Asking a 3rd time? CSISD School Board Approves A Third Attempt To...

20,283 Views | 218 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by chickencoupe16
TheTexian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You realize how voting no is literally "punishing the kids," right? Do you want them to have adequate locker room-athletic training space or not?
aggiesed8r
AG
It seems most citizens want our students to have better facilities/opportunities/whatever the case may be. Most are fed up with perceived frivolous spending by the powers that be. Why can we not use some of our existing tax base/budget to begin these upgrades? Texans are fed up with property tax and increases in said taxes.

I ask this without admittingly reading any of the bond proposal.
George Costanza
"Why can we not use some of our existing tax base/budget to begin these upgrades?"

Because, outside of voter approver bonds, school districts can only increase tax revenue up to 2.5% per year by state law. If inflation and raises are more than that the school district is SOL. Almost 85% of CSISD's budget is salaries.
nought
AG
George Costanza said:

"Why can we not use some of our existing tax base/budget to begin these upgrades?"

Because, outside of voter approver bonds, school districts can only increase tax revenue up to 2.5% per year by state law. If inflation and raises are more than that the school district is SOL. Almost 85% of CSISD's budget is salaries.

Are you really trying to to say the only possible way for CSISD to maintain (and even upgrade) facilities is through additional loans?

And despite the growth in number of students, households etc., you are saying the revenue hasn't been managed effectively to maintain and upgrade facilities?

I guess in a city with a Taj Firehall, and a Taj City Hall, it isn't surprising some would argue for a Taj Schoolhall.
Independence H-D
How do I explain this to you in a way you can easily understand?

This ain't gunna build nuttin fancy.
4lilmonkeys
nought said:

George Costanza said:

Are you really trying to to say the only possible way for CSISD to maintain (and even upgrade) facilities is through additional loans?

And despite the growth in number of students, households etc., you are saying the revenue hasn't been managed effectively to maintain and upgrade facilities?

I guess in a city with a Taj Firehall, and a Taj City Hall, it isn't surprising some would argue for a Taj Schoolhall.

Yes. Things like making sure that female athletes have a separate space from male athletes, making sure the weight room is safe, ensuring athletes aren't injured on the field and having running water for concessions is 100% asking for a Taj Schoolhall. Totally.
nought
AG
4lilmonkeys said:

Yes. Things like making sure that female athletes have a separate space from male athletes, making sure the weight room is safe, ensuring athletes aren't injured on the field and having running water for concessions is 100% asking for a Taj Schoolhall. Totally.

Gosh, those are all really important things! I completely agree that they are needed. My question is why they haven't been planned for over the years given the current (ever-growing) budget and revenue? Why are things in such a state that female athletes don't already have a separate space, the weight room apparently isn't safe, the field is such that athletes might get injured, and concessions apparently don't have running water?

If I were running a business, and employees might get injured, male and female employees didn't have separate facilities, people might get injured in the hallways, and there wasn't running water in the break room, I would probably be fired as the manager of that business. If I were running a business, I would be really hesitant to go to shareholders to ask for money for things I hadn't been taking care of given the amount of money that has already been flowing into the system.
jopatura
AG
nought said:

George Costanza said:

That is how the legislative divides school funding. If you bring too much in per student, you pay it back to the state instead of getting to save it. If you need to fund projects, the district has to go back to the voters to pass a bond. The state has chipped away significantly at what districts are allowed to hold onto. I'm sure every district in the state would prefer to tax an extra $1/$100 of value to ensure they had money in the bank for maintenance, operations, etc.

Bonds itself are not the enemy. It just comes down to whether the bonds are appropriate for appropriate school items.
chickencoupe16
AG
Tailgate88 said:

CS78 said:

Tailgate88 said:

CS78 said:

Read it. All I see in there is a bunch of marketing. And no one addresses the issue of why the original construction at CSHS wasn't done right. They dont get to just spend a ton of money and then expect more when they waste what was given them.
Great idea! Let's punish students with woefully inadequate facilities who can't even get treatment and can't even practice for 1/3 of the season because the facilities are so bad at Consol because one part of a multi-multi-million dollar construction project across town didn't go perfectly. It's definitely those kids' fault.

I agree with your sarcasm of not holding the kids responsible. But then that falls back on the admin to show the voters what was done so that it doesn't happen again.

Who inspected the construction?

Was the construction company compensated for the bad work?

Who signed off on paying them?

If they were paid, what legal actions were taken to regain the taxpayers money?

What CSISD employees were fired as a result of millions of dollars being wasted?

If not, are those people still employed in the same role and likely to make the same mistakes again?

Overall, what steps have been taken so that money is not wasted again and again?

It's up to the school district to put those questions to rest if they want people's trust. It would go a lot further than trying to play people's emotions with the "wont you think of the children" card.

You're throwing out some pretty huge general accusations that seem to imply the entire construction of CSHS was botched or something. As pointed out above, this is a nearly fifteen year old school and it was a massive project. Besides the drainage issues, what else are you referring to? If you have information about other botched construction issues at CSHS please share.

What "millions of dollars" were wasted? Please give us some examples of money being "wasted again and again". This is an honest question, I fully admit I may not be aware of these issues of which you speak.

One example that my tired brain comes up with now is CSHS' baseball field. Supposedly, it has major drainage and erosion issues that have existed since construction. If that is true, then the engineers or contractor should be on the hook for making it right, not the taxpayer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.