Casa Mangiare

20,359 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by scd88
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's open, and it's spectacular.

Reader's digest version. Finest Italian Restaurant in town, and it's not close. Better than any Italian Restaurant I've been to in Houston (been to about all of them) and as fine an Italian place as you'll find in Italy.

Details.....

This is Italian Fine Dining. You want carb loading, go somewhere else, though the pastas here are breathtaking. We had the Creamy Buratta for the appetizer, split the Chilean Sea Bass, the Short Rib Ravioli, and the Amatriciana. The appetizer was just delicious, if you haven't had Buratta, it's kind like a brie, but that's an unjust comparison. Just delicious. The Chilean Sea Bass with the accompanying sauce if you choose to use it was the best I've ever put in my mouth. Both pastas were perfectly prepared with the Short Rib Ravioli having a wonderfully beefy sauce with a hint of mint and basil. The Amatriciana is a pasta dish with a light tomato sauce and crispy cured Italian meat (think bacon, but better). The pasta was perfectly al dente and the combination sauce and cured meat was just perfect. For desert we had the tiramisu and what can best be described as a cross between gelato and a mouse (chocolate) served with raspberries. The Tiramisu was the most perfectly blended coffee and vanilla I've had. The other (can't remember the name and it's not on the menu) was very good, but the Tiramisu stole the show.

The wine list is extensive and if you can't find something you like, you're doing it wrong. In addition to the wide offerings of Italian whites and reds, they had an extensive selection of Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Burgundy,, Bordeaux, Champagne, dessert wines, fortified wines, I can't remember it all. They also have a selection from the Sommelier, who likes Spanish Tempranillos, but it's broader than just that.

The ambiance is fine dining, the volume level even when full is soft enough for you to have an intimate dinner with your significant other without having to shout to be heard (yes, that is aimed at 1860 Italia).

The chef is an Italian. He studied at a southern Italian Culinary school in Italy and it shows.

The service takes a team approach, no need to hope to see your waiter, and they are attentive but not overbearing. They'll get better to, as this was their grand opening. While needing improvement to be world class, it's better than anything else in town already.

Bottom line, you want fine Italian Dining, this is the place for you. If you like decent Italian food with a loud party-like atmosphere, then 1860 Italia is for you. If you want good ole Italian food that doesn't have a loud atmosphere, wait for Fritella's to reopen. In order of preference of strictly quality, I'd put Casa Mangiare first, Fritella's second, and 1860 Italia third. This was the best Italian meal I've had in decades. Can't wait to go back. Your mileage may vary.

studioone

Mr G's spinning in his grave....
Jsimonds58
AG
How does this stack up with amico?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Menu?
AggiePhil
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Uh…
halibut sinclair
Frittella, not "Fritella's"
AG81
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

I'll stand by my assessment.
woodiewood1
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Menu?
If's online. I assume this is it?

https://mangiarerestaurant.com/Menu.html
AG81
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Menu?
If's online. I assume this is it?

https://mangiarerestaurant.com/Menu.html

No, that's not it.
trouble
AG
I haven't found an online presence for them.
Ace A
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0LDYsL66Mt0wzYLRSNaiwMDMxszBONE00NDExTExLsjKoMDQ1NzRINTVMTEw1NUpKMvDiTU4sTlTITcxLz0wsSgUAoCwUKQ&q=casa+mangiare&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.46i39i175i199i362j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l11j46i39i175i199i362l2.-1j0j7&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&bshm=lbse/2

https://casamangiare.com/menu/
AG81
AG
Ace A said:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0LDYsL66Mt0wzYLRSNaiwMDMxszBONE00NDExTExLsjKoMDQ1NzRINTVMTEw1NUpKMvDiTU4sTlTITcxLz0wsSgUAoCwUKQ&q=casa+mangiare&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.46i39i175i199i362j46i39i199i362i465j35i39i362l11j46i39i175i199i362l2.-1j0j7&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&bshm=lbse/2

Bingo! That's it.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Now, I am curious. What is the full-listing of Italian restaurants in B/CS?

With the aforementioned on the list:

Cafe Capri
Luigi's

Is that it?
halibut sinclair
Buford T. Justice said:

Now, I am curious. What is the full-listing of Italian restaurants in B/CS?

With the aforementioned on the list:

Cafe Capri
Luigi's

Is that it?
OLIVE GARDEN
AggiePhil
AG
Ace A said:

Maybe I missed it but they don't have the traditional Italian dishes like lasagna, manicotti, etc.?
Jsimonds58
AG
Amico nave?
CN
It's good but I don't think it'll last with its current concept.

They recommend you make your order as a four course meal. But it's like going to the Republic and them saying we recommend you order a four course meal and have you order something off the appetizer, salad, steak, and dessert menu at full price and calling it a four course meal. It made absolutely no sense. We just ordered what we wanted.

