Asking a 3rd time? CSISD School Board Approves A Third Attempt To...

55,749 Views | 524 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by welborn
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

wasntme said:

doubledog said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
For one thing, I have always been told no means no. Am I wrong?
Then continue to vote 'no', that is your prerogative.
However, the need for the upgrades are definitely warranted.
Hopefully the school board can educate the citizens, such as yourself, that these needs are warranted and they are not building the "Taj Mahal".

Why do we have elections, if the CSISD ignores the results?

That is my problem. We cannot keep having elections until someone on the CSISD get what they want. No means no...
That's not the way it works though. No meant no the last election. The next election may yield a yes. That's America.
So how many times do we vote on this?? Twice is not enough? No means no, until it doesn't?
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

wasntme said:

doubledog said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
For one thing, I have always been told no means no. Am I wrong?
Then continue to vote 'no', that is your prerogative.
However, the need for the upgrades are definitely warranted.
Hopefully the school board can educate the citizens, such as yourself, that these needs are warranted and they are not building the "Taj Mahal".

Why do we have elections, if the CSISD ignores the results?

That is my problem. We cannot keep having elections until someone on the CSISD get what they want. No means no...
That's not the way it works though. No meant no the last election. The next election may yield a yes. That's America.
So how many times do we vote on this?? Twice is not enough? No means no, until it doesn't?
Surely the administration would not press the issue if they did not think there is a need. That's their job, to take care of the schools. I would expect them to fulfill their duties to the best of their abilities.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

wasntme said:

doubledog said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
For one thing, I have always been told no means no. Am I wrong?
Then continue to vote 'no', that is your prerogative.
However, the need for the upgrades are definitely warranted.
Hopefully the school board can educate the citizens, such as yourself, that these needs are warranted and they are not building the "Taj Mahal".

Why do we have elections, if the CSISD ignores the results?

That is my problem. We cannot keep having elections until someone on the CSISD get what they want. No means no...
That's not the way it works though. No meant no the last election. The next election may yield a yes. That's America.
So how many times do we vote on this?? Twice is not enough? No means no, until it doesn't?


no one is forcing you to live here

doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiepaintrain said:





no one is forcing you to live here


I apologize for not making myself clear. I am not concerned about items on the bond issue. That is a discussion for a different time. I am concerned with this.

The CSISD trustees are public servants. The bare minimum a public servant must do is respect their public. If the majority of the public disapprove of the bond issue, then the trustees must respect that. Throwing it open to another vote is a sign of disrespect. Whether you support or do not support the bond issue you must be concerned that this CSISD board of trustees do not respect you (the public).

FYI I have most likely lived here longer than you have been alive... So I think I have a voice in my own home city.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is not the "majority of the public" who voted against...

9% of registered voters voted against C and D so we did not hear from the voters. We have another 82% who we did not hear from!
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Independence H-D said:

It is not the "majority of the public" who voted against...

9% of registered voters voted against C and D so we did not hear from the voters. We have another 82% who we did not hear from!
Who stopped them from voting?
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone told them "no one is forcing you to live here" and they stayed home and pouted.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

Someone told them "no one is forcing you to live here" and they stayed home and pouted.
Funny, Except I was one of those pouting voters...
Does not answer the original question. Just because you are to apathetic to vote does not mean you would voted for or against the bond. We can only count those who voted...
wasntme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
doubledog said:

wasntme said:

doubledog said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
For one thing, I have always been told no means no. Am I wrong?
Then continue to vote 'no', that is your prerogative.
However, the need for the upgrades are definitely warranted.
Hopefully the school board can educate the citizens, such as yourself, that these needs are warranted and they are not building the "Taj Mahal".

Why do we have elections, if the CSISD ignores the results?

That is my problem. We cannot keep having elections until someone on the CSISD get what they want. No means no...
No one has ignored the results. Like I said, 'keep voting "no" if you wish. However, the need is there for the upgrades.
AGro99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I ask someone to help me jump my car, and they tell me no, that doesn't change the fact that I still need assistance. It's also not going to stop me from asking the next person I see.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieBaseball06 said:

I admit that I am underinformed on the matter but why are AMCHS and CSHS being lumped together? It seems like AMCHS might be closer to a need and CSHS, which was built fairly recently, might be closer to a want.


