College Station - Fiscal Matter(s)

6,551 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Craig Regan 14
Craig Regan 14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey GANG!

I hear this where the cool kids come to discuss Aggieland (COCS) Issues.

Allow me to introduce myself before we get into the fun(?).

My name is Craig Regan - I have lived in Brazos County for about 15 years. I am a active duty vet. AC2 in the US Navy. Father of 15 years Husband of 17. I currently help run & manage a bond brokerage for construction insurance. I have no local conflicts to get that outta the way but my experience runs deep in Fed/State/Municipal Contracts. I have most likely read more RFP's than a healthy person should.

Disclosure: I ran for COCS City Council back in '20 and as you might have guessed, I lost in a runoff.

But have been following the discussion on this forum for sometime regarding COCS budget issues. I ran on this four years ago (along with several other policy concerns) and even before that I would appear before council to try and highlight that our real fiscal issues having been and continue to be our O&M and our debt.

So let us open the books briefly to see what is actually happening.

(No need to be gentle with comments. If I messed up or got something wrong, tell me. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.)

As you can see in the images attached COCS budget has increased in the last ~4 years by $150,889,116. Now, as a percentage O&M and debt service has remained steady 58-41 (respectively). However it is important to highlight where the budget has seen the most growth. I am going back to 19-20 because COVID and it's fall out do not create a "clean" side by side COMP.

By far the largest growth is our DEBT service. Up nearly $9m. As you work your way down the list you will see other funds and expenditure be slashed or zero'd out completely.

The other growth line item is the General Fund

For what it is worth, we are still seeing the same trend line in certain areas. But a few of the bigs stand out pretty easily. Parks and Rec's budget has nearly doubled while Public Works has actually decreased.

The last part I will get into now (to keep things digestable) is one that concerns me the most and that is our capital projects and outlays. This next bit of images might surprise or scare you depending on your perspective.

What you see above is what is I consider to be the real threat. Capital Projects and the associated interest that comes with them.

These have to be Prioritized and Organized to a degree that we have not seen before. I have not included utilities such as water and waste water etc for simplicity sake but fair to say the numbers/trends are the same.

I have tried, for many moons, to get folk's eyes on this issue by using several policy methods.

1.) Shift more CASH into CIP budget to avoid paying interest on debt but this would require taking from other departments. Majority on council would have to approve.

2.) Reduce O&M growth by 25%. Growth will happen, there is no way around that but capping that growth at a certain limit is a start.

3.) No more buying or building (think Rock P Baseball fields and Macy's) until we lay down a set of criteria by which we approve further spending. We need the balance sheets for each Buying and Building. If the criteria are not met, we do not advance it. If it council still wants to do it, put it to a public vote.

For example the I did not support the ballpark off RP but not because I do not like baseball. I've been in and around baseball for 20 years but I knew the city bought that property blind and the associated due diligence had not been done on the land itself, when it was bought. We needed to see the balance sheets and P&L's associated with the project and the land sale paperwork before we ok'd bond for it to be built. This is apart of the criteria check I am talking about.

There are more policy's to go through but suffice to say unless we get our arms around these issues we will not being seeing anything but more tax & fee increases.

But here is the rub. It is not just about the growth of the city balance sheet. It is about the subtraction from taxpayers. One more dollar taxed is one less that is in the economy. The less in the economy the less our community grows. The less the economy grows the more people struggle to meet their daily needs - gas, food, utility's - the list goes on. Heck, I do not need to tell you because I live it myself every day as well.

We need to start to open budgetary windows in the coming years and the only way to do that is an orderly, policy based process. It is not just about the intent of doing something but how you intend to get there. The HOW is what really matters.

Hope this helps provide some clarity (or not) but figured it was time to just put the numbers down and open the books.

Best Regards
EBrazosAg
AG
What part of the debt service increase is due to rising interest rates ? What part of the debt is subject to interest rate increases in the next 1,2,5 and 10 yrs ?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Craig Regan 14
EBrazosAg said:

What part of the debt service increase is due to rising interest rates ? What part of the debt is subject to interest rate increases in the next 1,2,5 and 10 yrs ?
Great question(s)!

The image above is from one of the most recent bonds issued. This reflects apart of the interest rate increase we saw come down from the Fed but we are about to issue $43m which blows right past staff projections of $25m in this years issuance.

Over half of that $43m is for infrastructure. See statement below and break down.

