Aggieland
Sponsored by

2026 College Station City Council Elections

24,844 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Hornbeck
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
lwd78 said:

Let's wait and see how he votes on Thursday, shall we? All I know is that it was Yancy who stood up for all of us against the Data Center, and that carries a lot of weight with me.

I completely agree. That carries a whole lot of weight.
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Koko Chingo said:

You said it better than he did. Those of us who even pay a little attention to the mayor and council knows that Bob Yancy is a champion for police and fire. So much so that he cannot give his opinion on flock cameras. He is doing the math to see if he can scratch the police chiefs back and still get the votes from us flock haters.

He is the favorite because we don't know a lot of his opposition. All I really know is that she is a really nice lady who would drive the bus for the Consol Boys varsity soccer team. I don't know her current stance on Flock cameras, growth, etc.

What worries me is that he answers with a politicians response using a lot of words, none of which addressed the issue.

So the goal is to make CSFD a destination employer?

With his record it should have been an easy base hit just saying he has always been and will always support our fire department.

Last election fireman were in the parking lot of the polling place to gather signatures to reform everything from pay, promotion, hiring, basically everything related to a payroll and HR functions. That's a terrible look and a loud cry directly from our firefighters.

What a weird non-answer




I am a champion of police and fire. Always will be.

My opponent is a nice person. I served with Elizabeth and like her a lot.

Firefighters were petitioning for the right to organize. The law gives them that right and I signed their petition.

Is that succinct and direct and non-political enough? Sorry I do communicate a lot.

Respectfully

Yancy '95
zigag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I don't look at it as "jumping on the bandwagon".

He listened and changed his mind.

I RARELY give politicians credit for that.
EriktheRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
why don't you go back and see how "the word got out"

Yancy was far from jumping on the bandwagon
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?


That's not accurate. At all.

Respectfully

Yancy '95
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stupe said:

I don't look at it as "jumping on the bandwagon".

He listened and changed his mind.

I RARELY give politicians credit for that.


I never changed my mind. My position was consistent.

Respectfully

Yancy '95
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[You can certainly make your counter points to other users posts. Please do not make "agenda" accusations against the users as you make your points. All users need to keep rhetoric respecful here. Thanks. -Staff]
lwd78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you need a better source. First, our City Manager signed an NDA, binding the Council to secrecy, before telling them about this. That in and of itself is a huge issue for me.
The agenda comes out on the Friday afternoon before the Council meeting the following Thursday, so less than six days, or about 3.5 business days, for the Council to digest the 1000+ page agenda. Bob took a calculated risk and called for a Town Hall on the Thursday prior to the meeting. He strongly opposed the data center then, and he's on record as having strongly opposed it all along. Other Council members criticized him for speaking to the citizens. On the radio. The Mayor and our City Manager, separately, lamented the loss of income the data center would have provided for the city, also on WTAW.
I spoke at a Council meeting and called their radio comments "tone deaf", as I've followed this one very closely. While the vote wasn't close, that was only after 70+ people spoke at a Council meeting.
I'd go a step further and say that the contract, also in the "long form" agenda, was so one-sided it was laughable. But that's my non-lawyer opinion. The nearby neighborhoods were being cast aside. The Langford retirement center was not considered. The affect on wildlife was never a concern by most.
This was the single most ill-considered agenda item in our city's history, and it was within a a few days of passing. Yancy gets credit, and thanks, for stopping the data center.
lwd78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGunNut said:

CEO of a city is an accurate term for a city manager. Just like in a corporation where the CEO reports to the board, the city manager reports to a board (city council).

Actually, Texas law defines the City Manager as the administrative head for the city. CAO would be a more applicable title. The "governing body" is the Council (including Mayor).
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get it. I thought it was a weird response because there are a few things you are known for and supporting police and the FD some of those things.
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Koko Chingo said:

I get it. I thought it was a weird response because there are a few things you are known for and supporting police and the FD some of those things.


I'm confused about what response was weird but no matter. Glad it seems to be cleared up. Have a good evening and a great week!

Respectfully

Yancy '95
AgGunNut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's called an analogy. It's still an accurate one.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

The public received word because Yancy alerted us to it.
zigag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lwd78 said:

zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you need a better source. First, our City Manager signed an NDA, binding the Council to secrecy, before telling them about this. That in and of itself is a huge issue for me.
The agenda comes out on the Friday afternoon before the Council meeting the following Thursday, so less than six days, or about 3.5 business days, for the Council to digest the 1000+ page agenda. Bob took a calculated risk and called for a Town Hall on the Thursday prior to the meeting. He strongly opposed the data center then, and he's on record as having strongly opposed it all along. Other Council members criticized him for speaking to the citizens. On the radio. The Mayor and our City Manager, separately, lamented the loss of income the data center would have provided for the city, also on WTAW.
I spoke at a Council meeting and called their radio comments "tone deaf", as I've followed this one very closely. While the vote wasn't close, that was only after 70+ people spoke at a Council meeting.
I'd go a step further and say that the contract, also in the "long form" agenda, was so one-sided it was laughable. But that's my non-lawyer opinion. The nearby neighborhoods were being cast aside. The Langford retirement center was not considered. The affect on wildlife was never a concern by most.
This was the single most ill-considered agenda item in our city's history, and it was within a a few days of passing. Yancy gets credit, and thanks, for stopping the data center.