That's my issue.

If consolidated is in such critical need, then trim all the fat and ill vote yes.

But I refuse to vote yes to spending at CSHS while we're still paying for the last round of screw ups.

Our government is run amok with financial irresponsibility. This is one of the few places where they can be held responsible. Maybe they'll be better stewards of what they have to work with in the future and not just assume they have a bottomless purse.

I also don't think it sets a good financial example for our children to just wastefully throw money around. Not having the latest greatest scoreboard can actually be a good thing.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGro99 said:

If I ask someone to help me jump my car, and they tell me no, that doesn't change the fact that I still need assistance. It's also not going to stop me from asking the next person I see.


When most of the people you ask say "no", are you going to sit with a dead battery for awhile and then ask those same people again?

And if they tell you "no" a second time, will you again wait awhile and then ask them again?

If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting the results you've been getting.
AGro99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am going to keep asking, because that's the only choice I have!

In this case the students that are being driven by the car, and supported through our local extracurricular activities are worth it.
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BCSWguru said:

aggiesed8r said:

Other districts have private donors contribute to upgrades. Is fundraising an option for ISDs in Texas? It's done in other states.
I brought this up more than once before and crickets.
Still crickets. The only solution for the yes crowd is more of other people's money because they dont want to pay for it themselves.
Mr.Short-termMemory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BCSWguru said:

BCSWguru said:

aggiesed8r said:

Other districts have private donors contribute to upgrades. Is fundraising an option for ISDs in Texas? It's done in other states.
I brought this up more than once before and crickets.
Still crickets. The only solution for the yes crowd is more of other people's money because they dont want to pay for it themselves.


Whether it's taxpayers or donors, it's still other people's money the way you're proposing.

I don't know the legal answer definitively, butI've never heard of private dollars being used for public services like you're proposing in Texas. It seems there would be other districts would have already used that model if possible.
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I seem to recall posting last time this came up, that they will just keep asking because there's no incentive for them to stop.
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wasntme said:

doubledog said:

wasntme said:

doubledog said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
For one thing, I have always been told no means no. Am I wrong?
Then continue to vote 'no', that is your prerogative.
However, the need for the upgrades are definitely warranted.
Hopefully the school board can educate the citizens, such as yourself, that these needs are warranted and they are not building the "Taj Mahal".

Why do we have elections, if the CSISD ignores the results?

That is my problem. We cannot keep having elections until someone on the CSISD get what they want. No means no...
No one has ignored the results. Like I said, 'keep voting "no" if you wish. However, the need is there for the upgrades.
To me, unless they changed the proposal in terms of what is covered and/or the cost then they are ignoring the results of the pass election. I am for most of the proposals but do question the costs.

Maybe come back and break down the proposal. Prop 1 for the field house expansion, Prop 2 for the turfs, Prop 3 for stand expansion, Prop 4 for press box expansion, etc. Break it down in terms of priority needs to maybe 10 Props?

Voters may be more willing to vote for 10 million of costs during these economic times rather than 50+ million. Lumping everything together is often a killer.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Hornbeck said:

I seem to recall posting last time this came up, that they will just keep asking because there's no incentive for them to stop.


There were also people asking them to do it again.

So.... incentive to keep trying.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tu ag said:

Didn't everybody who voted voice their opinion?
Using that logic, Trump shouldn't be running for President again.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stupe said:

Hornbeck said:

I seem to recall posting last time this came up, that they will just keep asking because there's no incentive for them to stop.


There were also people asking them to do it again.

So.... incentive to keep trying.


Did they actually change anything though? If voters are repetitively saying no then why not try to put together something that they might say yes to? If this guy was hired to get bonds passed then it seems like he's actually doing a bad job by refusing to adjust.