The rate COCS gets for these bonds will start to tell the tale of interest rate trend lines but I would expect something similar to last year. 4-5% with a TIC around 3.5% on average (TIC = true interest cost which is effected by inflation and other factors)

But to provide a direct answer - the debt service is a combined figure of principal and interest and clearly just based on using simple math of addition and subtraction the interest rate will gobble up more and more of that "debt service fund" line. Meaning the more debt we keep taking out the more funds will have to be dedicated to that one line item in the budget and correspondingly the 41% we currently pay on the tax rate.

That is broken down by I&S and O&M. I&S currently = ~41% and O&M 58%. That I&S (debt) part will have a larger and larger part of it due to interest. Which means less money to do other things with.

Thoughts? Hope I answered the question(s)
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck
AG
As a CS taxpayer and HOA President, Craig, I have zero faith that the current city council isn't running the place off a cliff at high speed. The only one that seems to have a lick of sense is Bob Yancy. In fact, I think things like the Macy's debacle is kicking in the afterburners. I know several rank and file city employees that think the place is run in a haphazard and shoddy manner as well.

The folks voting and controlling city government though, have their taxes frozen, and vote as a block. Very similar to electing a Yell Leader at the big school. One minority of uniform wearing students votes as a single unit, and they impose their will. The sad part about the elderly action network is that they face no consequences for their actions financially. You and I do, the guys paying the bills, but they only care about their agenda. That is pretty clear to me, and we see this reflected in the city council.

Me on the other hand, bought a house in 2018 for $285k and current values are around $550k. I have not seen any betterment of quality of life in the tax increases the ISD, County, and City have thrust upon me over the past six years. In fact, I'd say it's diminished if anything.

I *do not care* about the RATE, Nancy Berry and Duane Peters, I care about the *amount*. That has gone up, and continues to go up. The School District is following suit. Reckless spending, and more debt. At some point, we will hit a breaking point. I think we are seeing this in the number of businesses closing at a fast rate.

I work in sales, and do multimillion dollar deals regularly. The government officials around here seem to think they are used car salesmen "rocking a four square" telling us our taxes went down. I beg to differ. I have made not so idle threats on this board that I should sell my half million dollar, 1900 square foot *manse* and buy some land in the country, with a lower tax rate. I own a house and rental property, I'm a guy paying the bills, and I for one am not happy. I'm all for some accountability, and a fresh perspective.
maddiedou
AG
I can be mad with you but explain to me like I am three what I am mad about

If it is

the appraisal district taxing the crap out of us and the city council spending like crack *****s then I am already there
maddiedou
maroon barchetta
I think you have it mostly right.
Hornbeck
AG
maddiedou said:

If it is

the appraisal district taxing the crap out of us and the city council spending like crack *****s then I am already there

I used a lot more words to say the same thing, maddiedou. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
EliteElectric
maddiedou said:

If it is

you have to be an HOA prez to understand
Craig Regan 14
maddiedou said:

If it is

I do not know anything about "crack" but the way I see this is straight forward.

Every year the council sets it priority's and staff lays out the design.

First and foremost - staff is only doing what council directs, so they do not deserve any blame. Council is the boss.

However, that was not your question

I can only say this. If you are looking at a budget exploding by nearly 25% over 5 years than priority's need to be adhered to.

1.) How does this effect taxpayers and the economy? A dollar taxed is a dollar not in the economy - where it belongs

2.) What can we prioritize and organize NOW that will SAVE us money later (IE - budgetary windows opening and closing)

3.) Proper communication and direction from/with citizens. Citizens are a lot smarter than some folks give them credit for. But the urge to get a catch phrase or issue a platitude is too tempting for some. I get it. But Council needed to open the books and be straight with people

"This is the mountain of infrastructure and debt we are looking at. All hands on deck because if we are all not pulling together on these issues than we all fall part separately" (paging Ben Franklin?).

If you view COCS as its own country for a moment, than you start to see what kind of crisis it is and that requires the legislature (Council) to speak to citizens honestly and directly. Taxpayer/citizens will get it but only if Council provides some leadership. The "battles" of the future will be waged on our balance sheets.

Act accordingly.

