Metroplex
Sponsored by

Schools in Grapevine/Colleyville/Keller

6,547 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Joe Cole
DallasAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It depends if the student wants to specific programs.

STEM is at GMS and GHS.
Technology is at GHS
FFA is at GHS.
GMS does not seem the place for athletics but it could just be the years that I know about.

I think CHHS is the better high school but the programs are good at GHS

If you would not mind, please vote for our bird to win bird of the year (Cockatiel does R2D2)
https://apps.agorapulse.com/fanVotes/64417/entry/792034
AgBQ-00
AG
Granted it was in the 80s through 90s but my path through school was cannon elementary grapevine middle and grapevine high. They split the high schools the year after I graduated. It is a fantastic district and none of the schools in it are bad schools or schools you would want to avoid. We just had our 20th class reunion this last fall. A lot of success comes from the district because it is challenging and I find prepares the kids for college and life. In that area though all the districts are great. Southlake, Gcisd, Keller and even birdville are good districts.
metrag06
AG
When we were looking a couple of years ago a lot of the homes were zoned to Timberline. I wasn't too impressed with the trends I saw for it on some of the school rating sites.

That said - I wouldn't necessarily avoid it - all of the schools in the district are good. Plus that's assuming what's on the site is accurate which it may not be.

The rest of my insight into the district is as someone who graduated 15 years ago, so may not be applicable anymore.
Todd05
AG
We did this search about two years ago moving from Trophy Club to Colleyville. Trophy Club schools are excellent by the way. We ended up feeding into Taylor Elementary/Colleyville Middle/CHHS which we are really happy about. We have friends with kids at Glenhope Elem, Colleyville Elem, Rockenbaugh, and Old Union...all think they are excellent. I will say the schools we did intentionally avoid were Timberline Elem and Cross Timbers. As mentioned above, majority of the schools in the area are very good. Good luck.
Grapesoda2525
OP you generally can't go wrong with any school in the area and yeah south lake does have the reputation for being snobby. People from the surrounding cities don't like them very much because Carroll ISD configures their schools in a way that makes them only have one senior high school. This gives their varsity football team an unfair advantage ( more kids to choose from). With that said, Southlake is a great place to live if you can ignore the wealthy people trying to flaunt their success because they definitely like to do that around those parts.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
grapespda2525 said:

OP you generally can't go wrong with any school in the area and yeah south lake does have the reputation for being snobby. People from the surrounding cities don't like them very much because Carroll ISD configures their schools in a way that makes them only have one senior high school. This gives their varsity football team an unfair advantage ( more kids to choose from). With that said, Southlake is a great place to live if you can ignore the wealthy people trying to flaunt their success because they definitely like to do that around those parts.

Haha! So who from Southlake hooked up with your wife? Let me apologize on their behalf for the entire town.
metrag06
AG
^ Allow me to introduce Exhibit A... (kidding)

There's a little bit of truth to both sides - SOME Southlake folks are definitely as described (and there are plenty in Colleyville or Grapevine as well), others are fine.

They do screw around with the HS though... I think they're up to a campus per grade now, right?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
metrag06 said:

^ Allow me to introduce Exhibit A... (kidding)

There's a little bit of truth to both sides - SOME Southlake folks are definitely as described (and there are plenty in Colleyville or Grapevine as well), others are fine.

They do screw around with the HS though... I think they're up to a campus per grade now, right?

I'll definitely agree that there are some, I've met one or two in four years. The vast majority are really nice.

There's a freshmen and sophomore high school and also a junior senior campus. Southlake only has 28,000 people, grapevine for example has 50,000. So the messing with schools for football argument is pretty stupid.

It's just a funny stereotype that we're all a bunch of *******s. I don't recall anyone from Aouthlake on this thread trashing anybody else's district or town. The opposite is actually happening.
Hincemm
AG
grapespda2525 said:

Southlake is a great place to live if you can ignore the wealthy people trying to flaunt their success because they definitely like to do that around those parts.
i saw more people on average flaunting their success in south grand prairie compared to southlake...go figure.

perception is biased though.
Ed Carter
AG
I love the bitter and jealous undertones on this thread LOL. Southlake is a phenomenal place to live and people, for the most part, are great.
mbyrd
my address is Keller but it might as well be Southlake. It is a great place to live but to say it doesn't have overtones of affluence and very snobby people you're crazy. When the average home price for the city of Southlake is almost $700,000 and you can find $1.0 MM to $2.0 MM homes at every corner you're not living in the real world. If you take offense to other people taking shots at the city then maybe you fit the stereotype. Stereotypes exist because they are true.

