Roofer recommendations

4,068 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Txmoe
oldyeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in need of a new roof on my house in Bryan, and some of the decking may also need to be repaired/replaced, along with adding another vent.

Seeking recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
halibut sinclair
Call CP Wade with Hargrove Roofing.

9 7 9

5 8 7

1 0 2 4
tu ag
AG
Lonestar Roof Systems.
Luke and Kurt are great guys. Aggies. Christians.
https://lonestarroofsystems.com/
SCHTICK00
AG
Stay away from anyone that says they'll do it for whatever your insurance quote is. They're the same as a car salesman asking you where you need your payment to be as opposed to discussing actual price. My experience is most roofers are just brokers that markup 100%.
techno-ag
AG
Big fan of United. At least get a bid and talk with them.
histag10
AG
My husband.

Scott Merrill with Holden Roofing

832-471-9680
histag10
AG
selk
AG
Call Adam Dodson 1 (979 ) 219 -1077
UmustBKidding
Jay rudder
dylan
Highly highly recommend Stinson and Stinson. They do excellent work and are local. The best.
legalbird
Many of the roofers simply use different crews. I have even seen crews drive in from Houston.
aggies4life
AG
Basically just sub it out?
histag10
AG
Kind of. Roofing crews don't generally have the relationships with the suppliers or want to deal with that aspect. So roofing companies have crews that they use for installs. My husband works for Holden, the crews they use exclusively contract for Holden, but are not Holden employees. As far as the relationship with suppliers- when there was a shingle shortage a year or so ago, Holden was able to get colors other people weren't because they are preferred vendors with Owen's Corning.

As far as them coming in from Houston- there aren't many roofing crews here in BCS. Even the larger companies here will use crews out of Houston.

Edit- right after a storm, you will see a lot of "fly by nught" roofers (what my husband calls them). People who get an LLC, and decide they will go try their hand as a roofer. What you have to worry about with a lot of companies is that they can't find a crew to actually do the work, or they can't get priority for materials- so you could be waiting for a long LONG time for them to actually do your roof- and by that point they may no longer be in business and somehow convinced you to give them your first insurance check.

Find a company that doesn't require payment until "Roof Day", and check their LLC to make sure they have been around more than a year (many will claim 5-10 years experience, but not with their own company). Also ask about their insurance coverage, should something go wrong. Legit companies will have a large umbrella policy to cover any damages.
maddiedou
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

Stay away from anyone that says they'll do it for whatever your insurance quote is. They're the same as a car salesman asking you where you need your payment to be as opposed to discussing actual price. My experience is most roofers are just brokers that markup 100%.

This is not true. The 80s and 90s are gone The roofer is trying to make as much money as he can and he is also on your side most of the time

The reason the roofer is wanting your insurance is so that he does not leave money on the table and also so that he can see if insurance guy missed anything

You have to submit invoice to the insurance company when job is finished well in my experience anyway and then they will write remaining check for the amount the roofer invoiced

You cannot make money on insurance roofs anymore
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
With that said
I do like Jay Rudder

I also like Stinson and Stinson. I think they are more experienced with the insurance side of it

I have numbers for both and can answer maybe some questions before they get there if you need any guidance

Eight. Two. o
l87o
maddiedou
cajunken
Just had our roof replaced last month, and we are very pleased with Aggieland Roofing (The Roofer Girl). The crew left our yard clean and they ran magnets around the yard several times. I only found one nail in a potted plant and one in a birdbath.
JMac03
AG
We used Stellar Roofing and Scott and his crew are fantastic.
CS78
Ive got some guys that can do it for well less than half the price of the big companies. Same workers, same materials. Extremely trustworthy and reliable but its cash, no insurance, etc.

Post your contact if youd like their info.
histag10
AG
JMac03 said:

We used Stellar Roofing and Scott and his crew are fantastic.