~IMHO

maddiedou
AG
Your gonna have to get smaller and more direct sentences

But I think I am mad with you and I am going back to my finally tomotoes and post my bell peppers
maddiedou
UmustBKidding
The number I want to see and people to know is how much of the debt is from bond issues and how much is from certificates of obligation. Certificates of obligation were designed to cover emergency issues that must be resolved before a bond election can be held. Think hurricane wipes out the water plant, we can't wait to put together a bond package and vote in 6 months, has to be addressed today. They typically also allow government entities to maintain more reasonable cash reserves to cover such contingencies knowing that using a CO is likely preferred to taxing the fool out of residents, just in case. But at least in College Station it seems that Bonds are only issued to fund projects that have no opposition and have obvious ongoing needs of any city. But if we want to build an outsized Fire Station, Keep up with the Frisco & Irving's of the world City hall or a half baked athletic field or park, shoot we will just issue a CO and avoid those pesky voters.
I guarantee if the voters had to be consulted the debt service would be far lower.
Craig Regan 14
Hornbeck said:

As a CS taxpayer and HOA President, Craig, I have zero faith that the current city council isn't running the place off a cliff at high speed. The only one that seems to have a lick of sense is Bob Yancy. In fact, I think things like the Macy's debacle is kicking in the afterburners. I know several rank and file city employees that think the place is run in a haphazard and shoddy manner as well.

The folks voting and controlling city government though, have their taxes frozen, and vote as a block. Very similar to electing a Yell Leader at the big school. One minority of uniform wearing students votes as a single unit, and they impose their will. The sad part about the elderly action network is that they face no consequences for their actions financially. You and I do, the guys paying the bills, but they only care about their agenda. That is pretty clear to me, and we see this reflected in the city council.

Me on the other hand, bought a house in 2018 for $285k and current values are around $550k. I have not seen any betterment of quality of life in the tax increases the ISD, County, and City have thrust upon me over the past six years. In fact, I'd say it's diminished if anything.

I *do not care* about the RATE, Nancy Berry and Duane Peters, I care about the *amount*. That has gone up, and continues to go up. The School District is following suit. Reckless spending, and more debt. At some point, we will hit a breaking point. I think we are seeing this in the number of businesses closing at a fast rate.

I work in sales, and do multimillion dollar deals regularly. The government officials around here seem to think they are used car salesmen "rocking a four square" telling us our taxes went down. I beg to differ. I have made not so idle threats on this board that I should sell my half million dollar, 1900 square foot *manse* and buy some land in the country, with a lower tax rate. I own a house and rental property, I'm a guy paying the bills, and I for one am not happy. I'm all for some accountability, and a fresh perspective
"Prioritize and Organize" I say

At $500,000,000 a year any civic leadership needs to evolve and start laying down solid policy and future guidance for future councils to inherit and carry forward.

Elected folks will come and go. Years and decades will pass but certain things need to be strictly adhered to.

This is in line with idea of putting more cash toward infrastructure projects.

$1 spent in cash = $1

$1 spent on debt = ~$1.20+ amortized

Somethings just need to be place in order. This is one of them.
Craig Regan 14
maddiedou said:

Your gonna have to get smaller and more direct sentences

But I think I am mad with you and I am going back to my finally tomotoes and post bell peppers See few words
The Good Lord knows!

I have tried to find ways to communicate this but it always comes down to: How simple can you make it?

Below is the best I got

"We need to adhere to the ideas of: Set fiscal priorities and organize GOV and citizens around them. Start to clear debt off the books, cap O&M growth and pass a standard by which we build and purchase"

We have established everyone in town is a "fiscal conservative". Box checked. But HOW... how do we get there. Not just how do we get the votes on council but what the policy looks like to get to where we want to go.

I am open to ideas but again I cannot stress enough... it is about the HOW in which we get to where we want.

*(Good luck with the garden, I have only gotten my sunflowers to grow this year and I am a little confused as to why)
maddiedou
AG
Well you seemed to know this stuff so in 5 years I should have some money PM me and I will try to bankroll your city council run but my intellectual political wife and three more people will drill you with questions before I can/will support

Keep up the work
maddiedou
Craig Regan 14
maddiedou said:

Well you seemed to know this stuff so in 5 years I should have some money PM me and I will try to bankroll your city council run but my intellectual political wife and three more people will drill you with questions before I can/will support

Keep up the work
Good Bull!

and feel free to hit me with questions now. I am sure I missed(ing) something and blind spots are easy to miss or forget.
Hornbeck
AG
Believe me when I say this… I didn't politick for it. I was on the board when some folks moved, and I got left holding the bag. I'm actually a pretty cool HOA prez. Just cut your damn yard and don't have parties until 3 am spilling into the street. That's bout it.
EliteElectric
Hornbeck said:

Believe me when I say this… I didn't politick for it. I was on the board when some folks moved, and I got left holding the bag. I'm actually a pretty cool HOA prez. Just cut your damn yard and don't have parties until 3 am spilling into the street. That's bout it.
May not have politic'd for it but mentioning it was definitely a decision lol
maroon barchetta
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/06/28/college-station-city-council-approves-resolution-option-higher-2026-tax-rate-if-needed/
b0ridi
maroon barchetta said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/06/28/college-station-city-council-approves-resolution-option-higher-2026-tax-rate-if-needed/
I think that KBTX is not stating the percentages correctly. I believe this means the tax rate could increase by 8% instead of 3.5%, not that the tax rate is going from 3.5% to 8% (more than doubling).