It is a huge issue. A non-elected city official was able to gag our elected officials on our city council?

When did the City Council delegate this power to the City Manager?

What is being done to prevent this from happening again?

Can council member and mayoral candidate, Bob Yancy, answer these questions since he was involved?
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

The public received word because Yancy alerted us to it.

Eternally grateful to him for that, He caught a little hell for that IIRC from staff and other council; members.
www.elitellp.net/

trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
indeed
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zigag09 said:

lwd78 said:

zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you need a better source. First, our City Manager signed an NDA, binding the Council to secrecy, before telling them about this. That in and of itself is a huge issue for me.
The agenda comes out on the Friday afternoon before the Council meeting the following Thursday, so less than six days, or about 3.5 business days, for the Council to digest the 1000+ page agenda. Bob took a calculated risk and called for a Town Hall on the Thursday prior to the meeting. He strongly opposed the data center then, and he's on record as having strongly opposed it all along. Other Council members criticized him for speaking to the citizens. On the radio. The Mayor and our City Manager, separately, lamented the loss of income the data center would have provided for the city, also on WTAW.
I spoke at a Council meeting and called their radio comments "tone deaf", as I've followed this one very closely. While the vote wasn't close, that was only after 70+ people spoke at a Council meeting.
I'd go a step further and say that the contract, also in the "long form" agenda, was so one-sided it was laughable. But that's my non-lawyer opinion. The nearby neighborhoods were being cast aside. The Langford retirement center was not considered. The affect on wildlife was never a concern by most.
This was the single most ill-considered agenda item in our city's history, and it was within a a few days of passing. Yancy gets credit, and thanks, for stopping the data center.


It is a huge issue. A non-elected city official was able to gag our elected officials on our city council?

When did the City Council delegate this power to the City Manager?

What is being done to prevent this from happening again?

Can council member and mayoral candidate, Bob Yancy, answer these questions since he was involved?



Yes. An NDA was signed one day before this council was sworn in. We were informed after the fact that it had been signed. And, if it were enforceable (which is an open question given we never saw, approved or signed the document) it questionably encumbered us to silence for approximately 11 months.

We instituted a policy-in-practice in the wake of the data center getting voted down that requires 30 day notice- at least a workshop- to publicly discuss such projects in the future. We adhere to that policy to this day.

I'd like to see the policy codified, but we are adhering to it.

Respectfully

Yancy '95
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zig said:

It is a huge issue. A non-elected city official was able to gag our elected officials on our city council?

When did the City Council delegate this power to the City Manager?

What is being done to prevent this from happening again?

Can council member and mayoral candidate, Bob Yancy, answer these questions since he was involved?


Yes. That's exactly what he did.

Previous Councils deferred to him for everything as "The CEO".
Valen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For what it's worth, in the hopes to be one of the 7 on council, I make this guarantee that shall I prevail in this election cycle I will work with Mr. Yancy to make sure this practice is codified.

I believe it's crucial for citizens to be informed as it is your money were stewards of.
Valen Cepak
College Station City Council Place 5 Candidate
Valen Cepak.com
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EliteElectric said:

trouble said:

zigag09 said:


Wasn't the entire city council a 'yea' for the midtown data center before word got out less than a week before the vote and before they were subjected to the public backlash?

The city had been interacting with the company since late 2024 under an NDA.

With less than six days' notice, residents gathered over 5,000 signatures on a petition and filled the City Hall chambers to maximum capacity.

He gets credit for jumping on the bandwagon at the last moment?

EDIT: How did the public receive word? City Council agenda packet released on Friday evening, September 5, 2025.

The public received word because Yancy alerted us to it.

Eternally grateful to him for that, He caught a little hell for that IIRC from staff and other council; members.


Not every councilmember has access to their own attorney to really understand the issue. Emotions were high and citizens were upset. I don't fault anyone for their opinions. It's over now. Four neighborhoods were protected and a better use of the land is underway and it was a full council effort to get us here.