We had our roof replaced by Stellar before my husband changed jobs. They did a good job.
SCHTICK00
AG
It's not about making money or avoiding deductible, it's about the scam that is insurance and industries that exploit it like medical and roofing. Everyone pays higher insurance rates while hospitals and contractors operate on insane margins. We just accept it because it's part of insurance so price doesn't matter. It's a racket
maddiedou
AG
Well then I agree with what your saying

My wife was gonna have some kind of test done and her part of the deductible thru insurance was 1000. Something

But to pay it outright was 4-500 for the same procedure
maddiedou
CS78
Ive had two roofs done in the last month. Smaller 3/2 houses with garage. Right at $5000 each. The roofers know what the insurance companies will pay and it would have been $15,000+ each if i filed them as storm damage and went with a big company. Meanwhile my rates would have gone up. And Id be lucky to not get canceled. It's all a racket.
SCHTICK00
AG
Exactly. We had hail damage and the insurance estimate was ridiculously high. Over 3 times the cost of the roof back in 2013. 3 roofing companies quoted, we'll do it for your insurance estimate and talked about law and blah blah blah. I found the company that first put our roof on and got a labor quote for removal, install and disposal. Then I got a materials quote with delivery and all in it was less than half of insurance. We still went through insurance and paid our deductible but the roofing brokers didn't walk away with 15k do do absolutely nothing more than schedule one sub and material delivery
legalbird
CS78, question.

On the 3/2 house for $5000, about how many square feet is the house?

That will kind of help me figure out how much my roof cost would be.
histag10
AG
They can't raise your rates for an act of God claim, nor can they cancel your policy for making an act of God claim (which is what wind and hail are).
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Summary: when using insurance, or not, you should focus on the MOST QUALIFIED roofer, not the cheapest one. There are a lot of good recommendations on this thread. I'd suggest using one.

First, I'm responding to your post but not "you". This is general "you". This topic comes up frequently.

Bear in mind that Many folks don't understand how insurance works. It's the project manager's job to explain that. If the roofing "dude" just scheduled materials and subs then you need a better project manager because there is far more to it than that. I handle everything from inspections, contracts, materials, educating homeowners on multiple brands and products, technology, managing crews, install day, material shortages, homeowner issues, billing, invoicing, adjuster meetings, supplements, all the way to litigation if a customer doesn't get what they are owed. If you didn't get upgraded shingles, hip and ridge, underlayment, manufacturer warranties etc, at a MINIMUM, they didn't do their job for you. When you cut out the roofing company, you also cut out your warranties, expose yourself to liability (I carry $2 Million) and you are at the mercy of the crew to fix issues if you can even get a hold of them. That crew is contracted by a roofing company, and when I have them busy for 6 days a week, guess where your roof issues falls on their priority list…probably 7 months from now. Why take that risk? You paid the same. Your insurance got a deal and you got shorted.

Folks can do it your way to be sure. The insurance company prefers it because it saves THEM $$$$$. You paid more for less. That's why they want you to get estimates, so they can get out of paying full price.

You paid your deductible and got a basic install instead of paying your deductible and getting a top grade install. That's fine if that's what makes you happy but I'm personally not interested in saving my carrier a penny. My homeowners pay a ton for their premiums and they want their pound of flesh in top grade materials when it's time to pay the piper.

When my truck got damaged, Geico wrote me a nifty check for $2,000 then they said they had "a guy". That "guy" magically could do the work for less than 2,000. Guess what…I don't want some "guy" to work on my Ford truck for pennies on the dollar. It goes to mother Ford and their estimate was nearly DOUBLE at $3800. It costs me the same $500 whether it's done cheaply and poorly, or expensive and nice. Ford made it look brand new and insurance ate every stinking penny of it. I hope Ford made a killing. I hope they overcharged Geico. Either way, I don't care, my truck looks awesome.

Treat your roof the same way. It's about the most important part of your home.
BrazosBull
AG
Another vote for Jay Rudder
oldyeller
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. I suppose I should note that my insurance is NOT paying for this, though they are insisting I replace the roof to maintain coverage, but it's all coming out of my pocket, so that is going to impact my decision here.
histag10
AG
Then get quotes from multiple people! Write down exactly what you want done, and have multiple companies quote you on that. The prices will differ, and if they are all reputable companies then there isn't much downside.
meinkee
Jason Storm just roofed our home. His crew did a great job and I highly recommend him.
tbone94
AG
Jay Rudder
Rudder Construction
SCHTICK00
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

Summary: when using insurance, or not, you should focus on the MOST QUALIFIED roofer, not the cheapest one. There are a lot of good recommendations on this thread. I'd suggest using one.

