Austin
Sponsored by

Good Steak in or around Austin.

4,285 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by austinag1997
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife has asked me to look into a good steak place in or around Austin. We're casual people so we're not looking for fancy or formal so much as good food and a decent atmosphere that isn't loud kids or noisy parties. Any ideas? we work in town but seldom go out there. Thanks!
Martin Cash
AG
Formal dining in Austin means you wear your new flip-flops.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
BurnetAggie99
Some spots that are not Downtown that are laid back.

Carve American Grille
Bartlett's
ALC Steaks
MouthBQ98
AG
Taylor, Bastrop, etc would also be fine. We live a ways east of Austin.
Throwout
AG
If you're looking for the best steaks in Austin, I think Lee's Meat Market has hands down the best steaks. Obviously, you're not going out, you would be making their own, but they're so good. I get a ribeye (inch and a quarter) and filet for my wife and I (have them season them for you), then we split one of her jalapeno twice-baked potatoes (it's well over a pound) and then get one of her other sides. My wife really likes the carrots. Again, if you're looking to go out, it's obviously not the choice, but if you're just wanting to relax at home and make some incredible steaks, you can't beat Lee's.
fig96
AG
Went to Carve fairly recently, food was good but cocktails were underwhelming.
Canyon Lake Agbu94
Throwout said:

If you're looking for the best steaks in Austin, I think Lee's Meat Market has hands down the best steaks. Obviously, you're not going out, you would be making their own, but they're so good. I get a ribeye (inch and a quarter) and filet for my wife and I (have them season them for you), then we split one of her jalapeno twice-baked potatoes (it's well over a pound) and then get one of her other sides. My wife really likes the carrots. Again, if you're looking to go out, it's obviously not the choice, but if you're just wanting to relax at home and make some incredible steaks, you can't beat Lee's.
Never tried this place. What do you think about the K-bobs? Fajita meat?

Usually we do Granzin's but might be willing to make a little drive for some awesomeness.
BurnetAggie99
Another great Meat Market is Thorndale Meat Market in Thorndale TX. Aggie owned by Trey Felton. They have some outstanding meat whatever you need Beef, Pork, Sausage(which is scratch made). Also he cooks/sells BBQ as well.

https://frankfelton.com/
Hanrahan
AG
red ash or j carvers
Throwout
AG
I haven't had her k-bobs, but the fajita meat is great as well. Also, if you're there around lunchtime, her tenderloin sandwich is the best deal in town. If you go and want to spoil yourself, grab a dozen of her Lil Oscars. They're fantastic! If you're feeding a group, her beef tenderloin Easter Special is unreal. Lastly, and I should have mentioned it earlier, don't leave there without buying some of her homemade horseradish sauce. I could literally drink that stuff.
cas8019
AG
Trey graduated from the Air Force Academy not A&M. Although his sister is a professor at A&M.

He is still good people!
Kiss my beans
BurnetAggie99
cas8019 said:

Trey graduated from the Air Force Academy not A&M. Although his sister is a professor at A&M.

He is still good people!
Just assumed he was a Aggie. Always has a A&M shirt on everything is Maroon. The Aggie Band Album is on Loop inside the store. I do know his wife is a Aggie & his kids are attending A&M as she mentioned it last time I was there. Like you said great guy & great family.
cas8019
AG
Nm
Kiss my beans
tripperwill
AG
Bartletts is nice without being stuffy.
Btron
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Carve American Grille
Bartlett's
ALC Steaks
This is the best list for what you're looking for.
HTownAg98
Hanrahan said:

red ash or j carvers
If you can wait three months to get in, then yes. They're steaks are excellent.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, I checked the websites and this list will do. Thanks!
Tejas Ag
AG
It's not cheap and only for special occasions but Jeffrey's is the best steak I've had in Austin and best restaurant I've been to here.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Hanrahan said:

red ash or j carvers
If you can wait three months to get in, then yes. They're steaks are excellent.
Two other options, show up when the doors open and sit at the bar

Call them instead of OpenTable the usually have more options and sometimes a waiting list
Agit8r
AG
Roaring Fork near the Arboretum is a decent place for a steak. Their steaks are large and they don't care if you split one between two people (helps to keep the cost down). Sides are sold separate...and very good.Nice place but not swanky. Nice wine menu, too.
kyledwards
AG
Confirming that Bartlett's is excellent.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Agit8r said:

Roaring Fork near the Arboretum is a decent place for a steak. Their steaks are large and they don't care if you split one between two people (helps to keep the cost down). Sides are sold separate...and very good.Nice place but not swanky. Nice wine menu, too.

Personally don't think it makes top 10 in Austin

And not any cheaper
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ned911
Maybe Steiner Ranch Steakhouse. But frankly I can cook a better steak than anyplace in Austin so I don't go out for steak much.
FTA Class of 1988
BQ78
AG
Perry's downtown and in the Domain is good.
Come Out Roll
AG
fig96 said:

With each visit, I continue to be disappointed more and more.
We've quit going, and haven't been for over a year now….
Come Out Roll
AG
Btron said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Carve American Grille
Bartlett's
ALC Steaks
This is the best list for what you're looking for.

WRONG
See my comment about Carve above….as for ALC, the cuts of the steals are not of the highest quality….
TH36
Bartletts
pablof
Steiner Ranch Steakhouse is the poster child for inconsistency . Has been for years.

Carve seems to get less impressive with each visit. Kinda given up on it.

We like Eddie V's, either location, for good eats and
drinks. Wife is more into the seafood side of the menu and I'm the meat guy!

Perry's and Bob's are great but lean toward the pricier fare. Three Forks ain't bad.
Tobias Funke
AG
Went to ATX Cocina recently and believe it or not, my wife and my dad both said the steak they ordered was one of the best they had ever had. Didn't try it so I can't vouch, but my dad loves steak.

My faves in town are Bob's and Perry's. i think J Carver is overrated but I like some of their other entrees.
Dr T and the Women
AG
Funny you say carvers is overrated

I think they do steak the same way at ATX… same owner

Larry Foles

Dry aged
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
austinag1997
AG
Sounds like everybody agrees on the top list.
Johnny Foosball
AG
The one time i tried Bob's, I was not a fan. Didn't really enjoy any of the things I tried (especially at the price point)

Perry's is usually my go to as it's close to the house and the ribeye is solid. I have been dying to give Jefferey's a try.
MouthBQ98
AG
I actually reserved at Perry's as I am familiar with it and the wife wanted a bit more of a "white table cloth" evening out. It's reliable.
rathAG05
AG
Come Out Roll said:

fig96 said:

I'm with you. It's a cool restaurant with underwhelming steaks.
Dr T and the Women
AG
rathAG05 said:

Come Out Roll said:

fig96 said:

I'm with you. It's a cool restaurant with underwhelming steaks.
to be fair... Carve is the lower end restaurant from Perrys... not sure why it would be considered a go to steakhouse
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.