Metroplex
Sponsored by

John Wiley Price corruption trial

9,715 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Law Hall 69-72
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Comments? Jury selection took one day and consists of ten women and two men. I'm hoping he's convicted.
powerbelly
AG
My understanding is that federal prosecutors wouldn't bring this to trial without it being a "slam dunk" case.

My brother actually got a juror questionnaire in the mail for this trial. It was ~100 pages long. I am not surprised jury selection was so quick.
The Collective
AG
double aught said:

Comments? Jury selection took one day and consists of ten women and two men. I'm hoping he's convicted.

The key demographic is missing... can you tell us that one?
double aught
AG
It sure is. I tried to find it (if 20 seconds of googling counts as trying), but was unsuccessful. I would think that's what the trial comes down to. Get the wrong jury, and they won't convict regardless of the evidence presented.
BoomGoesThe
If you're looking for the make-up of the jury.

CampingAg
AG
Had a buddy of mine get pulled for jury duty for this case. They asked him what radio stations he listens to and the said the Ticket. They wound up telling him thanks but no thanks.
Chewy
AG
I know it sounds like the Feds have him but the dude is so Teflon I still assume he walks totally free when it's all said and done.
agchino
AG
AllThings12thMan said:

Had a buddy of mine get pulled for jury duty for this case. They asked him what radio stations he listens to and the said the Ticket. They wound up telling him thanks but no thanks.
Everybody knows the little Ticket is a Dwayne Caraway station!
MW03
AG
I don't think you can understate the importance of the fact that this is a federal case. They jury pool for the Northern District of Texas comes from all over, not just Dallas County. He may be teflon in a state case, but I'd be most interested on what county these jurors came from. That's as important as any factor.
aggielostinETX
AG
Female factor is interesting. State's main witness is a female.
CampingAg
AG
agchino said:

AllThings12thMan said:

Everybody knows the little Ticket is a Dwayne Caraway station!
That's the point.
91AggieLawyer
AG
2 possible scenarios: conviction and hung jury. I really think acquittal at this point is unlikely.

I do, however, think he'll be free on appeal -- which will take years and there isn't any guarantee a conviction won't be undone.
aggielostinETX
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

2 possible scenarios: conviction and hung jury. I really think acquittal at this point is unlikely.

I do, however, think he'll be free on appeal -- which will take years and there isn't any guarantee a conviction won't be undone.
how bad were the prosecution/FBI screw-ups?
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't know. Didn't hear about those until today. If they found several hundred thousand dollars in cash at his home, they at least had him cold on tax evasion. Why they pulled any shenanigans on this case is beyond me.

I don't have any love lost for Price, nor do I not believe fully the allegations, but this is another example of where prosecutors may simply be trying to win a case vs. doing justice. That isn't right, regardless of who the defendant is. If they did something wrong, however, the judge should protect the defendant's rights but shouldn't wreck the case.
Stive
AG
I must have missed it. What happened?
91AggieLawyer
AG
News Article
proc
AG
"As a result, Lynn allowed the defense to re-call those two FBI witnesses and ask them new questions. Prosecutors will not be able to ask their own questions unless they convince Lynn that they should be allowed to."

This should cure the potential error and harm analysis, imo.
FCBlitz
I would like to see JWP go to jail. Just another black corrupt politician that shakes people down for money. Have you noticed when race baiters like him finally get investigated and arrested it is over that is just over the top corruption. There are smaller accounts of illegal activities and they are left alone by the cops and just never seems to be prosecuted.
In the end that is what gets them feeling like they are untouchable.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've got a bad feeling he is going to get away with all of this.
wbt5845
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I've got a bad feeling he is going to get away with all of this.
I do too. Didn't think so until the prosecution made so many mistakes these last few weeks. Defense didn't even feel like they needed to put either defendant up there.
PatAg
AG
FCBlitz said:

I would like to see JWP go to jail. Just another black corrupt politician that shakes people down for money. Have you noticed when race baiters like him finally get investigated and arrested it is over that is just over the top corruption. There are smaller accounts of illegal activities and they are left alone by the cops and just never seems to be prosecuted.
In the end that is what gets them feeling like they are untouchable.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Can someone give me a summary of what he did or is being accused of?
DannyDuberstein
AG
In short, he's accused of taking around a million bucks in bribes to funnel and approve county contracts to certain vendors. And then also tax evasion for not reporting it.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Wasn't there a female politician banging some contractor and funneling him business? Maybe in Richardson?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Richardson mayor ended up resigning afyer it came out that she had an affiar with a developer that got a big project. Although nothing criminal came of it and I think they decided it was still appropriately awarded.
chick79
AG
^
|
Laura Macza. An Aggie unfortunately.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The challenge with Price's case is that rarely are things incredibly clear and clean to explain to a jury. Between the use of middlemen (or in his case, women) and them at least making some effort to conceal what they were doing under the guise of "consultation", a juror that is already inclined to be sympathetic to Price can be tough to convince. And in this case, it sounds like there were some screwups to mix in that don't help.
MattAg06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The challenge with Price's case is that rarely are things incredibly clear and clean to explain to a jury. Between the use of middlemen (or in his case, women) and them at least making some effort to conceal what they were doing under the guise of "consultation", a juror that is already inclined to be sympathetic to Price can be tough to convince. And in this case, it sounds like there were some screwups to mix in that don't help.
Yep. The Clay Davis trial from the Wire comes to mind for me. We're still missing where JWP talks about getting "puff jackets for dem kids", but there's still time!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

juror that is already inclined to be sympathetic to Price can be tough to convince

This is a federal jury making that less of a problem. He would never lose a similar state trial in Dallas County.
aggielostinETX
AG
Just found out I grew up with his lawyer, Chris Knox. His dad was a semi-famous Dallas criminal defense lawyer Bill Knox. His favorite quote "Every time the phone rings, another hooker gets busted."
DannyDuberstein
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

juror that is already inclined to be sympathetic to Price can be tough to convince

This is a federal jury making that less of a problem. He would never lose a similar state trial in Dallas County.
This is my hope. Still worried about that factor though
drewser95
AG
Charges of bribery and fraud against John Wiley Price may be tossed before jury gets case

Well...maybe they can still get him on tax evasion
double aught
AG
Government puts years into the case, and still manages to (apparently) screw it up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Corrupt mother****er is going to walk. Judge confirmed she will let all charges go to jury, but she will overturn any mail fraud conviction.
proc
AG
Jury nullification.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.