Bryan/ College Station in the 1990s..

13,078 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by UmustBKidding
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaronDeBishopville said:

It was in the Queen, not sure if it had a name. I saw Ian Moore there and had to move out to the sidewalk because it was too loud. like 11 loud.

Stafford Opera House in the old Dixie Theater where Grand Stafford is now. The Queen was never a live music venue.
BryanPooch
Fish Richard's
Pacific Coast Highway
Steak & Ale becoming Oxford Street
J. T. McCord's
Tokyo Steakhouse
Chelsea Street Station
Pelican's Wharf
The Shrimpboat
Little Blue Herron
Bullwinkles
Big Daddy's
Ferrerris
Interurban....became Frank's Bar & Grill (after it was on Harvey Rd)
Chun King
Julie's Place became Bombay Bicycle Club (now Denny's)
Casa Tomas
BryanPooch
FlyRod
Nipa Hot lives on in the Filipino place (Pinoy?) on Westgate. Same family.

I am curious now about how many other "heirs" to closed businesses there are here.
BlueMiles
AG
Someone in a thread thought that "China Garden" family were running the restaurant next to Zand's (Hometown?). Anybody know?
BaronDeBishopville
Since they're so close together it's possible I confused the two. I do remember it wasn't exactly a venue. I don't think there was any seating or stage, just a gutted out building. Actually wondered if it was "safe"
mgj.23
AG

mgj.23
AG
Pictures of fish Richard's, steak & ale, Tokyo steak house, pelicans wharf, Julie's place, and casa Tomas are in my book. The others I haven't found anything.
Barnyard96
AG
What was the radio station across the street?
JP76
It's going down big baby !!!!
mgj.23
AG
What?
EVA3
AG
phillytex24 said:

China Garden buffet, behind what is now the Walgreens at Texas/Villa Maria, had a sunken buffet with tiny cheese cake squares and the best egg rolls ever!

That building was originally one of the old style Mr. Gatti's with the lower level and the booths upstairs along the sides.
woodiewood
Goose83 said:

mgj.23 said:

Was originally Congdon's Bakery.

I liked Half Price when they were there as the building had a funky atmosphere which much added to the store (all used book stores should have a funky ambiance, imho).
Used to go there about once a week or so and did for old books that could not be found elsewhere. Similar to HPB's location in the Rice Village area in Houston. I love walking that two story bookstore looking for books. Is there another two story HPB anywhere?
phillytex24
FlyRod said:

Nipa Hot lives on in the Filipino place (Pinoy?) on Westgate. Same family.

I am curious now about how many other "heirs" to closed businesses there are here.

Yes! She sold the name to her competitor and the restaurant lives on there at Westgate as RR Pinoy & Thai Asian Cuisine. I recommended to her that she should change the name to Pinoy Hot!
phillytex24
EVA3 said:

phillytex24 said:

China Garden buffet, behind what is now the Walgreens at Texas/Villa Maria, had a sunken buffet with tiny cheese cake squares and the best egg rolls ever!

That building was originally one of the old style Mr. Gatti's with the lower level and the booths upstairs along the sides.

That was such a neat building!!! I never knew it was a Gattis!!!
BluHorseShu
AG
mgj.23 said:

Hey I know Doug Daiker. I used to love Snuffers when I lived in Dallas.
91_Aggie
AG
Snuffers... in the restaurant location that restaurants went to die.
We ate there once... burgers were so salty... and it was by design apparently
MiMi
S
91_Aggie said:

Cazadores was there after Snuffers and lasted quite a while. Loved their Mole Enchiladas Then it was an Italian restaurant (forget the name). Wasn't it then a chicken finger place before Torchy's?
91_Aggie
AG
MiMi said:

91_Aggie said:

Cazadores was there after Snuffers and lasted quite a while. Loved their Mole Enchiladas Then it was an Italian restaurant (forget the name). Wasn't it then a chicken finger place before Torchy's?
ill-fated Fowl Digits venture that had some relation to people from Texags
mgj.23
AG

JP76
Bullwinkles commercial from the 1990's
FlyRod
Clay Oven, excellent Indian restaurant with a great atmosphere. Came and left too quickly.
AggiePhil
AG
MiMi said:

91_Aggie said:

Fontana's was the Italian place.
mgj.23
AG

AggiePhil
AG
Interesting so I guess it was named Fontana's twice? Cause the period I'm thinking about was in the mid 2000s.
PS3D
AggiePhil said:

Interesting so I guess it was named Fontana's twice? Cause the period I'm thinking about was in the mid 2000s.
That's correct.
Belton Ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

I got here in '96 and it wasn't ever named Fontana's after that from what I remember.

Between that and the building next door where Cane's stands now I can remember Snuffers, El Arroyo, Cazador's, Wings N More, Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas, and Fowl Digits. I just don't remember what order or which building.
PS3D
Belton Ag said:

AggiePhil said:

I got here in '96 and it wasn't ever named Fontana's after that from what I remember.

Between that and the building next door where Cane's stands now I can remember Snuffers, El Arroyo, Cazador's, Wings N More, Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas, and Fowl Digits. I just don't remember what order or which building.
It was Fontana's in '11.
Belton Ag
AG
Interesting. I lived in Belton from October'10 to January of '12. They must have come and gone during that time because I definitely didn't remember that.
EBrazosAg
AG
Its always been the old "Mommas Pizza" to me -that's what it was my whole 4 years in college.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nos7610
Where was the original location for Jason's Deli?
AggiePhil
AG
Beaumont
PS3D
nos7610 said:

Where was the original location for Jason's Deli
I seem to remember it was on the other side of the strip center and that it was left alone when the rest of the strip center came down around it. The building where Boot Barn is now is the only building from the original strip center, though the facade was redone.
AggiePhil
AG
Prior to the major remodel, Copy Corner was on the north end, then Jason's Deli, then Academy on the south end. With a few other businesses in there too. Academy moved to SH6 (which they've since vacated) and Jason's moved down to the southern end. A gas station was on the corner where Panda Express now sits.
UmustBKidding
Bring back Gibson's

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.