Went to a presentation by the city's budget director earlier this week. She said the proposal for FY25 was to increase the City of CS property tax rate from from 51.3 cents per $100 to 52.x per $100 (don't remember what the first decimal place was)
scd88
AG
maddiedou said:

If it is

This is brilliant. Well done.
CS78
Im too broke from paying property taxes but let me know if yall need help driving t-post and hanging signs.

maddiedou said:

Keep up the work
Buford T. Justice
AG
A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the town, how long I've lived here, and the escalating cost to continue to live here, and thought, "the town looks the same as it did 20 years ago. What are these increased taxes being used for?"
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
maroon barchetta
Buying dead mall stores to keep them from being on the tax rolls

"Iconic" Instagram props

Chimney Hill

Land for ballparks that is not going to be used for ballparks

Red light cameras and contract with red light camera contractor that turned out to be a bad plan and had to be removed

Trees. Lots of trees in green spaces by roads
Hornbeck
AG
…and if you point out all these shortcomings, you're told "that was previous councils". But, some of those same people are in county government, and I'm sure we don't have that high of a turnover in higher-end city staffers, who present these plans.

No accountability.
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

That die
Hornbeck
AG
EliteElectric said:

maroon barchetta said:

That die

Because they did not plan for watering them. Rec and Parks guy was pulling the strings. Yeah, dude, trees grow in jolly old England because it constantly rains. Any competent Forestry professional would have told you otherwise, but that guy was not in the discussions and plans. Only pompous rec and parks guy who has parks named after him. So, complete waste of money.
oklaunion
b0ridi said:

maroon barchetta said:

I think that KBTX is not stating the percentages correctly. I believe this means the tax rate could increase by 8% instead of 3.5%, not that the tax rate is going from 3.5% to 8% (more than doubling).

Went to a presentation by the city's budget director earlier this week. She said the proposal for FY25 was to increase the City of CS property tax rate from from 51.3 cents per $100 to 52.x per $100 (don't remember what the first decimal place was)
I would like to believe it is a misstatement but in the article it quotes Mary Ellen Leonard referencing " the property tax rate calculated at 8%." Something is amiss.
Craig Regan 14
Buford T. Justice said:

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the town, how long I've lived here, and the escalating cost to continue to live here, and thought, "the town looks the same as it did 20 years ago. What are these increased taxes being used for?"
That is why I included all the budget info. To COMP four years ago to this most recent past FY.

Usually when any budget grows by ~$151m (over 25%) in four years you expect to see something "different".

But that is why I am so laser focused on our infrastructure and debt. Besides non-negotiables (Police and Fire/staff) no single part of the budget has seen such an explosion as these two areas.

It is no longer about patching this road or that road. It is quite literally eating out tax dollars alive, from the inside out. Couple that with an unfunded pension liability of about $36m and you get what you see.

Taxes and fees - taxes and fees. Because the scope and scale of the issues have exploded. This is what city leadership needed to speak to us about years ago.

"This is the mountain we have in front of us". Rather than trying to skirt the issue, address it. Head on. Citizens are smart(er) - than some folks give them credit for.

Growth is good. But when that growth begins to slow it will slowly start to swallow personal income (taxes) and take money out of local circulation JUST TO KEEP ROADS from collapsing: it is no longer a virtuous cycle but a vicious one.

~Act accordingly

(I still remember when GOV cut taxes in bad economic times. Now, GOV needs more. The usual model is cracking)
This is even more concerning when you realize that the "non-negotiables" you referenced are both staffed well below national recommendations. The last 3rd party audit of CSPD highlighted a major gap in officer staffing. The report referenced time spent being proactive vs reactive and it was extremely sobering.
At the same time, CSFD has staffing that is below the NFPA recommended minimums. If I'm not mistake, Bryan FD adopted those recommendations years ago while CS has stalled out. Based on the data you posted above I would guess that public works is suffering much the same fate.
Craig Regan 14
2020 said:

This is even more concerning when you realize that the "non-negotiables" you referenced are both staffed well below national recommendations. The last 3rd party audit of CSPD highlighted a major gap in officer staffing. The report referenced time spent being proactive vs reactive and it was extremely sobering.
At the same time, CSFD has staffing that is below the NFPA recommended minimums. If I'm not mistake, Bryan FD adopted those recommendations years ago while CS has stalled out. Based on the data you posted above I would guess that public works is suffering much the same fate.
Prioritize and Organize - that's as simple as I can make it.

