John Raney stepping down, TX H14 open

23,975 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Bob Yancy
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

halibut sinclair said:

HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Paul Dyson announced. Thoughts?

https://dysonfortexas.com/

He's gonna lose to Chris Kirk.

Deep comments…
Chris Kirk had his chance. He's shown his face. Chris is a no for me.

Sorry, for the most part, older people are the ones that come out to vote. They are familiar with the long-time sheriff, not Dyson.
Charpie
AG
I know someone who is conservative who is young and now lives in Brazos County who should run. He would be FANTASTIC
Bob Yancy
I am considering throwing my name in for consideration. Given that I was elected to represent the citizens of College Station, no matter what I will finish my term and complete that duty.

Whoever we send, my hope is that person doesn't disappear into the Austin machine, but instead keeps a keen focus on us here at home and helps bring the county and university and cities together.

Our future is amazingly bright if we get it right. I believe we're at an inflection point driven by massive growth. Any day, Brazos County will break 300,000 in population. How we get ahead of that and simultaneously preserve our unique identity as a community will be of strategic importance.

In the meantime, my wife and I continue to think it over and thanks to my friends and colleagues that have encouraged me to run. It's proving to be a difficult decision, as there is a lot to do at city hall, too.

Respectfully

-yancy
Bob Yancy
The next state rep should establish a Brazos Legislative Committee and meet regularly with representatives of the county, both cities, Tamu and the business community to garner inputs into what WE want and need locally. The legislative process should be open and transparent locally.

My $.02

Respectfully

-yancy
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Bob Yancy
I think those are fine committees with a good charter. They could work in concert, or parallel to, this proposed new one.

My overarching point is the next state rep can't disappear into the "Austin machine."

We need overt transparency and better insights into state roadways and traffic project budget allocations. We need proactive leadership around healthcare. The biennial state budget is roughly $340,000,000,000 and approximately $110,000,000,000 is for Health & Human Services.

We need proactive, energetic leadership that represents our local taxpayer interests. As the Texas triangle explodes there is going to be a struggle for resource allocation. Business as usual won't get it done for us. We need a fighter that knows how to fight without throwing bombs, but works to persuade and garner support for local interests and keeps us closely informed.

My $.02

Respectfully

HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
rich1
AG
I appreciate your willingness to engage on this forum. Would you be willing to share your views on a few things that would help me decide if I should give you my support should you decide to run for state office?

Do you support the proposed high speed rail? Would you support the use of eminent domain for this project?

Do you support the City of Bryan's proposed acquisition of the Oak Terrace subdivision for their new development should eminent domain be required.

What are your views on immigration at our southern border?
Txmoe
AG
rich1 said:

I appreciate your willingness to engage on this forum. Would you be willing to share your views on a few things that would help me decide if I should give you my support should you decide to run for state office?

Do you support the proposed high speed rail? Would you support the use of eminent domain for this project?

Do you support the City of Bryan's proposed acquisition of the Oak Terrace subdivision for their new development should eminent domain be required.

What are your views on immigration at our southern border?
Also, Medians: divine intervention or Sisyphean torture?
Bob Yancy
As you indicate, I am not a declared candidate for state rep and have yet to decide. My thoughts on your 3 questions are as a citizen of Brazos County, not a candidate for anything.

1) High Speed Rail - I wish one of the transparency bills had passed. I am not in favor of massive lengths of eminent domain stretching from Houston to Dallas. I'm curious why using existing railway right of way hasn't been explored. They could potentially use elevated tracks over the existing ground tracks, which would virtually eliminate eminent domain. Property owners with current easements for ground tracks could be paid for another easement just for the support columns' base, if needed. Railway already exists in an almost straight shot from Houston to Dallas already. High Speed Rail could be a massive economic benefit, but not at the expense of a regulatory taking and trampling on private property rights.

2) New Bryan Development - I'm an elected councilman for the citizens of College Station, and respectfully decline to weigh in on what my friends and colleagues to the north wish to pursue for their city.

3) Out of Control Border - Its a humanitarian and criminal and economic tragedy of unbelievable proportions. There's been more loss of life, largely unreported, under this administration that is unprecedented. The same people who cried out in anguish over the wrong-headed child separation policy bite their tongue as men, women and children die and are abused in historic numbers on both sides of the border. It's a crying shame and it needs to be stopped and order restored to legal immigration.

My $.02, respectfully.
75AG
AG
Appreciate you taking time to answer those three questions. They are important issues. However, as a recently retired 25-year lobbyist in Austin, here's the real poop:

Whomever runs and wins this seat, their positions and votes will be dictated by the Speaker and other House leaders. A 1st year House member is right down there with a fish in the Corps. They're in the building. They'll answer lots of constituent's phone calls, emails, a few letters, meet/eat/drink with lots of lobbyists, and follow orders.

By their third session, they'll have some influence. That's real life in the Pink Building.
Bob Yancy
I'm pretty good at following orders from my God, my conscience, my wife, my attorney, the bylaws of the organization I serve at any given time, the police, and my commanding officer. Beyond that, not so much.

Part of my research calculus is what you allude to. If that's truly the case, I'll likely continue to serve the citizens of College Station for as long as they'll have me.

Respectfully,
75AG
AG
You sound like a guy who would serve his constituents well in either position.

