John Raney stepping down, TX H14 open

23,971 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Bob Yancy
HWY6_RunsBothWays
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree, age is an issue.
Take a look at:
Texas Constitutional Amendment Proposition 13 HJR 107 ... "increase the mandatory age of retirement for state justices and judges."
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

Fred has had very little local engagement beyond his church activities- admired and appreciated, but not unique- for nearly 2 decades. His time has past. I think he realizes that as well. He was a good local representative at one time. He made choices and that changed. Now is not the time for Fred to reclaim that …
I think you'd be surprised at the level of engagement Brown continues to show to our community. He's still very active in local and state politics through his consulting work and service projects.

(I'm not Mrs. Brown; or any Brown for that matter. Just a guy who know Fred casually and appreciates his efforts.)
"...consulting work and service projects."
Do tell! Please elaborate on this statement.
Yeah, I'm not really interested in carrying Fred's water; I was primarily responding to EBrazosAg's assertion that just because Fred hadn't served in state government for quite a while that his time has passed and he hasn't done anything for the community.

Fred's most recent cause was fighting against the dramatic increase in property taxes. He held two (I think) local meetings that were well attended, and then worked behind the scenes with state legislators to reach a solution.
Thanks for the response.
Regarding "..fighting against the dramatic increase in property taxes."
One would have to ask, were Fred's meetings 100% for the people--OR perhaps for his next election?
JYDog90
AG
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

Fred has had very little local engagement beyond his church activities- admired and appreciated, but not unique- for nearly 2 decades. His time has past. I think he realizes that as well. He was a good local representative at one time. He made choices and that changed. Now is not the time for Fred to reclaim that …
I think you'd be surprised at the level of engagement Brown continues to show to our community. He's still very active in local and state politics through his consulting work and service projects.

(I'm not Mrs. Brown; or any Brown for that matter. Just a guy who know Fred casually and appreciates his efforts.)
Yeah, I'm not really interested in carrying Fred's water; I was primarily responding to EBrazosAg's assertion that just because Fred hadn't served in state government for quite a while that his time has passed and he hasn't done anything for the community.

Fred's most recent cause was fighting against the dramatic increase in property taxes. He held two (I think) local meetings that were well attended, and then worked behind the scenes with state legislators to reach a solution.
Thanks for the response.
One would have to ask, were Fred's meetings 100% for the people--OR perhaps for his next election?

That's the case with every state rep meeting. I certainly wouldn't exclusively accuse Fred of this.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Willy Wonka said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

Thanks for the response.

That's the case with every state rep meeting. I certainly wouldn't exclusively accuse Fred of this.
Yes, you are correct.
BUT we went from "...consulting work and service projects" to a property tax meeting.
So, what does Fred have that others don't?
Txmoe
AG
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Willy Wonka said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are correct.
BUT we went from "...consulting work and service projects" to a property tax meeting.
I would argue that fighting high property taxes could cross both of those areas. But more importantly, given that Fred has already taken his name out of consideration, why are you still so curious?
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Willy Wonka said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are correct.
I would argue that fighting high property taxes could cross both of those areas. But more importantly, given that Fred has already taken his name out of consideration, why are you still so curious?
Deflect much?
You brought Brown into the conversation at 8:19 today with your post.
Temple Ag
Serious question.

What has Slocum done other than be R.C.'s son?

We already have one rep who has done nothing other than get a ranch from his mommy and daddy.
trouble
AG
I'm pretty sure the conclusion we came to the last time he ran for something was "not a dang thing"
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
What do ya'll think about Paul Dyson running for this seat?
He's a conservative.
crbongos
AG
Well Slocum has been involved in the oil and gas business (ownership and work) as well as part owner if 1860 restaurant among other things. He's no trust fund baby.
CRBongo
halibut sinclair
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's a conservative.

Who?
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's a conservative.

Who?
https://patch.com/texas/across-tx/american-momentum-bank-appoints-prominent-attorney-board
halibut sinclair
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's a conservative.

Who?
https://patch.com/texas/across-tx/american-momentum-bank-appoints-prominent-attorney-board

Don't know him.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's a conservative.

Who?

Don't know him.
You should get to know him.
And not knowing him might be a good thing for this position. That is, he hasn't built a political career to be known, unlike some others who have been positioning themselves for years to take the reins.
MaroonBeretBCS
Didn't know Paul Dyson was thinking of it, but he'd be perfect! He's a good man that would be hard to beat. Very successful career in and out of the family business. Never lived off his father's name or in his shadow. He went out and struck his own name. MBA from Mays and Law degree from South Texas College. Clerked for a US District Court Judge. Partnered with Jay Don and others to start a local title company. Also works for his father's O&G business as in house counsel. Most importantly, he's a very principled conservative. He'd be a force in the legislature with his legal and business chops. Was bummed about Larry. Now I'm excited!
halibut sinclair
MaroonBeretBCS said:

Didn't know Paul Dyson was thinking of it, but he'd be perfect! He's a good man that would be hard to beat. Very successful career in and out of the family business. Never lived off his father's name or in his shadow. He went out and struck his own name. MBA from Mays and Law degree from South Texas College. Clerked for a US District Court Judge. Partnered with Jay Don and others to start a local title company. Also works for his father's O&G business as in house counsel. Most importantly, he's a very principled conservative. He'd be a force in the legislature with his legal and business chops. Was bummed about Larry. Now I'm excited!

