Austin
Sponsored by

Is it a waste of time to even try to buy right now?

5,753 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Potcake
barbacoa taco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took a job down in Austin, coming from Dallas. Read the other thread on the housing market and it's depressing. I looked at several homes this weekend and made an offer $45k over asking on a duplex and someone swooped in an hour before the deadline and outbid me. Thought I had it because they wanted a closing date that was way far out that I was okay with. Nope.

I'm looking in south and north Austin. East is just too much. I'm not paying half a million for a run down shack next to a homeless camp.

Is this a waste of time? I don't have California money and can't compete with the tech bros who are moving there by the thousands. I knew a metric f***ton of out of staters were moving there but I didn't know the number has accelerated to astrononical numbers since covid started. I'm early 30s, single, low debt, good credit, FWIW. Office is downtown.
neutics
AG
No doubt it's tough to be a buyer now due to the demand and inventory. Be prepared to go through the offer process a dozen or more times and offer 10% over asking at least. It's nuts. Also you will likely need to pay all closing costs and possibly buy the property as is.

I spent the last two months helping my wife's parents find a place in Round Rock and after about 5-6 offers rejected they were ready to give up on moving from Fort Worth. By some miracle my wife found them the perfect home through a private transaction and they paid a very fair price and seller paid no commissions which worked out well for both parties and kept the home out of a bidding war.

How's the market up there compared to here?
AgSoccer2007
AG
I live in 78729, moving to georgetown soon. Finishing up a new custom home out there.

If you want to chat about buying it off the open market, we are open to that. 3 bed, 2.5 bath. 2600 sqft plus a connected air conditioned office off the garage. On a culdesac.

If you want more info I can put you in touch with my agent.

Unfortunately we intend to get full market price on it, but we have no problem selling to someone before we list it.

Send me a PM if you want to talk
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't live in town. I live 40 miles East on 10 acres of my own, and can still drive in in 50 minutes provided I am not foolish enough to try it at 7:30am or 4:30pm.

I only go to the city a couple of days a week and work from home the rest of the time. No reason to drop 3/4 of a million on a crappy house near town when half that will buy you a nice place on lots of space outside one of the outlying small towns.
sir charles
AgSoccer,

Don't have the option to PM, but can you email me more info please? We are looking to make a move soon and love the Milwood/Rattan Creek area. Thanks! chuckbr24 AT g mail DOT c o m
Aust Ag
AG
Things are crazy right now, I am hearing homes have multiple offers first day.

I think I would just get an apt downtown right now. Rates are lower than than they were this time last year, but starting to climb due to the NY/Cali people being told they can work from wherever they want...so they head here.

Do a 6 mo lease, and see how you like it. Also, there a couple of condo towers that will be ready in '21, so you might consider buying a 2 BDM in one. If I was single, and in my 30s...heck yeah, downtown Austin it is!
barbacoa taco
AG
Well, I will be WFH for at least a while but will likely go back in regularly once covid is over. but yes I totally agree with that sentiment
barbacoa taco
AG
Aust Ag said:

Things are crazy right now, I am hearing homes have multiple offers first day.

I think I would just get an apt downtown right now. Rates are lower than than they were this time last year, but starting to climb due to the NY/Cali people being told they can work from wherever they want...so they head here.

Do a 6 mo lease, and see how you like it. Also, there a couple of condo towers that will be ready in '21, so you might consider buying a 2 BDM in one. If I was single, and in my 30s...heck yeah, downtown Austin it is!
Fair enough. I'm just sick of apartments. Been living in them for years. I also want a dog and it's so much easier to own one when you have a place with a yard. Also tired of renting and I feel like owning property in Austin is just about guaranteed to be a good investment. But if i'm forced to do it then so be it I guess. I knew lots of Californians moved to Austin regularly but I severely underestimated the staggering numbers by which they are coming and outbidding the hell out of everyone.
Tobias Funke
AG
It'll just take some patience and perseverance. I looked consistently for a solid 3 months before making an offer on a place in 78704 and it was accepted pretty much immediately. Insane market tho!
SteveBott
AG
Also remember this is the slowest time of the year for RE. Just not a lot inventory. Listing start going up early March and peak in June./July. Let the market come to you a bit.
wargograw
We were looking over the summer and it became obvious that building was the way to go. We built at Wild Horse Ranch on the Austin edge of Manor. Price on our floor plan's already gone up 30k. But if you can wait 6 months, building is probably the best option.

Existing homes had a dozen offers before we could even look at it online.
Bob_Ag
AG
Just be prepared pony up cash and sign an appraisal waiver.
Potcake
AG
I am here to solve problems. Bring buyers and sellers together.
https://texags.com/forums/36/topics/3131946
MaroonSpirit
AG
My neighbor is planning on selling in early summer. I would love an Aggie on the street. Nice cul-de-sac in a quiet neighborhood.
Everyone in the circle has been here for a very long time. No turnover until him leaving.
Leander - Ag
AG
House on our street hit the market yesterday. There has been a line of people in front for two days to see it.
fig96
AG
wargograw said:

We were looking over the summer and it became obvious that building was the way to go. We built at Wild Horse Ranch on the Austin edge of Manor. Price on our floor plan's already gone up 30k. But if you can wait 6 months, building is probably the best option.

