Brazos County DA 2024 Election [Staff Warning]

50,262 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by befitter
AgLaw09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
michellecan said:

Said it before, we better know WHO we're voting for! Not interested in becoming a Dallas, Houston or God forbid a California!


Definitely agree with this. That's why I'm really suspicious of a candidate who isn't honest about their experience in seeking to be a "we need a change" candidate. If she's willing to be dishonest about something so easily disproven, what else is she willing to be dishonest about?

And on the change front, what is it that needs to be changed? As a resident of Brazos County, I haven't seen any indication criminal justice is trending towards that of Houston or Dallas. Posters above have questioned whether Parsons is a Republican and woke, but aside from throwing out those accusations what evidence is there that the DA's office is weak on crime?
TexShootMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In regards to the question about evidence, I believe that is where you should seek and out and talk to local law enforcement about their experience and opinion of the candidates
AggieClassOf2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLaw09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieClassOf2007 said:

True. Local ACTIVE law enforcement. Not people that have been retired for years.


I don't understand this limitation. If Parsons is not supportive of law enforcement, why would whether they're current or retired matter? Has there been some unknown shift in his stance toward law enforcement recently that the general public isn't aware of and retired law enforcement is willing to overlook? It's not as if retired law enforcement doesn't talk to current law enforcement and wouldn't be aware of some anti-cop stance in the DA's office.
Gunner0740
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While there are things that could be currently improved, Jarvis is hands down the best cand only qualified candidate. If you truly want to know someone's credentials, talk to their coworkers. Ask current ADA's what they think of Maritza's character and work ethic. I bet you get a different answer than her campaign website. Also, might be handy to know, how many of these heinous crimes she touts as prosecuting was she first chair on. The difference between being the lead prosecutor and a prosecutor on the prosecution team for these trials is tremendous. I'd have to ask how many of these prosecutions were pleas versus actual trial. Trial and plea agreements are still considered a prosecution and that is an important distinction.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I reiterate. Talk to current local PD detectives about who they support and why. You will then know for sure. You won't have to rely on spin on this thread.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have and shockingly, they don't all agree.
Gunner0740
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I reiterate, current law enforcement, while have insight into the election race, don't know all the behind the scenes closed door information. Again, if you want to know someone's work ethic and capabilities you need to speak to their coworkers. There is a stark difference between how one enforces the law and how one prosecutes the law.

As a side note, I have been told first hand that Maritza left the DA Office the first time to go to the CA Office because she was burned out and wanted more family time. While that is admirable, the work load is only going to increase as THE District Attorney. If merely prosecuting was too much, what do you think running the entire office will result in.

Again, I urge you to speak o her former co-workers and look at her true prosecutorial record. Being THE prosecutor and a prosecutor for the trial and two completely separate things. I have seen Jarvis prosecute capital murders, agg assault, agg robbery, etc.
A Net Full of Jello
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maritza's mailer this week confirmed for me why I cannot support her. She said she is the only one in the race who has tried a jury case. I'm sorry, what? Jarvis has worked in the DA's office for over 20 years and 12 of those was the District Attorney himself and he hasn't tried a jury case? If you're going to lie, don't do it about something so easily fact checked.

Maritza is lacking experience that we need in a DA. She has never tried a murder case and never first chaired a sexual assault case, a child abuse case, or an aggrivated robbery. Jarvis, by contrast, has tried many death penalty cases.

I have spoken to a number of police officers I know, both current and retired, and none have had an issue with Jarvis. I want a DA who has proven himself in the courtroom and had shown to be someone I can trust. Jarvis has proven that over the years and has my full support.
AggieClassOf2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunner0740
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would more so call it first hand information rather than "silly" but you do you.

Truth is, Maritza hasnt first chaired a cap murder and murder and is lacking in experience in sex assault, agg robbery, agg assault and taking them to trial. If you think someone who is unqualified for the job they're putting in for and who has had 4 jobs in the last 5 years is the best candidate then that is your opinion. I'll take proven over speculation every day.
AggieClassOf2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Her website says she's the only one to have actively tried cases to a jury.


Gunner0740
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[That post was removed. -Staff]
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunner0740 said:

I reiterate, current law enforcement, while have insight into the election race, don't know all the behind the scenes closed door information. Again, if you want to know someone's work ethic and capabilities you need to speak to their coworkers. There is a stark difference between how one enforces the law and how one prosecutes the law.

As a side note, I have been told first hand that Maritza left the DA Office the first time to go to the CA Office because she was burned out and wanted more family time. While that is admirable, the work load is only going to increase as THE District Attorney. If merely prosecuting was too much, what do you think running the entire office will result in.

Again, I urge you to speak o her former co-workers and look at her true prosecutorial record. Being THE prosecutor and a prosecutor for the trial and two completely separate things. I have seen Jarvis prosecute capital murders, agg assault, agg robbery, etc. Maritza had never been first chair in those types of prosecutions.



You don't want them talking to current detectives? The ones who work with the DA's office every day? Worked with both candidates for years?
Gunner0740
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That isn't what I said. If you read the first line of my reply, I admit that current law enforcement will have some insight. The point is that while they have insight, they don't have all the insight. I just happen to believe it is as important to speak to her former co-workers as you do current LE. The question wouldn't be why do you want to work for Jarvis, but rather why don't you want to work for Maritza.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunner0740 said:

That isn't what I said. If you read the first line of my reply, I admit that current law enforcement will have some insight. The point is that while they have insight, they don't have all the insight. I just happen to believe it is as important to speak to her former co-workers as you do current LE. The question wouldn't be why do you want to work for Jarvis, but rather why don't you want to work for Maritza.



