USPS Issues?

16,622 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by dallasiteinsa02
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any chance I get a Sunday delivery?

It says we had some movement overnight.

Good for those hard-working USPS employees, burning the midnight oil on a weekend.
woodiewood1
doubledog said:

woodiewood1 said:

Last week, I paid extra $20 for a three day delivery from California to my house. After a day and a half in showed being picked up by carrier. The next day tracking showed it was in Houston and going to be delivered the next day. Nothing the next day or the following day. We are going into the fifth day now.

I complained to the seller that I expected a discount in the shipping cost as it wasn't given to carrier for a day and a half. I was told that they would check on it.

After a few hours I checked tracking and lo and behold, the tracking was changed where they inserted an update that it was delayed being picked up by carrier due to the weather and the arrival to Houston statement had been deleted.

Now it states delivery tomorrow.

What a cluster. If UPS or FedEx consistently operated like this they would not be in business. I wonder what is the difference?

FedEx contracts with USPS for delivery service, so you are still screwed.
FedEx ships the package to the nearest USPS hub and then USPS takes over...so my issue appears to be with the seller getting it to FedEX to get the shipment started. It took at least 4 days to get to Houston (if is even there now, the 6th day).

From FedEx site.
"When a package is shipped via SmartPost, FedEx delivers it through a system of warehouses and fulfillment centers to its hub closest to the destination. The USPS takes over from there and delivers the package to the customer's doorstep."

I ship about 75 packages of documents a month via overnight FedEx or UPS and 99% have been delivered on time unless the weather is really bad.

It would be the absolute last option before I would have medicines or something of utmost importance that needed to be delivered w/o fail on a particular date ordered online and delivered by USPS.

befitter
The North Houston and Missouri City hubs are a current nightmare. Houston news outlets are reporting on it. Mail and packages backed up for weeks.
maroon barchetta
befitter said:

The North Houston and Missouri City hubs are a current nightmare. Houston news outlets are reporting on it. Mail and packages backed up for weeks.

It takes time for the employees to go through every package to see what's in there. How do they know if they want it?
Stucco
I believe USPS only delivers Amazon packages on Sundays.
Girlhowdy
AG
Put me as a +1 for something stuck in North Houston hub. Item sent from California on 1/4. Still in North Houston.
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

Any chance I get a Sunday delivery?

It says we had some movement overnight.

Good for those hard-working USPS employees, burning the midnight oil on a weekend.

I often get Sunday deliveries.
woodiewood1
Within the past hour I received an update from yesterday morning.

I guess If I paid for ground service, I might get it for next Christmas?

SHIPMENT ACTIVITY
MOST RECENT
JANUARY 20 - 11:41AMArrived at FacilityHouston, TX

They now are saying Monday delivery.

I guess if I get it tomorrow, paying extra for 3 day delivery and getting it delivered in seven days is par for the course.

As the Zen Master said, "We'll see."
legalbird
Priority and USPS Ground advantage have $100 free insurance. The claim process is demanding, and it is usually rejected on the first attempt. It takes about 3 weeks to find out if rejected. The rejection letter comes in the mail.

If you declared more than $100 value, and you paid for insurance, you have to have the original receipt showing what you paid. So the $475 part for the Corvette, you better have a receipt that shows that you paid that.

There is zero telephone support.

If you ship something of value, get a scan at post office before you leave. Don't drop it in the chute and walk away.

Also, it you paid X dollars for shipping, too bad. The shipping that you were charged is never refunded. So if you paid $15 for shipping and insurance, that is your loss.

There is an extensive amount of orders being lost or stolen.
etj77845
Best add Austin to the list. I've had inbound and outbound items to Austin or through Austin "lost".

One item (outbound) I was able to stop payment on.

The inbound item contained Rx controlled item. Can only guess how this package was diverted. Was traced to Austin, then black hole..
Rapier108
maroon barchetta said:

befitter said:

It takes time for the employees to go through every package to see what's in there. How do they know if they want it?
This is far more true than you know.

There is an organized theft ring at one or both hubs.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
woodiewood1
So I guess my late box was either shipped to another facility in Houston or brought back to the same one?

SHIPMENT ACTIVITY
MOST RECENT
JANUARY 21 - 10:35AMArrived at FacilityHouston, TX
JANUARY 21 - 10:07AMDeparted from FacilityHouston, TX
JANUARY 20 - 11:41AMArrived at FacilityHouston, TX
maroon barchetta
Mine has 13 instances of arriving at a carrier facility and still isn't here.
woodiewood1
Rapier108 said:

maroon barchetta said:

befitter said:

This is far more true than you know.

There is an organized theft ring at one or both hubs.
Yep. One of my brothers worked for the Post Office in Tucson for a number of years back in the 1990s and he said that many of the employees would take peoples magazines home and read them for a day or two and then deliver them or thow them out. Before he told me that I always wondered why some magazines I got appeared to be somewhat beat up a little.
maroon barchetta
Houston news is on it again.