Fire/Police budget has gone up as well but I leave those to the side because public safety is not negotiable. You either have it or you don't.

Staffing issues are well known - turn over is quite high. That is not a state secret, everyone knows this.

So each department in and of itself should be viewed as Prioritize and Organize. IE

1.) What are the priorities of each department? Staff turnover, cost control etc

2.) Organize around those priorities. Instead of trying to put Band-Aids on multiple issues, focus on them one at a time and put our energy into solving them.

That does not mean throwing other things to the side completely (we can walk and chew gum) but it just means we ID issues and focus on them first before we move onto the next. So on and so on.

If you are spreading resources around to different competitive issues, things tend not to actually get better. Just maintains the status quo.

Hope that helps but just my thoughts
officerfred
Here is a simple explanation of what College Station taxpayers need to know about what happened in Thursday's City Council Meeting.

The City of College Station is preparing to raise taxes by up to 8% in 2005, exceeding the current state limit of 3.5%.

State law caps the city's tax increase at 3.5% without voter approval. However, the city plans to exploit a technicality related to a state disaster declaration, which had no significant impact on College Station, to bypass this requirement and avoid seeking voter approval for the higher tax increase.

There was no disaster in College Station. This move by the city hall and council appears disingenuous. We may face serious issues if a real disaster occurs and we need to rely on our city's leadership.

This is again an example of why so many of us distrust our city.

The council is looking to raise taxes to cover increased city spending, rising operations and maintenance costs for new facilities, and commitments to fund a new fire station, among other expenses.

Council members Nichols, Maloney, White, Smith, and Harvel voted in favor.

Yancy and Cunha voted against it.
Craig Regan 14
officerfred said:

Here is a simple explanation of what College Station taxpayers need to know about what happened in Thursday's City Council Meeting.

The City of College Station is preparing to raise taxes by up to 8% in 2005, exceeding the current state limit of 3.5%.

State law caps the city's tax increase at 3.5% without voter approval. However, the city plans to exploit a technicality related to a state disaster declaration, which had no significant impact on College Station, to bypass this requirement and avoid seeking voter approval for the higher tax increase.

There was no disaster in College Station. This move by the city hall and council appears disingenuous. We may face serious issues if a real disaster occurs and we need to rely on our city's leadership.

This is again an example of why so many of us distrust our city.

The council is looking to raise taxes to cover increased city spending, rising operations and maintenance costs for new facilities, and commitments to fund a new fire station, among other expenses.

Council members Nichols, Maloney, White, Smith, and Harvel voted in favor.

Yancy and Cunha voted against it.
I've been talking about this all morning with folks. I think things are getting a little twisted.

I've read the state and local law. I have yet to find anything that says council has announced or filed a petition with the state to increase taxes. I may have missed it but I have not found it.

Council cannot legally raise anything without that notice or appeal. Full Stop.

That notice has to be filed with the State and then the State has to approve the notice or appeal. This is the key to the whole thing. In that notice or appeal the COCS has to lay out what exactly happened and how much in costs was inflicted. Think Winter Storm Uri

If the state approves it than it moves to council for a vote. At that point the number will be easy to see and what exactly you need 8% for.

But to the principal of the matter, I am in agreement.

Any large capital project "wash out" - we are talking $10m's. Imagine the waste water plant being flooded out and turning off. That is what our capital reserves are for. Each year money is put aside (millions of $'s worth) for operational reserves. Couple that with cash on hand and delaying other projects to fund this major issue (waste water treatment) with re-appropriated funds from those projects is honestly the most straight forward way.

An 8% increase in taxes is NOT going to fill the hole for a major disaster "then and now" and even then the tax will be levied on the next FY. So it is a recouped cost, in essence.

Even though the money is already been spent. City is just backfilling.
Hornbeck
AG
Recall elections, anyone?!!
officerfred
Mr. Yancy, I really appreciate the time you spend to engage here. It is a rare thing.

The city staff asked you to take the first step to begin a process that could allow the city to increase taxes up to 8% (beyond the 3.5% rate).

The idea that we need to wait a full year to know whether we had a "disaster", justifying this radical taxing authority is laughable and unbelievable. NO ONE on council asked about said disaster damage because there wasn't any. Before you authorize staff to pursue additional spending due to a "city disaster". one would think that the council would ask about the scope of the disaster.

This is a tactic to raise taxes without voter approval. Call it what it is and do not pretend we need additional spending due to a disaster that did not occur in our area.

Again. we appreciate you. Looks full speed ahead for much higher taxes in the city.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.