Metroplex
Sponsored by

Schools in Grapevine/Colleyville/Keller

6,500 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Joe Cole
smc05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband is thinking about taking a job in Southlake and I am starting to look at schools in the area. We currently have three elementary age kids. Can anyone tell me which schools to look at in that area? Also, which feeder patterns to look at. TIA
powerbiscuit
I think you'll find most of the school districts in the area are pretty well respected.
Ed Carter
AG
Can't speak to specific elementary schools but generally speaking Southlake and Colleyville schools are fantastic Grapevine and Keller are also good but I would not say they are on the same level. If your budget allows for it, live in Southlake or Colleyville If you pick colleyville make sure you are zoned for Colleyville heritage and not grapevine high IMO
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Your budget will help to narrow your options (or give you all options). As mentioned above, the area in general is very good so I think you'll be pleased.

If you need any specific help regarding D/FW, that's what I do. I own a brokerage here, and I'm a sponsor of TexAgs. Over the years I've helped many Ags with finding the right home.

Shoot me an email if you like and I'd love to help.

Cody
Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
Jeff99
Just as an FYI, you can live in Grapevine and be in the Colleyville Heritage district.
metrag06
AG
Not sure of the advice on going to school in Colleyville vs Grapevine - it's the same school district and kids from both cities will feed into the schools no matter which one you live in.

You can also live in Euless (north of Bear Creek) and be zoned to CHHS. As an alum I'm biased toward CHHS but I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to Grapevine.
OldAg92
AG
FWIW, I had one daughter go through Colleyville Heritage and one is at Grapevine High. Both are fine schools, but I have preferred Grapevine. More 'real world', a little less snobby in general, FANTASTIC current principal, and as another poster said, the kids at both of these schools largely grew up together so one school isn't measurably that much better than the other..

Another great option is Birdville ISD. The really nice part of North Richland Hills (10 min from southlake) feeds into Birdville. Great district
Ed Carter
AG
It's all relative. Grapevine and colleyville heritage are both fantastic schools but I gave my comment based on the fact that heritage has done nothing but gone up in academic rankings and Grapevine has gone back a little. Relative to everything else they're both great schools.

If you're wanting your kids to go to a more real world school, with diversity and perhaps a little more "blue-collar" to it, then grapevine is definitely the way to go. In that regard, heritage is a little "snobbier."

knoxtom
Greatschools rates grapevine higher than heritage

For what that is worth
Ed Carter
AG
So I just looked and US news has heritage ranked 71st And grrapevine 75th For some reason I thought the Delta was bigger than that You can't go wrong with either
Hincemm
AG
Not sure it's in your budget, but there's a part of Keller that's zoned for Carroll
mbyrd
Live in Keller right on border of Southlake. My sons elementary school is ranked a 9 out of 10 (Florence) and they feed into Keller High which is highly ranked as well. You can't go wrong with any of the surrounding school districts. My wife hangs out with many moms who have kids in the Southlake school district and while the education is great the social aspect and competitive nature of everything has many of the moms concerned. Take it for what it's worth as I'm assuming it's similar in most of these districts.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mbyrd said:

Live in Keller right on border of Southlake. My sons elementary school is ranked a 9 out of 10 (Florence) and they feed into Keller High which is highly ranked as well. You can't go wrong with any of the surrounding school districts. My wife hangs out with many moms who have kids in the Southlake school district and while the education is great the social aspect and competitive nature of everything has many of the moms concerned. Take it for what it's worth as I'm assuming it's similar in most of these districts.

My kids go to Carroll and I've literally never heard anyone who lives in Southlake say this.

The only people I've heard complain about the academic and athletic pressure on kids who attend attend Carroll is from people providing their unsolicited opinion of your school district after finding out you live in Southlake.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
But to answer your question OP all those school districts are really good. I also know some people who really like Trophy Club as well. Not sure if their schools would be as good as the three you mentioned though. But it is another option that would be very close to your husbands work.
mbyrd
I'm not trying to say anything negative about Southlake schools as I've not experienced anything related to the school system. That being said my wife has many close friends who have children is Southlake schools from elementary to high school and every one have voiced the same opinion that the schools have serious social and academic challenges. Granted they wouldn't pull their kids out of these schools. They are just expressing their experience that the schools are extremely competitive for better or worse. If you're triggered by these commments I'm assuming you're part of what they are referring too.
mbyrd
Basically lighten the **** up Francis
mbyrd
and my sons elementary school has a Southlake address even though it's Keller ISD so I live amongst the same elitist that you do.
murphyag
AG
I've heard the same thing about Southlake schools from 3 different sets of friends. And all of them have very smart, good looking kids (both boys and girls) who are athletic and well liked. Makes me wonder what it is like for the average Joe or nerdy kids.
powerbiscuit
murphyag said:

I've heard the same thing about Southlake schools from 3 different sets of friends. And all of them have very smart, good looking kids (both boys and girls) who are athletic and well liked. Makes me wonder what it is like for the average Joe or nerdy kids.

It seems the exposure to extreme wealth versus middle class would be the biggest concern. It would seem to put unrealistic pressure to compete. I'm not saying that the people with money are bad or should be ashamed of success, but that its hard for other kids to understand why they can't have the brand new BMW or why they aren't spending a month in Europe for the summer. Sure, all schools will have a few wealthy people, but when a large number have that type of disposable income (again, not that the people are bad or shouldn't live their life) kids will feel the pressure to keep up.