The local representatives have "requested a tour"? Just show up and say "I'm here and we are going to look around".

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/candle-shop-owner-usps-mail-delays-houston/285-3a00f3d9-8d97-4348-b6db-4f627a83411d?fbclid=IwAR0c1YQXPa5jVfI0QnMHqq-F58Djxq4TXMZarnhhQ6khKZxjwbAZnbIspXA
BMo
maroon barchetta said:

Houston news is on it again.

The local representatives have "requested a tour"? Just show up and say "I'm here and we are going to look around".

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/candle-shop-owner-usps-mail-delays-houston/285-3a00f3d9-8d97-4348-b6db-4f627a83411d?fbclid=IwAR0c1YQXPa5jVfI0QnMHqq-F58Djxq4TXMZarnhhQ6khKZxjwbAZnbIspXA

Thanks for this link. Just sent it to my congressman who said he couldn't do anything without me signing a "Privacy Information Form". Told him it didn't appear to be a private matter. Someone in Houston needs to be held accountable.
Gone Camping
AG
We received an order we had placed just before Christmas. Box was totally destroyed but goods were somehow still inside. There was also a random Christmas card in there with no mailing address or stamp. Opened the card and it had a check for $50. We were able to track down the lady who had written the check, somewhere in New England, and my wife called her. Turned out they had shipped a package with multiple cards and stuff in it and it had gotten stuck at the Houston hub (where our package had been stuck for a while also). It sounds like her package got torn apart and somehow one of the cards fell into our busted open package. She had been calling USPS and was getting the run around so she was super happy my wife called and helped her sort out the mystery. She canceled the other checks that had been in her original package and we shredded the check we ended up with.
Don't know what's going on with USPS or at the Houston hub but it's chaos and unacceptable.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Add me to the list. Multiple packages in the Houston black hole
Goose83
AG
Add me to the list as well.

Had a package shipped from North Carolina, which took two days to get from there to Missouri City. It then spent eight days in transit from Missouri City to the "next facility," before it finally arrived here (at least it wasn't destroyed like the prior package that it replaced had been).

It's unfortunate, but the USPS is in a really bad place now, which is saying something considering it past history. It should have remained a cabinet-level department, and never become the independent agency we have now.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
This is what I've received numerous times. I keep opening cases about delayed packages and they typically show up within a week of creating the case.

"As part of its 10-year Delivering for America plan, the Postal Service is working to modernize our mail and package processing network. For decades, our outmoded network has created significant financial losses, increased deferred maintenance costs, deteriorated workplace conditions for our employees, and failed to efficiently integrate mail and package processing and delivery. The transformation of our network is necessary and fundamental to our continuation as an organization and a service to the American people and our business customers.

In the Houston area, network adjustments are ongoing. We have initiated the complex transition of the North Houston Processing & Distribution Center (P&DC) to a Regional Processing & Distribution Center (RPDC). Under our 10-year plan, we are combining and centralizing mail processing operations in approximately 60 new RPDCs nationwide over the coming years, which will handle originating mail and all package processing. Many of the RPDCs, such as North Houston, will be developed from existing postal facilities. The entire USPS geography is being assessed to determine the most appropriate mix of facilities within each regional ecosystem.

These new RPDCs will allow USPS to better use resources including space, staffing, processing equipment and transportation to take advantage of state-of-the-art technologies that process mail and packages more efficiently, while also creating brighter, cleaner, and more modern workplaces for postal employees.

As part of our network transition, we are also establishing Local Processing Centers (LPC) throughout the nation. The Missouri City, TX facility is designated as the South Houston LPC. Nearly all LPCs will be developed from existing postal facilities. It's anticipated that up to 180 stand-alone LPCs will be opened in the next few years. The LDCs will process destination mail and transfer mail and packages to delivery. The LPCs will be modernized with standard designs in workflow and refined operations, with benefits similar to the RPDCs, including repositioning of machines to improve mail flow, removing obstructions from the workroom floor, improving overall visibility (i.e., lighting), and improving employee common areas.

This process, as with any such transition, takes time. The Postal Service will adhere to all legal, statutory, contractual, and regulatory requirements as network modernization continues in the coming years.

As with any transition, some unintended and temporary disruptions may occur. We are taking steps to ensure packages are processed as quickly and efficiently as possible and apologize to any customers who may be experiencing issues with delivery of their items. We strongly encourage customers who have concerns to contact us either online or via our toll-free number. When customers reach out, they can provide vital details to our customer service staff. A number will be assigned to each case, which allows the Postal Service to fully research the situation and provide a suitable resolution for our customers. Customers may call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777), or visit our website at www.usps.com/help ."
befitter
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

This is what I've received numerous times. I keep opening cases about delayed packages and they typically show up within a week of creating the case.

