John Raney stepping down, TX H14 open

23,978 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Bob Yancy
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FlyRod said:

Fwiw (and I'm not exactly sure what it's worth), friends in local law enforcement let me know that in their opinion, Kirk is definitely running for this seat.

I guess no formal announcement but one of these is literally someone who worked closely with him, so who knows…

There must be a filing deadline I presume?

I thought he just announced he would NOT be running. Believe he had a health scare of sorts and wants to focus on what's most important.
EBrazosAg
AG
Yes he did. FlyRod is operating in an alternate reality 10d or so behind ours …… or his KBTX feed is broke. One or the other
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
13 days not 10…just saw the Nov 1 story about him withdrawing.

Since I was told today that he was still running by someone in local law enforcement I'd be more concerned about how up to date they are, rather than how up to date a complete nobody on TexAgs is.

Glad we settled that.
Picadillo
Tried his best to kill School Choice and succeeded - for now. Nearly 20 states have passed it with great success and no scare stories as he and Kacal put out there. Good riddance.
75AG
AG
Thank god he killed Abbott's misguided attempted use of public tax dollars. You want public dollars to go to church schools? Tax churches.

Public tax dollars for public schools, only!
toolshed
AG
Pretty sure tax dollars are MY dollars that are paid into a system that then spends them however they want, including lots of waste and even slush funds in some districts.

Call me crazy, but I think I should be able to spend my tax dollars to send my kids to the schools of my choosing. And there are lots of options other than "church schools" as you seem to be worried about. If I want to send my kids to a church school with the tax dollars I pay in, seems reasonable enough.
EBrazosAg
AG
Rep. John Raney discusses education spending after vouchers stripped from bill https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/20/rep-john-raney-discusses-education-spending-after-vouchers-stripped-bill/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
Send them to wherever you want. Church school, non-profit, for-profit, or cooperative. Homeschool them. Teach them using an online program.. There are a lot of options. Just don't expect public tax dollars to pay for it. We have a public education system that the public pays for. Choose otherwise, you pay for that choice.
trouble
AG
I need to know what a mom-profit school is.
trouble
AG
As a former private school parent, I'm anti voucher because taking the state's money eventually means you have to follow every damn one of their rules. Not dealing with some of that is why I sent my oldest to private school.
75AG
AG
trouble said:

fat fingers. I'll fix it
trouble
AG
75AG said:

trouble said:

fat fingers. I'll fix it

I was hoping for a new side gig.
jac4
AG
trouble said:

As a former private school parent, I'm anti voucher because taking the state's money eventually means you have to follow every damn one of their rules. Not dealing with some of that is why I sent my oldest to private school.

Complicated issue. The potential for unintended consequences is huge.
woodiewood1
Bob Yancy said:

As you indicate, I am not a declared candidate for state rep and have yet to decide. My thoughts on your 3 questions are as a citizen of Brazos County, not a candidate for anything.

1) High Speed Rail - I wish one of the transparency bills had passed. I am not in favor of massive lengths of eminent domain stretching from Houston to Dallas. I'm curious why using existing railway right of way hasn't been explored. They could potentially use elevated tracks over the existing ground tracks, which would virtually eliminate eminent domain. Property owners with current easements for ground tracks could be paid for another easement just for the support columns' base, if needed. Railway already exists in an almost straight shot from Houston to Dallas already. High Speed Rail could be a massive economic benefit, but not at the expense of a regulatory taking and trampling on private property rights.

2) New Bryan Development - I'm an elected councilman for the citizens of College Station, and respectfully decline to weigh in on what my friends and colleagues to the north wish to pursue for their city.

3) Out of Control Border - Its a humanitarian and criminal and economic tragedy of unbelievable proportions. There's been more loss of life, largely unreported, under this administration that is unprecedented. The same people who cried out in anguish over the wrong-headed child separation policy bite their tongue as men, women and children die and are abused in historic numbers on both sides of the border. It's a crying shame and it needs to be stopped and order restored to legal immigration.

