More medians....

22,974 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by doubledog
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EBrazosAg said:

South College is next ….. shared use path is government speak for "ridiculous wide sidewalks that won't be utilized ".

https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-agrees-to-pursue-a-federal-grant-that-includes-building-a-median-on-south-college/


There are places where the shared use paths work. Sidewalk wide enough that you can have a "bike lane" and a "pedestrian lane". Idea is to move the cyclists off the roadway, but cyclists don't use sidewalks because they don't want to dodge pedestrians.

For it to work, you need an extensive network of shared use paths and a cultural of pedestrians staying off the cyclist side of the path and cyclists understand that they won't have to dodge pedestrians in the cyclist side. Not going to be anytime soon here.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love how they spent a ton of time and money not completing the bike lane network we just had to have. No shortage of latest greatest ideas and other people's money. Except this one actually will be set in stone and cost a whole lot more to fix when it's time comes.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what happens when the "the road is mine" cyclists decide the sidewalk isn't suitable for them and decide to stick to the new super narrow streets? Who's going to be responsible for that accident?
BlueMiles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

So what happens when the "the road is mine" cyclists decide the sidewalk isn't suitable for them and decide to stick to the new super narrow streets? Who's going to be responsible for that accident?
I haven't said anything yet, but I've been thinking all of this over. You've got the people who know that in Texas, bicycles are considered "motor vehicles" and allowed to use the road. You've got the people who don't know or care about any of the laws and think it's fine to ride their bikes against traffic on the shoulder of the road (and on the sidewalks). I've been wondering how all this mess will turn out.

Whoever posted earlier about "traffic calming," I think you're right about that being the intent.

I really hate the medians.
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

So what happens when the "the road is mine" cyclists decide the sidewalk isn't suitable for them and decide to stick to the new super narrow streets? Who's going to be responsible for that accident?
They should be on the street anyway.
It's a sidewalk, not a sidebike.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This
mortal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.
UPS sets routes to avoid left turns. When started, major decrease in accidents.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw this on FB:

Quote:



it will remain 2 lanes around the park. They will just be narrower at 10ft wide to "calm and slow" down traffic. There will be a round about at each end of the park but the round -abouts will have two lanes to keep traffic flowing. The inside can stay to the left if it wants and the the outside lane can take a right if they want but two lanes will continue on WJB. There will also be pedestrian red lights in the middle on each side of the park for pedestrians to cross without having to play Frogger. These lights will be enforceable just like normal red lights. I hope the info helps.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So zero concern given to getting traffic into and out of downtown.

Sometimes I think the traffic engineers must poll 100 citizens to ask them what their largest concern is. Only so they can find out how to do the opposite.
etmydst
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You sure seem to assume everyone thinks like you and if not, they must be idiots. What if the City actually did what the people that responded to the public requests for feedback asked them to do? I would guess those folks that live around the park probably did give feedback to slow the traffic and provide space for bicyclists, and the City listened - but I don't know and you don't know but you sure talk big and bash engineers based on nothing but pure speculation and ego.
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't like all the medians; however, I don't have time to be mad at them because I'm still mad at the change of exit ramps to their current configuration on the Highway 6 bypass.
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So he could not have access to the data because he is with the SO?
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

So zero concern given to getting traffic into and out of downtown.

Sometimes I think the traffic engineers must poll 100 citizens to ask them what their largest concern is. Only so they can find out how to do the opposite.


You continue to think your commute is the priority here and that's the real problem. It's not. Pedestrian safety has to be first around city parks.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOYAL AG said:

CS78 said:

So zero concern given to getting traffic into and out of downtown.

Sometimes I think the traffic engineers must poll 100 citizens to ask them what their largest concern is. Only so they can find out how to do the opposite.


You continue to think your commute is the priority here and that's the real problem. It's not. Pedestrian safety has to be first around city parks.
That is correct, given the obesity crisis in this country, we need sidewalks as wide as traffic lanes...
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If people were out walking a little maybe they wouldn't be obese.
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WolfCall said:

I don't like all the medians; however, I don't have time to be mad at them because I'm still mad at the change of exit ramps to their current configuration on the Highway 6 bypass.


Well, don't worry, they're getting redone again soon, so you can catch up to the rest of the angry median haters.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my opinion the businesses that are really thriving in this new age of our median cities is tire stores.


Wife found one last night. I got to change the tire in the rain.
BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Independence H-D said:

In my opinion the businesses that are really thriving in this new age of our median cities is tire stores.


Wife found one last night. I got to change the tire in the rain.


Ironically the mayor of Bryan owns a tire store....


