Casa Mangiare

20,909 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by scd88
BryanPooch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michelin doesn't rate Texas restaurants. Maybe someday. It just started doing so in Florida last year.
BryanPooch
BCS-Ag
crbongos said:

I must have missed that. Good news!

We asked if they had any Texas wines when we went, but the waitress said only Italian. We got cocktails instead.
lawless89
We went Friday evening as a group of four. The service was excellent and the cocktails were good, but the food was a miss for 3 of the 4 of us.

We ordered focaccia bread and all four of us agreed the bread was terrible. It's like they forgot to add salt and it literally had zero flavor. It was just texture. I got one of the recommended pasta dishes and again with the lack of flavor. My wife got the lobster pizza and although it looked fantastic, again the bread and sauce had no flavor. Maybe the chef that evening ran out of seasoning! For $100/person, I'm looking to spend my money elsewhere in the future. I'd usually always give a place another try, but I don't think the menu was expansive enough for me to want to risk another couple hundred bucks on a dinner and be disappointed.

Also worth noting, Friday evening at 7:30pm the restaurant was probably a quarter full. Sad to see because I know they spent a ton of money on that place. Hopefully they get some stuff figured out and make it!
MS08
AG
Try Kanji if you have not. Good execution. Misses on the broiled octopus and diver scallop but could have been an off night on those or that type of seafood is not their forte. Everything else was very solid - we sampled a lot of things.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
lawless89 said:

We went Friday evening as a group of four. The service was excellent and the cocktails were good, but the food was a miss for 3 of the 4 of us.

We ordered focaccia bread and all four of us agreed the bread was terrible. It's like they forgot to add salt and it literally had zero flavor. It was just texture. I got one of the recommended pasta dishes and again with the lack of flavor. My wife got the lobster pizza and although it looked fantastic, again the bread and sauce had no flavor. Maybe the chef that evening ran out of seasoning! For $100/person, I'm looking to spend my money elsewhere in the future. I'd usually always give a place another try, but I don't think the menu was expansive enough for me to want to risk another couple hundred bucks on a dinner and be disappointed.

Also worth noting, Friday evening at 7:30pm the restaurant was probably a quarter full. Sad to see because I know they spent a ton of money on that place. Hopefully they get some stuff figured out and make it!

There's plenty of room in this market imo for more good Italian. I hope they make it too but the real shame will be if future good operators /restaurants look at this place and or Carinos closing and determine there's not enough of a market here in CS to give it a try to open another one.

BryanPooch
Who reads reviews on Google? Most reviewers there have many, many reviews, often several hundred.

Those on Google for Casa Mangiare make me suspicious. A majority of those who reviewed Casa Mangiare have fewer than 10 reviews, sometimes just one or two. The phrases and the praises for those are oddly similar, too.

Those declaring we finally have a fine dining destination make me want to stay away at least two more months. I'm betting the menu gets altered and the value gets enhanced by then. Otherwise there's a big tax write off in the offing.
BryanPooch
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Local, established and well reviewed restaurants have multiple days waiting list for 5:30-8:00pm in many cases.

Primrose probably the best example

Plenty of room for several new entries but service, selection and execution matter.

Next few years should be good for the consumers IMO
AG
My wife and I are going tomorrow night.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.