Bryan/ College Station in the 1990s..

13,079 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by UmustBKidding
cj774
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to that one as well growing up.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Anyone have a picture of Mama's Pizza?
Belton Ag
AG
BaronDeBishopville said:

Vince Vinzant was the one I knew
Now that you mention it, I think his name was AC Vinzant.
mgj.23
AG
I have a picture of the building but not when it was mamas pizza
BaronDeBishopville
yeah it was AC. We went to the same church and he and my dad were good friends. My dad called him Vince. I called him Mr. Vinzant. Really nice man
Maedan86
AG
Casa Tomas. Great happy Hours!
Danvers on Domink where you could get a baked potatoe with your Hamburger instead of fries.
Pizza Planet where Amico Nave was
mgj.23
AG
I Have pictures of casa Tomas and Danvers in my book!
Buford T. Justice
AG
Apple Tree grocery store.
Fajita Rita's and Garcias were LEGIT.
Freebirds pre-sale
Fish Daddy's
Somerville Steakhouse
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
skeetboy3
AG
woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

Any chance that you have a picture of the old Academy? There was a barber shop next door as well. It was in the center on the corner of Texas and George Bush.

Wasn't there a used bookstore on the end closest to George Bush?

IIRC, Jasons Deli was located initially on the north end of the shopping center then moved to the south end.
The bookstore was in the old post C.S. post office building.
the bookstore was between the time of the post office and copy corner I believe. Was a cool shopping center over the years, had the Zip'n, the CanBank (automatic can recycling), Academy, Burnett and Son at various times.
skeetboy3
AG
Old school favorites:
Safety City
Poohs Park
Oxford St
Wyatt's (Sporting goods and cafe separately)
Woolworth's
Lowes were the bowling alley is now. You can still see some of the lumber racks at the back of the parking lot.
Swensens
Fajita Rita's
The Porsche/VW dealership that turned into El Chico
Soundwaves
Bonfire on Jersey
Free DQ horseshoe tickets for footbal
Egg Roll House (always thought it was a front)
Lake Arsenic
Sneakers
Sundance Club
Hall of Fame
Bullwinkles
Mama's Pizza
Cafeteria style food at the MSC and the gun museum that I'd scarf my food down so I could hang out in while my family finished their food Sunday after church.
Bryan Municipal and Bluebonnet golf courses.
Ramada Inn versions 1-3.

Sadly, Texas Coin Exchange and Julie's Place
And who could forget Adult Video being at the most prominent intersection.
EVA3
AG
Belton Ag said:

regularjoe said:

Any chance that you have a picture of the old Academy? There was a barber shop next door as well. It was in the center on the corner of Texas and George Bush.
That was my barber shop for years. You had Leonard, Dan, John and a couple others whose names I don't recall. I remember trying to convince them come with us down to South Padre for spring break.
Roy and A.C.
mgj.23
AG

mgj.23
AG
You should check out my book! Lots of pictures you can't find anywhere else.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-pictorial-history-of-bryan-college-station-michael-gomez/1145300812
MiMi
S
I moved here in 1990. Other businesses I haven't seen posted:

Cazadores (when it closed it was then an Italian restaurant, can't recall the name) , other businesses included Snuffers, the chicken finger place, and now Torchys. Before Cazadores, I believe it was a Chinese restaurant? But I may have gotten the chronological order wrong.
El Chico at Texas and Holleman. Before El Chico, there was a bar at that location in the very early 1990's, but I can't remember the name. It was a name similar to the Cheer's tv show.
Kerry's Stacked Enchiladas
Olive Garden (at its original location). Not sure when it first opened. I know it burned down 2004ish.
Red Lobster (at its original location) (now Lupe Tortilla).
Remedies (on Hwy 60 near the airport).
La Taqueria and the original Cafe Eccell
The 2 Chinese restaurants on Texas and Brentwood ( now Walgreens and a pawn shop).
murphyag
AG
Fajita Ritas, Burger Boy, Cow Hop, Deluxe Diner, Oxford Street, Ken Martins, Double Daves on Northgate,
Flying Tomato, Sundance, Bombay Bicycle Club,
woodiewood
skeetboy3 said:

woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

IIRC, Jasons Deli was located initially on the north end of the shopping center then moved to the south end.
the bookstore was between the time of the post office and copy corner I believe. Was a cool shopping center over the years, had the Zip'n, the CanBank (automatic can recycling), Academy, Burnett and Son at various times.
That's correct. I went to the bookstore about once a week. Wasn't much choice back then. Hastings and B/N didn't exist here back then.

TXAG 05
AG
MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

Wasn't the barber shop actually in the front of the Academy, or am I remembering that wrong? I remember the used book store and I think there was a gas station also at the corner of Bush and Texas where the Panda Express building is
halibut sinclair
mgj.23 said:

You should check out my book! Lots of pictures you can't find anywhere else.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-pictorial-history-of-bryan-college-station-michael-gomez/1145300812

Can you only order online, or is it in the store?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Big Daddy's not Fish Daddy's
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
91_Aggie
AG
skeetboy3 said:

woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

It also had the biggest local computer store at the time... was it called Computer Access? think it.moved there after they torn down original building that was where the parking lot for Barnes & Noble/Office Depot

Rapier108
91_Aggie said:

skeetboy3 said:

woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

It also had the biggest local computer store at the time... was it called Computer Access? think it.moved there after they torn down original building that was where the parking lot for Barnes & Noble/Office Depot
Correct on both. Ended up being shut down by the government for not paying taxes IIRC.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
agfan2013
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

mgj.23 said:

The infamous (or famous) yellow gravy.

That and those awesome bread rolls. Would love to find a recipe that can get close on both. The few yellow gravy recipes I've googled arent it, rolls probably werent too complicated.

My family went to Fajita Ritas a lot. Luby's, Old Country Buffett, C&J's on Harvey when it was still a gas station.
Goose83
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

Big Daddy's not Fish Daddy's
I don't really care fthat much or catfish, but I theirs I could eat.

Great place (until they lost their liquor license, and that was that).
Goose83
AG
woodiewood said:

skeetboy3 said:

woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

That's correct. I went to the bookstore about once a week. Wasn't much choice back then. Hastings and B/N didn't exist here back then.

The Culpepper Plaza Hastings opened back in the late 70's.
MiMi
S
I loved going to the Culpepper Plaza Hastings on Friday evenings. You were greeted at the door by an employee next to a beer keg. They would hand you a cup of beer to drink while deciding which VHS movies you wanted to rent for the weekend.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Pelican's Wharf and Monterey House
and Cenare's
FlyRod
Frank's Bar & Grill, displaced by Fox & Hound.
MsC2012
AG
Mazzio's Pizza is a childhood memory!
mgj.23
AG
You can only order online. I have a few pictures from my book here:

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3456989
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Frank's Bar & Grill, displaced by Fox & Hound.

Thre first Frank's in Woodstone was much better.
91_Aggie
AG
Rapier108 said:

91_Aggie said:

skeetboy3 said:

woodiewood said:

MiMi said:

regularjoe said:

Correct on both. Ended up being shut down by the government for not paying taxes IIRC.

Yeah, I remember the last owner of it, things got a little shifty with the business.
91_Aggie
AG
On Harvey there was some bar and grill that had a sand volleyball pit... I think it was in vicinity of across from oaks parks... they had jello wrestling one night... got to see a boob out in the wild
mgj.23
AG
Sneakers
EclipseAg
AG
For a fancy meal (fancy for a college student), we would go to Interurban.

I got engaged at Cenare's. That was a long time ago ...
mgj.23
AG
You can kind of see it behind this police cruiser

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.