College Station - Fiscal Matter(s)

5,719 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Craig Regan 14
EriktheRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Craig (or anyone else), how much do you know about the "Homeowner Acquisition and Rehab" amendment to the Consolidated Plan that was passed last night?

After watching the council meeting last night, the city plans to purchase older homes, fix them up "in house", then sell them to low-income qualified individuals at a discounted rate. Is this a common program for cities? Does the money for this program come from federal grants like Community Dev Block Grants or something?

Any insight from folks more in the know would be appreciated.
Craig Regan 14
Hornbeck said:

Recall elections, anyone?!!
I am all for civic accountability... clearly. Probably more than some care to hear

But let me go out on a limb here to say something:

Without using names -- this one issue that has raised a lot of eyebrows... so besides this issue.

What other issues have been raised? What other problems have been solved? What other savings or things have some folks contributed to?

Are we just grandstanding for the sake of an election? Or are we looking voters in eye and telling the truth?

I have tried to lay out our real issues and some of those same people who are raising holy heck about this issue, also bought Macy's and passed bonds for RP ballpark circus.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-the-purchase-of-the-former-macys-store-and-adjoining-parking/

"The College Station city council unanimously approved spending $7.3 million dollars from the general fund to buy the former Macy's store and adjoining parking."

Just sayin' folks.
Craig Regan 14
EriktheRed said:

Craig (or anyone else), how much do you know about the "Homeowner Acquisition and Rehab" amendment to the Consolidated Plan that was passed last night?

After watching the council meeting last night, the city plans to purchase older homes, fix them up "in house", then sell them to low-income qualified individuals at a discounted rate. Is this a common program for cities? Does the money for this program come from federal grants like Community Dev Block Grants or something?

Any insight from folks more in the know would be appreciated.
They actually bought (buying) a house right down the street from mine. Literally - 7-8 houses down.

2700 Wilderness South

Cost= $275,000 with reno. costs being no more than $50,000.

They will then rent it out (through a 3rd party) to offer fair housing. These are Federal funds.

Hornbeck
AG
Because Habitat for Humanity is no longer a thing, huh?
EriktheRed
AG
I saw that one on the consent agenda and that it was coming from Fed funds, but wasn't sure if that was related or the same thing since they didn't pull it out to speak on.

Thanks!
Craig Regan 14
officerfred said:

Mr. Yancy, I really appreciate the time you spend to engage here. It is a rare thing.

The city staff asked you to take the first step to begin a process that could allow the city to increase taxes up to 8% (beyond the 3.5% rate).

The idea that we need to wait a full year to know whether we had a "disaster", justifying this radical taxing authority is laughable and unbelievable. NO ONE on council asked about said disaster damage because there wasn't any. Before you authorize staff to pursue additional spending due to a "city disaster". one would think that the council would ask about the scope of the disaster.

This is a tactic to raise taxes without voter approval. Call it what it is and do not pretend we need additional spending due to a disaster that did not occur in our area.

Again. we appreciate you. Looks full speed ahead for much higher taxes in the city.
OfficerFred

I am not Bob Yancy. My name is Craig Regan.

And - if I did please point it out to me - NO WHERE did I say anything about raising anything.

If you read the OP I am trying to argue for HOW we get to lower taxes. What that process looks like and the policy's that need to be put in place to make it happen.

(I believe I am the only one who is actually laying out a policy package to get us back to fiscal balance.)

My history - election in '20 and this thread here show nothing but someone who has a deep concern for our fiscal future.

Free to visit my old campaign facebook
Craig Regan 14
Hornbeck said:

great point actually

Ive been wondering about that myself for quite some time
Buford T. Justice
AG
Good night.
I struggled with accounting classes at A&M, but even a rube like me understands that you don't set your budget based on how much that you want to spend.
Wow! Wow! Wow! That is terrible.
Bob Yancy
officerfred said:

Mr. Yancy, I really appreciate the time you spend to engage here. It is a rare thing.

The city staff asked you to take the first step to begin a process that could allow the city to increase taxes up to 8% (beyond the 3.5% rate).

The idea that we need to wait a full year to know whether we had a "disaster", justifying this radical taxing authority is laughable and unbelievable. NO ONE on council asked about said disaster damage because there wasn't any. Before you authorize staff to pursue additional spending due to a "city disaster". one would think that the council would ask about the scope of the disaster.

This is a tactic to raise taxes without voter approval. Call it what it is and do not pretend we need additional spending due to a disaster that did not occur in our area.

Again. we appreciate you. Looks full speed ahead for much higher taxes in the city.

Thank you sir. I disagreed and therefore voted no to the measure. It passed, and could lead to as much as an 8% tax rate increase without voter approval, taking our property tax rate from approximately $.51 cents to $.55 cents per hundred dollar valuation.

