be in Plano. I'm going to be working from home, so that shouldn't be a big issue. No kids. Where do all the cool people live? We are moving from out of state and aren't really familiar with any of the changes in the area.

Frisco, but having all the cool people there is a reason I wouldn't want to live there. Great place if you're into nice restaurants / shopping / etc.
Van Buren Boy
AG
That's great! Where did your husband end up if you don't mind me asking?
aggiespartan
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

That's great! Where did your husband end up if you don't mind me asking?
Same firm, but different position. The branch in Dallas hasn't really fully assimilated with the firm's culture, so it's going to be a different environment, even though it's technically the same. He's going down Memorial Day weekend, and I'll be down as soon as we sell here and buy there. It's still a bit surreal, but moving 2000 miles will do that to you.
South Platte
My parents moved to plano when I finished high school. Plano is broken into 3 sections. East side of 75 is run down, central is older but stable and still has some great neighborhoods, and the west side is new with more expensive homes. If schools are involved, then you have to be careful since central plano has started to balance out from a demographics standpoint. $350k might not get you into plano west.
sherminator
AggieFrog said:

aggiespartan said:

Frisco, but having all the cool people there is a reason I wouldn't want to live there. Great place if you're into nice restaurants / shopping / etc.
Cool people live in Frisco? Cool ppl live in Dallas, duh.
AggieFrog
AG
sherminator said:

AggieFrog said:

aggiespartan said:

Cool people live in Frisco? Cool ppl live in Dallas, duh.

I'm from Irving and used to live in Dallas. Personally I much prefer life west of I-35W.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Where in Plano is he working? These burbs have gotten so large and congested that just crossing Plano in rush hour can be a 20-30 minute trip.
bert harbinson
AG
I live in Plano. Despite it being viewed as a soulless, cookie-cutter suburb, the west side is clean and well maintained, has everything I need and it's close to work. As the metroplex grows Plano doesn't seem as far north as it used to. Some good parks with Oak Point and Bob Woodruff in the east and Arbor Hills in the west. The schools are generally good in all the northern suburbs. Consider Allen, Frisco, Plano, west McKinney, maybe Lewisville, far North Dallas, or Richardson. Property values are ridiculous, you may need to adjust your budget or go smaller/older. And be prepared...homes in your price range can sell very quickly (some within hours of being listed). Good luck!
gig em 02
bert harbinson said:

I live in Plano. Despite it being viewed as a soulless, cookie-cutter suburb, the west side is clean and well maintained, has everything I need and it's close to work. As the metroplex grows Plano doesn't seem as far north as it used to. Some good parks with Oak Point and Bob Woodruff in the east and Arbor Hills in the west. The schools are generally good in all the northern suburbs. Consider Allen, Frisco, Plano, west McKinney, maybe Lewisville, far North Dallas, or Richardson. Property values are ridiculous, you may need to adjust your budget or go smaller/older. And be prepared...homes in your price range can sell very quickly (some within hours of being listed). Good luck!

Shhh don't tell the dallasites that

which major highway intersections is your husbands office?
Van Buren Boy
AG
I'm in Richardson and commute to Preston and 121. I have three good options to get there depending on traffic. Usually takes me about 30 minutes in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon. Not too bad.
aggiespartan
AG
gig em 02 said:

bert harbinson said:

It will be very close to Alma and SW 15th. Right off 75 and the Turnpike.

We aren't too concerned about the market at this point. It's better than where we are coming from.
Van Buren Boy
AG
aggiespartan said:

gig em 02 said:

bert harbinson said:

It will be very close to Alma and SW 15th. Right off 75 and the Turnpike.

We aren't too concerned about the market at this point. It's better than where we are coming from.
Richardson all day then.
AW 1880
AG
Richardson is a great suggestion. Depending on what your preferences (e.g., larger lots) are, you might look at Allen, Murphy, Parker, Lucas, etc.
Rudyjax
AG
Little Elm.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree with the Richardson, Murphy, Parker, Allen, Lucas suggestions. North Plano would be good too. The diagonal trek to Frisco, Prosper, Little Elm etc would be a surprisingly long beating. I'd mostly recommend staying south of 121, especially if you drift west (ie along the N Dallas Tollway corridor). Going north in that corrider forces your commute thru the exploding Legacy Park area (121 and Tollway). Do not recommend doing this.
Heisenberg01
AG
AW 1880 said:

Richardson is a great suggestion. Depending on what your preferences (e.g., larger lots) are, you might look at Allen, Murphy, Parker, Lucas, etc.

Agree with Richardson... being close and counter flow of the downtown commuter traffic is a big deal. You may have a tough time getting into Prairie Creek at that price but there are many other good neighborhoods in the area.
aggielostinETX
AG
First thread in a while where no one will recommend LH.
Rudyjax
AG
Can they afford something nice in LH in that budget?
aggielostinETX
AG
It would be small or most likely will need lots of work or back up to apartments.

This was more of a statement about the craziness of prices in Dallas.

https://www.ebby.com/advanced-search/view//MaponicsSeniorHighSchool/483702004138/HousingTypeLi/single%20detached/Max_Price/350000/Min_Price/300000/Property_Type/89/orderby/list_price/descending/count/36
Rudyjax
AG
Deats said:

It would be small or most likely will need lots of work or back up to apartments.

This was more of a statement about the craziness of prices in Dallas.

https://www.ebby.com/advanced-search/view//MaponicsSeniorHighSchool/483702004138/HousingTypeLi/single%20detached/Max_Price/350000/Min_Price/300000/Property_Type/89/orderby/list_price/descending/count/36

Yeah. My house is almost 2xs what I paid for it.
McInnisAg08
AG
What are people's thoughts on Brookstone subdivision in McKinney?
Follow up question, how about Elliott elementary school?
Gil Renard
AG
Deats said:

Totes brah LH is where it be. Tones Rome's
powerbelly
AG
Deats said:

I am currently looking in lake highlands and it is not going well.
sburg2007
Come buy mine in West plano! Ohio and just north of park. Please.
aggiespartan
AG
sburg2007 said:

Come buy mine in West plano! Ohio and just north of park. Please.
Do you have a listing?
aggiespartan
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

AW 1880 said:

Agree with Richardson... being close and counter flow of the downtown commuter traffic is a big deal. You may have a tough time getting into Prairie Creek at that price but there are many other good neighborhoods in the area.
I haven't found anything in Richardson that meets what we are looking for. I'm really not seeing a lot in our price range there.
culdeus
AG
aggiespartan said:

Heisenberg01 said:

AW 1880 said:

I haven't found anything in Richardson that meets what we are looking for. I'm really not seeing a lot in our price range there.

340 is tight but if you look south of campbell, north of spring valley and west of 75 between floyd and coit I think you'll find something in that range if you aren't looking for a specific school.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At your price range, I'd probably lean toward something in north Plano or Murphy (can probably get a little more for your $ in Murphy). Allen west of 75 is probably mostly out of that range, although there are some older, smaller homes east of 75 in Allen that would work. But personally, I'd probably vote Murphy over doing that. Richardson is a good spot, but at that price, it will definitely need to be a right house, right time situation.
Rudyjax
AG
This may sound dumb, but have you contacted a realtor that specializes in this area?
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

This may sound dumb, but have you contacted a realtor that specializes in this area?
Yes. This may sound dumb, but I like to gather more opinions than just from the realtor.
DannyDuberstein
AG
what's the realtor telling you?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.