Metroplex
Sponsored by

John Wiley Price corruption trial

9,714 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Law Hall 69-72
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is the prosecution purposefully losing this case and if so why?
YouBet
AG
Amazing.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Still deliberating. We're going to end up with a hung jury on what should have been a slamdunk case.
powerbelly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Still deliberating. We're going to end up with a hung jury on what should have been a slamdunk case.
Hung jury is the best case scenario for this inept prosecution.
Stive
AG
Yeah the Ticket was talking about it this morning and how at this point they're HOPING for a hung jury so that they can possibly try it again (as opposed to a definitive not guilty verdict).
The Collective
AG
How do you do that much work, and end up with a case where the judge is pretty much mocking your efforts? I don't get it.
Agnzona
I think none of the White Dallas elite leadership wanted him convicted. You couldn't be this inept accidentally.
proc
AG
Or, they are hires from during the Obama administration.

That having been said, their careers will stagnate with a loss here so I doubt they are willing to fall on this sword with a Trump appointee in charge now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
What's the federal conviction rate? 95%? The feds aren't in the habit of butchering cases (or taking tough cases that can be butchered), which makes this even more surprising.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
DMNews desperately wants either a hung jury or an acquittal !
aggielostinETX
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

What's the federal conviction rate? 95%? The feds aren't in the habit of butchering cases (or taking tough cases that can be butchered), which makes this even more surprising.
yes, AUSA's don't go to court without "knowing" the outcome.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So what the hell happened? Or do we have to wait for the book in 5-10 years?
DannyDuberstein
AG
The mail fraud charges carry up to 30 years, where the bribery and tax evasion carry up to 5 (or less). I get the feeling they may have fallen to the temptation of bringing the mail fraud in due to stronger penalty, but the end result was it led to a complicated case getting more complicated. There's also the factor of the period of time they are trying to cover. Basically, I think they got greedy and it blew up in their face, because getting greedy meant getting more complex with greater risk.
The Collective
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The mail fraud charges carry up to 30 years

DannyDuberstein
AG
No surprise, the jury is deadlocked on some of the charges. I take that to mean they have agreed on some of them, although guilty/not guilty would be unknown. Got sent home for the day and will be asked to deliberate more tomorrow.

I would hope that means they deadlocked on the stuff the judge will throw out anyway and guilty on the rest. But if that were the case, I would imagine she'd end it vs. forcing further deliberations, so I'm assuming they are hung on some of the bribery and tax charges.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Verdict is in, to be announced shortly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not guilty on bribery and all mail fraud. Hung on 4 counts of tax charges. And Fain is not guilty on all lf her charges.

Butchered this case. Corrupt mfer will walk.
powerbelly
AG
What a ****ing joke. These prosecuters should all be fired.
The Collective
AG
Dude has 9 lives.
aezmvp
Can't believe South Dallas and all of Dallas County have to continue with this guy. Prosecutors should be fired. Terrible.
LSB_2002
AG
Good Lord!!!!! He won't go away!

If I lived in Dallas...............well...............I'd never live in Dallas. Good luck continuing with this guy for the foreseeable future.
EastSideAg2002
Was it becuase the prosecution played too loose with the rules of discovery? I am not a lawyer, so I am not sure what all the screw ups were.

Can they not remove him from office at least for all the releasing of bid information?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think they tried to bite off more than they could chew charge-wise and in the end made it tougher on themselves to put a coherent story together. But failing to even get him on the tax charges also raises some questions about the jury they assembled.
double aught
AG
Well, this pretty much sums it up exactly. (Some nsfw language at the end)

Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I think they tried to bite off more than they could chew charge-wise and in the end made it tougher on themselves to put a coherent story together.
Well, the retrial will be a lot simpler unfortunately...
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, i doubt they even attempt it.
powerbelly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I think they tried to bite off more than they could chew charge-wise and in the end made it tougher on themselves to put a coherent story together.
Well, the retrial will be a lot simpler unfortunately...
There wont be a retrial IMO.
91AggieLawyer
AG
They better retry him.

The elements of mail fraud are a defense attorney's dream. It requires:

Intent;

A "scheme or artifice to defraud" or the obtaining of property by fraud; and,

A mail or wire communication.

To be fraudulent, a misrepresentation must be material.

The case law will further define the terms within here (e.g. scheme or artifice, obtaining, property, fraud itself, communication, wire communication, and material). I haven't reviewed the case law but I have little doubt I could make a jury think at least twice about a 100% "he did it" defendant, especially given the reasonable doubt standard. This charge, by the way, is more of a catch-all -- i.e. sort of like getting Dillinger on tax evasion. Its what the Feds do to bring about a plea deal.

I'm also betting that the majority of the jury did not like the prosecutors for whatever reason. To me, that explains the hung jury on the other charges.
YouBet
AG
aezmvp said:

Can't believe South Dallas and all of Dallas County have to continue with this guy. Prosecutors should be fired. Terrible.
The citizens of South Dallas would elect this guy from jail if they could. Remember, we are talking about Democrats.

EBJ was reelected after getting busted for embezzlement and no one cared.
aezmvp
YouBet said:

aezmvp said:

The citizens of South Dallas would elect this guy from jail if they could. Remember, we are talking about Democrats.

South Dallas exemplify the HL Mencken quote "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

Doesn't mean that I wish it wasn't a better situation. That jerk deserves to be in jail badly.
drewser95
AG
No new trial, per WFAA just now. Unbelievable.

(edited to add: DD & powerbelly called it three weeks ago)
Chewy
AG
I called it on this thread back in February and have been saying it since he got arrested. Wasn't sure of the mechanics in how he'd get off but the dude is as Teflon as they get in Dallas politics.
Tree Hugger
AG
Bullcrap
Law Hall 69-72
AG
YouBet said:

aezmvp said:

He also didn't get charged for breaking a woman's windshield wipers during one of his protests, but she got arrested for bumping him with her car while he was doing it. Dallas County politicians are just one of the reasons I was very happy to move out of Dallas County several years ago.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.