Thanks, Paul!
MaroonBeretBCS
halibut sinclair said:

MaroonBeretBCS said:

Thanks, Paul!

Not even close. I just like Paul so I'm happy to express that.
halibut sinclair
hereford
AG
I'm very curious about this comment. I haven't followed Representative Kacal's career very closely but he seemed to be a good candidate when they separated my rural neighborhood from John Raney. What has he done that has disappointed you?
Temple Ag
Sure Kyle,

I didn't like how you voted against school choice.

Texans for Fiscal Responsibility give you a score of 28/100.

Young Conservatives give you a score of 47/100.

Texas Right to Live give you a score of 68/100. Not so hot for a Catholic, in my opinion.

American Conservative Union also gives you a 68/100.

All failing scores.

I think your Brazos County constituents can do better, "hereford".
vwbug
Wish Larry would stay in.

Kyle K - what is his job again?
FlyRod
Quote:

Sure Kyle,

I didn't like how you voted against school choice.

Texans for Fiscal Responsibility give you a score of 28/100.

Young Conservatives give you a score of 47/100.

Texas Right to Live give you a score of 68/100. Not so hot for a Catholic, in my opinion.

American Conservative Union also gives you a 68/100.

All failing scores.

I think your Brazos County constituents can do better, "hereford".

Maybe poll his constituents about how they feel, vs scores from a few activist special interest lobbies?
Temple Ag
I'd hardly call those a bunch of leftist organizations.

Kyle Kacal operates Tonkaway Ranch.

His daddy bought it with the proceeds from being a class action/mass tort lawsuit attorney.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
FlyRod
I said "activist" not leftist.

Yeah he owns that ranch. I'm not sure how that affects his record as a state rep.

There are other issues than the ones the organizations you list are focused on (not that people don't care about those too).
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
"His daddy bought it with the proceeds from being a class action/mass tort lawsuit attorney."

Actually he was with the firm of Kacal, Pappas etc. and they represented State Farm insurance group as insurance defense attorneys in Houston Texas.
Temple Ag
Sorry. When I googled his father's name, it said he is a class action/tort attorney.
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
He is retired now but here is his biographical:

Jerry Kacal [url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=generalInfo#general][/url]
lawyer
[url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=activities#general][/url] Jerry Kacal, American lawyer Member of Dunn, Kacal, Adams, Pappas & Law, A Professional Corporation. [url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=lifeInBrief#general][/url]
Background
[url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=background#general][/url] Kacal, Jerry was born on March 24, 1945 in Oakland, California, United States.
[url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=background#general][/url]
Education
Texas A. & M. University (Bachelor of Business Administration, 1968). University of Houston (Juris Doctor, 1971).
[url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=education#education][/url]
Career
Worked at Dunn, Kacal, Adams, Pappas & Law, A Professional Corporation. Admitted to the bar, 1972, Texas. 1974, United States. District Court, Southern District of Texas.

1979, United States.

District Court, Eastern District of Texas. 1980, United States. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit. Phi Alpha Delta. Member, Order of the Barons.

Member: Houston and American Bar Associations.

State Bar of Texas; Texas Association of Defense Counsel. Defense Research and Trial Lawyers Association.
[url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=workResults#work][/url]
Achievements

• Jerry Kacal has been listed as a reputable lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
    [url=https://prabook.com/web/person-edit.html?profileId=3095813§ion=major-achievements#work][/url]
Membership
Member, Order of the Barons. Member: Houston and American Bar Associations. State Bar of Texas; Texas Association of Defense Counsel.

Defense Research and Trial Lawyers Association.

HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
We are losing sight.
Who will take the reins with Raney gone?
PWR85
AG
Sorry that Larry will not run. I don't know who can or will step in, but hoping for someone who loves to serve others, has no personal agenda, moderate to conservative, and who will put all of us first. Would also be nice if they weren't a career politician, but someone who has built businesses and can foster relationships that will benefit our great state.
hereford
AG
I guessI you think I'm Representative Kacal but you are very mistaken. School choice as presented by the party I have been supporting financially and with my time since I have been able to vote was a gift to wealthy parents in big cities. It would have not helped rural districts at all and they have the least amount of resources. It was very disappointing to me as a longtime Republican that this was the only "school choice" plan. I don't care if you send your kids to private schools but money from the state should only be for families that cannot afford to remove their good students from bad schools.

It seems like you are quoting groups that measure our state representaives on their voting records but I'm not sure what those groups stand for and I don't know who funds them. I do know that the state has a $33 billion surplus that they have not sent back to the taxpayers. I don't know how Mr. Kacal voted on this topic but none of the Senators and Representatives should be proud of not sending some of the surplus back to the taxpayers.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Paul Dyson announced. Thoughts?

https://dysonfortexas.com/
halibut sinclair
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's gonna lose to Chris Kirk.
Doug Funny
Chris is about my age, same as John Raney.
We've had our opportunities.
Time for our next generation's service and leadership.
Pleased to see Paul Dyson is willing make his personal investment in that regard.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

He's gonna lose to Chris Kirk.

Deep comments…
Chris Kirk had his chance. He's shown his face. Chris is a no for me.
Hittag1492
AG
Paul Dyson seems like the best fit of any of the the names mentioned so far, including Larry (glad he pulled his name out.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.