Casa Mangiare

21,025 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by scd88
FILO505
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This entire thread is hilarious, because this restaurant is either too much, or not enough. It's Italian food, served at a high level, but it's BCS, and not all people with money wear Luccheses

Putting this on watch just for the entertainment
AG81
AG
FlyRod said:

Went tonight and I loved it. With a caveat.

When you have a wine by the bottle list and the least expensive bottle is $60, and the median bottle price is roughly twice that, you might have a problem.

Weirdly, cocktails and wines by the glass are very reasonable in contrast. So it seems the wine list is geared entirely to the devil-may-care business expense account crowd…and no one else. I honestly hope that works for them. It's the strangest wine list I've ever seen in BCS price wise, and I've been around awhile.

The prices didn't bother me as much as the selection. For a high end Italian restaurant they should have had a far more broad, if not exclusively, Italian selection. The chef wouldn't consider putting an American staple on the menu, I don't understand why the sommelier would have a wine selection predominantly non-Italian.
BluHorseShu
AG
AG81 said:

AggiePhil said:

Ace A said:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0LDYsL66Mt0wzYLRSNaiwMDMxszBONE00NDExTExLsjKoMDQ1NzRINTVMTEw1NUpKMvDiTU4sTlTITcxLz0wsSgUAoCwUKQ&q=casa+mangiare&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.46i39i175i199i362j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l11j46i39i175i199i362l2.-1j0j7&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&bshm=lbse/2

https://casamangiare.com/menu/

Maybe I missed it but they don't have the traditional Italian dishes like lasagna, manicotti, etc.?

You mean traditional Italian American dishes. This is a traditional Italy Italian fine dining restaurant. If you want traditional Italian American dining, lots of options.
Traditional meaning northern or southern Italy?
AG81
AG
BluHorseShu said:

AG81 said:

AggiePhil said:

Ace A said:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0LDYsL66Mt0wzYLRSNaiwMDMxszBONE00NDExTExLsjKoMDQ1NzRINTVMTEw1NUpKMvDiTU4sTlTITcxLz0wsSgUAoCwUKQ&q=casa+mangiare&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.46i39i175i199i362j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l11j46i39i175i199i362l2.-1j0j7&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&bshm=lbse/2

https://casamangiare.com/menu/

Maybe I missed it but they don't have the traditional Italian dishes like lasagna, manicotti, etc.?

You mean traditional Italian American dishes. This is a traditional Italy Italian fine dining restaurant. If you want traditional Italian American dining, lots of options.
Traditional meaning northern or southern Italy?

Some of both.
maroon barchetta
FlyRod
I'm glad I don't own it either because again, as much as I enjoyed my visit, it's going to have real problems with those prices in this town, especially for the wine. I made a reservation thinking it would be packed. By 7:30 it was still largely deserted, and the few customers there looked like well to do expense account folks.

I will go back and support it...while it exists.
KidDoc
AG
I made open table reservations for Mother's day evening, looking forward to it!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
crbongos
AG
I love atmosphere and wish it the best. But I think they'll need to adjust price, portion size and wine list. I love Italian wines but they need to have domestic selection too. A lot of my wine drinking friends know nothing about non California/Oregon wines.
CRBongo
halibut sinclair
What's the proximity to the bypass?
Law361
AG
FYI, they have a set menu for graduation and Mother's Day. $75 per person. I was not pleased.
KidDoc
AG
Law361 said:

FYI, they have a set menu for graduation and Mother's Day. $75 per person. I was not pleased.
Where can I find more information on this? I can swallow the $75 but only if it is stuff we like.

edit: found it and there are tons of stuff we love on it

Menu | Casa Mangiare
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AG81
AG
crbongos said:

I love atmosphere and wish it the best. But I think they'll need to adjust price, portion size and wine list. I love Italian wines but they need to have domestic selection too. A lot of my wine drinking friends know nothing about non California/Oregon wines.

They have a whole page of Napa Valley wines. A whole other page of Sonoma County wines. There are more domestic wines offered than Italian. And it's an ITALIAN restaurant.
crbongos
AG
I must have missed that. Good news!
CRBongo
VAXMaster
AG
Overall we had a good experience. Although it started off on the wrong foot when we arrived and saw that all parking spots in the lot section near the restaurant were blocked for valet only (mostly empty). To self park I had to go back towards the Homewood Suites and hike in but that was probably the only solid negative of the night.

The atmosphere was very nice, as mentioned by the OP it was possible to have a conversation without shouting! Much closer to the Rebuplic than 1860 in atmosphere. In fact I would say that CasaM and The Republic are neck and neck for the nicest dining environment in town.

