BCAD Notices Mailed

27,329 Views | 199 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by maroon barchetta
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got mine in the mail 2 days ago
SW AG80
AG
Got mine yesterday.
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Got mine in the mail 2 days ago

This

Pretty sure I changed my mailing address with them last year to our P.O. Box since delivery at home is erratic.

Yet it showed up at our house.
aggiefan2002
I fought (and won) before the arbitration board a couple of years ago which held my value for that year and the next year. Now this year they've bumped me a remarkable 36% which comes out to over $350/foot. Looking forward to spending hours fighting again. God bless America.
histag10
AG
I'll be lucky if we ever get it. We are frequently missing mail, and she only seems to show up once or twice a week.
aneisch
AG
If you are seeing N/A online you can replace "Smith" with your name in https://esearch.brazoscad.org/Search/SearchResults?keywords=Smith%20Year:2024&page=1&pageSize=25&filter=null&sort=null and then look for "appraisedValue" on the resulting page under your property listing. YMMV, not sure why some are set to display "N/A"

histag10
AG
Edit- nm. Found it
histag10
AG
welp.....

only a 7% increase this year.

43% increase in 2 years, and 106% increase since 2019 when we purchased the property.

Our house is a modular home on a pier and beam foundation. for some reason, our tax docs now say its a mobile home on a mobile pad with mobile hookup, and yet they have increased its value by leaps and bounds....
classicdoug
AG
Does anyone have a list of the "codes?" I built a metal building on my property last year and they coded it as MBA and the open porch part of the building as MBL. My neighbor behind me has a similar metal building and it is coded MBG.

I'm listed as N/A right now too, but used the link above to find that, as I expected, the value is miles overboard.
snaglepuss
someone's got to pay for those medians...
VStarr2024
AG
My entire street went up 30% on improvements. $60-80k increase across the board. Had a buddy's go up the same amount in Southwood Valley as well. Seems that they may have targeted the entire area for an increase.
dubi
AG
histag10 said:

Are yall seeing valuations online or in the mailer? I haven't gotten it in the mail yet, and online it has "N/A" on 2024

Mail
Dufflepud
classicdoug said:

Does anyone have a list of the "codes?" I built a metal building on my property last year and they coded it as MBA and the open porch part of the building as MBL. My neighbor behind me has a similar metal building and it is coded MBG.

I'm listed as N/A right now too, but used the link above to find that, as I expected, the value is miles overboard.
This might help.
BiochemAg97
AG
ukbb2003 said:

dubi said:

ukbb2003 said:

Brazos CAD has lost their ever living minds. In Southwood Valley, total value went from $386k to 602k on a 33 year old house. I couldn't even come close to selling for $602k

I suspect that is a typo in their system. Call them.

I just checked my street on Brazos CAD, all seem to have skyrocketed like mine. At 602k, they are putting my house at $222 per square foot. That is new build prices. It's insane.

For all those thinking the appraisals are insane, ask a realtor to get you the comps for your house and run the adjustments for your house. You can challenge based on the sales price of the comps in the area.

You may be right and have a great argument for contesting the value, or you may be surprised at what you could sell your house for.
hopeandrealchange
BiochemAg97 said:

ukbb2003 said:

dubi said:

ukbb2003 said:

Brazos CAD has lost their ever living minds. In Southwood Valley, total value went from $386k to 602k on a 33 year old house. I couldn't even come close to selling for $602k

I just checked my street on Brazos CAD, all seem to have skyrocketed like mine. At 602k, they are putting my house at $222 per square foot. That is new build prices. It's insane.

For all those thinking the appraisals are insane, ask a realtor to get you the comps for your house and run the adjustments for your house. You can challenge based on the sales price of the comps in the area.

You may be right and have a great argument for contesting the value, or you may be surprised at what you could sell your house for.

I currently have a house in College Station listed for sale.
The listed price is 5k below the 2023 BrazosCad appraised value. My realtor is getting very little activity on the listing. The 2024 Appraised value according to Brazos County is 45k higher than the listed sales price.
For years I have believed they are pulling their appraisals from their backside.
Last years board hearings were a joke. Two rubber stamping exactly what the county recommended and a third extremely frustrated honest individual who could not get a word in.
Something has got to change.
ukbb2003
BiochemAg97 said:

ukbb2003 said:

dubi said:

ukbb2003 said:

I was working with a realtor at the end of last year as we were thinking of selling. We were in the $425k-$450k range, definitely not $600k.

A house just went for sale close to me and is listed at $174 a foot.
sirhc
AG
Anyone have good experience using a third party to protest?
quantumleap
sirhc said:

Anyone have good experience using a third party to protest?

I've had a good experience with Ownwell so far...in fact, last year they got my valuation reduced from $275k, down to $250k, and even with that great result, they didn't charge me anything as my tax bill wasn't ultimately reduced (as the previous value was about $250k) - which is one of the things I like about their model, in that you can get reductions, but only have a pay a fee (25% of what they save you on your tax bill) if your bill actually goes down.