And he has come out strongly against the medians.
Independence H-D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of course he came out against medians. It would be political suicide to do otherwise.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Manager at COOP told me their wouldn't be a median at their turn-ins. It stops at the light at Texas and Old Hearne Road, in front of HEB.
bloom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please let this be a statewide trend

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/houston-avenue-medians-curbs-removed-18646164.php?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral


"These improvements will include the removal of the concrete median and curbs on Houston Avenue that reduced lane capacity and restricted vehicles from turning into properties based on their direction of traffic. The project will effectively restore the roadway to the way it operated previously."
84AGEC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are a real problem.
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hate the medians so bad, as someone posted on Texags in the past, If I am ever dying of cancer and have one week to live, I am getting a D11 dozer and from about 2am to sunup, I am going down the middle of Texas Ave from south College Station to north Bryan and then work on the side streets until i get shot and killed.

I would like to see the stats for the past decade on how many accidents and serious injury accidents occurred in the middle lane when there were no medians versus the number of rear end accidents and intersection accidents that occured on the non-middle lanes.

I think about 99% of all accidents that i have passed by in the past decade were not accidents between vehicles in the open middle lane.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodiewood said:

I hate the medians so bad, as someone posted on Texags in the past, If I am ever dying of cancer and have one week to live, I am getting a D11 dozer and from about 2am to sunup, I am going down the middle of Texas Ave from south College Station to north Bryan and then work on the side streets until i get shot and killed.

I would like to see the stats for the past decade on how many accidents and serious injury accidents occurred in the middle lane when there were no medians versus the number of rear end accidents and intersection accidents that occured on the non-middle lanes.

I think about 99% of all accidents that i have passed by in the past decade were not accidents between vehicles in the open middle lane.



Sheriffs office said 60% reduction in accidents where medians installed. But hey, let's focus on the part where medians don't fix collisions at traffic lights as proof they don't do any good.
Alex Delarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trustworthy source there.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any data on cumulative lost revenue for businesses because of this nonsense? I'm sure an individual business owner here and there is all too aware, but I'm curious about overall data on this . Maybe the Chamber of Commerce?
b0ridi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood said:

I hate the medians so bad, as someone posted on Texags in the past, If I am ever dying of cancer and have one week to live, I am getting a D11 dozer and from about 2am to sunup, I am going down the middle of Texas Ave from south College Station to north Bryan and then work on the side streets until i get shot and killed.

I would like to see the stats for the past decade on how many accidents and serious injury accidents occurred in the middle lane when there were no medians versus the number of rear end accidents and intersection accidents that occured on the non-middle lanes.

I think about 99% of all accidents that i have passed by in the past decade were not accidents between vehicles in the open middle lane.



Sheriffs office said 60% reduction in accidents where medians installed. But hey, let's focus on the part where medians don't fix collisions at traffic lights as proof they don't do any good.
The reduction could be because people are avoiding certain stores/streets.

correlation vs causation
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
b0ridi said:

BiochemAg97 said:

woodiewood said:

I hate the medians so bad, as someone posted on Texags in the past, If I am ever dying of cancer and have one week to live, I am getting a D11 dozer and from about 2am to sunup, I am going down the middle of Texas Ave from south College Station to north Bryan and then work on the side streets until i get shot and killed.

I would like to see the stats for the past decade on how many accidents and serious injury accidents occurred in the middle lane when there were no medians versus the number of rear end accidents and intersection accidents that occured on the non-middle lanes.

I think about 99% of all accidents that i have passed by in the past decade were not accidents between vehicles in the open middle lane.



Sheriffs office said 60% reduction in accidents where medians installed. But hey, let's focus on the part where medians don't fix collisions at traffic lights as proof they don't do any good.
The reduction could be because people are avoiding certain stores/streets.

correlation vs causation


Pretty sure that is still causation. Medians make drivers go elsewhere so less traffic/accidents where the medians are.

Do we have less traffic accidents in BCS overall, or have we just shifted the accidents to other places is a good question though.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bryan mayor on Infomaniacs this morning said accidents have markedly increased at what he calls suicide turns where medians have been installed. He gave informal stats but I don't want to misquote him.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

Sheriffs office said 60% reduction in accidents where medians installed.
I don't believe that for even a second.
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have wondered if we are going to see "no U Turn" signs popping up next.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Popping up and ignored. And causing more accidents than open medians with turning access to the blocked off roads.
WheelinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ugh. Why has one of the eastbound lanes on Villa Maria by the park been shut down for the last 3 days with nothing happening. I
WheelinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I'll answer my own question. Looks like BTU might be swapping out to concrete poles.
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Independence H-D said:

In my opinion the businesses that are really thriving in this new age of our median cities is tire stores.


Wife found one last night. I got to change the tire in the rain.
I told my daughter that she cracked her rim. She said "College Station has a lot of medians".

Rim repair shops are making bank as well.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.