John Raney stepping down, TX H14 open

23,949 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Bob Yancy
HWY6_RunsBothWays
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very happy to see Larry Hodges announcing he'll be running for TX H14. He's a great guy, a solid businessman, and C/O '89 Aggie.

Side note: Filing doesn't open until November 11 for candidates to be on the March 5, 2024 Primary ballot.

https://www.kagstv.com/article/news/politics/local-business-owner-larry-hodges-announces-bid-for-hd-14-081023/499-9e2763bf-d057-46df-a869-311f3aa94277
https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/important-election-dates.shtml
Russell Bradleys Toupee
Larry has better hair for the job.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Russell Bradleys Toupee said:

Larry has better hair for the job.
GSS
Larry Hodges, Chris Kirk....and former Rep. Fred Brown.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
GSS said:

Larry Hodges, Chris Kirk....and former Rep. Fred Brown.
Retired Sheriff Kirk that said he would stay out of the Sheriff's elections and not endorse anyone and then reversed course?
Fred who has previously held the position but resigned from the seat early and is now around 70 years old?
JYDog90
AG
Larry's a very good guy. I'd vote for him.
officerfred
Larry is the man for the job. Sheriff and Fred have spent enough time in government.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
"Brown posted on his Facebook page that he was dropping out and supporting Hodges."

https://wtaw.com/update-john-raneys-announcement-that-he-is-retiring-from-the-texas-legislature-is-followed-by-three-campaign-announcements-followed-by-one-dropping-out/
Txmoe
AG
I assumed Slocum's boy would run again but glad he's not.

Also, classy move by Fred Brown.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Larry is the man for the job.
Long time small business owner.
Involved with the community for many years.
Relationship builder and all around good guy.
He's got my vote!
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
EBrazosAg
AG
Don't assume he won't - unless there is something out there where he announced he's not. I think Hodges would have an easier time against Slocum than Raney. Hodges has his ducks in a row, got some potential rivals on his election committee, and will be very difficult to beat if nothing changes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Larry is an honest, good guy and I am sure this decision was not easy for him.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Cant believe Jess Fields didnt take that seat from that clown
Txmoe
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Don't assume he won't - unless there is something out there where he announced he's not. I think Hodges would have an easier time against Slocum than Raney. Hodges has his ducks in a row, got some potential rivals on his election committee, and will be very difficult to beat if nothing changes.
Seems even more likely today that he'll put his name in.
EBrazosAg
AG
Absolutely- I would be shocked now if he didn't.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bud Fox
I think Slocum is in. Maybe Bob Yancy or Sam Harrison also?
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Bud Fox said:

I think Slocum is in. Maybe Bob Yancy or Sam Harrison also?
So if the vote was today for Primaries, who will be in the run-off election? Slocum, Fred Brown (he might jump back in), Chris Kirk, Bob Yancy, Sam Harrison, or write in ____?
SARATOGA
Maybe I should run.

I have great ideas !

Let's start with school from the day after Labor Day to Friday before Memorial Day Weekend.

Next up, the supposed tax break for Property Taxes recently signed is yet to be seen. Let's just lock values on sale until the next sale and stop taxing people out of their homes.

Whatever the problem is, I have a solution !

Cartographer
Okay guys, I'm in... just need to see where I put my map to victory
FlyRod
Jarvis Parsons.
SARATOGA
More ideas....

East Loop: From 159 & Hwy6 up to 21 East Bound outside of (east) of Wickson Creek.
West Loop: From 159 & Wellborn up to 21 West Bound or tie into 47.

Go ahead and build another school, but build it ahead of the growth, south and west. This would be the "Riverside" sort of high school.

I'm all for promoting business, but developers need to pay more for infrastructure that serves said development. An example would be Wellborn being 4 lanes all the way to Millican. If MUD districts are going to become the norm then they have the money.

HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Quote:

...build [schools] ahead of the growth, south and west.

...developers need to pay more for infrastructure...
No, do not build schools ahead of growth. In the long term, that costs more than waiting until a school is near or at capacity. And the CoCS has not put the infrastructure (utilities, sewer, etc.) that can support a large school in the south.