First, I'm responding to your post but not "you". This is general "you". This topic comes up frequently.

Bear in mind that Many folks don't understand how insurance works. It's the project manager's job to explain that. If the roofing "dude" just scheduled materials and subs then you need a better project manager because there is far more to it than that. I handle everything from inspections, contracts, materials, educating homeowners on multiple brands and products, technology, managing crews, install day, material shortages, homeowner issues, billing, invoicing, adjuster meetings, supplements, all the way to litigation if a customer doesn't get what they are owed. If you didn't get upgraded shingles, hip and ridge, underlayment, manufacturer warranties etc, at a MINIMUM, they didn't do their job for you. When you cut out the roofing company, you also cut out your warranties, expose yourself to liability (I carry $2 Million) and you are at the mercy of the crew to fix issues if you can even get a hold of them. That crew is contracted by a roofing company, and when I have them busy for 6 days a week, guess where your roof issues falls on their priority list…probably 7 months from now. Why take that risk? You paid the same. Your insurance got a deal and you got shorted.

Folks can do it your way to be sure. The insurance company prefers it because it saves THEM $$$$$. You paid more for less. That's why they want you to get estimates, so they can get out of paying full price.

You paid your deductible and got a basic install instead of paying your deductible and getting a top grade install. That's fine if that's what makes you happy but I'm personally not interested in saving my carrier a penny. My homeowners pay a ton for their premiums and they want their pound of flesh in top grade materials when it's time to pay the piper.

When my truck got damaged, Geico wrote me a nifty check for $2,000 then they said they had "a guy". That "guy" magically could do the work for less than 2,000. Guess what…I don't want some "guy" to work on my Ford truck for pennies on the dollar. It goes to mother Ford and their estimate was nearly DOUBLE at $3800. It costs me the same $500 whether it's done cheaply and poorly, or expensive and nice. Ford made it look brand new and insurance ate every stinking penny of it. I hope Ford made a killing. I hope they overcharged Geico. Either way, I don't care, my truck looks awesome.

Treat your roof the same way. It's about the most important part of your home.

I didn't go to Dollar General to get materials. Your insinuation that anyone buying their own materials gets less quality than what you are selling is wrong. And as to the pound of flesh extracted from insurance carriers. Your take is that justice is served by the homeowner paying a multi thousand dollar deductible while the contractor enjoys a 100% margin? I've been paying the premiums for decades and the roofer gets the pound of flesh. Somehow that doesn't make me feel better. I guarantee that once insurance stops covering roofs, prices will drop 30% or more.
histag10
AG
It's not a 100% margin (in fact, look at your insurance quote. It has labor and profit built in, and that is what the roofing company has to honor (assuming the insuramce company used the correct amount per their own guidelines)), and not getting a warranty is getting a lesser product (and not knowing which line items may be missing is also getting a lesser product).

Edit- but man.... I wish it were a 100% margin. We would be living a life of pure luxury if that were the case.
histag10
AG
Random question for you- have you seen an uptick in denials and having to go to PA and litigation lately? I'd say probably 1/3 or more of the files my husband has right now are in PA or litigation (some are blatantly obvious hail damage from recent storms where every other home on the block is getting bought)
SCHTICK00
AG
histag10 said:

It's not a 100% margin (in fact, look at your insurance quote. It has labor and profit built in, and that is what the roofing company has to honor (assuming the insuramce company used the correct amount per their own guidelines)), and not getting a warranty is getting a lesser product (and not knowing which line items may be missing is also getting a lesser product).

Edit- but man.... I wish it were a 100% margin. We would be living a life of pure luxury if that were the case.

Insurance numbers are irrelevant. I know what the costs are and the quotes I received were over double that amount. Warranty is irrelevant when I can buy 2+ for the amount I was quoted for 1. Hospital billing makes the same arguments you're making
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.