Austin
Sponsored by

Went to The Switch near Dripping yesterday

4,915 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wadd96
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disappointed.

Stiles Switch in North Austin has a good atmosphere to eat BBQ and drink a beer. Overall good BBQ and you get a koozee if you wear anything A&M.

Went to The Switch and totally different environment. BBQ served off a menu. Chicken was tough, grits were dried out. Basically BBQ for Californians wanting to be Texan by eating BBQ.

Glad I live 15 minutes from Lockhart and San Marcos. He'll the Salt Lick is better than The Switch. And that says a lot.
Aggietaco
AG
Was there last night as well. Had the brisket enchiladas that were ok. Rib had the sliced sandwich and the brisket was good. Fries were seasoned well, hush puppies had a good amount of japs in them, and the special $5 margaritas were great. The environment was definitely in stark contrast to their Lamar location, but we enjoyed it and thought the place looked nice. We'd be more likely to end up at hat Creek or pieous if we were in the area again though.
expresswrittenconsent
Stiles Switch isnt very good despite the "OMG, AGGIE OWNED, YALL" buzz on texags.
It's far below the top tier austin places like franklin/LaBBQ etc. If you want Aggie BBQ that is top tier you gotta go to Lexington.
Federale01
AG
I don't think the buzz is just from texags. It consistently ranks pretty high on top BBQ lists, including Texas Monthly.
OregonAggie
AG
Federale01 said:

I don't think the buzz is just from texags. It consistently ranks pretty high on top BBQ lists, including Texas Monthly.

I've never understood why it's held in such high regard as well and I think the Switch is worse than the original location. The brunch at the Switch is really good and that's the only time we go out there.
expresswrittenconsent
Federale01 said:

You're probably right but the few times I've been there it was below Rudy's quality. I dont say that as a knock on Rudys, either, I just kind of have Rudy's as the bar since there are 8million locations.
It didnt help that the most recent experience was a work lunch on a monday or tuesday from Stiles after picking up LaBarbecue for sunday lunch with my in laws.
fig96
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Federale01 said:

You're probably right but the few times I've been there it was below Rudy's quality. I dont say that as a knock on Rudys, either, I just kind of have Rudy's as the bar since there are 8million locations.
It didnt help that the most recent experience was a work lunch on a monday or tuesday from Stiles after picking up LaBarbecue for sunday lunch with my in laws.
Might have been when you went, while it's definitely not Franklins it's also definitely not Rudy's. Good place to go when you want solid BBQ but don't want to wait in a crazy line.
Oryx
Is that place in 290 West good?

I've heard pretty highly of them.
wadd96
AG
I know the pitmasters/owners at both locations (and out in Lexington since that was brought up...) The Switch definitely is tending to a different audience... they way Shane explained the audience at Dripping is a bunch of Californians that aren't used to ordering "market style BBQ" and instead want a sit down environment. On the other hand, both Styles Switch and Snow's (and Franklin for that matter) are "market style."

I've eaten at both locations several times. I generally prefer Styles Switch to The Swtich, but the brunch stuff they are doing in Dripping works for me.

Is Style Switch on par with Franklins? Probably not. But that's like asking if a restaurant is on par with French Laundry. How can every place be on par with the best in the business? That being said, I think Styles Switch offers a really good product. The Switch is growing, and growing up.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

probably not

lol
But drop French laundry uncomparable Franklins from the discussion. SS isnt close to as good as LaBarbecue, or City Market in Luling, or Smittys in Lockhart or Snows in Lexington.
The choc/banana pudding is pretty rad, though.
fig96
AG

Quote:

probably not

lol
But drop French laundry uncomparable Franklins from the discussion. SS isnt close to as good as LaBarbecue, or City Market in Luling, or Smittys in Lockhart or Snows in Lexington.
No one is saying it is, those are all recognized as some of the best BBQ in the state.
wadd96
AG

Quote:

probably not

lol
TBH, I wouldn't put City Market or Smitty's in the Top 50 these days... But that's my taste opinion...
rather be fishing
AG
Kreuz is the only place in Lockhart that's any good.
JCRiley09
AG
Ditto everything wadd96 said.