If you are interested, here is a referral link, that will get you a $20 credit toward any future fee (and full disclosure, I would also get a $20 credit if you use this link to sign up):

https://www.ownwell.com/referral?owl=2F6A1Z737

Hope this helps!
nought
AG
Zero chance my house would sell for anything close to what they have now appraised it for. In fact, zero chance it would sell for what they appraised it for last year, and now it is 25% more! Oh, but wait -- we're all supposed to vote for the school bond because poor school hasn't been able to take care of the field house over the years so now it is full of leaks and has to completely be redone. Wish I could re-do my house on the taxpayer dime!

You know what has leaks? My house. You know what needs work? My house. I don't have the money to maintain it as much as I would like, yet they think it went up 20% last year and 25% this year.

It is all but impossible to protest the appraisal without comps, but I don't have a special realtor friend who can give me comps. All I know is houses near me have sat on the market for many months with asking prices far less per square foot than they think my house is worth. I tried using an online protest company last year. Jack Squat.

How do we change out the people behind the extortion (oh I'm so sorry, I meant...) appraisal district?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

ukbb2003 said:

dubi said:

ukbb2003 said:

You're not going to find many sales comps that help. The low supply we saw all of last year only helped push prices up on most properties. And the values are stuck from Jan 1st viewpoint. Well interest rates were closer to 6.0% then vs the 7.5%+ they are now. Houses are not moving at much of anything unless it's a fire sale or bargain prices. There were several homes for sale earlier this year that went under contract within 2 weeks of listing and now a few of the homes listed for sale are sitting for 4+ weeks as inflation has been proven to not gone down.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
One of my listings is in the same boat with respect to traffic has slowed to a crawl on it because interest rates are relentlessly risen over the last 4 weeks.
sirhc
AG
Thanks. Do you get an agent or rep to talk to once you sign up and before they go protest?

Want to discuss my situation with them
dubi
AG
Article in the Houston Chronicle this morning with the following headline:

Nearly half of Harris County home values dropped in 2024, early data shows. Here's why.

Quote:

Most Harris County homeowners who have gotten 2024 property appraisals saw either no change or a decrease in property values, according to early numbers from the Harris Central Appraisal District.

Property appraisal notices have gone out to the majority of the 1.2 million total residential houses in Harris County, said chief appraiser Roland Altinger.
VIDEO: Chief appraisers answer reader questions about property appraisals and protests
The appraisal district sends notifications of appraised value, which are later used to calculate property taxes, to homeowners throughout the month of April.

Of the values already sent, appraisal district data shows about 13% of homeowners saw no change, 48% saw decreases in appraised value and around 40% of homeowners saw increases.
This is in contrast to the past two years when nearly all homes in the county experienced appraisal value increases.
To determine these year-over-year changes, the Chronicle looked at the HCAD-appraised property values for each year, before any exemptions were applied. Property owners still have time to protest their appraised values, which could lead to changes in some percentages later in 2024.

The explanation comes down to mortgage rates, Altinger said. At a current average of around 7%, mortgage rates are almost double what they were in 2020.
Ideally, he said, homes will be valued by appraisal district at what they could sell for at fair market value. If homes aren't selling, that drives a potential sale price down and in turn drives the tax appraisal value down.

"My job is to put market value on all the 1.9 million (total real estate) parcels in Harris County," he said. "I'm here to fairly allocate that tax burden."
According to Texas law, the property value from the appraisal district must be within 3% of the property's potential sale price on the real estate market. Altinger said appraisers are diligent in making sure the numbers match.
KATY INSIDER NEWSLETTER: Never miss a story with our twice-weekly newsletter
Recently elevated interest rates have deterred home buyers, he said, resulting in a static market compared to previous years.

"If you go back a year ago, interest rates were 2.5-3%," he said. "For two years, 2022 and 2023, the market was the hottest I've ever seen in my 40-plus years in this business."
Simply put, those low interest rates drove home values up, which in turn drove market value up, resulting in higher tax appraisals in 2022 and 2023.

HELP WITH PROTEST: Should you hire a firm to protest your property appraisal? Here's what to know
Higher interest rates have caused the inverse. The Houston Association of Realtors in April stated Houston-area home sales fell 7.5% year-over-year in March and suggested mortgage rates around 7% could be to blame, the Chronicle's Marissa Luck reported.
Compounding the issue, Altinger said, is that salaries have not increased commensurate with interest rates.

"People have the same amount of money coming in each month, but purchasing power has not increased," he said. "People can't afford as much house as they could two years ago."
The preliminary numbers reported by the appraisal district do not represent all appraisals for 2024 and will be updated.

TAX EXEMPTIONS:
You might be paying too much in property taxes. These exemptions help
Correction (April 26, 12:04 p.m.): This article has been updated to reflect the correct title of the Harris Central Appraisal District.

April 26, 2024

I am curious why ours is sky high and Houston is going down?
Mumbo Jimbo
Because our appraisal district is out of touch with reality, the market has changed!!
maroon barchetta
tl;dr

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.