My $.02, respectfully.
My solution to #! is that the RR could have run partially elevated rail lines all the way down I45 on the easement side and would have never had to strong-arm landowners in selling property rights.
Bob Yancy
As you can see from this map, existing railway in Texas is extensive, to say the least. I've not researched high speed rail much but I've never understood why existing railway and railway easement wasn't leveraged more in the discussion.
Bob Yancy
Bob Yancy said:

As you can see from this map, existing railway in Texas is extensive, to say the least. I've not researched high speed rail much but I've never understood why existing railway and railway easement wasn't leveraged more in the discussion.

Railroad right-of-way is typically 100 feet wide extending 50' in either direction from the center line of the main track. BNSF and Union Pacific both have mostly straight shots from Houston to Dallas.
Bob Yancy
And lastly, here's a really cool study, highly applicable, conducted by none other than Texas A&M's TTI back in 1983. Using highway easement and/or existing railroad easements to construct elevated high speed rail tracks are discussed with diagrams included. Interestingly, the study coins the phrase "Texas Triangle" and discusses the massive potential growth to come.

https://static.tti.tamu.edu/tti.tamu.edu/documents/418-1F.pdf
EBrazosAg
AG
I'm hoping someone else here was watching the extended 6 pm KBTX interview live with JR….. I'm popping my popcorn.

Rep. Raney discusses school vouchers ahead of Texas House reconvening Tuesday https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/21/rep-raney-discusses-school-vouchers-ahead-texas-house-reconvening-tuesday/
EBrazosAg
AG
Longtime TX Rep. Kyle Kacal will not seek reelection to statehouse https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/27/longtime-tx-rep-kyle-kacal-will-not-seek-reelection-statehouse/
75AG
AG
Kacal voted against vouchers. Wonder if Abbott, Lt Dan, et. al., told him he would be primaried?
highpriorityag
75AG said:

Kacal voted against vouchers. Wonder if Abbott, Lt Dan, et. al., told him he would be primaried?

You don't think it's a coincidence that this is like his 10th or 11th year? He's fully vested why keep doing this?
You do this for the pension. Period.
75AG
AG
He's under 60 and would need 12 years of service. He took office in 2013. He might be quitting too early?
EBrazosAg
AG
I don't know if he qualifies for pension or not. But that's not likely a driver in any direction. The value of the pension is all relative…..
75AG
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I don't know if he qualifies for pension or not. But that's not likely a driver in any direction. The value of the pension is all relative…..
I don't know. ~$40,000 a year for life by staying another session. I believe this is all about being primaried.
EBrazosAg
AG
No doubt. Last election wasn't fun for him. Why put your own $$ into an uncertain future for a pension you could buy for 6-700k without the heartache or uncertainty? Especially if you can afford it.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
75AG said:

He's under 60 and would need 12 years of service. He took office in 2013. He might be quitting too early?
Took office in 2013, will be out of office in January 2025. That's 12 years by my count.
75AG
AG
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

75AG said:

Took office in 2013, will be out of office in January 2025. That's 12 years by my count.
I was this thinking he would need to be in office for the 2025 leg session. I'm probably wrong.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
75AG said:

Mr.Short-termMemory said:

75AG said:

I was this thinking he would need to be in office for the 2025 leg session. I'm probably wrong.
I think he's served six sessions (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023), so he should already vest. But I'm not an expert in Legislative pension. Nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Bob Yancy
They only add like $2400 a year or so with each year after they're vested. It's like a second social security check unless they are there forever. Not much.

I think the value proposition of feeling fulfilled at serving your state part time is diluted when it becomes a full time job.

Now that the governor has called multiple special sessions to achieve policy goals, it'll likely be commonplace. It's not a part time job anymore, by a long shot.

Add to that the partisan rancor and the value prop of serving goes down. Just calling it as I see it.

I surmise that's why folks are stepping down in droves.
Vinewood_03
Not trying to cast stones but never really understood how Kacal kept getting re-elected. Heard him debate a couple and times and wasn't impressed. Even his public speeches were….awkward.
Bob Yancy
The filing period for HD14 ends 6pm this Monday. I won't be running. Going to stick with city council.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.