Metroplex
Sponsored by

2018 DCAD values are out

9,136 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fenrir
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Username checks out.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Drewser,

Yes, the 100 year improvement went up for the first time in 15 years I think. ha. But, the market value has also shot up quite nicely as rents have exploded. If you have any interested buyers, looking to sell.
Ornlu
AG
So we just purchased last month, and paid $227,400. Our appraisal for the purchase said value was $229,900. Lien amount is $181,900.

DCAD appraisal just came back at $225,400 (exactly $2,000 under our purchase amount). House is in great shape with nothing in need of repairs except an inoperable irrigation controller.

I'm all for protesting for the sake of protesting, but I can't think of any convincing argument in my favor. How can I protest this?
aggielostinETX
AG
You will lose
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I'm all for protesting for the sake of protesting, but I can't think of any convincing argument in my favor. How can I protest this?
You will lose.

Don't worry, your time for battles will come later.
Ornlu
AG
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Strangely, this incentivizes me to not fix s**t all year long, just so I can protest next year...
Quinn
AG
Just submitted my protest. Land increased by 25%, the first increase for land value since 2007. Improvements were up 6.6%. We did redo the bathroom, so maybe they happened to be by on a day that a work truck was there? Honestly, the Market Value now is right at, or perhaps above, what I think we could get if we sold. My biggest issue is that our Desirability is EXCELLENT, which is crazy for our home. Should be GOOD. I've been told by a buddy that the informal protest is the best method, so I might end up doing a walk in if my schedule allows.

Edit: Highland Meadows neighborhood.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

My biggest issue is that our Desirability is EXCELLENT, which is crazy for our home.
My understanding is desirability relates to the neighborhood more so than your house; could be wrong, hard to find info on it for sure. Assuming that is the case, we got boned. We're excellent, 2 immediate neighbors are fair, 2 other are good. We're on Ferndale, which should knock it down a couple pegs as it is so busy.
Quinn
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

My biggest issue is that our Desirability is EXCELLENT, which is crazy for our home.
My understanding is desirability relates to the neighborhood more so than your house; could be wrong, hard to find info on it for sure. Assuming that is the case, we got boned. We're excellent, 2 immediate neighbors are fair, 2 other are good. We're on Ferndale, which should knock it down a couple pegs as it is so busy.
Hmm my buddy told me that the Desirability rating should apply to the entire city, not in comparison to the neighborhood. We probably are one of the best houses on our street, but not Excellent in comparison to the whole city. He flips houses and owns rentals (said he is protesting 33 houses!) so I assumed he knew what he was talking about. He also mentioned that going in for an informal review with black and white pictures was a good approach to take.

Did you already settle yours, OJ?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just filed yesterday. I don't really have much to stand on.

Have y'all checked out www.propertytax.io ?
Pepper Brooks
AG
I just efiled, anyone want to place bets on how this goes?

Venue: Denton Co
Proposed value: $353,000(full 10% above last year)

Purchased the house 2 years ago for $320k. Used the appraisal to keep the appraised value nearly equal to that last year.

We have had 2 homes sell in our neighborhood over the last 6 months which are in the ballpark from a sq/ft standpoint.

Ours: 2,280 sq/ft
House 1 - 2,589 - $360k(140 sq/ft)
House 2 - 2,015 - $335k(166 sq/ft)

I proposed $330k(145 sq/ft) for ours.Our house is, unfortunately, in great shape and we've put hardwoods down and redone the kitchen in the last year so I don't have much room to argue on condition.
powerbelly
AG
Good luck. It seems they have accurately assessed value.
Pepper Brooks
AG
$147k was the counter.
Ornlu
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

$147k was the counter.
Surely that's a typo. You mean $347k?
Pepper Brooks
AG
Nope, I just made that compelling of an argument...

Yeah, it's a typo. My bad.
Quinn
AG
How long does it take to get an offer? I'm assuming I will have something soon? Or is it usually a big delay if you wait until the last day to file?
Pepper Brooks
AG
I filed yesterday afternoon and had an offer in my email this morning.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Interesting. Mine said it was coming by snail mail.
20ags08
AG
Hoping someone can give me and my wife some advice/help on this process.

We purchased our first home in Carrollton, Denton County in August. Our purchase price was $325k, it appraised after our offer was accepted for $327K.

We were never mailed our DCAD appraisal and luckily I checked online today and got our notice electronically.

Here are the number for last year 2017
Appraisal- $248k
Taxes- $4,859

Here are the numbers for 2018, we have owned since August
Appraisal- $308k
Taxes- $6,841

Now I am really new to this whole home owner stuff and am just wondering if I have anything to protest? I mean yes, I want my house to appraise for a lot for when I go to sell it someday, but that is years away. A 60k jump seems like a lot in one year. Looking at hour subdivision, the median home appraisal is $227k.

Can anyone give me any advice on what my next steps should be, or if there is anything I can do? Really appreciate any help.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I mean yes, I want my house to appraise for a lot for when I go to sell it someday, but that is years away.
I don't know anyone that looks at DCAD value when selling or buying a home.
20ags08
AG
Quote:

Quote:

:
I mean yes, I want my house to appraise for a lot for when I go to sell it someday, but that is years away.
I don't know anyone that looks at DCAD value when selling or buying a home.

Gotcha, thank you.
752bro4
AG
A how-to on what you should do every year for protesting.

Step 1 - make sure you have your homeowner's exemption if you owned the house and lived in it on January 1.

Then see the link below

https://www.facebook.com/jon.altschuler/media_set?set=a.2064927752461.2126570.1522776160&type=3
Copp
Desirability ratings have to do with how the counties system depreciates the property. Its on a per property basis, not by neighborhood. So an "Average" rated property will get more deprecation than an "Excellent" rated property, thus reducing the assessed value. Ratings are as follows

Excellent
Very Good
Good
Average
Fair
Poor
Very Poor
Undesirable
Post removed:
by user
FincAg
AG
Is there a general idea what desirability means? Our 1950's home is not updated since the 1980's and is labeled as Excellent while no other homes, sans the tear down rebuilds, are desired similarly. All the other homes like ours are either Good or Average. The recently renovated are Very Good. I doubt they will knock more than a couple grand off our appraisal anyway as it was fairly appraised, but I wish they would address the desirability issue.
Copp
If it's dallas and you can get down to average, it can reduce the value by a good amount. Take pictures of cracks in the brick, grade beam, Sheetrock, any rotten siding, just anything that can make your property look less desirable
Quinn
AG
Why haven't I received an email from DCAD, Copp? Does that mean I don't owe any property tax next year?
aggielostinETX
AG
Actually desirability is a neighborhood characteristic.
Condition is a per home item but leave it to DCAD to to not even get that right, they have conflicting info on their own website about CDU and they are playing games with it.

Fenrir
Quinn said:

Why haven't I received an email from DCAD, Copp? Does that mean I don't owe any property tax next year?
Yes, that's what it means. You won the lottery on this one.

Keep an eye on your mail for a protest hearing date/time. Also if you know who is assigned to your protest, you can try to work it out with them prior to your actual hearing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.