Austin
Sponsored by

stay safe out there!

12,102 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggietaco
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pics from RR and CP

Elsa came with the smoke

Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
My tree branches are sagging near my car here by Belterra.
Potcake
AG
I thought that house was on fire at first glance.
WestAustinAg
AG
No power
MarathonAg12
WestAustinAg said:

No power
Hopefully y'all get it back soon.

I'm in RR if you need a warm shower and cold beer.
Owen Kellogg
AG
How are the roads around Austin? My mom is supposed to fly out of AUS at 4:45 this afternoon.

It appears the flights that did not get canceled are making it in/out. Just not sure about getting to the airport.
Potcake
AG
Most of the road closures are on north side of town and flyovers. The traffic map around airport looks pretty good. We are hovering around 32 so I don't think the roads are overly bad. It's the ice-covered power lines and broken limbs. Granted, we have more coming today.
HECUBUS
AG
It's raining trees and tree limbs here. Just looking at some limbs that fell in the street and a big limb fell taking out an entire Spanish oak tree on the way down. The driveway is blocked, street blocked, chainsaw chain dull. Going to wait for the thaw indoors. This one is much harder on the trees than the last one.
Tejas Ag
AG
West Austin and have lost so many trees… can't even get out of driveway. For a kid from the panhandle I'm taking it hard
Owen Kellogg
AG
Sorry to hear that.
BurnetAggie99
I work for Austin Energy in our System Engineering department. I've been up since 3AM working on helping with load data/switching. Austin Energy got hit pretty hard. Have about 150k customers out of power. All our crews and contractors are all out there trying to restore outages. I know we have some other utilities sending crews to help us out. Hang in there everyone & stay safe.
rcannaday
AG
SW austin - near william cannon/290 - lots of down trees and limbs - be very careful - looks like home depot will be making a killing on chain saws
MarathonAg12
Outdoor people, what is it about this freeze that broke all these branches? Did the moisture and rain get sucked up by the wood? And when it froze, it's like a big ice knife froze right through the branches?

Or was it the extra weight on weak branches that caused them to fall
Potcake
AG
I'm guessing weight. Would be worse if it happened during the Christmas snap when a lot of trees still had leaves.
The Fall Guy
AG
Leaves had not dropped yet on the live oaks. Time of the year
SteveBott
AG
I'm going weight as well. Just heard my neighbors tree crack. Sickening sound. I've lost a couple of limbs so not bad. I do just order a pole saw from Amazon. Going to need it.
512Ag
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

I work for Austin Energy in our System Engineering department. I've been up since 3AM working on helping with load data/switching. Austin Energy got hit pretty hard. Have about 150k customers out of power. All our crews and contractors are all out there trying to restore outages. I know we have some other utilities sending crews to help us out. Hang in there everyone & stay safe.

Thanks for your hard work. And bless those line crews. My grandfather was a linesman in Houston back in the day. He always said the only thing worse than working through a hurricane was working through ice storms.
BurnetAggie99
Some pics from the field

El_Guero512
I work for the call center and we got the email call center lines staying active all night.
Potcake
AG
Damn, I can't even imagine having to work up on those poles in the cold, wind, and ice. Those folks are tougher than I am.
AgGrad99
AG
I've had three large limbs take a dive. Going to have to replace a section of fence, replace some gutters, etc...but it barely missed my sons car...so I'll take it.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Had a branch fall about 3 feet behind the wife's vehicle. Didn't like the ones over it left. Backed the car up and as soon as I put it in car a branch fell right in front of it. Couldn't have timed that better as it would've landed right on top of it.
Owen Kellogg
BurnetAggie99
Just a heads up another round of ice late tonight/early morning up to 0.3" - 0.5" on top of what's already out there.
MarathonAg12
BurnetAggie99 said:

Just a heads up another round of ice late tonight/early morning up to 0.3" - 0.5" on top of what's already out there.
Say it aint so.....damn

Yeah all my leaves fell off last week. No branches or trees yet.

My neighbors....not so lucky.
jah003
S
Glad we got rid of our Ash trees after the last ice storm. Elms are unbothered. A few Oak limbs are hanging low but haven't lost any yet *knock on wood*
MarathonAg12
Neighbor's house down the street. Someone mention something about "tree rot". Is that what that black stuff is? And it broke off there?
WestAustinAg
AG
I just moved my sons car to get my car in the garage and within 30 seconds this happened.
MarathonAg12
Did you get your power back on?
BurnetAggie99
That stinks. Also if you still out let me know what street & cross street your by. I'll go into our ADMS/Engineering software and see if I can give you at status. We are having IT issues with the AE public outage map/reporting system.
WestAustinAg
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

That stinks. Also if you still out let me know what street & cross street your by. I'll go into our ADMS/Engineering software and see if I can give you at status. We are having IT issues with the AE public outage map/reporting system.

Thanks we got our power back up around 5.
Mookie
AG
I'll bet you live a half mile from me at the most. You across from the cat hollow pool? I'm in oak Brook at O'Connor and Morgan hill.
MarathonAg12
O'Connor and Liberty Drive!
The Dirty Sock
Most of the neighborhood has moved their vehicles to the street. While I was doing the same you can hear the constant popping of trees in the green belt. This s*** is crazy.
MarathonAg12
Yep. The tree pops are crazy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.