BCAD Notices Mailed

21,148 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by texAZtea
NateDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iisanaggie said:

PSA for those over 65: Even though part of your taxes are frozen, your appraised values still affect the rest of us. Almost every time we have protested, BCAD used comp houses with owners over 65. If you know your home is overvalued, please protest.
If not for yourself, for the benefit of whomever someday inherits your home.
Tumble Weed
28.5 % for this year
58% since 2020

My income has not increased at this rate. This is not sustainable.
philothea
Tumble Weed said:

28.5 % for this year
58% since 2020

My income has not increased at this rate. This is not sustainable.
Same here. 51% since 2020 evaluation 158% since 2015.
ukbb2003
Up 93% since 2015, 48% since 2020.
George Costanza
Scary thought … the Texas Comptroller thinks our appraised values are too low.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/pvs/2022p/021index.php
MemphisAg1
AG
My appraisal went up 23% last year and the assessment was capped at +10%.

Appraisal is flat this year but the assessment went up another 10%, almost reaching the appraised value.

I wonder if they didn't bother to update my appraisal since they knew it was already capped at +10%.

Regardless, they need to lower the tax rate to offset the higher property value. The county shouldn't get a windfall in revenue just because property values go up.
unmade bed
Bought at $305k in 2013. It was assessed at right around that amount. Slowly crept up $8-10k per year ever since but these mofos have gotten bold since 2020.

2020- $348k
2021- $358k
2022- $403k
2023- $523k

I guess since i didn't protest the 60k increase last year they figured they could stick me with a 120k increase this year.
Mumbo Jimbo
whoops
CS78
I hope everyone remembers this the next time you are asked to vote yes on a bunch of bond proposals.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
CS78 said:

I hope everyone remembers this the next time you are asked to vote yes on a bunch of bond proposals.

But won't someone think about my College Station Baseball fields that I didn't know I needed until they broke ground?

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AG81
AG
Bend over, it's gonna hurt. Comparable aren't in owners favor. Appeals will be tough. The "this increase isn't fair" won't fly. Try to win with staff. You will lose if you go before the volunteer board. Hiring a firm is okay, but they'll be handling a ton of appeals and unless you're a slam dunk, you'll be used as a bargaining chip, " give me these and I'll concede the others" kind of thing. You may be able to win on your own, but you better have supporting data. It's not hard but it's time consuming. I'm not appealing because despite the large increase, I'm still the lowest in my neighborhood within my quality rating. If you're not, your argument is to should be at least equal to the lowest, someone has to set the floor!

These are my opinions.
AG81
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

CS78 said:

But won't someone think about my College Station Baseball fields that I didn't know I needed until they broke ground?

The Appraisal District is a county entity, not College Station or Bryan.
AG81
AG
George Costanza said:

Scary thought … the Texas Comptroller thinks our appraised values are too low.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/pvs/2022p/021index.php

No, your local school district does. This is just a compilation of data submitted by the school districts.
George Costanza
School districts don't appraise values to the Comptroller. The values are determined by the CAD and the Comptroller reviews the "accuracy, equity, and uniformity" of the CAD's appraisals and that review is used to effect our local school districts' state funding.

Not sure about other school districts, but the Brazos County ISDs don't really care how high tax valuations are over a 2.5% increase. Anything over that results in tax rate compression. On the flip side though, if the Texas Comptroller finds that valuations are "too low" compared to what it believes they should be for more than one year in a row … state funding to the ISD is proportionally decreased.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Just checked on a friend's home that I helped him buy in CS less than two years ago for 350K. It just jumped from 367K in 2022 to 475K today. Highway robbery.
Carnwellag2
with such large increases - the county is going to go crazy with all that extra cash.

I am a firm believer that taxable value on your homestead should be capped at the first year after purchase. It should only reset after there is a sale. people budget based on mortgage, insurance, and property tax when buying a home. pricing people out of their home is ridiculous.

If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

with such large increases - the county is going to go crazy with all that extra cash.

I am a firm believer that taxable value on your homestead should be capped at the first year after purchase. It should only reset after there is a sale. people budget based on mortgage, insurance, and property tax when buying a home. pricing people out of their home is ridiculous.

If the county/ city/ isd needs more tax revenue they should have to raise the tax rate and be subject to their constituents.

Cant tell you how many long term owners I've heard from that say they end up paying more in property taxes vs what their mortgage costs. And it's starting to dwarf what the mortgage costs.

Paying 2%+ of the property's value on a yearly basis erodes a lot of the returns you'd get if you were to look at the property as an investment.
hopeandrealchange
Carnwellag2 said:

Think about the tenants in rental properties.
George Costanza
"The city of College Station has been striving for diversity for years."

Has it though?
spike427
AG

Carnwellag2 said:

Cant tell you how many long term owners I've heard from that say they end up paying more in property taxes vs what their mortgage costs. And it's starting to dwarf what the mortgage costs.

Paying 2%+ of the property's value on a yearly basis erodes a lot of the returns you'd get if you were to look at the property as an investment.