The food was the highlight. I'm frequently amazed when people invest a ton in opening a restaurant only to serve mediocre food but that's not the case here, the food is very very good. The fixed price menu was billed as four courses but the small little loaf of (delicious) bread for the whole table is stretching the definition of a course. I would call it three courses. For the first course the choices at our table included octopus, beef carpaccio, fresh mozzarella, and fried cheesy rice balls - all were raved about. For the second course our table tried the Mediterranean fish, the lobster pasta dish, and another pasta dish, all excellent.

For dessert the highlight was the tiramisu which is not at all a traditional version but more of a tiramisu inspired pudding served in a mug but unbelievably good. The chocolate mousse was also not traditional, much denser than usual and served as a small scoop on a plate but again quite tasty. The least favorite dish of the night was the Panna Cotta, which was fine but the fruit was really just tiny plate decoration and the course was a small chunk of gelatinous cream.

As for the service, let's say they tried hard and I'm sure that once they get in the groove it will be on par with the food and atmosphere. In keeping with the trend in tip escalation, when the bill came it advised the tip calculation for 20%, 22%, and 25%. So for the three courses, bread, one drink each, tax, and the minimum suggested tip of 20%, it came to $115 per person.

The best local analogy I can draw is Petite Couchon food with The Republic atmosphere.

KidDoc
AG
It was expensive but awesome for Mother's day dinner. The filet mignon was top knotch.
Stucco
We went knowing about the limited menu. It was a great decision on the part of the management to be able to handle this weekend at full capacity. Everything we ate was really good, but the portions were small. I expected to leave full after a $75 four-course meal and didn't. After the experience, and looking at what we ordered on the regular menu, I would have priced it at $65. The extra $10 could have covered a family-style side each, or 2 small sides on the main dish.

Focaccia - Excellent (shared loaf)
Tuscan Salad - Excellent
Creamy Burrata - Came with a single thin piece of toast with dried fig, which was really good, but I was looking for something to spread the cheese on instead of eating it plain.
Spaghetti Lobster - Excellent
Braised Short Rib - Good, not as tender as I expected
Chocolate Mousse - Great, but tiny.
Panna Cotta - Good, but tiny.

I imagine it will be once every other year place for us. Overall, the experience was positive and I'm glad to have another option in town.
One Louder
AG
The $75 per person seemed a little steep but they did offer ala carte. But as the waiter pointed out, if you order at least two options from the ala carte, you are creeping up on $75 anyway so you might as well get the whole thing.

I ordered the filet mignon cooked medium rare and it was excellent. The Tuscan salad was so fresh and delicious. The bread was awesome and the chocolate mousse was very rich but thicker than a normal mousse. I had the Godfather(?) cocktail which got my attention because the first ingredient listed was 'coconut-infused Scotch'. You never see Scotch in cocktails, much less coconut-infused, so I was intrigued. It was actually quite delicious!
dallasiteinsa02
They need to work on their hostesses.

I tried calling for a reservation. This was the exchange:

Can I have a reservation for a party of 6 at 6:00 pm?
We don't have a table available at that time.
What time do you have available?
When do you want to come?
It would be helpful if I knew what times you have available.
It depends on when you want to come.
I get that. Do you just want me to name a time?
Yes.
Can you do 6:30?
No
Can you do 7:00?
No
We aren't getting anywhere.
Can you do 5:00?
We can make that work.
Do you have anything available after 7:00?
What time would work for you after 7:00?
Lets say 8.
We don't have anything available at 8.
Ok. Then we will just leave it at 5.
I should make you aware that because of graduation. We have a prefixed menu for $75 per person.
Ok. I will have two kids with us are they required to order off the prefixed menu.
I will have to check.

10 minutes later. I hung up.
CN
dallasiteinsa02 said:

They need to work on their hostesses.

I tried calling for a reservation. This was the exchange:

10 minutes later. I hung up.
Yikes! I'm glad I use OpenTable!
AggiePhil
AG
Sounds like the place has some major issues to sort out. We won't be going for "the experiment."
EBrazosAg
AG
One of my "rules" is never visit a restaurant in its first 3 months. I might break that on a sub $25 bill. Not on a $75 one. Ever. Just way too much to work out and too many others willing to trade their $ for the "new".
FlyRod
An excellent rule to follow in my experience.
Goat Man
AG
KidDoc said:

Law361 said:

Where can I find more information on this? I can swallow the $75 but only if it is stuff we like.

edit: found it and there are tons of stuff we love on it

Menu | Casa Mangiare
That is the menu I saw too when I reserved our 4 top. We were disappointed when we sat down Friday night and were given a very paired down menu with no option but to order the 'four course meal' due to graduation and Mother's Day. I reserved the table from their website for the record.

The food was good but not as good as other Italian food I have had previously. It has a really nice atmosphere, I could see going back for a special occasion but I am worried there will not be enough special occasions overall to keep the doors open. I do hope it makes it as it is nice to have another Italian option in town.
Bigfootisreal
Wife and I went this weekend and loved the atmosphere. The food was really good, but at that price point it would be hard to justify eating there except on special occasions. My duck might be the best I've had, but 2 slices of duck breast for $42 is crazy.

