Brazos County DA 2024 Election [Staff Warning]

51,882 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by befitter
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wasn't defending myself. See the little laughing guy. It were jokes.
cslifer
She has some interesting campaign expenses...$30 in gas for "consulting out of town" and a couple hundred bucks at the Republic, (must have been a small event lol).
Bryanisbest
AG
Ok, please pardon my error. I failed to notice you were joking.
trouble
AG
I think politics makes strange bedfellows and that we know much less about our elected officials than we think we do most of the time.

But mostly, the opportunity to joke about it was there and I took it.
Tibbers
Quite interesting. Maybe there's nothing there. Maybe there is. A reporter should do some digging on the matter. Perhaps Maritza could clear the air as who the donor is and why they should donate to a city they don't even live in.
histag10
AG
Am I the only person that noticed that Travis Bryan is the campaign treasurer for Maritza? So he is one of like 2 people who handle her campaign finances.

But yeah, that big donor has ties to the university and family members who have dealt with the courts here.
Bryanisbest
AG
trouble said:

I think politics makes strange bedfellows and that we know much less about our elected officials than we think we do most of the time.

But mostly, the opportunity to joke about it was there and I took it.

I agree and would add, I think we know much less about any person who we think we know a lot about. Not just elected officials. Almost everyone wears a mask to some extent. We are all descendants of Adam who put on fig leaves to hide behind after he ate of the forbidden fruit. He and Eve no longer wanted to be exposed. They were ashamed.
trouble
AG
I noticed it the first time I went to her website.
histag10
AG
I'm going to encourage everyone to go through the contributions and expenditures for both candidates. If nothing else, it's at least provided me with some much needed laughs (and a touch of clarity on some things from the past few days)
ShawnTxAg
AG
Gunner0740
Whatever do you mean, ties to the courts here???
Gunner0740
$1100 total doesn't do much for change…
Bryanisbest
AG
Sounds like yall are arguing that a candidate should always turn down all donations from anyone who has extreme dislike for that candidate's opponent. So much for a whole lot of campaign contributions. This happens every year in all races.
histag10
AG
Holy putting words in my mouth, Batman.

No one here has said that. At all. Full stop.

I think it's weird that someone donated 25k to a DA candidate in a town they don't live in, where their biggest connection is being chummy with a "very well respected former elected official" who may or may not be part of that person's campaign after taking over a position in that campaign previously held by a county employee who was a subordinate of the candidate.

I also think it's weird to buy trick or treat candy with campaign funds. And I think it's odd to use campaign funds to pay for a class on how to campaign. Seems like something you should pay for out of pocket before deciding to run for office...

Campaign paid endorsements are also not the best look.
Gunner0740
No, I'm saying I thought it strange that someone who lives in Houston donated 25k to a local DA race. Turns out, after some LinkedIn, X, and Facebook searching I was able to figure out that Mr. Parsons' office was apparently too tough on crime for Mr. Overbergen's liking, thus causing him to get behind Maritza. I guess he didn't like his son getting a felony drug conviction while here in Aggieland.
AgLaw09
Bryanisbest said:

Sounds like yall are arguing that a candidate should always turn down all donations from anyone who has extreme dislike for that candidate's opponent. So much for a whole lot of campaign contributions. This happens every year in all races.

Are you referring to the $25k donation? I can tell you that isn't why it stood out to me. It's that it makes up almost all of her campaign contributions and is from someone who doesn't live here.

What also stands out now is that you're indicating that the donor "has extreme dislike" for Parsons. I don't know where you got that from, but I'd be interested to know why a Houston resident has that amount of extreme dislike.
histag10
AG
Don't forget that Johnny Manziel is his wife's cousin.
Bryanisbest
AG
trouble said:

A single donor with ties to the football program and a son with 2 PI arrests in Brazos county.

Why run on a platform that includes your deep ties to Bryan when you are being bankrolled by someone not from Bryan?

It's all public record, staff. I can provide links and screenshots. Anyone can find them by opening the link posted and then searching the donor's name.

Implies that it is wrong to accept donations from someone who may be mad about his son's prosecution. By the way the DA does not even prosecute public intox cases.
Bryanisbest
AG
Gunner0740 said:

No, I'm saying I thought it strange that someone who lives in Houston donated 25k to a local DA race. Turns out, after some LinkedIn, X, and Facebook searching I was able to figure out that Mr. Parsons' office was apparently too tough on crime for Mr. Overbergen's liking, thus causing him to get behind Maritza. I guess he didn't like his son getting a felony drug conviction while here in Aggieland.

Another post on same premise. Nothing wrong at all with accepting donations from those who have "extreme dislike" for one's opponent. Done in virtually every campaign.

Gunner0740
Eh, previous posts were about the son's drinking problem. This one was about his drug usage and felony arrest. Same barrel, different apples
Bryanisbest
AG
Correct. Same barrell of argument. Two different apple examples
Gunner0740
He does prosecute felony drug cases though…
JP76
Was this a delta 8 conviction ?
Gunner0740
Nah. Remember the whole Morton act discussion from page 6?
histag10
AG
And it looks like Overbergen's son spent just over 2 months in jail for his most recent drug arrest in Brazos county (2 drug arrests and 2 PIs in 4 years). It's been just over a year since junior was arrested, and he was released last April.

(This is all public record and easily searched)
histag10
AG
Why does Overbergen have an extreme dislike for a DA candidate in an area that is not his home? (To the extent that he would donate 25k to an inexperienced candidate challenging that person)
Gunner0740
Crazy. I guess rules for thee but not for me is more appealing. I'm just glad someone from a county far far away is trying influence local elections bc on face value, his son keeps getting arrested here…
Charpie
AG
Gunner0740 said:

Crazy. I guess rules for thee but not for me is more appealing. I'm just glad someone from a county far far away is trying influence local elections bc on face value, his son keeps getting arrested here…

It's all so clear now.
histag10
AG
Good ole boys club is starting to show a little stronger.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
So things are getting interesting...
trouble
AG
I know they don't. Apparently that's not all he had though.
JP76
So now we have a ticked off hedge fund owner looking for revenge against those who were too hard on his son
trouble
AG
From a county that the challenger's supporters allegedly don't want us to turn into.
Bryanisbest
AG
Probably done in every contested DA race in Texas history. Not against law or ethical rules as long as there are no strings attached to the donation. You can try to convince unknowing lay people reading this that it's so so terrible. That would be the real deception.
maroon barchetta
Your defense in so many posts is "Well, everyone does it!"

Just stop. It's sad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.