It is fair to say, in defense of my colleagues that voted for it and staff that proposed it, that it did NOT raise your taxes. It was merely the first step in a lengthy "what if" scenario that could lead to it in the event of an emergency. I don't blame anyone for voting the way they did.

I just felt like, and still do, our bosses the citizens, are perfectly capable of deciding if an emergency situation warrants a tax increase. Those were essentially the words of my colleague and I agreed, so I voted no.

Respectfully

***Edited to add:

I was given a heads up that OfficerFred had made this post and addressed me. Had I not been informed I would have never known. If anyone addresses me or asks a fair question and I don't answer, it's because I don't know- not because I'm ignoring anyone. Still trying to figure out how to handle this…may not be possible. FYI.
My opinions are mine and should not be construed as those of city council or staff. I welcome robust debate but will cease communication on any thread in which colleagues or staff are personally criticized. I must refrain from comment on posted agenda items until after meetings are concluded. Bob Yancy 95
maroon barchetta
Umm, you have stars. Use your watchlist and it will show you that someone has replied on the thread or to one of your posts
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

Umm, you have stars. Use your watchlist and it will show you that someone has replied on the thread or to one of your posts

What do the stars mean?

What is a watchlist?

I didn't make this post or respond to it before now…

Please advise
maroon barchetta
Up at the top right. The little bell.

It's where I get notified when threads on my watchlist have activity. It saves me a lot of time not having to search old threads to see if anything new has been posted.
maroon barchetta
And the stars mean you have a subscription to the site
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

Up at the top right. The little bell.

It's where I get notified when threads on my watchlist have activity. It saves me a lot of time not having to search old threads to see if anything new has been posted.

Thanks
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

And the stars mean you have a subscription to the site

I do indeed. Thanks.
maroon barchetta
Read the first post where it says The Watchlist.

https://texags.com/forums/69/topics/2849900/last#last
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

Read the first post where it says The Watchlist.

https://texags.com/forums/69/topics/2849900/last#last

Ok that's extremely helpful. Thanks!
Hornbeck
AG
The other benefit of stars is that you can be messaged directly, and vice versa to other paid members.
Bob Yancy
Hornbeck said:

The other benefit of stars is that you can be messaged directly, and vice versa to other paid members.

Thank you. I've done that before. I'd offer that anyone who thinks I haven't seen their post can always message me!
Hornbeck
AG
Roger that, señor!
woodiewood
Hornbeck said:

As a CS taxpayer and HOA President, Craig, I have zero faith that the current city council isn't running the place off a cliff at high speed. The only one that seems to have a lick of sense is Bob Yancy. In fact, I think things like the Macy's debacle is kicking in the afterburners. I know several rank and file city employees that think the place is run in a haphazard and shoddy manner as well.

The folks voting and controlling city government though, have their taxes frozen, and vote as a block. Very similar to electing a Yell Leader at the big school. One minority of uniform wearing students votes as a single unit, and they impose their will. The sad part about the elderly action network is that they face no consequences for their actions financially. You and I do, the guys paying the bills, but they only care about their agenda. That is pretty clear to me, and we see this reflected in the city council.

Me on the other hand, bought a house in 2018 for $285k and current values are around $550k. I have not seen any betterment of quality of life in the tax increases the ISD, County, and City have thrust upon me over the past six years. In fact, I'd say it's diminished if anything.

I *do not care* about the RATE, Nancy Berry and Duane Peters, I care about the *amount*. That has gone up, and continues to go up. The School District is following suit. Reckless spending, and more debt. At some point, we will hit a breaking point. I think we are seeing this in the number of businesses closing at a fast rate.

I work in sales, and do multimillion dollar deals regularly. The government officials around here seem to think they are used car salesmen "rocking a four square" telling us our taxes went down. I beg to differ. I have made not so idle threats on this board that I should sell my half million dollar, 1900 square foot *manse* and buy some land in the country, with a lower tax rate. I own a house and rental property, I'm a guy paying the bills, and I for one am not happy. I'm all for some accountability, and a fresh perspective.
I think the total tax bill increases to property owners is a major driving force in the growth of the adjoining counties.

If I was moving to the BCS area, I would look at buying in locations in Grimes county like King Oaks or over around Caldwell.

One of the factors we have here affecting the appraised values are that many A&M former student retirees and others are desiring to move back and are willing to pay above market for the location they want. Two homes near me sold for 30% above what past six months comps indicated their value. The apprasal district then uses those sales to determine neighboring appraised values.

There is a group moving back that have significent equity in their homes and savings to pay whatever it takes to get a home in their desired location.

Property taxes each year should not go up more than the cost of living for the owners of the property. Anything necessary above that should go to the voters for approval.

