Brazos County DA 2024 Election [Staff Warning]

51,869 Views | 317 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by befitter
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can understand that to an extent as well, especially when looking at DV cases where the victim returns to the abuser and doesn't want to pursue charges. The POS still needs to be locked up
BCS-Ag
I have had the unfortunate experience of watching a friend's family go through an agonizingly slow juicing case. It showed very little compassion, efficiency and communication. This mismanagement leads me to vote for Person's opponent.
lethalninja
There was a Brazos County case where an aggravated assault happened in February 2015 and the trial didn't happen until May 2022, so it took over seven years for the case to be resolved.
lethalninja
Lester Blackshear is a defendant who was offered lenient plea deals by Parsons' office. He has seven assaultive convictions (including committing child abuse twice, pepper spraying his sister and trying to stab his brother with a seven inch knife) and the longest sentence he's gotten was three years. For his last three assaults, he was facing 25 to 99 years each time.
Stupe
S
That isn't an abnormal philosophy.

Victims of violent crimes are often intimidated into not testifying.
lethalninja
I meant that his philosophy on not prosecuting theft if the victim doesn't want to press charges is kind of unusual, since someone could have several previous theft convictions, but if the victim doesn't want to press charges, he won't prosecute them (he didn't say that, but it can be inferred).
Stupe
S
BCS-Ag said:

I have had the unfortunate experience of watching a friend's family go through an agonizingly slow juicing case. It showed very little compassion, efficiency and communication. This mismanagement leads me to vote for Person's opponent.
We had the exact opposite experience twice. Once with a friend that was the victim of a sexual assault and another that was the victim of rape. They were walked step by step with what was happening during the process and kept very informed of why it took a while. Long sentences have to be airtight.

I also know a person that was convicted of a violent crime and he was terrified during the entire process because of what he was facing. He should have been terrified and he got what he deserved.

During all of them I learned that plea deals are often better because they can't be appealed.
lethalninja
What was the violent crime and how long did they get?
BluHorseShu
AG
cslifer said:

BCSWguru said:

I seem to remember seeing Parsons made contributions to Obama. Same with Esparza.

I would hope that people vote for their DA based on experience/integrity/results instead of caring about a campaign donation made at least a decade ago.
This. I wouldn't trust the local R party only...at all and especially these days. Just because I tend to vote Republican for most offices, doesn't mean the R candidate for DA is better just bc they are 'certified' by the party. Just like in our upcoming national election. I desperately wish their were better candidates exactly because of the experience with the front runners.
B/CS is still small enough that the local DA works for the community and not a party.

Lots of people in public offices donated to another party at one time. Lots.
BCS-Ag
BCS-Ag said:

OOPS, I meant juvenile case <facepalm>
lethalninja
Parsons' office gave a defendant who was charged with felon in possession of a firearm (his previous felony conviction was burglary of a habitation), two counts of drug possession with intent to distribute and two counts of credit card fraud a plea deal for ten years probation and 180 days in jail (before the plea deal, he was facing 15 to 99 years in prison, but he was also probation eligible).
Darth Randy
Just discovered this thread.

Team Maritza, all the way. It's time for a change.

As an earlier poster said, ask a local detective if you happen to know one.

Specifically, ask them their thoughts about the DA's Office philosophy on taking sexual assault cases and the astronomical turn around time on getting an answer.
AgLaw09
In the spirit of asking questions, rather than asking a detective of your choosing about the DA's office's policy on sexual assaults, or any other case for that matter, why not ask the person actually running? He's the one wanting to be re-elected. Have him answer this accusation. If he won't, then I think you have your answer.

And keeping in the spirit of asking the candidate, why not ask the Sifuentez campaign why she's sending out mass mailers misrepresenting her experience as a prosecutor. She claims she was an ADA for over 8 years yet the State Bar website says she was licensed as an attorney on 4/30/15 and the news story on her flyer about her becoming a defense attorney was published in March 2023. That means she wasn't an ADA for even 8 years.
AggieClassOf2007
AG
aggielawyer00
AG
AND...during that time, she left for a year to work at the County Attorney's Office.