The CoCS already makes developers pay for infrastructure--and sometimes, the developers have to build roads that don't even connect to anything because the all-knowing City of College Station has a "grand" long-range plan.
SARATOGA
With all due respect, this is a thread about a Texas house seat, not a local city council election. So infrastructure plans would be more TxDot.

But I'm with you. I would not trust the City of College Station to babysit a 200 pound rock for an hour. These decisions would need to be made and managed with better state entities involved, not the inept City Council and their terrible plans.
SARATOGA
But building them well inside the city footprint is also a mistake. 2 high schools 1.5 miles apart leads to illogical zoning that wastes money for years on busing and other expenses in addition to most of the parents/taxpayers wondering if you've ever had a basic geography class or driven a child or two to school in the morning rush and having to drive PAST one school to drop off at another.
Vinewood_03
Y'all talking about Andy Slocum? Played BBall for the Ags back in early 2000's….
trouble
AG
No, John Harvey Slocum
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I will say this....

Years ago when Fred Brown was our rep we had a fairly big issue with a state agency (don't want to get into specifics as its a long story) but after we voiced this issue with Fred, he showed a lot of interest and initiative in going out and trying to solve the problem for us by working with the state agency, acting as an advocate for us, and trying to sincerely help us along the way. All the while, we were NOT any kind of contributor or anything to his campaign so other than looking out for Joe Taxpayer he really had no reason to put in the effort he did.

Unfortunately in spite of his efforts, we weren't quite able to get the outcome we were looking for but he sure as hell tried we know. I am not endorsing him , nor have I spoken to him in years but I know what he did back then and I do believe he has a sincere interest in advocating for the people in his district. I saw it first hand. Just wanted to throw that up on a public message board so people know there might be one or two good people out there trying to advocate for their constituents.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
I appreciate your narrative.

Fred will be 70 soon.

Does age matter? (Loaded question)
EBrazosAg
AG
Fred has had very little local engagement beyond his church activities- admired and appreciated, but not unique- for nearly 2 decades. His time has past. I think he realizes that as well. He was a good local representative at one time. He made choices and that changed. Now is not the time for Fred to reclaim that …
Bryanisbest
AG
John Slocum v Johnny Manziel. No contest. Slocum. John Slocum v Chris Kirk? No contest. Kirk. Many years of competent service.
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Given your analysis, I'll take Slocum.
Kirk had his opportunity.
Txmoe
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Fred has had very little local engagement beyond his church activities- admired and appreciated, but not unique- for nearly 2 decades. His time has past. I think he realizes that as well. He was a good local representative at one time. He made choices and that changed. Now is not the time for Fred to reclaim that …
I think you'd be surprised at the level of engagement Brown continues to show to our community. He's still very active in local and state politics through his consulting work and service projects.

(I'm not Mrs. Brown; or any Brown for that matter. Just a guy who know Fred casually and appreciates his efforts.)
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

I think you'd be surprised at the level of engagement Brown continues to show to our community. He's still very active in local and state politics through his consulting work and service projects.

(I'm not Mrs. Brown; or any Brown for that matter. Just a guy who know Fred casually and appreciates his efforts.)
"...consulting work and service projects."
Do tell! Please elaborate on this statement.
SARATOGA
Absolutely it matters.

People CONTRIBUTE to society by working (and no, politics doesn't count) and contribute to Social Security and Medicare and Income Taxes, until the retirement age of 65-67 at which time they start COLLECTING benefits and become a drain on the system.

70 is too old for any public office.

If there are minimum ages for holding political office, doesn't it stand to reason that there are also MAXIMUM ages ?

Look at McConnell stroking out during a presser last week, and Biden stroking out, well 5 times a day.

TOO OLD.
Txmoe
AG
HWY6_RunsBothWays said:

Txmoe said:

EBrazosAg said:

"...consulting work and service projects."
Do tell! Please elaborate on this statement.
Yeah, I'm not really interested in carrying Fred's water; I was primarily responding to EBrazosAg's assertion that just because Fred hadn't served in state government for quite a while that his time has passed and he hasn't done anything for the community.

Fred's most recent cause was fighting against the dramatic increase in property taxes. He held two (I think) local meetings that were well attended, and then worked behind the scenes with state legislators to reach a solution.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.