Craig Regan 14
woodiewood said:

Hornbeck said:

As a CS taxpayer and HOA President, Craig, I have zero faith that the current city council isn't running the place off a cliff at high speed. The only one that seems to have a lick of sense is Bob Yancy. In fact, I think things like the Macy's debacle is kicking in the afterburners. I know several rank and file city employees that think the place is run in a haphazard and shoddy manner as well.

The folks voting and controlling city government though, have their taxes frozen, and vote as a block. Very similar to electing a Yell Leader at the big school. One minority of uniform wearing students votes as a single unit, and they impose their will. The sad part about the elderly action network is that they face no consequences for their actions financially. You and I do, the guys paying the bills, but they only care about their agenda. That is pretty clear to me, and we see this reflected in the city council.

Me on the other hand, bought a house in 2018 for $285k and current values are around $550k. I have not seen any betterment of quality of life in the tax increases the ISD, County, and City have thrust upon me over the past six years. In fact, I'd say it's diminished if anything.

I *do not care* about the RATE, Nancy Berry and Duane Peters, I care about the *amount*. That has gone up, and continues to go up. The School District is following suit. Reckless spending, and more debt. At some point, we will hit a breaking point. I think we are seeing this in the number of businesses closing at a fast rate.

I work in sales, and do multimillion dollar deals regularly. The government officials around here seem to think they are used car salesmen "rocking a four square" telling us our taxes went down. I beg to differ. I have made not so idle threats on this board that I should sell my half million dollar, 1900 square foot *manse* and buy some land in the country, with a lower tax rate. I own a house and rental property, I'm a guy paying the bills, and I for one am not happy. I'm all for some accountability, and a fresh perspective.
I think the total tax bill increases to property owners is a major driving force in the growth of the adjoining counties.

If I was moving to the BCS area, I would look at buying in locations in Grimes county like King Oaks or over around Caldwell.

One of the factors we have here affecting the appraised values are that many A&M former student retirees and others are desiring to move back and are willing to pay above market for the location they want. Two homes near me sold for 30% above what past six months comps indicated their value. The apprasal district then uses those sales to determine neighboring appraised values.

There is a group moving back that have significent equity in their homes and savings to pay whatever it takes to get a home in their desired location.

Property taxes each year should not go up more than the cost of living for the owners of the property. Anything necessary above that should go to the voters for approval.

I think you are touching on something that is also a cause of concern. People either simply cannot afford to live here or chose not to live here. I get it, we need to be YELL LEADERS for our home city. But the data is clear as day.

I know several dozen people who can no longer afford to even rent a house. Two couples I am friends with had their rent go up nearly $250 PER MONTH. That over $2,400 extra a year, just to have a roof over your head. Their wages are nearly the same and other necessity's (food, gas, insurance etc) are up 20 to 50%. They just threw up their hands and moved to Grimes county. The other ones moved to Burleson county.

So, just think about it: $2,400 on top of everything else has been removed from local economic growth just to live in CS. Who blames them for moving?

Now, why did the rent go up? Taxes. Plain and simple. The landlords just pass that cost on because they have bills to pay too. So you have a situation where the budget requirements (see OP of this thread) of COCS are putting downward pressure on people living here. So rather than facilitate thriving in COCS - we are not. And while some data shows we are cheaper to live here (which is great and something definitely to be proud of) COCS is not exactly making it so -- REF the folks I just mentioned.

There are certain (IMHO) structural changes we need to make in regards to our approach to our fiscal future.

This City is now at $500,000,000/year budget. If you are trying to run that budget like we are still a small but growing town than a lot of policy's are not going to be built around LONG TERM goals.

We need to PRIORITIZE and ORGANIZE our city government and the departments therein.

EDIT:
****To put numbers down, over the past four year peoples tax bills have gone up over a total $800 (average home around $250K) $800 over four years. When you aggregate that number, it is a little shocking but the number is what it is. Just straight forward math. $800 on average extra than four years ago is now going toward GOV balance sheet rather than economic growth and private wealth.
EriktheRed
AG
Average home of $250k?

Not anymore. May wanna bump that up a bit
Craig Regan 14
EriktheRed said:

Average home of $250k?

Not anymore. May wanna bump that up a bit
I know - But remember I get told two things - mostly:

1.) make things easier for people to understand

2.) Do not use long sentences.

I'm open to ideas on both how to simplify and use "round numbers" while still adhering to economic and mathematical truth.