I'm not a landlord and unless either my value or the tax rate changes, this year I will be paying more in taxes than my mortgage. And I've lived here for 2.5 years.
TXAGGIE1991
Appraised value up 20% this year over last and more than 50% since 2020. Prior to that, increased an average of 2.5% Assessed value increased the max of 10% the past 2 years. Can someone explain to me how this rate of increase is necessary with the incredible number of new homes and businesses being built in this area already generating increased revenues? Is there a resource where we can find more information about where all this extra money being spent?
pacecar02
I live in a modest home

Taxes have always exceded principal
Another Doug
AG
AG81 said:

CS78 said:

The Appraisal District is a county entity, not College Station or Bryan.
Not really. The board of AD is made up of appointees from all taxing units (county, cities and ISD's)

pacecar02
scs01 said:

happyinBCS said:

in the last 10 years up 97% on my personal home in the last 10 years on commercial property I own down 3% yet the market value is up over 100% WHY do they only raise the values on residential and don't touch commercial
I've wondered about that too. The legislature has discussed lowering the residential homestead cap to 5% instead of 10%. The argument against is that in states with lower homestead caps, there can be a big disparity between property taxes of neighbors in similarly valued properties depending on how long ago they bought it. But if commercial property valuations don't keep up with the market, it means homeowners are subsidizing long-time owners of commercial real estate. Not cool.

I checked a few commercial properties--Target, Walmart, Kroger, HEB--they have gone up a fair bit the past year or two, but often are stagnant for many years before that and have seen nowhere near the increases homes have. I don't know whether that reflects the underlying market or not.
this has been going on for a while

I brought it up in a protest and was told we cant even discuss it because it wasn't germain

my response was that it was commercial property directly attached to my neighborhood and could easily be zoned for homes again. In my comparison I was coming up with a price per acre compared to the residential neighborhood around them.

at the time I was looking at properties all along South College and Villa Maria, the newer walmart on 2818 got some sorta sweetheart deal on taxes

But yes, homeowners are subsiding commercial real estate as their actual values skyrocket

I think we are over taxed
dallasiteinsa02
pacecar02 said:

scs01 said:

happyinBCS said:

in the last 10 years up 97% on my personal home in the last 10 years on commercial property I own down 3% yet the market value is up over 100% WHY do they only raise the values on residential and don't touch commercial
I've wondered about that too. The legislature has discussed lowering the residential homestead cap to 5% instead of 10%. The argument against is that in states with lower homestead caps, there can be a big disparity between property taxes of neighbors in similarly valued properties depending on how long ago they bought it. But if commercial property valuations don't keep up with the market, it means homeowners are subsidizing long-time owners of commercial real estate. Not cool.

I checked a few commercial properties--Target, Walmart, Kroger, HEB--they have gone up a fair bit the past year or two, but often are stagnant for many years before that and have seen nowhere near the increases homes have. I don't know whether that reflects the underlying market or not.
this has been going on for a while

I brought it up in a protest and was told we cant even discuss it because it wasn't germain

my response was that it was commercial property directly attached to be my neighborhood and could easily be zoned for homes again. In my comparison I was coming up with a price per acre compared to the residential neighborhood around them.

at the time I was looking at properties all along South College and Villa Maria, the newer walmart on 2818 got some sorta sweetheart deal on taxes

But yes, homeowners are subsiding commercial real estate as their actual values skyrocket

I think we are over taxed
I want there to be a mechanism that commercial properties can be acquired by any 3rd party for 130% of the appraised value. They just send notice and close on it. I want to see these businesses decide that they need to get their values up to market to prevent a forced sale.
threecatcorner
Maybe KBTX does get story ideas from this board.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/04/digging-deeper-rising-tax-appraisals-its-impact-low-medium-income-households/
hopeandrealchange
threecatcorner said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/04/digging-deeper-rising-tax-appraisals-its-impact-low-medium-income-households/

The report mentions to schedule your appeal asap.
I would think we would all be better served to wait until others have fought the battle and then we can use the new numbers as comps. And in the past I have found them to be overwhelmed as the process goes on and they seem to be more agreeable to settle in the informal setting.
I will be waiting until the last day to take them my appeals.
threecatcorner
Is there a specific date by which you have to appeal?

If so, maybe post a reminder of the date.

I rent so don't have anything to appeal, although I certainly hope my landlords will be appealing. There's no way my rent won't be going up, but when BCAD doesn't go nuts, it's only a minor increase. Last year was higher than normal because BCAD increased what they said this place is worth by more than what used to be their normal amount of increase.
war hymn aggie
AG
saw that my new appraised value that I was mailed is now updated on the website.

https://esearch.brazoscad.org/

value of my home only increased 9% here along Bee Creek area in CS, but still went up over $30K .
Live just a few houses from Mayor Nichols & his home value went up 10% so I guess that this is about average for my neighborhood.
JR Ewing
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

threecatcorner said:

The report mentions to schedule your appeal asap.
I would think we would all be better served to wait until others have fought the battle and then we can use the new numbers as comps. And in the past I have found them to be overwhelmed as the process goes on and they seem to be more agreeable to settle in the informal setting.
I will be waiting until the last day to take them my appeals.

The appraisal district likes to know how big the problem is. It is best for them to be bombarded with protest the final week of submissions. They are the enemy in this situation and allowing then to settle over time helps them and hurts the landowner. Bombard them and take every case to the board of review in disagreement.
Another Doug
AG
When I was kid I always thought it would be hard work to become a millionaire. Turns out I can just stay at home and Brazos CAD will do it for me.
exalted512
AG
Is there a website that helps assist with the proper way to submit an appeal?
happyinBCS
Ownwell they will do it for you
Daytona22
AG
When you submit an appeal online is it like the iSettle process in Houston where they will give you a potentially lower offer or is it just where it sets up the hearing time/date?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Does anyone have any testimonials from Ownwell or other firms that have successfully challenged valuations?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.