Grapesoda2525
I wouldn't say it for no reason. When I was in college, I worked at the same retail store all the way through just to get some work experience. The store was very close to southlake. A large amount of our customers would come from southlake. Usually when I would be ringing up their purchases, they would mention " oh I'm buying this stuff for my lake house" or " I gotta get these sheets for my second guest room, we're having visitors" and some of you may ask me " how do you know they were from southlake? It could be anywhere!". Our store policy was to ask for ID on credit card purchases and we had to ask for their zip code on every transaction. I don't know about the rest of you but, mentioning your lake house or second guest room in a 1 or 2 minute encounter with a clerk sounds a lot like bragging about your money and wealth to me.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mbyrd said:

my address is Keller but it might as well be Southlake. It is a great place to live but to say it doesn't have overtones of affluence and very snobby people you're crazy. When the average home price for the city of Southlake is almost $700,000 and you can find $1.0 MM to $2.0 MM homes at every corner you're not living in the real world. If you take offense to other people taking shots at the city then maybe you fit the stereotype. Stereotypes exist because they are true.

Why do you have to take shots at Southlake, no one here is taking shots at Keller. I'm sure your friends would love to know you're thoughts about their snobby attitudes. *******s exist in every town, and in all of these cities we've been discussing, there is affluence as well on some level. I'll say it again, the only people being ***** on this thread are people who don't live in Southlake.

I'm sure if Southlake is such a horrible place filled with horrible people you'd be more than happy to spend your money elsewhere. But let's be honest, I'm sure you'll be spending your dollars at the Town Square this weekend, just like last weekend, and the one before that.

Perhaps you'll put your money where your mouth is and boycott this year's Arts in the Square, Fourth of July Celebration, Octoberfest, or Christmas Festival out of your deep rooted stereotypes. I wouldn't want you to come across any snobby people. Somehow I highly doubt it though. See you at the Square!
Hincemm
AG
Quote:

Why do you have to take shots at Southlake, no one here is taking shots at Keller
i don't like to kick a person when he's down...

crap. forgot the winky face.
Hincemm
AG
we're both talking anecdotally, which is inherently prejudice. i don't doubt your experience at all.

just saying that i saw plenty of it my old neighborhood as well.
Chughes88
AG
Very comparable schools. CHHS is a bit more silver spoon, GHS is a bit more blue collar, but the education at both is top notch. I lean more toward GHS just because the culture is a bit more "real world" focused. You definitely aren't in a bubble filled only with people who look, act and think like you, which is important these days. The new career center at GHS is a great add for the district as well, offering fantastic technical skill instruction for various trades and college prep tracks.

I'm biased towards CTMS since I went there, but you really can't go wrong with any of the middle schools. The programs they have set up in the district are created to ensure that all students succeed and are equipped to be 21st century learners.
mbyrd
You're missing the point. I'm not taking shots at Southlake. I have nothing against Southlake. What I'm saying is to deny that the affluence exists and that people have a "we're better than you attitude" is not reality. I never said everyone had this attitude but it does exists. Because this exists I felt it was good to point out to those considering relocating to the area. And yes, the attitude exists in other parts of the general area but in my opinion, based on people I know and my wife knows (and some are friends and some are not), it is more prevalent in Southlake. Again this is not a shot at Southlake and if you take as such then that's for you to deal with, not me. And yes I have told this to the people I know and they agree with me and make no excuses about it. You can take all the shots you want at Keller I really don't give a ***** Where I live doesn't define me. And as far as those events you mentioned I haven't been to any of them and doubt I will ever attend them in the future but appreciate the suggestion. My advice to you is to lighten up a little bit, you seem very high strung and that can cause medical problems in the future.
Grapesoda2525
I live in Fort Worth, but really close to actually being in Keller ( less then a mile away) and I agree with your sentiments. I've lived here for 2 years and I've only been to the town square twice to "spend my money" as that guy says. The first time I went to pick up an iPad that apple sold me because I didn't want them to deliver it to my doorstep and have some guy steal my package. Unfortunately, that is the closest Apple Store. I wish one was closer, but there are only so many I guess. The other time was I wanted to try the Cheesecake Factory and I thought it was good. I've never been to any of those events that the guy listed nor will I ever go. I thought he was demonstrating his southlake arrogance by assuming people who are not residents of southlake will be attending such events.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Good lord, my arrogance at assuming he will attend.... He lives like four miles from the damn place, and he may not have been (which I don't believe) but I gaurantee his family does.

And yes tons of people from other towns come to those events, that's why they exist and make money. The come because they're fun. Same reason I and others go to Grapevine for Grapefest and Roanoke to eat dinner all the time, because it's fun.

