More medians....

22,766 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by doubledog
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TyHolden said:

CS78 said:

TyHolden said:

Driving toward 6 on WJB this morning. Truck in front of me is pulling a trailer with several riding lawnmowers on it. Probably going 30-40 mph. Back trailer tire hits the sidewalk. Lawnmowers tip over, barely stay on the trailer. I was surprised he didn't blow out the trailer tire because they looked like a donut spare. If those lawnmowers fall off or if he blows out a tire and somebody's on the sidewalk or bike lane, somebody's getting seriously hurt. It's going to happen.

There are a lot of trailers being pulled around this town. People just like you saw. Pulling skid steers and lawn equipment. The roads should never be intentionally designed to make driving harder. I have a CDL and a lot of years experience with big vehicles and trailers. I hit a couple of the new booby traps, trying to perfectly honor my lane. There are now areas where I intentionally just take and cover both lanes. Im not tearing up my trailers to satisfy some traffic engineers agenda for progress.
that's the problem, though. you don't have 2 lanes now. you have 1 and a bike lane. you gonna take out a biker? no, you're going to drive 10-15 mph behind them until you get 2 lanes again. it's idiotic.
Just drive on the sidewalks around Sue Haswell Park, they look wider than the roads.
TyHolden
AG
84AGEC said:

TyHolden said:

CS78 said:

TyHolden said:

Driving toward 6 on WJB this morning. Truck in front of me is pulling a trailer with several riding lawnmowers on it. Probably going 30-40 mph. Back trailer tire hits the sidewalk. Lawnmowers tip over, barely stay on the trailer. I was surprised he didn't blow out the trailer tire because they looked like a donut spare. If those lawnmowers fall off or if he blows out a tire and somebody's on the sidewalk or bike lane, somebody's getting seriously hurt. It's going to happen.

There are a lot of trailers being pulled around this town. People just like you saw. Pulling skid steers and lawn equipment. The roads should never be intentionally designed to make driving harder. I have a CDL and a lot of years experience with big vehicles and trailers. I hit a couple of the new booby traps, trying to perfectly honor my lane. There are now areas where I intentionally just take and cover both lanes. Im not tearing up my trailers to satisfy some traffic engineers agenda for progress.
that's the problem, though. you don't have 2 lanes now. you have 1 and a bike lane. you gonna take out a biker? no, you're going to drive 10-15 mph behind them until you get 2 lanes again. it's idiotic.

It's very Austin like

This
PS3D
I suspect that part of the problem is Bryan's chief engineer, using terms like "traffic calming" and "road diet", the same language that automobile-antagonistic activists use, is the one behind the excessive medians in Bryan.
Bucketrunner
Bike riders could become an endangered species in that area. Not a good idea.
doubledog
PS3D said:

I suspect that part of the problem is Bryan's chief engineer, using terms like "traffic calming" and "road diet", the same language that automobile-antagonistic activists use, is the one behind the excessive medians in Bryan.

Quote:

The City of Bryan, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation and the Bryan/College Station Metropolitan Planning Organization, is planning safety and mobility improvements for William J. Bryan Parkway from Texas Avenue to SH 6.

This project will include improving pedestrian, cyclist and vehicular access and safety; reducing chronic traffic congestion along the corridor; improving access to Sue Haswell Park; and improvements to utilities and drainage.

Plenty of blame on this to go around.

https://www.bryantx.gov/capital-improvement-projects/street-and-sidewalk-projects/#WJB
GottaRide
S
Meanwhile, 1179 is one continuous pothole.
techno-ag
AG
As is the OSR.
BiochemAg97
AG
https://engagekh.com/bcssafety/getinvolved/

MPO doing a survey of traffic safety improvements. Go rank your favorites and least favorites and hopefully encourage better decisions.
doubledog
BiochemAg97 said:

https://engagekh.com/bcssafety/getinvolved/

MPO doing a survey of traffic safety improvements. Go rank your favorites and least favorites and hopefully encourage better decisions.
This is a wonderful resource... TxDOT/CoCS/CoB take note!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.