Austin
Sponsored by

Franklins Advice?

4,166 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's funny because they are closed on Mondays
salmon99
AG
Franklins is worth it. There is a reason they are #1 on TM top 50. John Lewis (La BBQ) cut his chops with Franklin (and a little Jmueller). Aaron is also a great guy so I'll support him whenever I can.

Last year at the TMBQ fest, it was no competition between Snows and Franklins(Granted Aaron had home field).

As for Styles, they are hit and miss, but are by far the best joint up north. I think they are at a disadvantage brisket wise as they stay open all day unlike La, Franklins, Jmueller. Their brisket often is dry or isn't smoked long enough due to variations in demand. However, when you get a good day, their bbq is right below the top tier.

NoneGiven
AG
Aaron always comes across as a hipster ***** on tv.

See has stance on temperature controllers. Troglodyte.
AJ02
AG
It ticks me off how crowded Franklin's is now. I wish it was still in that trailer before everyone knew about it. You could actually go there for lunch & make it back to work in an hour. And now look at it.

Damn you, Texas Monthly!!!
JMH
AG
Just ate Stiles Switch today for the first time. Walked in quarter till five and place was empty, which is what I was hoping for. Ate brisket lean and moist with some burnt ends. Good with or without sauce. The sauce didn't over power any meat taste, good thing. Sausage casing was funny to me like mentioned above. I think u can get it dry though. Turkey breast for kids was fine also. I'll try the beef ribs next time. Really glad Shane keeps craft beer on tap, Live Oak, Austin, Firestone Walker, and 512 I think. The selections might rotate. I'll be back.
I'll be hitting up all these TMBBQ50 joints in central Texas.
gsp_hunt
Mueller Meat Co. at 2500 E 6th St.
phatbc
Franklin is still tops

Mueller is great as well
jt2hunt
AG
La BBQ is good, not great. It is different.
Frisco - Ag
AG
La
monkeyboy2
I hit la Barbeque last Friday with a co-worker. It was fantastic. Brisket style was very much from the Franklin mold - super moist and tender. Most of the fat had rendered, so I'm assuming they're cooking it a lot longer than most places.

Ribs were also very good. Not as good as Franklin, but really, who is?

The sausage was just okay. At $3.25 a link, I won't be getting that again (for comparison, I think Luling is around $1.75-$2.00/link, and is far superior).

I'm going to head back soon and give the beef ribs a shot.

Easily the second best bbq place I've been in Austin.

-----------------

BTW, to whomever called Aaron Franklin a ******, one of the best parts of the Franklin's experience is chatting with him as he serves you. He comes across as really down to earth, and he seems interested in all these people who've come to eat his food.

J Mueller, on the other hand, comes across in person as a total a-hole. Like he's doing you a favor by selling you some BBQ. F that guy.

[This message has been edited by monkeyboy2 (edited 5/28/2013 7:03p).]
CDub06
AG
Soup Nazi is a valid comparison for John Mueller
NoneGiven
AG
Mueller is an act and amusing.

Franklin calling himself a fire builder is about as ******y as one could be.

http://blog.zagat.com/2013/04/a-chat-with-aaron-franklin-of-franklin.html
Science is bad!!!! His hardcore stance on this is stupid. This is like the guy the rejects sous vide as cheating to get moist meat.

[This message has been edited by NoneGiven (edited 5/29/2013 10:49p).]
CDub06
AG
I read through that fairly quickly. What is it that upsets you about the interview?
TPS_Report
AG
I still haven't tried Franklin's. Hipsters irk me and I hate waiting, but I also love brisket and ribs. The tug-o-war within continues.

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange.
JMH
AG
I'm thinking when I finally do try Franklin's it will be a special occasion and will do the pre-order and get 5 lbs or whatever. And shouldn't we give him points/credit for being from Bryan?

NoneGiven
AG
quote:
I read through that fairly quickly. What is it that upsets you about the interview?

It doesn't upset me, I just think it is dumb.

"Really it comes down to patience. If you’re trying to cook something that requires being on fire—you’ve got wood, you’ve got meat, you’ve got salt and pepper—don’t take the shortcut and go get a little propane this or don’t get an electronic gadget to control that.

If you’re going to make barbecue, then make barbecue. You can’t expect to get a pellet cooker and make something that tastes as good. You’ve gotta put in the time. If you’re like, “Oh, I’m going to sleep for four hours,” then just know it might not be as good."

I'll take my stoker and 4 hours of sleep
Tyrone Shoelaces
AG
quote:
but i don't understand people waiting in line for hours for bbq. There's great bbq all over the place with little/no wait.

This.

I've been to Franklin's and it's very good, but I won't go back until the long wait is solved, if ever.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
"Really it comes down to patience. If you’re trying to cook something that requires being on fire—you’ve got wood, you’ve got meat, you’ve got salt and pepper—don’t take the shortcut and go get a little propane this or don’t get an electronic gadget to control that.