It's pricey. My wife ordered a half portion entree and it really was a half portion but what at a price you'd expect to pay for a full portion anywhere else. Again, fine, you get what you pay for and she enjoyed it but the whole concept was just a little weird.
woodiewood1
You can order however you want. We did.
australopithecus robustus
Looking at the menu, it looks pretty darn good. It may be too high end for BCS, though. Particularly in that large a space. If they can develop a strong alcohol program it could work, much like republic. I like going to republic from time to time for some drinks, but the food leaves a lot to be desired. If casa m takes some of the drinking crowd, but then has the food to back it up, that would be something.
AggiePhil
AG
On the KBTX interview, she asked him "Why College Station?" and he didn't really have a good answer.
AG81
AG
AggiePhil said:

Ace A said:

Maybe I missed it but they don't have the traditional Italian dishes like lasagna, manicotti, etc.?

You mean traditional Italian American dishes. This is a traditional Italy Italian fine dining restaurant. If you want traditional Italian American dining, lots of options.
FlyRod
Question: does the bar look like a place you could go solo after a rough day at work and comfortably chill? Amico is one of my go-to places for that so I'm genuinely curious. I only got a peek at the place briefly but it seemed it might be ok for this.
AG81
AG
FlyRod said:

Question: does the bar look like a place you could go solo after a rough day at work and comfortably chill? Amico is one of my go-to places for that so I'm genuinely curious. I only got a peek at the place briefly but it seemed it might be ok for this.

Yes, absolutely. When I first walked in that we my first thought. We even told the hostess that because we were early for our reservation we'd be perfectly fine waiting at the bar. We'll go particularly early next time for that very purpose.
FlyRod
Thanks! Will likely make a foray early this week!
doubledog
"Frittella Italian Cafe announces plans to reopen this summer"

I think I can wait a few weeks...

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/06/frittella-italian-caf-announces-plans-reopen-this-summer/
Corporal Punishment
AG
I went last night and it was top-notch. I think they'll do well. They have an elegant decor and the pictures online don't lie. Our food, drinks, and service were excellent (calamari, scallops, short ribs, cocktails, wine, coffee). The portions aren't huge and no doubt that the regulars here will complain but that's not the type of place this is.

My only irritation wasn't the restaurant...it was the guys wearing their baseball caps (backwards no less) in a classy establishment that commands better. I wonder if they got lost on their way to Chili's. They weren't alone - some senior citizens were dressed like vagabonds. Sure, these folks were in the minority but, C'mon people...
EliteElectric
YMMV but I think people who take eating out too seriously do it for their own good only. I have never dressed up to go to dinner. Ever.

I have eaten at some of the most highly awarded and recognized places in America usually in flip flops/or tenni's, shorts and a ball cap.
maroon barchetta
Admit it.

You were wearing Crocs.
EliteElectric
Not a crocks guy buy have worn hey dudes lol
CN
AggiePhil said:

On the KBTX interview, she asked him "Why College Station?" and he did t really have a good answer.
I thought the Casa do Brasil people were involved in this?
cypress-ag
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

I went last night and it was top-notch. I think they'll do well. They have an elegant decor and the pictures online don't lie. Our food, drinks, and service were excellent (calamari, scallops, short ribs, cocktails, wine, coffee). The portions aren't huge and no doubt that the regulars here will complain but that's not the type of place this is.

My only irritation wasn't the restaurant...it was the guys wearing their baseball caps (backwards no less) in a classy establishment that commands better. I wonder if they got lost on their way to Chili's. They weren't alone - some senior citizens were dressed like vagabonds. Sure, these folks were in the minority but, C'mon people...
So.... a Brauninger sighting?
CN
Corporal Punishment said:

No comment on the baseball cap but one of the things I love about this town is that I don't have to dress up for any of the nicer restaurants in the area. I'm not saying I show up in shorts and sandals but my typical jeans and a polo isn't out of place anywhere in town.
99StationAG
AG
CN said:

AggiePhil said:

On the KBTX interview, she asked him "Why College Station?" and he did t really have a good answer.
I thought the Casa do Brasil people were involved in this?
Yes, they are. Part of the same Restaurant Group.
FlyRod
Went tonight and I loved it. With a caveat.

When you have a wine by the bottle list and the least expensive bottle is $60, and the median bottle price is roughly twice that, you might have a problem.

Weirdly, cocktails and wines by the glass are very reasonable in contrast. So it seems the wine list is geared entirely to the devil-may-care business expense account crowd…and no one else. I honestly hope that works for them. It's the strangest wine list I've ever seen in BCS price wise, and I've been around awhile.
TyHolden
AG
I guess no MD 20/20 then...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.