Rain total shout out

29,286 Views | 257 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by FlyRod
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I had 7" in my rain gauge in Castlegate at 6pm. It didn't start raining until about 2:45pm.
Hornbeck
AG
Enron Building looking kinda beat up….
doubledog
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I don't wanna hear about Aggie dome for a year.
The dome giveth and taketh away...
TyHolden
AG
anybody have any idea how 290 to Houston looks? I need to run to the medical center in about 30 minutes.
Trenchant
AG
5 more inches yesterday in King Oaks. That brings us to ~17 inches over the past 3 weeks, most of that falling on 3 separate days.
doubledog
TyHolden said:

anybody have any idea how 290 to Houston looks? I need to run to the medical center in about 30 minutes.
Drive texas says it is not closed.

https://drivetexas.org/?ch=C&ll=-96.2715,30.5478&z=9
maroon barchetta
Does the medical center have power?
75AG
AG
I would imagine the entire medical center has backup generators.
maroon barchetta
I'm not sure you understand what all gets powered by backup generators.

Hint: it's usually not everything.
75AG
AG
Let me restate it more succinctly: the entire TMC has backup power. This from my brother who is with Centerpoint Energy
EliteElectric
75AG said:

I would imagine the entire medical center has backup generators.
Allison changed a lot, HMC is now one of the most heavily protected, backup up and redundantly powered places on planet earth.
maroon barchetta
Backup power is not usually set up to run EVERYTHING in a large building. Just critical systems.

And good for your brother working for Centerpoint. I thought they just did transmission and distribution. I didn't realize they were in the backup power business for the TMC. I didn't notice a huge bank of emergency generators at TECO when I looked down into their plant from the Mays Clinic last time I was there.
75AG
AG
Nm.
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

Backup power is not usually set up to run EVERYTHING in a large building. Just critical systems.

And good for your brother working for Centerpoint. I thought they just did transmission and distribution. I didn't realize they were in the backup power business for the TMC. I didn't notice a huge bank of emergency generators at TECO when I looked down into their plant from the Mays Clinic last time I was there.
the gensets are on the 4160v and 12.5kv systems and housed at 1615 Braeswood in the Paul Bell energy plant which houses several medium voltage sets and chillers and boilers which provide hydronic cooling and heating to the TMC
maroon barchetta
How many megawatts can they produce and what is their fuel source?

Did your Google provide that info?
JMac03
AG
Finally ordered a rain guage.
TyHolden
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Does the medical center have power?

No issues. Saw power lines mangled around 290 and 610. Lots of debris near Rice area houses. I'm sure this ruined tea time. Lights out so not all power restored but medical center seems fine.

And Buccees in Waller seemed untouched. Iron fortress.
scd88
AG
JMac03 said:

Finally ordered a rain guage.

Great. Now you have ensured the rains will stop.
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

How many megawatts can they produce and what is their fuel source?

Did your Google provide that info?
I didn't google it I worked on that facility, I had to google the address though since it was 2009 the last time I worked on it.

Nice smugness though
maroon barchetta
Let me ask again and expand on the question.

How many megawatts can that facility produce?

What is the fuel source?

Running at normal operating capacity, what are the power demands in megawatts of the TMC?
Independence H-D
How is this relevant?
Independence H-D
Yesterday's rain event although heavy is certainly not unprecedented. I have serious concerns about the drainage capability in the new construction area on wellborn road. There were places up to the floorboards on my truck. That was about 4:00 p.m. We got a lot more rain after that. If we get a serious rainfall event there are going to be major issues there.
EliteElectric
No clue, I was working on control systems for the 4160v starters on the chillers at the time. It's not pertinent to me, when I was working there the facility guys said "all of this was added after Allison to make sure the dewatering pumps and buildings stay up during a major event" and that's good enough for me. Had I known it was going to be critical info to someone arguing on Texags 15 years later maybe I would have asked those questions. What I do know is several hurricanes and tropical storms have come through since Allison and whatever fuel and megawatts they are using and producing at Paul Bell must be working because TMC has been ok ever since those upgrades.
maroon barchetta
It's just math.

If the normal daily megawatt requirement of the TMC isn't met by the available output made by the facility that Elite referenced, it's not "totally backed up my emergency power generation".

That's why I'm asking.
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

It's just math.

If the normal daily megawatt requirement of the TMC isn't met by the available output made by the facility that Elite referenced, it's not "totally backed up my emergency power generation".

That's why I'm asking.
Just looked it up on the US Energy Atlas

Primary gensets within 2 miles of TMC

Plant Code
Plant Name
TECO CHP-1
Utility Name
Texas Medical Center Central
Utility ID
Sector Name
Commercial CHP
City
Houston
County
Harris
State
Texas
Primary Source
Natural Gas
Source Desc
Natural Gas = 47 MW
Technology
Natural Gas Fired Combustion Turbine
Total Nameplate Capacity
Total Net Summer Capacity
Period

Secondary Methodist has it's own

Plant Code
Plant Name
The Methodist Hospital, Gas Turbine
Utility Name
The Methodist Hospital
Utility ID
Sector Name
Commercial CHP
City
Houston
County
Harris
State
Texas
Primary Source
Natural Gas
Source Desc
Natural Gas = 3 MW
Technology
Natural Gas Fired Combustion Turbine
Total Nameplate Capacity
Total Net Summer Capacity
Period

The backup 12.5 Paul Bell sets are not listed, but 12.5 sets are typically 1-5 MW (3-15mw at 4160) and I do not know how many they have but I presume they would be natural gas or co-gen as well. The fact that there are 3 power plants (Rice has there own) and a backup facility within 2 miles of TMC I would say it's pretty well backed up and covered.
maroon barchetta
Thanks for the info. I hope there is a lot more capacity than what is shown. That's enough to run life safety systems but those TMC buildings are power hogs. It would take a lot to run everything they normally need.