Respectfully and moving on,

Yancy '95 Place 5
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I know you weren't looking for a pat on the back but I am giving it to you anyways. You may have had more resources than the others but you also had more courage. I don't always agree with you but I always believe you have citizen's best interests in mind, and that will get my support every time.
www.elitellp.net/

Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EliteElectric said:

Well I know you weren't looking for a pat on the back but I am giving it to you anyways. You may have had more resources than the others but you also had more courage. I don't always agree with you but I always believe you have citizen's best interests in mind, and that will get my support every time.


Thanks for the kind words. Especially on this platform. Have a wonderful week.

Respectfully

Yancy '95

wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EliteElectric said:

Well I know you weren't looking for a pat on the back but I am giving it to you anyways. You may have had more resources than the others but you also had more courage. I don't always agree with you but I always believe you have citizen's best interests in mind, and that will get my support every time.


This is just Bob Yancy being Bob Yancy.

Years ago, I skipped my graduation ceremony at Auburn and drove to College Station to interview for a job with a small medical equipment company. I arrived with a clinical background in radiology, but very little understanding of everything that happened behind the scenes to procure, install, and operationalize the equipment I had relied on every day while caring for patients.

I met Bob briefly during that interview, and one thing became clear very quickly: if I joined that company, my experience would matter. It would be heard, valued, and put to use.

I ultimately took the job and had the opportunity to work with and for Bob for several years. What I saw then is the same approach I still recognize in him today: listen to the subject-matter experts first. Evaluate and learn. Execute. Then repeat.

One of the things I respected most about working with Bob was his willingness to listen to people who knew something he didn't. He understood that good leadership didn't require having every answer yourself. It required bringing the right people into the conversation, listening carefully, and then turning what was learned into action.

And no matter how involved Bob was in developing a vision, when that vision became reality, the accomplishment belonged to the team. Success was shared and celebrated together.

I learned a great deal during those years, and I continue to have a tremendous amount of respect for Bob and for the way he approaches leadership.

I may not live in College Station anymore, but fortunately, my mom still does and is a voter!
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wareagle044 said:

EliteElectric said:

Well I know you weren't looking for a pat on the back but I am giving it to you anyways. You may have had more resources than the others but you also had more courage. I don't always agree with you but I always believe you have citizen's best interests in mind, and that will get my support every time.


This is just Bob Yancy being Bob Yancy.

Years ago, I skipped my graduation ceremony at Auburn and drove to College Station to interview for a job with a small medical equipment company. I arrived with a clinical background in radiology, but very little understanding of everything that happened behind the scenes to procure, install, and operationalize the equipment I had relied on every day while caring for patients.

I met Bob briefly during that interview, and one thing became clear very quickly: if I joined that company, my experience would matter. It would be heard, valued, and put to use.

I ultimately took the job and had the opportunity to work with and for Bob for several years. What I saw then is the same approach I still recognize in him today: listen to the subject-matter experts first. Evaluate and learn. Execute. Then repeat.

One of the things I respected most about working with Bob was his willingness to listen to people who knew something he didn't. He understood that good leadership didn't require having every answer yourself. It required bringing the right people into the conversation, listening carefully, and then turning what was learned into action.

And no matter how involved Bob was in developing a vision, when that vision became reality, the accomplishment belonged to the team. Success was shared and celebrated together.

I learned a great deal during those years, and I continue to have a tremendous amount of respect for Bob and for the way he approaches leadership.

I may not live in College Station anymore, but fortunately, my mom still does and is a voter!


There's only two people you could be and I now know who. :-) Your Texags identity is safe with me.

Thanks for the kind words, Sergeant. Kristi is wiping her eyes. Those were wonderful times and we built something special in MEMdata. Could not have done it without you- from Korea to many corners of the USA.

Thanks for your service and congratulations on your beautiful family and success. Let's go have a beer next time you're in town.

All the best.

Respectfully

Bob
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EliteElectric said:

Well I know you weren't looking for a pat on the back but I am giving it to you anyways. You may have had more resources than the others but you also had more courage. I don't always agree with you but I always believe you have citizen's best interests in mind, and that will get my support every time.

This is more or less where I come down, as well. I didn't agree with all of Bob Yancy's votes when he was on the city council, but there was no denying he researched the issues and tried to vote what his constituents wanted and was in their best interest. A politician actually trying to represent the people who elected him. What a concept.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://communityimpact.com/bryan-college-station/election/q-a-get-to-know-the-candidates-running-for-college-station-city-council-place-5/
Valen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These were really short answers so happy to answer any follow up questions if people want to reach out privately.
Valen Cepak
College Station City Council Place 5 Candidate
Valen Cepak.com
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scott DeLucia first interviewed me as the city's public information officer…about 34 years ago. Here, we discuss citizens first, Flock, Terafab and more about a week before the vote.

Respectfully

Yancy '95


Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hot off the Facebook presses.

As I recall, some folks wanted a more concrete statement from candidates….


 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.