Austin
Sponsored by

Franklins Advice?

4,168 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've lived her 8 years and have never been. Have a few weeks off. What time and day is best to avoid the lines? Thanks.
NoneGiven
AG
Call ahead and take it to go. Not worth waiting in line that long.
monkeyboy2
Go on a weekday. Show up at 10:00. Ribs are the best I've ever had. Brisket is 1b to Snow's 1a.

Two saturdays ago I showed up at 8:55, thinking I'd be one of the first people in line. There were *25* people in line already. I suspect it was because of the comedy festival that weekend, but I have no way of confirming.

I skipped it and went down to Luling instead.
Frisco - Ag
AG
Go to la barbecue. It's better. The world will find out soon enough.
AggieOO
it could be the greatest bbq on the planet and i wouldn't wait in line. Its Texas, you could go to the second or third best and not wait in line. It would still be amazing bbq.

granted, i'm impatient, but i don't understand people waiting in line for hours for bbq. There's great bbq all over the place with little/no wait.
CapCityAg09
We ordered a day ahead of time for the office for pickup, you have to order a min $100.

One of the ladies in the office who has waited in line and ate it there said it is a little better when served there.
ILuvAgLand
quote:

I hope this is a joke
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

No its not, and they have a pretty lengthy line as well.

Franklins is a tough call for me. I can honestly say, it is that good... but nothing is worth waiting for in a line like that. I really wish they'd open a second location or expand or something. They have already built up their reputation enough, it's not gonna hurt their cred to be able to produce more bbq. It's really starting to get annoying.

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 5/9/2013 10:52a).]
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks to all. I'm impatient as well and hate lines, but I think it's just one of those things that I have to try once...then never again. Thanks again.
AustinAgChef
Just be sure to get extra to-go when you make the trip down there so that you can bring some back to me.

Thanks in advance pal.
ILuvAgLand
Check out j muellers as well
TxAgg07
AG
I think they've said they want to expand but are having issues with the city.
Frisco - Ag
AG
Luv,

Go to la barbecue and check back. You will learn.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Show up at 1 PM, no line, get the scraps, win.
rather be fishing
AG
AgChef,
I've considered putting a CraigsList ad up to have some dumbass t-sip student go stand in line for me in order for me to finally try their BBQ. There's no way in hell I'd actually stand in line for 2 hours just to have meat I can cook in my backyard. Let me know if you're interested, we can go in on it together.
NoneGiven
AG
Sounds like there are enough people here to consume $100 worth of Franklin. Group order and pick it up.
CDub06
AG
It's worth the wait. Suck it up and wait in line just to check the experience off your list.

And La Barbeque is excellent as well.
12thAngryMan
AG
As some have mentioned above, you have to treat it as an "experience" rather than as a meal. I would never eat there on a regular basis because it's pricey and obviously the wait is way too long. That being said, Franklin is head and shoulders above any other BBQ joint I have tried, and that list includes all of the Lockhart places, Luling City Market, Giddings City Market, Salt Lick, Fargo's, etc.

FYI, the Franklin standouts for me were the brisket and ribs. Also, they let me sample a burnt end or two while I was in line close to the counter, so you might try asking if you like them. They have fans/misters going outside if it gets too hot, but the regulars bring a lawn chair and ice chest. I think we got there around 9:30 on a Saturday and there were at least 50 people in line in front of us. Ended up eating around 12:30, IIRC.

[This message has been edited by 12thAngryMan (edited 5/10/2013 3:26p).]
NoneGiven
AG
3 hours in line for BBQ is just flat out crazy. I do not see how it is worth that.
Aust Ag
AG
I agree with the 1:00 suggestion....I did it twice and got fed, maybe 20 minute wait.

Stiles-Switch, on the other hand, I went to a week or so ago at 1:15 and there was hardly anyone there. Almost empty. That will be my go-to in the future.
NoneGiven
AG
Has Stiles Switch improved since opening? I gave them a shot early and wasn't impressed, but I can walk there so may have to give it another shot
Frisco - Ag
AG
Stiles switch is very good. Esp ribs.
tiger08
Its Aggie owned, and easy to get to for me so I keep going to SS. But all and all, I don't find it to be great. I went there about a week ago and there was little smoke ring on my brisket and even the crust of the meat had little flavor. I find Stiles' BBQ to need the sauce and I am not a fan of their sauce/soup. Also, the sausage casing didn't have the crispness I like with a good smoked sausage.

I do like their ribs however. Again, its close so I will keep it on the rotation in hopes it changes a few things here and there.

[This message has been edited by tiger08 (edited 5/13/2013 11:53a).]
defroach
If you have a date you want to go, email them and ask if you can order ahead. Usually, calling the day before will not work. They have a 5lb minimum for the pre-orders.

So basically, shoot them an email with a couple of days that work, they will let you know where they have pre-orders still available, and then let them know what you want to order. You show up at 10:45 and cut to the front of the line, piss off the people that have been standing there for 3 hours, and walk out with brisket. All while the front people in line have a disgusted look on their face (as well as saying you can't go in yet, they aren't open).

Trust me, it brought a smile to my face. They had no idea you could pre order.
NoneGiven
AG
But you missed out on the experience!
Potcake
AG
We live in Brentwood and have and have sworn off Stiles. We tried the Pit the other night and it wasn't bad. I'm not placimg them with Louie Mueller's or Luling but I've had worse, I'm looking at you Hard Eight (Stephenville)
NoneGiven
AG
Only thing good at hard eight is that cornbread salad
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Only thing good at hard eight is that cornbread salad

And their jalapeno cheese sourdough bun. Other than that, mediocre BBQ that charges one helluva premium. The place that replaced the Brady location is actually better now based on my one time visit.
JT88
AG
Monkeyboy speaks the truth -

Snows 1a
Franklins 1b.

Drive to Snows or wait in line for Franklins. Your choice.

Best is heading to Aggieland for Saturday afternoon game and stopping by Snows early.
agcrock2005
AG
I have been to Snow's and that is some legit BBQ. Best brisket I've had, yet I haven't tried Franklin's yet. Thinking about next Tuesday. Thanks for the advice.
CDub06
AG
Through my BBQ Adventures, my top 4 as as follows:

1. Snow's Barbeque
2. Franklin Barbecue
3. Louie Mueller Barbecue
4. Kreuz Market

These 4 are just on another level from anything else I've had.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Drive to Snows or wait in line for Franklins. Your choice.

One of these options has air conditioning.
agcrock2005
AG
CDUB, I like your top 3, but I would put Smitty's as tops in Lockhart.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
quote:
Best is heading to Aggieland for Saturday afternoon game and stopping by Snows early.
gobias
AG
Just go on Monday. There's never a line.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.