"As part of its 10-year Delivering for America plan, the Postal Service is working to modernize our mail and package processing network. For decades, our outmoded network has created significant financial losses, increased deferred maintenance costs, deteriorated workplace conditions for our employees, and failed to efficiently integrate mail and package processing and delivery. The transformation of our network is necessary and fundamental to our continuation as an organization and a service to the American people and our business customers.

In the Houston area, network adjustments are ongoing. We have initiated the complex transition of the North Houston Processing & Distribution Center (P&DC) to a Regional Processing & Distribution Center (RPDC). Under our 10-year plan, we are combining and centralizing mail processing operations in approximately 60 new RPDCs nationwide over the coming years, which will handle originating mail and all package processing. Many of the RPDCs, such as North Houston, will be developed from existing postal facilities. The entire USPS geography is being assessed to determine the most appropriate mix of facilities within each regional ecosystem.

These new RPDCs will allow USPS to better use resources including space, staffing, processing equipment and transportation to take advantage of state-of-the-art technologies that process mail and packages more efficiently, while also creating brighter, cleaner, and more modern workplaces for postal employees.

As part of our network transition, we are also establishing Local Processing Centers (LPC) throughout the nation. The Missouri City, TX facility is designated as the South Houston LPC. Nearly all LPCs will be developed from existing postal facilities. It's anticipated that up to 180 stand-alone LPCs will be opened in the next few years. The LDCs will process destination mail and transfer mail and packages to delivery. The LPCs will be modernized with standard designs in workflow and refined operations, with benefits similar to the RPDCs, including repositioning of machines to improve mail flow, removing obstructions from the workroom floor, improving overall visibility (i.e., lighting), and improving employee common areas.

This process, as with any such transition, takes time. The Postal Service will adhere to all legal, statutory, contractual, and regulatory requirements as network modernization continues in the coming years.

As with any transition, some unintended and temporary disruptions may occur. We are taking steps to ensure packages are processed as quickly and efficiently as possible and apologize to any customers who may be experiencing issues with delivery of their items. We strongly encourage customers who have concerns to contact us either online or via our toll-free number. When customers reach out, they can provide vital details to our customer service staff. A number will be assigned to each case, which allows the Postal Service to fully research the situation and provide a suitable resolution for our customers. Customers may call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777), or visit our website at www.usps.com/help ."
Government Bureaucracy at work.
Bucketrunner
Just mailed a birthday gift today with FedEx. I paid extra to assure that the USPS did not have a chance to get their fingers on it. I wanted it to arrive on time.

If what I want is within three hundred miles, I'll just drive there and get it, rather than trust the post office.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep I'll always pay extra for 100% UPS or 100% FedEx. Keep USPS as fast away from my stuff as possible. Just let them continue to stuff my mailbox with garbage that goes straight to recycling.
maroon barchetta
Tracker doesn't show any movement this morning.

Guessing I'm not getting this today.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Can anyone find their packages in this mess??

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/01/23/delays-processing-issues-affect-houston-area-usps-facilities-impacting-local-businesses-with-packages-stuck-inside/?fbclid=IwAR0_QNiRA4d9JEh5dpCw1YlwcmQYb18_l_dgYEduubYsJHJu-oDldnq9Qw0
gigem92
AG
Have no fear, our local TV outlet has been reading TexAgs and is all over the situation.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/01/22/texas-congressman-calls-transparency-usps-amid-shipping-delays/
halibut sinclair
I sent a package to Waco at the first of the year via USPS and it took over 2 weeks to get there.
maroon barchetta
Wait a minute

USPS is also monitoring this thread

"We deliver, we deliVER!" (Remember that jingle?)

Muzzleblast
Neither rain nor snow shall keep the postal service from its appointed rounds.
DEI quiet quitters, that's a whole different story.
I've contacted my congressman, Michael McCaul, and sent them a link to this thread.
I suggest everyone contact their congressman to put some heat on this issue.
AggiePhil
AG
It may take an unusually long time, but USPS packages *typically* make it to their destination. Apparently Priority Mail Express is the only service with a money-back guarantee if it doesn't make it there on time.
trouble
AG
It's so strange. Somethings I'm getting exactly on time, no issues at all even going through Houston.

Others go back and forth between Houston and Kyle, get sent out of state and back. Totally random.
BiochemAg97
AG
I received the return postcard for certified mail I sent several months ago. Postcard says the original letter was delivered 8/2/23. Postcards delivered 1/22/24. And we are talking Arlington, TX and Bryan, TX.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Yep, I had one that started in Humble, went to NJ, then Baltimore and back to Humble and finally delivered 2 days after that.
maroon barchetta
Without humor intended at all, the actual Pony Express would deliver faster than the modern postal service.
Tailgate88
AG
Daughter ordered something on Etsy that arrived in North Houston last Monday. Finally made it to Bryan this morning and is out for delivery. Sat in Houston for eight days…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.