Hornbeck
AG
I think we are reaching a tipping point at which, the amount of disposable income available to the average family is curtailed to the point that they can no longer afford things like eating out. The number of restaurants and businesses failing will increase the amount of available commercial real estate, then we'll begin to see larger companies and property management companies going under. All of which reduces sales and property taxes to the taxing entities. Their response is to further try to squeeze it out of individual families. We see this clearly in what CS is doing with the tax increases. Again, it's not the *RATE* it's the *AMOUNT*, with no real increases in wages.

Covid was not the boogeyman it was made out to be. Inflation, wage stagnation, corporate and government greed is that boogeyman. I think we're beginning to see that now, and if anything, it's going to increase.
Craig Regan 14
Hornbeck said:

I think we are reaching a tipping point at which, the amount of disposable income available to the average family is curtailed to the point that they can no longer afford things like eating out. The number of restaurants and businesses failing will increase the amount of available commercial real estate, then we'll begin to see larger companies and property management companies going under. All of which reduces sales and property taxes to the taxing entities. Their response is to further try to squeeze it out of individual families. We see this clearly in what CS is doing with the tax increases. Again, it's not the *RATE* it's the *AMOUNT*, with no real increases in wages.

Covid was not the boogeyman it was made out to be. Inflation, wage stagnation, corporate and government greed is that boogeyman. I think we're beginning to see that now, and if anything, it's going to increase.

Except for one thing:

It does NOT have to be that way. There are things local government can do to make things better.

I'm an optimist - always have been. I see no point in pessimism. Pessimism never built shelter or put food on the table.

If both are self-fulfilling prophecies then I choose the former than the latter.

It takes organization and structure to get to the right place.

IE - solid policy and strategic, aggressive -patience.

Let's Roll!
maroon barchetta
How about realism?
Craig Regan 14
So then realistically speaking:

We have the choice. We can either choose to let bad things happen or work to ensure they don't.

I love this country (it really is pretty cool when you think about it) and I'm gonna do what I can to make it better for us now and my child and grandchildren.

I'm a hopeful guy. I dunno what to say.
Hornbeck
AG
I'm all for it. I voted for you. I voted for Jess Fields, I voted for David Levine. I'll vote for just about anyone who isn't in the Berry/Mooney/Crompton/Harvell group of elderly action network choices out of principle, because I've seen how badly they've run things the past 10, 15, 20 years…

I imagine that many people just kind of stumble through life, and really don't give a crap about who's on the city council. They are real passionate about which elderly man is sitting in the Oval Office, while not caring about who's using their money to buy up commercial property because some city staffer's hand-wringing report that "unwanted tenants" might take it over.

Pardon me, but as a capital "L" Libertarian, I don't think that's your purview. I've thought about running for Council. I have a career that I'm pretty successful at though, that doesn't allow me to take off early afternoon until evening several weeks a month. We also still have children still living at home, and outside of work, they take up another large amount of time (as they should). Between those constraints, and my pragmatic approach to life and politics in general, I think I'd be a poor choice to represent you on city council. I'm all for organizing though. Keep me posted.
Craig Regan 14
So here is the thing

It takes 4 votes to do anything on council. So it really is a "team sport".

I do not go around blasting people's names or anything.

Just try to stick to the facts and do our best to form consensus on issues. Since that is the way we have been doing it for ~250 years and it hasn't turned out too bad, I say we stick with it.

Hasn't failed us.

woodiewood
Hornbeck said:

So if the city purchases it, restores it, and and then rents it out, it goes off the tax records and no tax is collected. That makes no sense. The city should not get in the single family dwelling rental business in direct competition with private entities.

If they want to assist in low income housing they should either stick to giving down payment asistance or give grants to Habitat for Humanity to build affordable housing.
maroon barchetta
They just can't help themselves.
Bob Yancy
woodiewood said:

Hornbeck said:

So if the city purchases it, restores it, and and then rents it out, it goes off the tax records and no tax is collected. That makes no sense. The city should not get in the single family dwelling rental business in direct competition with private entities.

If they want to assist in low income housing they should either stick to giving down payment asistance or give grants to Habitat for Humanity to build affordable housing.

We cancelled that agreement and it was mutual. CDBG funds through the feds are notoriously complex. We voted down program after program in just the few years I've been on council. I won't vote yes on a $400+ thousand 2 bedroom project, even if only a portion of it is local tax dollars.

Staff are wonderful, compassionate people that want to make a difference and they're trying extremely hard to do so, with success. This new program is clean, simple, straightforward and an affordable use of tax dollars given this category.

Before anyone passes summary judgment, it might help to go watch the presentations from past meetings, look at how many we rejected and how we settled on this.

Also the programs you mention are still being utilized except habitat.

Respectfully,

maroon barchetta
But these properties still come off the tax rolls once the city owns them, correct?
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

But these properties still come off the tax rolls once the city owns them, correct?

Taxes are paid but capped based on affordability for the qualifying household.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.