Then I agree. Talk to as many people in the know as possible including current PD detectives.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLaw09 said:

michellecan said:

Said it before, we better know WHO we're voting for! Not interested in becoming a Dallas, Houston or God forbid a California!


Definitely agree with this. That's why I'm really suspicious of a candidate who isn't honest about their experience in seeking to be a "we need a change" candidate. If she's willing to be dishonest about something so easily disproven, what else is she willing to be dishonest about?

And on the change front, what is it that needs to be changed? As a resident of Brazos County, I haven't seen any indication criminal justice is trending towards that of Houston or Dallas. Posters above have questioned whether Parsons is a Republican and woke, but aside from throwing out those accusations what evidence is there that the DA's office is weak on crime?



Ask a current local detective if Parsons or his opponent are weak on criminal prosecution. They are both well known to current detectives. Bryan and College Sta PDs
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why not just give us your opinion? Why respond to all these questions being asked of you with "ask a current detective"?
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
histag10 said:

Why not just give us your opinion? Why respond to all these questions being asked of you with "ask a current detective"?



I want them to get it from the horses mouth instead of some biased commenter, me included. Are you not for that?
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And if some of us don't know any current detectives?

It just makes it seem like you are trying to play ding dong ditch. Drop a cryptic message, and when people question it, your response is to ask someone else...
TCT Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would think it would be worth talking to all the local Agencies, not just CSPD and BPD. Constables, SO and UPD. Also why does it have to be exclusive to just Detectives? I would value all LEO's opinions in the matter.
AggieClassOf2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCT Legend said:

I would think it would be worth talking to all the local Agencies, not just CSPD and BPD. Constables, SO and UPD. Also why does it have to be exclusive to just Detectives? I would value all LEO's opinions in the matter.



Correct. Detectives because they work more closely with the DAs and are more familiar. The sheriffs office people work for an elected official. They will be more close mouthed about things. But try Sheriffs detectives too. Constables don't work with the felony prosecutors very often nor do the UPD. The current city detectives know the two candidates and will probably tell you candidly what they think.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
histag10 said:

And if some of us don't know any current detectives?

It just makes it seem like you are trying to play ding dong ditch. Drop a cryptic message, and when people question it, your response is to ask someone else...



It was not a response. It was my assertion to begin with. Why does it bother yall that I am saying check with a detective ? Instead of trying to influence people directly? Why don't you welcome that? Seems real fair to me.
AggieClassOf2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Removed
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Without the context, none of those quotes seem at all damaging.
AgLaw09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieClassOf2007 said:

I also just find it hard to believe that Jarvis is "pro law enforcement" with some of his statements. I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this.


I've yet to hear something to explain the disconnect between the public law enforcement support for Parsons and the claimed private dislike that some posters are making sound is overwhelmingly opposition. If the DA's office really is as anti-law enforcement as some are claiming, why hasn't there be anything more than innuendo?

And if there is this well-kept secret of anti-law enforcement sentiment in the DA's office, wouldn't speaking to current and former prosecutors be good too? I can't imagine the current office is staffed fully by anti-law enforcement prosecutors. If it's as bad among detectives as some are claiming, then there have got to be prosecutors clamoring for change too.

My biggest issue in this race is what is there that needs to be changed? After reviewing Sifuentez' mailer I looked into her campaign. I discovered she's exaggerating her experience and making at least one claim that isn't truebeing the only candidate to have actively tried cases to a jury. What needs to be changed so bad that the better candidate is the one willing to be openly dishonest?
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. As I said earlier, if it ain't broke I don't see the need to fix it.

So far, no one here has presented any compelling evidence that our DA's office is broke. No one has responded to the accusations of the opponent lying about her experience. No one has responded to my request for evidence for the soft on sexual assault allegations since pointing out that other districts see Brazos Co. as the model for handling sexual assault cases.

All we get is crickets or quotes out of context.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryanisbest said:

histag10 said:

And if some of us don't know any current detectives?

It just makes it seem like you are trying to play ding dong ditch. Drop a cryptic message, and when people question it, your response is to ask someone else...



It was not a response. It was my assertion to begin with. Why does it bother yall that I am saying check with a detective ? Instead of trying to influence people directly? Why don't you welcome that? Seems real fair to me.


My point is that in 3 pages, you have said it 7 times without offering really any other insight. We get it. You don't need to respond to respond to everything with the same cryptic message seeming like you have some weird insider info.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because some of y'all are acting like we're going to find out something horrific and sinister.

I've talked to 6 so far. 4 support Jarvis and 2 do not. None of them think he's incompetent.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Literally none of that is activist nor anti police.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talk to them yourselves. Don't rely on some poster's alleged relay of conversations. Or get a friend who has connections to talk to a detective on your behalf. And ask about both candidates.
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean, I'm the friend histag is probably going to talk to in person about it as well.

Lots of posters here actually know each other.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
histag10 said:

Bryanisbest said:

histag10 said:

And if some of us don't know any current detectives?

It just makes it seem like you are trying to play ding dong ditch. Drop a cryptic message, and when people question it, your response is to ask someone else...



It was not a response. It was my assertion to begin with. Why does it bother yall that I am saying check with a detective ? Instead of trying to influence people directly? Why don't you welcome that? Seems real fair to me.


My point is that in 3 pages, you have said it 7 times without offering really any other insight. We get it. You don't need to respond to respond to everything with the same cryptic message seeming like you have some weird insider info.



7 times (now 8) is a lot. Maybe too many but this is an important race to both candidates and the public. Since some here seem to object to my suggestion, I have said it for the last time.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.