This thread has run its course. I think you two need to find better hobbies, your weird hatred / dislike of people for living in Southlake reminds me of petty jr high girls.
Grapesoda2525
You seem to be an insecure guy who jumps all over every comment. Caring what other people think of you must be common where you live.
Ed Carter
AG
Man great point. Those festivals really suck I love how you are sticking it to Southlake by choosing to never attend. Southlake town center, surrounding restaurants, and all the festivals they put on are completely awesome I think so, my wife thinks so, my kids think so, literally every single person I know think so. Quit with your vaginal bleeding please I don't live in Southlake by the way to put in context how weird some of you guys are being
OldAg92
AG
I've lived in the area most of my life. I worked in Southlake for 9 years and like the town just fine. We eat there, shop there and have many friends there. My doctor is in Southlake. All that being said, Southlake has earned the "snobby" reputation.

Kids at Carroll call the grapevine kids "five-ones", referring to the 76051 zip code of Grapevine. When my daughter played club volleyball, she had a few southlake kids on her team. The moms of all these girls had custom shirts made with "76092" (southlake's zip code) blinged on the front, kinda like the 90210 references of old.

In Colorado last year, my boss was skiing and met some folks from Southlake on the slopes. The wife immediately told him they were from "Southlake - everyone's heard of it." My boss, who lives in Highland Park, just smiled and said "Nice to meet you" without announcing where he lived.

As I said earlier, I have no beef with Southlake, but you really can't deny the pretentiousness of the town and many of its people.
aggie_wes
AG
When I was in HS they just called us "Ghetto Grapevine".

I actually have a friend whose parents moved him from southlake to Grapevine b/c he was having issues at school with all the pretentious a-holes.
Grapesoda2525
I'm glad you and your family enjoy the festivals, I really am. I just think a few people are over reacting in this thread because every single person who has referred to Southlake as snobby or pretentious has Prefaced it by saying "southlake is a great place to live" or " you can't go wrong with southlake schools". It's not like we're insulting the place or think any less of it. Some of the people there should just enjoy their success and be more humble that's all.
LoveAussie
AG
OldAg92 said:

I've lived in the area most of my life. I worked in Southlake for 9 years and like the town just fine. We eat there, shop there and have many friends there. My doctor is in Southlake. All that being said, Southlake has earned the "snobby" reputation.

Kids at Carroll call the grapevine kids "five-ones", referring to the 76051 zip code of Grapevine. When my daughter played club volleyball, she had a few southlake kids on her team. The moms of all these girls had custom shirts made with "76092" (southlake's zip code) blinged on the front, kinda like the 90210 references of old.

In Colorado last year, my boss was skiing and met some folks from Southlake on the slopes. The wife immediately told him they were from "Southlake - everyone's heard of it." My boss, who lives in Highland Park, just smiled and said "Nice to meet you" without announcing where he lived.

As I said earlier, I have no beef with Southlake, but you really can't deny the pretentiousness of the town and many of its people.

FYI, since you mentioned Highland Park, people at city-data/dallas forum are bashing Highland Park schools/kids/parents now, in case any of you want to watch...
OldAg92
AG
Too funny. I've playfully bashed the Scots a time or two in my life, no denying it.
Grapesoda2525
I'll have to check it out actually
mbyrd
So it's ok to make fun of HP but you run to your safe space when someone makes an accurate assessment of Southlake? I think that's what we call hypocrisy.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mbyrd said:

So it's ok to make fun of HP but you run to your safe space when someone makes an accurate assessment of Southlake? I think that's what we call hypocrisy.

That's not me, dumbass.
LoveAussie
AG
mbyrd said:

Who said it is ok to make fun of HP? Actually the hilarious part is people bashing HP used the same type argument in this thread, if you replace the "Southlake" in your previous post with "Highland Park" it would be exactly the same!

Now they start hitting on St. Mark and Hockaday! I don't think these people will ever stop!
Grapesoda2525
Hockaday is out of reach for everyday people that is for damn sure.
LoveAussie
AG
Nope it is not, so is St. Mark, that's why I think these schools got bashed so badly... For example, most people on this forum graduated from A&M, if someone opened a thread bashing A&M, many people will stand up to protest.

Pride and prejudice exist in all the places in all different cultures definitely not only in HP, SL, St Mark or Hockaday, I grew up in a third world country, there are always this kind of one side bashing another debate on the internet as urban people vs rural people, men vs women, work-moms vs stay-at-home moms. It is human nature to seek importance of themselves through something...
mbyrd
You're still a whiny ***** 02 but I apologize for the last post.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mbyrd said:

No worries man. I'm sure you're good people. I'll even buy you a beer if interested.
Hincemm
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

mbyrd said:

No worries man. I'm sure you're good people. I'll even buy you a beer if interested.

Gingerman in southlake is a nice little bar...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.