Metroplex
Sponsored by

Where should we be looking for a house?

6,375 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AW 1880
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

This may sound dumb, but have you contacted a realtor that specializes in this area?
Yes. This may sound dumb, but I like to gather more opinions than just from the realtor.
It is dumb. I agree that maybe you should get opinions of the pros and cons of an area, but like anything else, just because others love it, it doesn't mean that you will.

You said you can't find houses in Richardson that fit your criteria, but you haven't found a realtor? You need to find one that knows the market so well he/she can get in before it hits MLS. In this market, house hunting is proactive rather than reactive.
sburg2007
yessir. MLS #: 13840895. Its an actually an awesome location as far as anything you want being really close.
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

This may sound dumb, but have you contacted a realtor that specializes in this area?
Yes. This may sound dumb, but I like to gather more opinions than just from the realtor.
It is dumb. I agree that maybe you should get opinions of the pros and cons of an area, but like anything else, just because others love it, it doesn't mean that you will.

You said you can't find houses in Richardson that fit your criteria, but you haven't found a realtor? You need to find one that knows the market so well he/she can get in before it hits MLS. In this market, house hunting is proactive rather than reactive.
I do have a realtor. We are just looking around right now. We don't have our house listed here up yet, so we can't jump on anything if it comes up. I appreciate your input, but I'm familiar with the process.
Rudyjax
AG
Great.
gig em 02
Get an apartment a short drive from the office and live there for 6 months or so until you figure out which part of town you want to be in. It won't hurt to be looking at houses during the off season either.
aggiespartan
AG
The issue that we have with that is that changing areas could potentially have a negative impact on my business. I expect most of my customers will be pretty local.
Rudyjax
AG
What is your business?
aggiespartan
AG
Home based bakery
Rudyjax
AG
aggiespartan said:

Home based bakery

Do you can move your business from one state to another but not from one town to another?

And don't you need a large kitchen with a lot of stuff?
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Home based bakery

Do you can move your business from one state to another but not from one town to another?

I'm not really moving my business. I'm essentially starting over. Texas cottage food laws won't allow me to ship, so I won't be keeping any of my customer base here, with the exception of the people I shipped to in the DFW area.

Under Texas cottage food laws, you just need a residential kitchen with residential appliances. Most of the houses that we are looking at may need a kitchen remodel to make things easier, but some of them will only need appliance upgrades. I'm not sure what "stuff" you are talking about, but all I really need is a fridge, oven, a burner, and a sink. To operate on a bit larger scale, I'll need a double oven and a separate fridge.
HBCanine08
AG
Unthought Known said:

aggiespartan said:

Home based bakery

Username checks out
Rudyjax
AG
Not sure you know what my user name means. Because it definately doesn't check out.
Rudyjax
AG
I imagine t would be hard to scale a business like that with 1 oven.

Based on that, I would look further away from the city where you get more bang for our buck. Does that make sense?

aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

I imagine t would be hard to scale a business like that with 1 oven.

Based on that, I would look further away from the city where you get more bang for our buck. Does that make sense?

It does, but I have to also balance that with being around people and being able to network. We've calculated a kitchen remodel into our budget. We did it up here, so we sort of know what all that entails, and things to make it go smoother. Facebook actually just popped up this morning and told me that it's the 3 year anniversary of my ovens being installed. We've come across a couple of houses that would have been perfect as is, but as expected, they go fast. We will be in a better situation to put in offers in about a week and a half. I've got my eye on a house in Murphy, but you can't tell big the yard is from the pictures.
Rudyjax
AG
Perfect.

I didn't mean the sticks, but that sounds like great option.

Can you get a satellite image of the house to see the yard?
aggiespartan
AG
Unthought Known said:

Perfect.

Yea, but it's really just difficult to tell. My husband is driving down this weekend, so he will be there to look at everything in person.
AW 1880
AG
I live in Murphy and might be able to answer any questions you might have. If you have kids, you may want to know that a portion of the town is Plano ISD and the other portion is Wylie ISD. Also, let me know if you have any specific questions regarding different neighborhoods.
Texker
AG
aggiespartan said:

Unthought Known said:

Perfect.

Yea, but it's really just difficult to tell. My husband is driving down this weekend, so he will be there to look at everything in person.
Our house may hit MLS in a couple of weeks for around 338k. We live in Canyon Creek in Richardson. It's Collin County so Plano schools. (Aldridge, Wilson, Vines, Plano Senior). I say may because it has a "Coming Soon" sign in the yard but expecting an offer in a few days based on a pre-list showing. That's not a done deal by any means so hit me up and I can give you specs on address and agent contact info. It's a one story 4-2.5-2 and just under 2300 sq. ft.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Far north Carrollton would fit the bill. You can find 15 year old houses in a few neighborhoods for under that. Stay in Lewisville isd.
aggiespartan
AG
We offered on, and it was accepted, a house in Carrollton. It's in the Dallas ISD, but we don't have any kids to worry about. Pretty nice, updated house with a pool and a large lot. We are excited and should be in on July 9. The area that we are in looks like a pretty decent neighborhood. Cody helped us out and steered us away from the houses that were bad deals.
MD1993
AG
There are several homes for sale in Sachse, about 15 minutes from East of Plano. Smallish town that is growing. but we like it.
AgLaw
AG
aggiespartan said:

We offered on, and it was accepted, a house in Carrollton. It's in the Dallas ISD, but we don't have any kids to worry about. Pretty nice, updated house with a pool and a large lot. We are excited and should be in on July 9. The area that we are in looks like a pretty decent neighborhood. Cody helped us out and steered us away from the houses that were bad deals.

Congratulations. Now it's time to turn your attention to the best restaurants in the area. If you are into lobster, check out Lefty's Lobster House on Belt Line in Addison. One of my favorites.
aggiespartan
AG
AgLaw said:

aggiespartan said:

Congratulations. Now it's time to turn your attention to the best restaurants in the area. If you are into lobster, check out Lefty's Lobster House on Belt Line in Addison. One of my favorites.
Thanks! We'll definitely check it out.

I'm also going to be looking for ways to get involved, network, and meet some new people.
aggielostinETX
AG
Congrats!
Matilda
AG

Edit: too late. Congrats!
wbt5845
AG
I am always kind of amazed at how school district boundaries were drawn back in the day. Sure, I realize it was probably the property line of some old civil war veteran's farm when they laid it down, but it makes for some interesting developments nowadays.

Here's a section of the boundary between Carrollton and Dallas ISD. With that line running due north-south through those houses, it would be interesting to see where Carrollton stops and Dallas begins. My understanding is when a line runs through a house, they look at what side the master bedroom lies on. And if the master bedroom is split, I don't know what they do!

ChoppinDs40
AG
South plano west of Custer or Coit.

Lots of old established neighborhoods and the Olds are moving out. There are about 5 homes within a mile of us that have been renovated and selling for 300-350k.

2000-2400 sqft homes. Some with pools some without.
BoDog
AG
I am pretty sure the boundaries are based on where the mailbox is located....
AW 1880
AG
I live on the Plano and Wylie ISD line. I did some research online and if the line runs through the middle of the property, you can pick which district to attend. I'm not sure how that works from a tax standpoint.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.