Roofer recommendations

4,105 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Txmoe
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just make sure they don't shoot your gas line, freon line, pex line or electrical wires that are too close to the decking. Also check all natural gas vents in the attic when done as they often end up disconnected dumping carbon monoxide in the attic or touching the attic decking which is no bueno.
JP76
CS78 said:

Ive had two roofs done in the last month. Smaller 3/2 houses with garage. Right at $5000 each. The roofers know what the insurance companies will pay and it would have been $15,000+ each if i filed them as storm damage and went with a big company. Meanwhile my rates would have gone up. And Id be lucky to not get canceled. It's all a racket.

How many squares ?

I have personally never seen 200% margin on a roof insurance job especially on a smaller house.
JP76
oldyeller said:

I'm in need of a new roof on my house in Bryan, and some of the decking may also need to be repaired/replaced, along with adding another vent.

Seeking recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Get quotes from these roofers
Be up front and tell them you are paying cash with no insurance involved

Bob Santini

Stellar roofing

Jay Rudder

Quesila Lopez

Clucky
Browning Roofing - great guy https://browningroofs.com/
skeetboy3
AG
Second Bob Santini. Great man
Jason_InfinityRoofer
histag10 said:

Random question for you- have you seen an uptick in denials and having to go to PA and litigation lately? I'd say probably 1/3 or more of the files my husband has right now are in PA or litigation (some are blatantly obvious hail damage from recent storms where every other home on the block is getting bought)
Yes. They are getting stingy, but in my markets, there isn't a lot of room for denial with the storms I'm working. That said, depending on where your husband is working, and how much his workload is, it could certainly appear that there is a lot of denials. Are all of those problem files in a certain city? A certain carrier? It stinks to go through the appraisal process, but he should be getting paid more by the time it's done, so that's nice.

I am very transparent about roof condition. If it's not a good claim, I don't encourage it. If it is, then we make a claim and we get it done. If the carrier denies it, then I am justified in using every legal method in my toolbox until they give up and do their job for a homeowner.

One thing I am seeing is flipping of policies to ACV (customers sign renewals and don't read fine print), blatant missing of line items on estimates, and denials of luxury roofing, cosmetic exclusion of metals/gutters. Impact resistant shingles are starting to be a target for denials.
histag10
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

histag10 said:

Random question for you- have you seen an uptick in denials and having to go to PA and litigation lately? I'd say probably 1/3 or more of the files my husband has right now are in PA or litigation (some are blatantly obvious hail damage from recent storms where every other home on the block is getting bought)
Yes. They are getting stingy, but in my markets, there isn't a lot of room for denial with the storms I'm working. That said, depending on where your husband is working, and how much his workload is, it could certainly appear that there is a lot of denials. Are all of those problem files in a certain city? A certain carrier? It stinks to go through the appraisal process, but he should be getting paid more by the time it's done, so that's nice.

I am very transparent about roof condition. If it's not a good claim, I don't encourage it. If it is, then we make a claim and we get it done. If the carrier denies it, then I am justified in using every legal method in my toolbox until they give up and do their job for a homeowner.

One thing I am seeing is flipping of policies to ACV (customers sign renewals and don't read fine print), blatant missing of line items on estimates, and denials of luxury roofing, cosmetic exclusion of metals/gutters. Impact resistant shingles are starting to be a target for denials.

My husband is the same way. He would rather give a homeowner a "clean bill of health" than talk them into a claim when he knows their roof is fine. Just hopes they keep him in mind when they DO need a new roof.

Most of the denials are with 2 specific carriers and are pretty much all over the Houston area, not a specific town. He even had one in Bellville get denied when there was considerable interior and exterior damage after that bad storm. One carrier has resorted to "we sent this to an engineering firm and they determined those specific hail hits were not from this storm".

He does have a considerable amount of workload in progress right now, but across the board with his company, they have 2 or 3 specific carriers in the Houston area that are denying almost everything.

And yes- he is having to supplement almost everything (2 carriers are weirdly accurate most of the time), and then occasionally fight on the supplements- specifically new decking and code upgrade when it's listed in the policy.

Jason_InfinityRoofer
Yeah, i have a denial in Houston now, and I had them back in 2016. I think that's just what Houston market does sometimes. The hail storms are not always widespread or devastating and carriers send new adjusters, inspectors, and engineers out that simply don't know what they are doing. A lot of these carriers are perpetually involved with lawsuits and for good reason. Shoot me a text, I have a contact you might be able to use.
oldyeller
AG
CS78 said:

Ive got some guys that can do it for well less than half the price of the big companies. Same workers, same materials. Extremely trustworthy and reliable but its cash, no insurance, etc.

Post your contact if youd like their info.
Thanks, I'd appreciate their info. You can send that to:

beginwithwonder

at

gmail
Doug Funny
Jay Rudder.
Quality
Value
Damned honest
Fine person
Txmoe
AG
DeBakey Roofing has been great to work with. They've done several roofs in our neighborhood and they always do a good job.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.