Her mailers also imply that Parsons doesn't actively try cases...which anyone who has sat on a jury in which he was the prosecutor knows that to not be true.

Truth doesn't seem to be her strong suit...seems to be an issue with her when she is running for DA.
aggielawyer00
AG
And maybe ask them if they ever addressed their concerns with Parsons. (Hint...the answer for a long time was no.)

Once those concerns were raised, that issue was fixed!
trouble
AG
I'd honestly rather someone who isn't a lifetime Brazos co resident. The good ole boys club vibe runs strong with most of them.
Darth Randy
aggielawyer00 said:

And maybe ask them if they ever addressed their concerns with Parsons. (Hint...the answer for a long time was no.)

Once those concerns were raised, that issue was fixed!

Are we really going to pretend that local law enforcement hasn't voiced their concerns with Jarvis over the years?
TexShootMan
7 years and 11 months? I'd just say 8 years too. That's how everyday normal people talk and communicate.
AggieClassOf2007
AG
Issues tend to be temporarily fixed for contested elections. That's called politics
histag10
AG
That's how long she has been a licensed attorney. As others have pointed out, she hasn't been an ADA those entire 7 years and 11 months.

Heck- she says she OVER 8 years experience as an ADA, when she doesn't even have 8 full years as an attorney.
AgLaw09
Except the mailer says "over 8 years." And another poster says she left the DA's office for a year and went to the CA's office. If that's true, then she wasn't an ADA for even 7 years, 11 months. Why does her campaign feel the need to inflate her experience?

EDIT: Went to her campaign website to see if there was more context for this claim. On there it says she helped open and establish the PD's office in January 2023, so she left even before March. It doesn't mention anything about being in the CA's office. Anyone who actually knows her know if that's true?
TexShootMan
Agreed, talk to local law enforcement and see what they have to say. Asking a candidate direct questions can be beneficial, but it's likely the answer that benefits them is all you'll get. I'm going with what I've seen them do, what I know of them and the experiences from those I know who work with them.
TexShootMan
Not sure, but I consider it a non-issue for me
AgLaw09
Being untruthful about one's experience in a race to be the District Attorney is a non-issue?
histag10
AG
TexShootMan said:

You consider blatant lying and bending of the truth in a public campaign a non-issue for a DA candidate?

Darth Randy
histag10 said:

TexShootMan said:

You consider blatant lying and bending of the truth in a public campaign a non-issue for a DA candidate?

\

Kinda like how Jarvis is an actual republican?
histag10
AG
That's neither here nor there in regards to my comment.

I just find it odd that someone finds blatant dishonesty a non-issue in a candidate for a position that requires seeking out the truth.
AggieClassOf2007
AG
This!

Darth Randy said:

Kinda like how Jarvis is an actual republican?
TexShootMan
I'm more concerned with the "equity" and "bias" that's pushed from the current officeholder
techno-ag
AG
Darth Randy said:

Just discovered this thread.

Team Maritza, all the way. It's time for a change.

As an earlier poster said, ask a local detective if you happen to know one.

Specifically, ask them their thoughts about the DA's Office philosophy on taking sexual assault cases and the astronomical turn around time on getting an answer.
I'd like to see something backing up the bolded part of your statement. From what I understand, other districts around the state look to ours as a model for sexual assault cases and have visited Brazos Co. to see how it's done here.
AggieClassOf2007
AG
[removed]

aggielawyer00
AG
I guess I'm confused about why it is a concern for prosecutors to not be biased in their prosecutions.

Honest question, why is this a bad thing?
michellecan
Said it before, we better know WHO we're voting for! Not interested in becoming a Dallas, Houston or God forbid a California!
Darth Randy
aggielawyer00 said:

I guess I'm confused about why it is a concern for prosecutors to not be biased in their prosecutions.

Honest question, why is this a bad thing?

I'd hope that the prosecutor would instead see the numbers and know they have a crime problem, not a personal bias problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.