Growing up is hard enough. Sometimes I think growing up a big fish in a little pond might be a better childhood than playing one sport year round for 10 years in hopes of making a varsity team or winning an athletic scholarship.

powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I'm not saying that the people with money are bad or should be ashamed of success, but that its hard for other kids to understand why they can't have the brand new BMW or why they aren't spending a month in Europe for the summer. Sure, all schools will have a few wealthy people, but when a large number have that type of disposable income (again, not that the people are bad or shouldn't live their life) kids will feel the pressure to keep up.
In my experience this is overblown. The pressure to compete with high performing peers is present, but it is not because someone gets a new bmw.
'03ag
Quote:

It seems the exposure to extreme wealth versus middle class would be the biggest concern. It would seem to put unrealistic pressure to compete. I'm not saying that the people with money are bad or should be ashamed of success, but that its hard for other kids to understand why they can't have the brand new BMW or why they aren't spending a month in Europe for the summer. Sure, all schools will have a few wealthy people, but when a large number have that type of disposable income (again, not that the people are bad or shouldn't live their life) kids will feel the pressure to keep up.
I didn't go to Southlake but I definitely went to schools where nearly every family had more money than ours. It was really easy for me to understand why I couldn't have a BMW or spend my summer in Europe. Actually, it was really easy for me to understand why I couldn't have a 3 yr old Corolla or go to summer camps in east texas for a week.
LoveAussie
AG
murphyag said:

I'm sure in Southlake there are many average Joe kids who are not from a extreme wealthy family or whose family taught them to support themselves.

During summer break I got several notes left in my mailbox from local kids in high school stated that they would like to do pet sitting/boarding, lawn mowing, etc. to earn some money. I also saw my neighbors' kids work in the lawn. I didn't do better than them when I was at their ages.

But I agree Southlake is some kind of middle/upper middle class, most people won't go to Europe every summer, but all the families I know had traveled to overseas.
powerbiscuit
powerbelly51 said:

Quote:

I'm not saying that the people with money are bad or should be ashamed of success, but that its hard for other kids to understand why they can't have the brand new BMW or why they aren't spending a month in Europe for the summer. Sure, all schools will have a few wealthy people, but when a large number have that type of disposable income (again, not that the people are bad or shouldn't live their life) kids will feel the pressure to keep up.
In my experience this is overblown. The pressure to compete with high performing peers is present, but it is not because someone gets a new bmw.

I'm not so sure. We are in a nearby district and we even get it from some of our neighbors. Several moms who don't work outside the home comment frequently to my wife about us being able to do things they can't do, and we're not talking about extravagant things.
Hincemm
AG
been in southlake about two years now based on my sister-in-law's experience growing up here. came from mansfield isd and don't regret it one bit.

it's very interesting to see what happens when intelligent, successful parents care about their children....that's right, the kids become successful and intelligent, too. there just happens to be a higher per capita in southlake.

it was a little awkward when our hoa held the annual "show me your w-2" conference, though.

oh well, back to my bubble
powerbelly
AG
powerbiscuit said:

powerbelly51 said:

Quote:

I'm not so sure. We are in a nearby district and we even get it from some of our neighbors. Several moms who don't work outside the home comment frequently to my wife about us being able to do things they can't do, and we're not talking about extravagant things.
I grew up in Highland Park and had classmates with >$100K cars, I had friends that summered in Nantucket, and families that go on shopping trips to Paris. Trust me when I say that kids know why some kids get to do things that others cant.

I could see the SAHM being petty and jealous but kids didn't experience pressure from that.
catfan
Funny, you can pick the best school but then might end up at Arkansas or Tech or Alabama because it's so hard to finish in the top 10%. I'd pick the very best district you can because it should retain home value and while your kids may not be top 10% material (or maybe they are!), they'll be challenged and do well in the future. That's why we picked HP but work nearby in Dallas.
DannyDuberstein
AG

plarmigan
AG
powerbiscuit said:

murphyag said:

Maybe it's changed in recent years but I grew up in Southlake and graduated from Carroll HS (granted it was way back in '99) and experienced none of this. I had friends with really expensive cars that lived in million dollar houses, and friends with crappy cars that lived in small houses. Didn't affect us one way or the other. It was a fantastic place to go to school and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to send my kids to any of the Carroll ISD schools.
'03ag
This stuff is only an issue if the parents project it on to their kids. It's the parents that get insecure if they can't provide the same lifestyle.
Chughes88
AG
Grapevine grad, worked for GCISD for a spell. Amazing district, amazing schools and the Superintendent is an Ag. Go Mustangs.
smc05
Would you say that Grapevine High School is comparable to Colleyville Heritage? Also, are there any middle schools in GCISD to steer away from?
aggie_wes
AG
Grapevine high grad here.

If there's a school to avoid in that district it's grapevine middle.
metrag06
AG
Why's that? I'd pick Grapevine Elementary over 1 or 2 of the others. Did you mean Grapevine Middle?

Yes - I'd say CHHS/GHS are comparable. Several of us on here have managed to graduate from either one, attend TAMU and become quasi-productive members of society.
smc05
Which elementary schools would you avoid?
aggie_wes
AG
Yeah, you're right.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.