If you’re going to make barbecue, then make barbecue. You can’t expect to get a pellet cooker and make something that tastes as good. You’ve gotta put in the time. If you’re like, “Oh, I’m going to sleep for four hours,” then just know it might not be as good."

Sounds pretty awesome and correct to me. I don't see anything arrogant or wrong about this quote.
NoneGiven
AG
How exactly does having a temperature controller impact the flavor of the meat?!

That is like the purist arguments about foiling.

[This message has been edited by NoneGiven (edited 5/30/2013 4:25p).]
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
How exactly does having a temperature controller impact the flavor of the meat?!

It won't impact the flavor, but it impacts your manhood status.
NoneGiven
AG
Sleep is so womanly.

I assume you think foiling is for ladies as well. May as well just braise it in the oven, right?

[This message has been edited by nonegiven (edited 5/30/2013 10:12p).]
agcrock2005
AG
Cook hot dogs instead. Takes less time.
NoneGiven
AG
So you'd tell Franklin that he shouldn't be wrapping his briskets in butcher paper half way through his cooks for fear of people confusing him for a woman? Got it.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
So you'd tell Franklin that he shouldn't be wrapping his briskets in butcher paper half way through his cooks for fear of people confusing him for a woman? Got it.

You got this off of me telling you to cook hot dogs? You should be a journalist!
NoneGiven
AG
Got any other stellar tips on how to be more manly?
gsp_hunt
Last time I went to Mueller's on a weekend, he was handing out free beer and bloody mary's to people in line. Thought that was pretty cool.
BurnetAg
had office event catered by Franklins and it was darned good.
Hudson2508
AG
Finally broke down and went this morning since my weekend was pretty open. Showed up at 8 and was probably #25 in line. Took a book and read while I waited. Doors opened at 11 and I was ordering my food at 11:45. Hands down the best brisket I've ever tasted. I probably would have waited even longer for something this good. You have to try it once. It was also cool that Franklin sits at the register and chats with every customer.

I don't understand how he does it, but it surpassed the hype in my mind.
agcrock2005
AG
Holy **** that was good!

Finally went. We showed up this morning at 9:45 and were around 100th in line. For those who have not gone, the "experience" everyone talks about is legit. It was not boring at all. The customer service was incredible. They often came out to chat and tell you to drink water. They were selling beer and handed out samples around 11:30. We ended up getting our food at 12:40 making the wait about 3 hours.

The brisket was amazing, just like I thought it would be. Very impressive to get that flavor with just S&P. I put that in a tie with Snow's for my favorite brisket. The ribs however, shocked me. They were the best ribs I've ever had. I went with a professional chef and he even mentioned something about "he's got to be hiding something" because the flavors are incredible for only having S&P and smoke. He has 3 different sauces too that are all very unique and tasty.

I went into this thinking I'll do the "experience" once and never again, but now I think I'll be back for more, but with a bigger group, some chairs and a cooler full of beer. Great time and awesome food.
CDub06
AustinAgChef
I'm the one that went with agcrock and what he said is spot on!

I'll preface this by saying that any of you on this thread that think it's ridiculous to go stand in line for that long or that "I can make the same in my backyard" don't have a clue what you're talking about. I know food pretty damn well and I can make some damn good bbq and the wait was worth it and then some.

As was already mentioned, the "experience" alone was worth it. Just a bunch of good 'ole folks from all around standing in line, drinking cold beer and shooting the ****. It was a fun time and made the wait go by fairly quickly.

Now about the bbq...the brisket was amazing and the best I've ever had and I make a pretty mean brisket. The ribs....again, best I've ever had. They gave us a sample of the sausage while standing in line and it was tasty although they don't make it themselves. I didn't try the pulled pork or the turkey but did see some of the turkey being sliced and it looked amazing. I tired the beans which were great and the potato salad which I really enjoyed as well. It was a mustard potato salad that was more of a mashed potato with chunks of potatoes. I particularly enjoyed it because it brought me back to my childhood of what my grandmother used to make when I was growing up.

Overall....wow, what an experience and definitely something that I recommend doing at least once although once you go you'll be wanting to go back for more. So to all the naysayers, I suggest not knocking it until you try it for yourself.
AustinAgChef
quote:
I still haven't tried Franklin's. Hipsters irk me and I hate waiting, but I also love brisket and ribs. The tug-o-war within continues.

How about you try going for the experience and see for yourself what it's like before making stupid judgments like this. It wasn't full of "hipsters" at all.

[This message has been edited by AustinAgChef (edited 6/4/2013 2:28p).]
Hudson2508
AG
Just ate the last of my leftovers, I made two of the best sandwiches of my life. Fresh baked buns toasted in butter, some of the fatty brisket, a few homemade pickles and a little of the espresso sauce. Dear God. The pulled pork was amazing as well. I told myself this was a one time thing but I'll be back.
Aggie09Derek
AG
When I go i usually get the 2 meat plate and ask them if I can sample 3 and they always have let me (Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ribs).

Someone I was with one time got Turkey as one of their meats and it was phenomenal as well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.