College Station - Fiscal Matter(s)

11,406 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MsDoubleD81
Craig Regan 14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maroon

I cant tell if that is a sad face or eye roll

but either way - you wanna know how COCS got to where it is? That is how.
maroon barchetta
Sad face
woodiewood
Craig Regan 14 said:

EBrazosAg said:

What part of the debt service increase is due to rising interest rates ? What part of the debt is subject to interest rate increases in the next 1,2,5 and 10 yrs ?
Great question(s)!

The image above is from one of the most recent bonds issued. This reflects apart of the interest rate increase we saw come down from the Fed but we are about to issue $43m which blows right past staff projections of $25m in this years issuance.

Over half of that $43m is for infrastructure. See statement below and break down.

The rate COCS gets for these bonds will start to tell the tale of interest rate trend lines but I would expect something similar to last year. 4-5% with a TIC around 3.5% on average (TIC = true interest cost which is effected by inflation and other factors)

But to provide a direct answer - the debt service is a combined figure of principal and interest and clearly just based on using simple math of addition and subtraction the interest rate will gobble up more and more of that "debt service fund" line. Meaning the more debt we keep taking out the more funds will have to be dedicated to that one line item in the budget and correspondingly the 41% we currently pay on the tax rate.

That is broken down by I&S and O&M. I&S currently = ~41% and O&M 58%. That I&S (debt) part will have a larger and larger part of it due to interest. Which means less money to do other things with.

Thoughts? Hope I answered the question(s)
Good information to digest when I have more time.

My main comment would be due to the economiy many families making choices between food, housing costs,utilities, etc. I think that the city should for at least a few years minimize all discretionary spending on capital projects.

Many projects would be great but not essential to spend money on at this time.

As I have said for most of my life, we have a lot of wants, but very few needs.

My other main comment would be about the COCS spending habits is to eventually treat College Utilities fiscally as an indendent entitiy and not take money from utiity receipts and put in the general fund to address non-utility expenditures.

Craig Regan 14
If you remove

Police
Fire
Staff salaries

The city is +$13m in the general fund - with inflation adjusted for - +$20m if you take into account other discretionary items. This is each YEAR. Not "one time things"

Not to mention we spent $7m on a mall!! But when people talk about cutting taxes all of a sudden COCS is broke and cannot afford to do it

This is what happens when a single special interest group hijacks a city.
maroon barchetta
You are running or you are not running?
Craig Regan 14
oops...

missed one!

thank you
maroon barchetta
No worries. Thought maybe you changed your mind.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Wow, this election will be interesting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.