For the money Christophers offers much more in the way of variety and portions.
Wicked Good Ag
$44 for risottoo is a bit high compared to most places that are considered fine dining for Italian

Glad to hear it is good may have to check it out
ags4rocks
Went last night for best friends birthday. 6 of us in party. Started at bar with a cocktail, (drinks were alright!). Ordered a few appetizers, and more drinks before main meal. For some reason the restaurant thought a new waiter was that had only been there one week was the best choice of a server for our table. Food finally came out and it was a little cold. One of our meals was ordered as gluten free pasta. The pasta came out and we clarified is this gluten free? The waiter was like let me check, came back and was like nope, but he assured he would get it out! Our food came out cold and was mediocre.. while the gluten free person watched us all eat. We ordered wine with main meal and he had to come back to table three times to ask us what wine we asked for!!

Anyway overall experience was not great especially for price point. I'm in Austin almost three days a week and this place was way below service and food quality but price point way above.. I had high hopes for this place and I will go again, and I hope they get things figured out.. but I was thoroughly underwhelmed.. Also there was only like maybe 8 -10 other table with people at so it wasn't like they were overly busy or anything like that.
Picadillo
Finest restaurant / finest bar and wine list in town. Glad something this upscale is available. Michelin star rating would be no surprise.
ags4rocks
That's some crazy talk…
MS08
AG
Picadillo said:

Finest restaurant / finest bar and wine list in town. Glad something this upscale is available. Michelin star rating would be no surprise.

You serious, Clark?
Rexter
MS08 said:

Picadillo said:

You serious, Clark?

Flat tire?
Azeew
Corporal Punishment said:

I went last night and it was top-notch. I think they'll do well. They have an elegant decor and the pictures online don't lie. Our food, drinks, and service were excellent (calamari, scallops, short ribs, cocktails, wine, coffee). The portions aren't huge and no doubt that the regulars here will complain but that's not the type of place this is.

My only irritation wasn't the restaurant...it was the guys wearing their baseball caps (backwards no less) in a classy establishment that commands better. I wonder if they got lost on their way to Chili's. They weren't alone - some senior citizens were dressed like vagabonds. Sure, these folks were in the minority but, C'mon people...

That's sad to hear about the baseball cappers and senior vagabonds. Reminds me of going to Brennan's in New Orleans one Easter Sunday. They were letting mullets in shorts fine. Hasn't been the same since Blake Brennan left.
Jsimonds58
AG
WAzeew said:

I went last night and it was top-notch. I think they'll do well. They have an elegant decor and the pictures online don't lie. Our food, drinks, and service were excellent (calamari, scallops, short ribs, cocktails, wine, coffee). The portions aren't huge and no doubt that the regulars here will complain but that's not the type of place this is.

My only irritation wasn't the restaurant...it was the guys wearing their baseball caps (backwards no less) in a classy establishment that commands better. I wonder if they got lost on their way to Chili's. They weren't alone - some senior citizens were dressed like vagabonds. Sure, these folks were in the minority but, C'mon people...

That's sad to hear about the baseball cappers and senior vagabonds. Reminds me of going to Brennan's in New Orleans one Easter Sunday. They were letting mullets in shorts fine. Hasn't been the same since Blake Brennan left.
FILO505
AG
Azeew said:

I can only hope that this is satire because if you had actual scratch, you would've found yourself in a different dining area
hoodlum98
AG
My wife and I went Sunday evening and the place was 3/4 empty. The menu was not easy to understand how to order and exactly what you were ordering. Basically what I ended up with was a square spaghetti noodle and Alfredo sauce, nothing spectacular. My wife ordered the lobster spaghetti and it had to be sent back because the lobster was chewy and the noodles had no flavor.

The other bad thing was that the couple next to us, we didn't know them, ordered the same items as us and their lobster spaghetti was sent back as well.

We were not happy with the food at all, the service was good but it was way overpriced for something g I could've gotten at any normal restaurant.
MS08
AG
hoodlum98 said:

My wife and I went Sunday evening and the place was 3/4 empty. The menu was not easy to understand how to order and exactly what you were ordering. Basically what I ended up with was a square spaghetti noodle and Alfredo sauce, nothing spectacular. My wife ordered the lobster spaghetti and it had to be sent back because the lobster was chewy and the noodles had no flavor.

The other bad thing was that the couple next to us, we didn't know them, ordered the same items as us and their lobster spaghetti was sent back as well.

We were not happy with the food at all, the service was good but it was way overpriced for something g I could've gotten at any normal restaurant.

Exactly the type of reviews restaurants get that are on their way to Michelin stars.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.