A lot of people are in a personal financial pinch right now. And it's only getting worse with every election. The result isn't going to change if they keep pushing the same thing.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What if I told you what you pay in taxes would not go up? The bonds can be satisfied under the current tax rate......

Of course people are in a financial pinch. Many of the people who support this are also in a financial pinch.
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And what if other folks told you that if they have too much money, they should lower taxes. The bulk of property taxes goes to the school district. The growth in housing should have corresponded with a pretty big bump in revenue.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Growth in housing means more people. More people means more students. More students means more expenses.

If you want to talk about costing more money.....

Waiting to do necessary things to the infrastructure of our schools will cost more money.
harrierdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?


I'm no longer in the CSISD area, but my opinion, when building the new HS (CSHS), they should have built a large regional sports complex. We know the area is growing. I would support that plan over renovating/building at a school itself.
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Independence H-D said:

What if I told you what you pay in taxes would not go up? The bonds can be satisfied under the current tax rate......
So they are currently over taxing us and instead of lower the rate they want to spend the difference? That really makes me want to give them more money.

They took a $5M bond that failed, increased it up over $38M failed again, and now have added a little more to $40M. Adding $33M to a bond that failed while at the same time asking voters to approve the largest bond in school history is a bold move. To then not even make any changes to the failed bond is just dumb.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Then don't vote for it. That is your prerogative.
dogowner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The kids clearly need new facilities,the impact on our taxes is tiny, and several people in this thread feel like they are getting one over on Biden and the evil overspending gubment by voting no on this issue.

Did I miss anything?
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nope...

Look I understand the sentiment. Politically I fall someplace between Dale Gribble (aka Rusty Shackleford) and Ron Swanson. However, in this case what we are talking about is a necessity for the health and well-being of our children. The benefits far, FAR outweigh any negatives.
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
harrierdoc said:

AGro99 said:

I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?


I'm no longer in the CSISD area, but my opinion, when building the new HS (CSHS), they should have built a large regional sports complex. We know the area is growing. I would support that plan over renovating/building at a school itself.


Disagree 100% one of the things they got right when building CSHS was giving them their own athletic facilities and not having the two schools share .
All you have to do is ask the kids at Rudder how it feels to get on a bus and Goto Bryan HS to play a " home football game"

chickencoupe16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dogowner said:

The kids clearly need new facilities,the impact on our taxes is tiny, and several people in this thread feel like they are getting one over on Biden and the evil overspending gubment by voting no on this issue.

Did I miss anything?


Has nothing to do with Biden and everything to do with CSISD's inability and unwillingness to properly maintain facilities. So yeah, you missed a bit.
chickencoupe16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Independence H-D said:

What if I told you what you pay in taxes would not go up? The bonds can be satisfied under the current tax rate......

Of course people are in a financial pinch. Many of the people who support this are also in a financial pinch.


Such a disingenuous argument. From the current rate taxes may not go up but a bond by definition increases the tax rate.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chickencoupe16 said:

Independence H-D said:

What if I told you what you pay in taxes would not go up? The bonds can be satisfied under the current tax rate......

Of course people are in a financial pinch. Many of the people who support this are also in a financial pinch.


Such a disingenuous argument. From the current rate taxes may not go up but a bond by definition increases the tax rate.


So, taxes won't go up but you want a quibble over the definition?

Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

dogowner said:

The kids clearly need new facilities,the impact on our taxes is tiny, and several people in this thread feel like they are getting one over on Biden and the evil overspending gubment by voting no on this issue.

Did I miss anything?


Has nothing to do with Biden and everything to do with CSISD's inability and unwillingness to properly maintain facilities. So yeah, you missed a bit.

Facilties don't last forever, they like anything else become dated and need upgrades and renovations.
It's really not due to neglect or failure to " properly maintain facilities"
How is Consol student growth and outgrowing the capacity of the current fieldhouse " failure to maintain facilities"
The softball and baseball fields are playable (obviously) so how is wanting to add turf to eliminate rainouts and lost practice time " failure to maintain facilities"
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In many cases the baseball and softball fields are not playable.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.