Some of you have to be joking comparing the switch or styles switch to Rudy's or even city market. I can understand a place not living up to the hype (that's your opinion), but damn. I ate at a ton of top 50/top 25 bbq spots this summer and the Switch brisket enchilada was one of the best non traditional bbq bites I had, and the pork ribs were the best I had anywhere.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Switch is trying to hard for that suburban crowd. I didn't like Stiles the first time I went but it improves every Time. It's better than anything in Lockhart, and certainly better than Rudy's. But Rudy's is good chain bbq. Lockhart ain't what it used to be or the BBQ game is just better than it used to be. Stiles isn't Franklin, Snows, or La but you can get BBQ all day everyday with less than 15 minute wait. I didn't even know it was Aggie owned until a few weeks ago.

TM has it on the top 10 and I'd guess the lost points for being Aggie owned
wadd96
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

TM has it on the top 10 and I'd guess the lost points for being Aggie owned

Incorrect. In the Austin area, Franklin (1), Louie Mueller (5,) and Micklethwaite (8) were the only Top 10 joints in 2017. Styles was solidly in the Top 50, but not the Top 10.
SteveBott
AG
I get the beef rib at Styles. Nothing else. But he ribs are fantastic
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You are right, I thought it made top 10 for some reason, either way my other comments stand
MosesHallRAB04
AG
SteveBott said:

I get the beef rib at Styles. Nothing else. But he ribs are fantastic

I think styles has the best beef rib in town
wadd96
AG
What else do you need but a beef ribs? Them damn things are yyyyuuuuggggeeeee!
SteveBott
AG
Friend recommended them and I go in and ask to see one so I know how many to buy. The server pulls one out and I just laugh and tell him one will do. Solid half pounder
wadd96
AG
Half pounder? Did they cut one in half? On average those things at 1 1/2 - 2 pounds...
OregonAggie
AG
Do you think Micklethwait should be Top 10? Last purple times I've gone I've felt like the bark lacked snap and the brisket wasn't really that smoky. The meat was as tender as I've ever had though.
SteveBott
AG
Sorry I mean net amount of meat not including the bone. With bone over a pound easy
wadd96
AG
I think at the time the list was released, they probably were in the top 10. I would not say that they have slipped, however there are many places now that have just up the game. I would fully expect to see Valentina's in the next top 10 as well as Evie Mae's near Lubbock. Maybe also Brett's out in Rockdale. Just based on what they're doing now.

It's been about a year and a half since I've eaten at Micklethwaite's other than at the Golf Tournament. I have not tripped out to Smithville to try Tom's new place.
Hudson2508
AG
Geez, Rudy's is so far below Stiles in quality and it's not even close. Stiles isn't in the top tier but it's damn good BBQ you don't have to wait in line for. We eat there as a family regularly.
Aggietaco
AG
In this thread: my opinion is more valid than yours.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That literally what food discussion is my opinion vs your opinion, with maybe critics or lists to back it up.
wadd96
AG
Exactly. And I'm also sure that there isn't a single critic or list that would put Rudy's in the same sentence with Styles or The Switch. Hell, if that's the case, might as well include Bill Miller's...
fig96
AG
Man, my BIL lives in San Antonio and Bill Miller's is everywhere. And I'm like, I know y'all know good texmex...can't figure out what good BBQ should be like?
wadd96
AG
I grew up in SA... We ate Bill Miller's rather than McDonald's.

Our football pregame was a brisket po-boy, sauce on the side, and a baked potato, butter and sour cream only. Salt and bog ol' potassium pills.

To this day, I still dig their sausage po-boy and hash browns... and the vinegar only slaw.

But I don't dare to try to compare it to say, 2M or Two Brothers...
SteveBott
AG
I only go Miller for fried chicken. Pretty good serving. But that it and maybe once a year.
wadd96
AG
Their carne guisada breakfast tacos aren't terrible...
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Style Switch has the most boring brisket rub ever. The meat is ok, but horribly under seasoned.
KT 90
AG
Aggietaco said:

In this thread: my opinion is more valid than yours.

Correct. BBQ snobs are worse than beer snobs

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.