I've know many people who have run for the Texas House and Senate and have grand views and plans (certainly not saying you are one of those people) only to face reality on day one. It's a long, boring, often frustrating first 140 days.

Best of luck in your decision. And thank you for your service to our community!
Bob Yancy
Thanks for the kind words. Fred Brown told me the first two terms newbies keep their mouth shut and ask questions only. My question to you is, what happens to those that don't? Bad committee assignments? No committee assignments?

I'm accustomed to having an immediate impact in the leadership roles I've been blessed to have. Are you saying that's impossible in the state house? A guy can't make a difference for 4 years?

What if he's compelling as all get out? ;-)
75AG
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Thanks for the kind words. Fred Brown told me the first two terms newbies keep their mouth shut and ask questions only. My question to you is, what happens to those that don't? Bad committee assignments? No committee assignments?

I'm accustomed to having an immediate impact in the leadership roles I've been blessed to have. Are you saying that's impossible in the state house? A guy can't make a difference for 4 years?

What if he's compelling as all get out? ;-)
I was probably being a little overdramatic with the 3 sessions comment. Certainly by the second session, you could have some serious committee positions. And solid ideas given to leadership certainly can become policy planks.

My unsolicited advice for anyone getting into the legislature is to befriend the speaker immediately. Work with him/her. Fund raise for him/her. Make sure you support the right him/her. :-) Find out who will be the chair of the appropriations committee and do the same. Any committee interests you have, find out as quickly as you can who likely will get that chair, and do the same. I've known many new legislators who didn't do those things and didn't move up quickly. But that's just internal politicking 101 and you know how to do that.

One final $0.02, in the city council there are differing opinions. But almost everyone is coming from the same place - both physical and political. That's not the truth in the statehouse. Opinions are far and wide from every direction.

Again, best of luck with your decision.
rich1
AG
Thank you for your response. It is refreshing to have someone that is willing to engage with one of their anonymous message board constituents.
Bob Yancy
Thanks! I believe in the initial promise of social media as the modern town square. Sadly, it's devolved- but only if we let it. I like to debate with respect, and hold civility even in disagreement. If we all go into our respective corner and hurl insults at each other, no one wins.

Thanks again for the kind words. Council just let out. Long day. I'm out.

- yancy
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Bob Yancy
I've spoken with him several times since then.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
techno-ag
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I will say this....

Years ago when Fred Brown was our rep we had a fairly big issue with a state agency (don't want to get into specifics as its a long story) but after we voiced this issue with Fred, he showed a lot of interest and initiative in going out and trying to solve the problem for us by working with the state agency, acting as an advocate for us, and trying to sincerely help us along the way. All the while, we were NOT any kind of contributor or anything to his campaign so other than looking out for Joe Taxpayer he really had no reason to put in the effort he did.

Unfortunately in spite of his efforts, we weren't quite able to get the outcome we were looking for but he sure as hell tried we know. I am not endorsing him , nor have I spoken to him in years but I know what he did back then and I do believe he has a sincere interest in advocating for the people in his district. I saw it first hand. Just wanted to throw that up on a public message board so people know there might be one or two good people out there trying to advocate for their constituents.
Well said, Orlando. He is fondly remembered for his service.
jac4
AG
Maybe we should follow the trend of our federal government and elect an octogenarian.
75AG
AG
Or we could understand that neither octogenarian will directly impact our lives. But in 140 days, every other year, the Texas Legislature can directly affect our lives, schools, work, medical care, everything.

Focus more on state elections.
jac4
AG
Was thinking of the many long standing senators and congresspeople as octogenarians rather than POTUS candidates.
75AG
AG
Agree with you. But Congress works at glacial speed, while the TexLeg can screw up your life overnight.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
trouble
AG
75AG said:

Agree with you. But Congress works at glacial speed, while the TexLeg can screw up your life overnight.

Amen!

Local and state elections are where change starts!
Bob Yancy
A few years back. Not since.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
masteraggieaka2%ER
AG
FYI:

Karl Mooney facebook

After 17 years in public office for the City of College Station (Planning & Zoning Commission, City Council and Mayor), I've taken the first step in a campaign to be a candidate for Brazos County Commissioner, Precinct 1. I filed with the County Elections Office my intent to run. Once again, Danny Stribling has agreed to be my treasurer. Any support you can give is appreciated. I will be posting a post office box and other contact information over the next few days.

Txmoe
AG
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Sure Kyle,

I didn't like how you voted against school choice.

Texans for Fiscal Responsibility give you a score of 28/100.

Young Conservatives give you a score of 47/100.

Texas Right to Live give you a score of 68/100. Not so hot for a Catholic, in my opinion.

American Conservative Union also gives you a 68/100.

All failing scores.

I think your Brazos County constituents can do better, "hereford".

Maybe poll his constituents about how they feel, vs scores from a few activist special interest lobbies?
me either. I've also met him personally and I wasn't very impressed.
EBrazosAg
AG
No - the Village People even agree. No
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
Fwiw (and I'm not exactly sure what it's worth), friends in local law enforcement let me know that in their opinion, Kirk is definitely running for this seat.

I guess no formal announcement but one of these is literally someone who worked closely with him, so who knows…

There must be a filing deadline I presume?
momlaw
AG
Monday, December 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM
momlaw

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.