Rice might be able to make all their own power if they are generating. It's not a big campus. But I don't know that and don't know if they are allowed to put excess into the grid. And I don't recall if their plant makes electricity or just heating and cooling.

3MW of backup at Methodist is a nice amount but elevators, fire pump, heating and cooling pumps, ICU/CCU equipment, OR and ER needs, MRI/PET/CT, radiation therapy machines, and lighting for that amount of square footage, freezers for whatever samples or cadavers or recently deceased people, and then all of the food service needs and laundry needs - their laundry and kitchen facilities are big.

Hospitals need a lot of juice. That many in a small area, I could see 100MW being needed. Anderson is massive. Hermann is also really large. The medical schools. Texas Childrens, Ben Taub…

A "heat map" of power usage inside the loop would actually be pretty cool (pun intended).
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

Thanks for the info. I hope there is a lot more capacity than what is shown. That's enough to run life safety systems but those TMC buildings are power hogs. It would take a lot to run everything they normally need.

Rice might be able to make all their own power if they are generating. It's not a big campus. But I don't know that and don't know if they are allowed to put excess into the grid. And I don't recall if their plant makes electricity or just heating and cooling.

3MW of backup at Methodist
is a nice amount but elevators, fire pump, heating and cooling pumps, ICU/CCU equipment, OR and ER needs, MRI/PET/CT, radiation therapy machines, and lighting for that amount of square footage, freezers for whatever samples or cadavers or recently deceased people, and then all of the food service needs and laundry needs - their laundry and kitchen facilities are big.

Hospitals need a lot of juice. That many in a small area, I could see 100MW being needed. Anderson is massive. Hermann is also really large. The medical schools. Texas Childrens, Ben Taub…

A "heat map" of power usage inside the loop would actually be pretty cool (pun intended).
those are plants not backups I listed, looks like full connected load and demand is 50 ish MW, the rub here is transmission voltage, if the plants are putting out 4160 then 3 backup gensets running 5mw @12.5kv would supply the whole med center are sufficiently.
maroon barchetta
Full demand of the entire TMC is 50MW?
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

Full demand of the entire TMC is 50MW?
that what it appears to be, full summer capacity of the 2 plants feeding it are 50mw so you know actual use is 60-80% of that so actually connected load is probably closer to 35mw. For comparison ELGS 1 which feeds 500k people and LAX is only 100mw
Decay
AG
This was the culvert behind the Holiday Inn Express across 6 down university.

During the rain and this morning.
EliteElectric
I wonder if that homeless guy that lives under the Hwy 60 bridge is in Cayman by now?
EBrazosAg
AG
5.34 in 30 at Navasota River
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oklaunion
EliteElectric said:

I wonder if that homeless guy that lives under the Hwy 60 bridge is in Cayman by now?
You gave me a good laugh.
Independence H-D
oklaunion said:

EliteElectric said:

Anybody know anything about the person living in a small tent next to koppe bridge road? Because of the detour I now drive by it everyday. Very curious. Have seen a guy around the tent once and at one point in time I saw a vehicle beside it with a couple of people talking to the guy.

Anybody know anything about the situation?
maroon barchetta
Independence H-D said:

oklaunion said:

EliteElectric said:

Anybody know anything about the person living in a small tent next to koppe bridge road? Because of the detour I now drive by it everyday. Very curious. Have seen a guy around the tent once and at one point in time I saw a vehicle beside it with a couple of people talking to the guy.

Anybody know anything about the situation?

Last year there was a red tent of some sort closer to the road and more centered along the front of the property. A guy in an older Suburban would be there sometimes. But not always. The tent would fall down and he would repair it and stay there and then be gone again.

Then last fall an older woman and two dogs were in the green tent you see now. The guy with the Suburban didn't have his tent there anymore but I saw him checking on her and the dogs.

When the freeze happened in the winter, she and the dogs were outside. Someone was checking on her and I passed by once and saw a Sheriff vehicle there and a deputy checking on the dogs. Didn't see her but was just passing by.

Haven't seen her or the dogs since then. The tent is still there. It falls down and someone keeps putting it back up.

I haven't figured out what the dynamic is on that property. When I first passed by there 20 years ago there a dilapidated house where that old chimney sits and a Chow tied to a tree or a stake or something nearby. There was an old lady living in that old house.

The people next door put up a spite fence so they didn't have to look at it anymore.

The guy on the other side seems to be thinning out the large collection of old washers and dryers and refrigerators and such.

It's an odd spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.