Existing homes had a dozen offers before we could even look at it online.
We're currently in Cedar Park but thinking about a bigger place, and right now building in a new development (looking right in-between RR and CP) seems like it might be the best option.
2012Ag
AG
Definitely crazy market.

Wife and I finally had an offer accepted after many other rejected ones. Found a place in Cedar Park which also had multiple offers but the seller really liked the letter my wife wrote, I was shocked it helped honestly lol.

I work downtown and Cedar Park was initially too far for me but my job may begin exploring WFH options after covid. Plus for the space and yard we wanted we'd have to pay near a million in the city.
Mookie
AG
Even lots are being bought without picking out a floor plan.

There was a house in cat hollow priced under $400k a few weeks back that made the rounds on the MLS/REALTOR FB pages for the line around the block to show it. Posted today in the MLS when it closed, $170k over asking and 120 offers.
SteveBott
AG
I posted this on RE yesterday.

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/01262021_case_shiller_fhfa_home_prices.asp
Aggieangler93
AG
I can't believe anyone would move to Seattle with all the political unrest there. Do these numbers include the timeframe that all that crap was going on there?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
SteveBott
AG
Pretty sure yes it does. What most people don't understand is the protests there and Portland are fairly contained to a small area.
Aggieangler93
AG
I just see it as a government unwilling to protect it's citizens. The only thing keeping the rest of the citizens safe, is that the thugs didn't pick their block? Anyway, not the political forum, sorry to derail.

I am also located near Cat Hollow, and I am tempted to sell my 4/2 2 story, just because it has probably more than doubled in value in the 10 years I have owned it, but I need another year to get my kid out of HS. I have considered selling now and renting, but I would imagine renting is horrid price-wise in RR also.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aust Ag
AG
Rent a large apartment near the school for year, then you're outta there with a big chunk of cash.
Bob_Ag
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I just see it as a government unwilling to protect it's citizens. The only thing keeping the rest of the citizens safe, is that the thugs didn't pick their block? Anyway, not the political forum, sorry to derail.

I am also located near Cat Hollow, and I am tempted to sell my 4/2 2 story, just because it has probably more than doubled in value in the 10 years I have owned it, but I need another year to get my kid out of HS. I have considered selling now and renting, but I would imagine renting is horrid price-wise in RR also.

Rents are high right now as well. A lot of people moving here with no inventory and forced to rent.
beastinBQ
AG
Liberty Hill - 7 miles to the rail, that goes downtown. Great schools, 2ac lots, 2500sf ~ 350-400K
stardustag
AG
Since you just moved here, you might as well rent first and figure out what neighborhood may best suit you... then hone in on that area and be patient. Last thing you want is to just bid whatever you can find and be unhappy about it and having to turn around and do it over again.

Just know that traffic sucks, so it's nice to be able to not have to sit in traffic everyday.
expresswrittenconsent
Political unrest in Seattle.
wadd96
AG
Yes. It's a s**tshow from a buyer's market. That's one reason we're not even considering buying here but instead focusing on building in Milan County.

Did I mention that I hate Travesty County?
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
barbacoa taco
AG
stardustag said:

Since you just moved here, you might as well rent first and figure out what neighborhood may best suit you... then hone in on that area and be patient. Last thing you want is to just bid whatever you can find and be unhappy about it and having to turn around and do it over again.

Just know that traffic sucks, so it's nice to be able to not have to sit in traffic everyday.
I havent moved yet. People have suggested that I rent first but what really concerns me is how insane the market is and how it's really not showing any signs of slowing down. Who knows, a 400k house could be 450k in a few months.

Hopefully some of these tech companies going to permanent WFH will help alleviate traffic, even after covid is over
Aust Ag
AG
Traffic, I don't think, will ever be quite as bad during rush hours. But traffic around the house in afternoon and weekends is as bad as it ever was. Nobody is "staying home", they're running their normal errands, going to get a bite to eat, etc.
tailgatetimer10
AG
houses listing for 400 right now are already selling for beyond 450k. Things are insane right now.
cas8019
AG
Hey Wadd96 curious where your building in Milam county. Do you commute into Austin? thx
wadd96
AG
Our place is 6 miles south of Thorndale. We're planning to start building soon, but I'm currently between jobs. Indo plan to commute/WFH. Its only 35 minutes to Round Rock.
cas8019
AG
Nice. I grew up in T-dale. Looking to buy some land in the area 5-10 ac and move back. not much available to choose from right now.
wadd96
AG
We've got 111 acres at CR 454 and FM 486.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.